eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I downloaded DP6/update no difference in the game play IMO. I play offline only and on Manual, and I really like the game this year.

Even with super fast SSD drives in next-gen consoles, PES will still have these 2-second freezes during fouls/throw-ins/goal kicks...

It's the only thing Konami never fixed since PES 2008 and is so annoying...

Watching that video again, it looks so open and arcade, almost football kingdom. Is that superstar?

Its Online plays

Right, I see. I may check it out. Havent played in weeks so nothing to lose updating it I suppose...

The one good thing about data pack 5 is that it makes you slow attacks down on superstar and makes you really wait for runs...
I'm trying to avoid going back to a game where it's just stringing attacks together, chaining passes together...

If you do end up playing any offline matches vs AI, let us know how it sizes up in terms of rhythm and pace and midfield resistance, general arcade/simulation leaning.

Right, I see. I may check it out. Havent played in weeks so nothing to lose updating it I suppose...

The one good thing about data pack 5 is that it makes you slow attacks down on superstar and makes you really wait for runs...
I'm trying to avoid going back to a game where it's just stringing attacks together, chaining passes together...

If you do end up playing any offline matches vs AI, let us know how it sizes up in terms of rhythm and pace and midfield resistance, general arcade/simulation leaning.
For sure man, you should deffo play to get your own opinion, at first it wasnt good but as i played more games it got better, certain youll enjoy dp6

Folks, is there a way to edit those players' market price in PS4?

0wm0ZDz.png

I'll be honest. I spend more time thinking about BAL than I should. I'm admittedly an annoyingly stubborn person. That's why I keep wanting to give BAL another go instead of just sticking with fixed cursor ML lol

Just played 4 offline league games vs AI. Exactly the same as before, impotent feeling when dribbling and shooting ,one more pass is always the answer.

Had a couple of games last night. I've been editing, found some doubled players in ML - thought I better check if there are more and turns out I have about 150 showing. I've used FM scout and basically replaced them with a ton of 16 & 17 year old youth players. I can't play ML with fake or doubled players.

Anyway, back to the game. I found since the last update that after a few games everything felt a bit 'samey'.

Thought I'd give DP6 a try and bloody hell, it's so much better. I've already seen several things I'd not before...

Couple of animations. 1 was a tackle, my player was chasing back, the AI lost control of the ball for a split second so I slid in - usually these end in a foul. But this time, he got his whole body across, took the lot and it looked superb. No foul either.

More randomness - seeing some lovely battles in midfield, balls bouncing randomly etc...

Dribbling - Not sure if it's where I've just tried to find how to make dribbling work for me better but I deffo felt more of a 'buzz' getting a player on the ball who can do a bit more. Played ad Flamengo and everytime Vitinho got on it, I was able to skin a couple of players and drive at the AI defence. Deffo felt improved.

Seen a few more flicks and tricks. AI did me a treat with a chop turn then playing as Santos as some bald guy in midfield whips out a rabona pass down the wing. Never seen that, only a rare occasion when crossing the ball.

Oh and the biggest one is I scored not once... but twice from about 30 yards out. 1st one, the ball came out to my midfielder, on the half volley and I just blazed it into the top corner. Second one, tight game, finding it hard to create chances, ball broke loose and I thought 'I'm gonna ping it'. Again, top corner, rocket shot. Before them I think I'd scored 1 possibly 2 from distant since the game came out.

Very happy with this update, it's not changed the world but its done enough for me.

Will finish my editing today, 3 days of trawling the Internet trying to find the height of some 17 year old kid from Holland who is in Wolfsburg U19s or summat. Won't miss sitting there with the laptop on my lap for 6 or 7 hours.

Then it's time for a fresh ML. Usually write the 1st season off as a script and team spirit fest - once you're through that it's class IMO.

DP5 SS. controller down. opponent cpu just stands there.
DP6 SS. controller down. opponent cpu still stands there or backs off but within a couple of seconds will attack to take the ball off you.

DP5 was bad.

I'm getting a bit tired though - klashing up things, isureapering up things, then a new DP comes out and again playtesting.

YAAAAAAAWN.

i like abcdefg's idea of editing ML players but YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN too much effort at the mo.

the game lacks consistency through its updates. how it considers itself a potential esport is laughable for this very reason.

once footy resumes everyones going to fat from eating pancakes and all the player models will need to be redone and released as PES 2021 body packs.

Played a few games this morning. Noticed some nice little touches/animations to get the ball under control, long ball seems to work great and long distance shooting seemed excellent.

Played a few matched on DP 6.0. Small difference i noticed, the general player control and awareness is a lil bit more responsive but in the cost of rendering useless the "Iniesta dribbling" with R-stick again. On TopPlayer, against CPU it only works when you move alone in empty-void. Even uf you wrong foot the defender, the animation is so slow that CPU has the time to recover and intercept you.
Also noticed my defence line, (don't remember if it was the case before, i almost missed DP5.0) i use Frontline Pressure + Aggressive, but my DMF although they are Anchorman and Destroyer tend to stay too far from defending action near my box and my D-Line tends to retreat back despite my instructions, creating gaps in my defending third.

This patch continues the konami pattern-3 patch cycle.
Patch A makes the game more dynamic free and exciting..
Patch B tries to make it heavier and more measured bit it becomes dull.
Patch C finds the middle ground.
They've done this over and over since august.

This patch does restore DP4 excitement etc. Dribbling, especially little right stick flicks is great again. AI feels a lot more alive, although back to high shot success on SS.
And generally, the game just looks extraordinary, graphics, animations, the patterns of play, the way the ball looks as it moves, it could be TV at times.

But...I just feel a little listless when I play. And it's been this way for a month now with pes. The game feels a little empty, and it shouldn't cos it 'looks' spot on.

Three issues I struggle to get past are

lack of pes 2011-15 type pa1, where there is potential direction error on EVERY pass, not just when play is fast or computer decides there will be an error.
It takes the knife-edge jeopardy away (manual is not the answer, manual is a paradigm shift in terms of how to play, not just an adjustment to skill level. It also reduces the intensity of the game overall).
Pass error effects dribbling too, because you're less likely to dribble in dangerous areas if you know the next pass could go wrong. In pes now, you can dribble whenever knowing that the only danger in the next pass is whether or not one of your players will be available or 'reachable' with the pass, because if they are, generally aiming at them secures the pass. So the overall thrill of every moment is reduced with this lack of pass error.

The second issue is player individuality. It is there, it just doesnt really come to bear on games beyond dribbling and a few other aspects.

The final one is the biggie. The game often feels canned and empty. Even when theres variety and random things happening (random in the sense of the subjective experience, I accept there is no random in a computer game), even then it feels canned. The world of the game, of an individual match does not feel alive, in the way it did in pes 5 or even up to pes 13 (I rarely enjoyed ps3 pes).
More importantly for me, the world of each match does not feel malleable, or pliable or manipulate. It feels like I'm stuck doing things within its limits. That is how all games work, but a good game hides that feeling. Everything feels rubber banded. I get why people have been enjoying les 17 because it didnt feel that way, neither did pes 18 in the end, even though they didnt have a free pa1.

Another way I'd describe it is that the world of each match does not feel responsive or elastic. It feels set, in stone.
I realised this today when I fired up fifa 20 after playing DP6. Fifa has the weirdest animations and physics and does not look anywhere near as close to a real match on tv as pes. But...one thing happened to me today that reminded me of a pes ps2 moment.

As i sent in a cross along the ground from the left flank, I had control of piszcek for Dortmund, so i was coming into the box from right back. I was a little to the right of the penalty spot. I decided to place the ball in to the far corner, along the ground, using the goalies momentum as he would be hurrying across his goal line to line himself up with me.
As I tried it (I didn't get the shot far enough into the far corner so the goalie got fingers to it) I felt this sudden rush of joy, elation and sadness all mixed into one and flashed back, literally in time and I was playing as valencia against depor at the riazor, pes 5 in that beautiful dusky lighting it has during the day.

And I realised why...it was that feeling of being able to mould individual moments of a match to your choosing, the ability to use a moment of insight and craft and see it play out on the pitch, not in a binary fashion, but in an elastic way, where the outcome feels uncertain, where there is a feeling of something bring created 'in the moment'.

And in that moment, the scales fell from my eyes. I realised why virtually every pes since ps2 days has left me empty after a couple months. There simply isnt that texture, that feeling of depth that you can actually travel through in a tangible way, so that the experience gets inside you, so that it mirrors the way we actually think and move, organically and in stages, with uncertainty.

The thing is, through the year on year nature of pes, because that feeling was lost through successive game engines that have often blended into each other, its not always been obvious, to me at least, exactly when that feeling, that quality in the game was lost. I've become conditioned year on year by what's been put in front of me by konami and have gradually forgotten what it was that got me so excited by pes, that made it so damn addictive, often having an almost religious experience playing it, especially pes 3 and 5.

If I tried that action now in pes 20, too often, the game either rubber bands and the keeper magically warps across his line, my shot goes straight at the goalie or it goes in and the goalie does nothing and although what I wanted to happen happened, the world of the game didnt actually respond to my idea as it should, leaving the whole moment feeling empty.

Sorry, long post I know...

Back
Top Bottom