eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

Hey everyone, what's up?
I've been playing a bit of this lately. Put my master league aside for a while and started a league mode as Juventus.
I much prefer playing and not reading emails, making transfers etc.

Settled on Professional with PA1, basic shooting and advanced through balls. Have shifted it to Top Player the last few games as I wanted the AI to attack me a bit more.

Skip to 20 seconds. I liked the through ball and eventual save from the goalkeeper on this play
https://gameclips.io/CalcioCalabrese/1bbb26b0-ad79-4167-b0cc-ab101219d3bd

Here was a nice, but fairly easily free kick from Dybala. Skip to 20 seconds again.
https://gameclips.io/CalcioCalabrese/3d9e6bbc-9bbc-470f-b0f0-30b4b276cc66

Hey everyone, what's up?
I've been playing a bit of this lately. Put my master league aside for a while and started a league mode as Juventus.
I much prefer playing and not reading emails, making transfers etc.

Settled on Professional with PA1, basic shooting and advanced through balls. Have shifted it to Top Player the last few games as I wanted the AI to attack me a bit more.

Skip to 20 seconds. I liked the through ball and eventual save from the goalkeeper on this play
https://gameclips.io/CalcioCalabrese/1bbb26b0-ad79-4167-b0cc-ab101219d3bd

Here was a nice, but fairly easily free kick from Dybala. Skip to 20 seconds again.
https://gameclips.io/CalcioCalabrese/3d9e6bbc-9bbc-470f-b0f0-30b4b276cc66
How do you feel league mode Vs ML stack up in scripting (or CPU bullshit)?
I've played league mode on 18/19 and it felt better than ML,and theres no Team spirit to deal with right?

much less in league mode, ive never once thought i have been cheated so its either very well hidden or doesn't exist
Yeah just saw that @CalcioCalabrese posted in the Pes 20 thread on League mode,haven't played it since 18/19.
Might very well go for it.
What settings do you use?
I play PA0,and in ML it feels quite unresponsive.
But deffo looking in to a league mode campaign mate

I thought of starting a league either, but I´m sure I´ll miss building up weak teams and young players.

Going down on advanced from professional is a strange thing.
I have long winning streaks, but then matches in between which are very challenging.

I am the national coach of England and the world cup was coming up.
I failed in group stage against Serbia and Ghana.
These games have been very tough....lost both 1:2.

Strange thing was...in both matches players felt quite sluggish and slow, whereas in the next league match with Pescara, players have been more responsive again.
The super cup match was a tough one too, which I lost against Bayern.

But the regular league matches seem quite easy, but still....I rather take that instead of the heavy scripting which frustrates me.
On advanced if I concede goals....they are played well and never really frustrating,

League matches on professional might be the sweet spot, as I also think that they are less scripted compared to ML.

Another assumption might be....
I´m using klashman´s tactics and the matches I had on the world cup was against teams with vanilla tactics.
Could it be that these edited tactics happen to gain more space which makes it a bit easier?

I thought of starting a league either, but I´m sure I´ll miss building up weak teams and young players.

Going down on advanced from professional is a strange thing.
I have long winning streaks, but then matches in between which are very challenging.

I am the national coach of England and the world cup was coming up.
I failed in group stage against Serbia and Ghana.
These games have been very tough....lost both 1:2.

Strange thing was...in both matches players felt quite sluggish and slow, whereas in the next league match with Pescara, players have been more responsive again.
The super cup match was a tough one too, which I lost against Bayern.

But the regular league matches seem quite easy, but still....I rather take that instead of the heavy scripting which frustrates me.
On advanced if I concede goals....they are played well and never really frustrating,

League matches on professional might be the sweet spot, as I also think that they are less scripted compared to ML.

Another assumption might be....
I´m using klashman´s tactics and the matches I had on the world cup was against teams with vanilla tactics.
Could it be that these edited tactics happen to gain more space which makes it a bit easier?
I'm really tempted to start a League mode,I'm having a fairly easy time on Regular difficulty on my Lecce ML.
Plays great though,and once I went back to a very low Stadium cam it got pretty challenging.
I'm also using klashmans tactics.
I think I'll go ahead and start up a league mode,gonna miss transfers and also skipping games

Two games played (League mode)
I'm playing as Lecce professional/20 min/PA0.
It's like night and day Vs ML.
50/50 battles are just that,not 0/100.
Players are much more aware and awake.
Even when you get tackled of the ball,you still have a decent chance to get up and win it back.
You really can tell how much TS screws this game up in ML.
Best games I've had on Pes 20 so far.
If you like playing Pes ,but hate the scripting bs of ML,I'd switch in a Heartbeat.
Saw no signs of bs scripting in my two games.
Not even the "so you just scored...guess what so will the CPU in 2 min or so"
Really liked it,and finally I can have a Serie A campaign this year

Maybe there are some good news for everyone expecting a bigger budget invested in Pes and other Konami videogames.

https://twinfinite.net/2020/01/konami-financial-results-q3-2020/

This year they lost lots of money according to their latest financial report and they are rethinking their strategy by investing in

Highly doubt they lost money at all. Konami has loads of business within Japan from video games to gyms/training accessories its indeed a multi company within Japan just like GE, they do almost everything. On top their slot machines generated 200% revenue lately. In Japan people crazy over those, some even live out of those. Hence that doesnt mean the company would invest in enhancing graphics or ai or ML for PES. PES sales are stabile, microtransactions are stabile, possibly they have a plan (that 3 years) what to invest in for the game and what to implement until PS5.

Only thing we should hope for that they dont have to start from scratch with next gen. They are at the halfway line with PES2020 would be a shame to go all the way back.

Last edited:
It's moments like these where I'm really mindboggled by what they're doing. Considering the transfer windows keep getting bigger and more extravagant, you'd think they'd use some of that hype. There's really no excuse for not having all transfers yet, it's such a massive priority and given the resources they have it's really quite pathetic. The editing community is capable of doing this and it's often a single individual who is sacrificing their own spare time. But a quick glance at their twitter feed explains all of this I suppose. All eFootball nonsense (my opinion)

Hmm,have to check,but im sure some are Missing.
I'll get back to you on that
The most recent Live Update will be tomorrow. Except for this ,most transfers i think will be fixed after next week DataPack 13/2/2020???, as someone mentioned.

It's moments like these where I'm really mindboggled by what they're doing. Considering the transfer windows keep getting bigger and more extravagant, you'd think they'd use some of that hype. There's really no excuse for not having all transfers yet, it's such a massive priority and given the resources they have it's really quite pathetic. The editing community is capable of doing this and it's often a single individual who is sacrificing their own spare time. But a quick glance at their twitter feed explains all of this I suppose. All eFootball nonsense (my opinion)

Without wanting to play KONAMIs advocate, that's how they work the last 10 years. They do little critical fixes with Live Updates and save power for the big update (Monster patch!!! :P :P ) on Datapacks. Furthermore they have improved from previous years, that they used to give away the winter transfer-window on March or April. Now they achieve it on early or late February. Plus they never promised they will work more intensive on this, never promised up to date rosters, i mean they don't lie on this specific topic.

Last edited:
The most recent Live Update will be tomorrow. Except for this ,most transfers i think will be fixed after next week DataPack 13/2/2020???, as someone mentioned.

Without wanting to play KONAMIs advocate, that's how they work the last 10 years. They do little critical fixes with Live Updates and save power for the big update (Monster patch!!! :P :P ) on Datapacks. Furthermore they have improved from previous years, that they used to give away the winter transfer-window on March or April. Now they achieve it on early or late February. Plus they never promised they will work more intensive on this, never promised up to date rosters, i mean they don't lie on this specific topic.
I'm not trying to say I expected something different, I just question why they operate like this. It really shouldn't be a big deal to come out with consistent updates that actually add content to the game, instead of having to wait months and get it all in one go. Especially seeing how the rival game has massively stepped their game up in terms of facescanning and the like. Of course PES can't function at that level but the lack of updates in this sense is simply lazy. I'm not even asking for loads of new faces, but adding players like Ibrahimovic and Rooney back into the game only for them to add their actual faces a month later just looks dumb.

Highly doubt they lost money at all. Konami has loads of business within Japan from video games to gyms/training accessories its indeed a multi company within Japan just like GE, they do almost everything. On top their slot machines generated 200% revenue lately. In Japan people crazy over those, some even live out of those. Hence that doesnt mean the company would invest in enhancing graphics or ai or ML for PES. PES sales are stabile, microtransactions are stabile, possibly they have a plan (that 3 years) what to invest in for the game and what to implement until PS5.

Only thing we should hope for that they dont have to start from scratch with next gen. They are at the halfway line with PES2020 would be a shame to go all the way back.
Last fall, a Konami slot machine in Atlantic City snatched another 10 bucks from me, ON TOP of my PES2020 purchase! :LOL:

Last fall, a Konami slot machine in Atlantic City snatched another 10 bucks from me, ON TOP of my PES2020 purchase! :LOL:

the great thing about the slots is you can tell within minutes, you're paying for a turd.

with the latter it takes about 10 years.

I'm not trying to say I expected something different, I just question why they operate like this. It really shouldn't be a big deal to come out with consistent updates that actually add content to the game, instead of having to wait months and get it all in one go. Especially seeing how the rival game has massively stepped their game up in terms of facescanning and the like. Of course PES can't function at that level but the lack of updates in this sense is simply lazy. I'm not even asking for loads of new faces, but adding players like Ibrahimovic and Rooney back into the game only for them to add their actual faces a month later just looks dumb.
Yes i understand. I don't know why the act like this. I have the same question as you. I assume if we could ever ask them, the replies would be the common, small team, limited resources, etc...

Btw does anyone watch the Facebook feedback group? They were active the first period, with much humor, but months have past since the last time i saw someone sharing a post of them.

Sorry for late reply guys - timezone differences and all that.

Feels really good in league mode - Professional was fine and not too easy and I've gone over to Top Player which feels a bit better. On ML mode it felt like they were in your face a bit more and it was hard to find space for a shot. I tend to play slower build up and not constant 1-2's. I like hitting early crosses or dinked through balls like Pirlo. Advanced through balls are good once you get the hang of them.

I wish the normal crosses had more whip to them like they did on FIFA 19 (haven't played the new one). They tend to go straight. Also the early crosses can be hard to get on the end of with a header as they either go too far (even with a slight tap of power) or your striker doesn't get there or the player doesn't switch sometimes. On FIFA I remember you could score some great goals from headers because of the trajectory of the ball and the players being able to attack the space. Seems a lot less common on PES, unfortunately.

Mandzukic is still in the Juventus team and I noticed Brescia didn't have their correct name in the Master League mode...I thought that got fixed???

Also - if anyone can point me to a guide so I can update the EPL and any International kits with correct colours etc. I wouldn't mind trying a league mode in England and a few International tournaments :)

Got My ass kicked by Roma 3-0.
So far 4 wins 3 losses,I bet the bottom teams but tough games Vs the better ones.
Even though it's still tough to beat lower rated teams as well.
This is a keeper,thought that they'd updated the game,so this first season will be a test run before the update rolls out

Speaking of ML, part of me was worried about going down to Pro because it would become too easy. I felt it was an absolutely necessary change for me to enjoy the game and I am glad i did it:

eFootball PES 2020_20200205025229.jpg

Professional. 20 minute match. Game speed -2. Fixed cursor.

15 shots in the first half. 1 goal. 4 shots in the second half. 3 goals.

A combination of dogged defending and a lot of shots right at the keeper made for a frustrating first 30 minutes. Second half was a much different experience when they were chasing the match.

I prefer ML because i like the idea of an ever evolving football world which you miss in league mode.

As for my concerns with difficulty, I think self imposed house rules will keep me from running over the better teams I come up against.

I played another match besides this one last night. Beat Norwich away 2-1. It was another match I dominated statistically, as I would've expected I would, but there were certainly times Norwich made me nervous. Pukki was a pest, as he should be. And for about 15 minutes in the second half, Norwich looked very much like tying it up.

I was pretty pleased with how both matches played out.

Got My ass kicked by Roma 3-0.
So far 4 wins 3 losses,I bet the bottom teams but tough games Vs the better ones.
Even though it's still tough to beat lower rated teams as well.
This is a keeper,thought that they'd updated the game,so this first season will be a test run before the update rolls out
Since i have tried most possible ways this year, had a 6 seasons ML run and many save restarts, possibly more than 10 save restarts, 85% of them on TopPlayer and 15% on Superstar, leaving Superstar outside of criticism for the moment, i can assure you that no matter the difficulty, the ML plays much different the first season, than it plays the second and the following seasons. BUT I MEAN HOW HUMAN CONTROLLED PLAYERS play, not the CPU teams!

Especially the TS, when you start with a regular 50~60 affects very much your team and distorts/holds back your players stats. If you keep the same players and start hitting 80s in TS, you will see much different team, the same players with similar stats start playing more according to their stats. Hitting 90s in TS on TopPlayer starts to make you feel invincible or that you must put difficulty one level-up.

Seeing it strictly in terms of stats and numbers, there is a whole season you must survive until your players start tuning up with all the background stats and traits connecting to TS, the team roles, the familiarity with playstyles, center/wide, pressure/conservative, etc.. The personality traits lonewolf etc...

To give an example, if you pick MILAN and you want your MILAN to play like MILAN, let's say MILAN from exhibition/league mode, you must wait until TS hits 99 or 90's at general and wait for a season to past, to happen this and all players raise their affinity with tactics. And keeping outside other factors like, players regressing/progressing, teamroles, etc.

I do not know how to explain it better. By personal experience, every time i start a new save, i see difference as day and night to my players handicap, from a save on season 3 , going again on season 1 and then advancing to season 2 in the new save.

Last edited:
Since i have tried most possible ways this year, had a 6 seasons ML run and many save restarts, possibly more than 10 save restarts, 85% of them on TopPlayer and 15% on Superstar, leaving Superstar outside of criticism for the moment, i can assure you that no matter the difficulty, the ML plays much different the first season, than it plays the second and the following seasons. BUT I MEAN HOW HUMAN CONTROLLED PLAYERS play, not the CPU teams!

Especially the TS, when you start with a regular 50~60 affects very much your team and distorts/holds back your players stats. If you keep the same players and start hitting 80s in TS, you will see much different team, the same players with similar stats start playing more according to their stats. Hitting 90s in TS on TopPlayer starts to make you feel invincible or that you must put difficulty one level-up.

Seeing it strictly in terms of stats and numbers, there is a whole season you must survive until your players start tuning up with all the background stats and traits connecting to TS, the team roles, the familiarity with playstyles, center/wide, pressure/conservative, etc.. The personality traits lonewolf etc...

To give an example, if you pick MILAN and you want your MILAN to play like MILAN, let's say MILAN from exhibition/league mode, you must wait until TS hits 99 or 90's at general and wait for a season to past, to happen this and all players raise their affinity with tactics. And keeping outside other factors like, players regressing/progressing, teamroles, etc.

I do not know how to explain it better. By personal experience, every time i start a new save, i see difference as day and night to my players handicap, from a save on season 3 , going again on season 1 and then advancing to season 2 in the new save.
Well explained,and that's pretty much how my experience with Pes has been since -16.
Problem is I don't have the patience to take Roma/Milan through a crap season.
I use to be able to do it,but I feel that it has become worse each year,and not being able to play the right way because my players are handicapped by TS breaks it all for me.
Obviously you can sim a whole season to raise TS,and start your real season in season two,but not much fun in that.
And I feel it's gotten worse,I could take it on Pes 17-18,but not now,breaks it all for me.

Well explained,and that's pretty much how my experience with Pes has been since -16.
Problem is I don't have the patience to take Roma/Milan through a crap season.
I use to be able to do it,but I feel that it has become worse each year,and not being able to play the right way because my players are handicapped by TS breaks it all for me.
Obviously you can sim a whole season to raise TS,and start your real season in season two,but not much fun in that.
And I feel it's gotten worse,I could take it on Pes 17-18,but not now,breaks it all for me.
Yes you are right. And add to this the standard carp of ML handicap, despite any TS, E.G. Frosinone playing better than Ajax of 1995 while Inter and Juve play passive defensive game, holding the 0-0 on any difficulty level, and you get the final screen.

Add to all these something i experienced many times, and posted about on greek PES forum. Even if you have a boosted TS using players with team roles, there is always the "TRUE TS" thats how i named it, which is the most important that defies the gameplay. I mean if you have MILAN with Suso captain and the TS hits 85,this is the visible TS, i name it "camouflaged TS", cause if you assign as captain someone without a teamrole, you see the TRUE TS, lets say it is 70. The TRUE TS grows faster than the camouflaged one. I mean if the camouflaged goes from 85-89, your true can go from 70 to 84. Your team with camouflaged 89 TS will play better when they have TRUE TS 80, than when they have camouflaged 87 and TRUE TS 70.
It sounds a little bit complicated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom