eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

That through ball from Mendy was a thing of beauty.

I feel like FUMA is the most fun way to play this game, It forces you to really engage with every pass and piece of decision making in a match rather than just passively tapping X to pass until you get a chance on goal.

2020 let's this down on occasion due to responsiveness issues so if it's been ironed out like people say than i'm sure this will be a blast to play.

I strongly recommend the use of Advanced Through ball. You can put the ball everywhere in the pitch.

Imagine the feeling in their camp when Messi came out saying he wanted to leave Barca... :SHOCK::DD

I've not managed to play 2021 yet, but while I get through a day of work, can anyone advise did we get 12 new songs? Not sure I can hack the same ones for another 12 months...
All new songs and a bit bland overall

Quite funny that they haven't provided us with a demo? Must be pretty easy organizational work to get done and an easy way for us to buy it... Still isn't sure.

Even if it's actually feels good for the first couple of games, i'm so tired of being bored after a few months.

Had a blast this morning before work, and IMO it plays a lot like how 2020 played before the AI runs of of ideas and then scripting ruins everything.

I did. Got too annoyed with his voice so I quickly switched off.

EDIT: That's incredibly childish of me, apologies. I'm in a bad mood, baby kept me awake all night. I'd kill for sleep now.

But I'll wait until I read @rockstrongo etc opinion on this before spending (wasting?) money on it.
Hope you get some sleep buddy,now isn't the right time to tell you my daughter slept every night as a baby?
(Sorry)

Yeah I'm keeping clear of this one,I've moved away from Pes right now,20 was shite,can't really play a game were I sit say "why/what the hell/fucking hell" every five six minute playing it.

I'll give it a go when it's on game pass I think.
Pes 19 League mode and FIFA 20 is keeping me busy with "good enough" gameplay.

Ah come on, Stan. I think it's fair to use some creative language (i.e. "insane") when we're talking about ML issues where the AI wrestles control off you and your players don't respond to your input in certain scenarios (particularly when you're running after a ball and your player stops dead for a second, in order for the AI to get there first). All documented stuff, which I've got videos of myself.

If you think it's incorrect for me to call overlooking that stuff "insane", when I'm clearly not being literal, then... I don't know what to tell you. I understand you may not see that stuff, or even mind it - but surely I can describe it that way, when I can prove that stuff happens to me.

In-fact, as I said in that post - if you enjoy PES 2020, then A) I'm jealous and B) PES 2021 has improved responsiveness so you'll enjoy what you get out of it. My point is that it's important to expect just that, and not 100 changes. Which some are making it out to have. I'm not accusing anyone of anything - but I'm pointing out that, in TTB's gameplay video, you see a lot of the same issues 2020 has.
Chris you clearly misread my post. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. I didn't mind at all. If i gave the impression you hurt my feelings, then i'ml apologizing, because i did not feel hurt at all.
This said, saying something tongue in cheek always has some sort of 'deeper' meaning.
After all the prejudices against this update, do you really expect a fair assessment about it?
People who kind of like it are seen by some of these critics as imbeciles who are ignorant.

This all so subjective and all so affected by hypes and trends. One example: i see an appreciation thread about PES 2014. When that game was out, it was massacred on this site. The game was a couple of months too early in the shops because it wasn't the finished product (and that was reason enough to be very critical) but underneath all the bugs there was a good game. When i pointed that out, i got abuse...and now. it becomes a cult classic...this forum is nuts ans this thread is a sewer. I'm off again.

Take care my friend.

Enjoy the update.

Chris you clearly misread my post. My comment was meant to be tongue in cheek. I didn't mind at all. If i gave the impression you hurt my feelings, then i'ml apologizing, because i did not feel hurt at all.
This said, saying something tongue in cheek always has some sort of 'deeper' meaning.
After all the prejudices against this update, do you really expect a fair assessment about it?
People who kind of like it are seen by some of these critics as imbeciles who are ignorant.

This all so subjective and all so affected by hypes and trends. One example: i see an appreciation thread about PES 2014. When that game was out, it was massacred on this site. The game was a couple of months too early in the shops because it wasn't the finished product (and that was reason enough to be very critical) but underneath all the bugs there was a good game. When i pointed that out, i got abuse...and now. it becomes a cult classic...this forum is nuts ans this thread is a sewer. I'm off again.

Take care my friend.

Enjoy the update.
Pes 14 was horrendous even after patches.

Last great pes was pes 13

I take anything and everything this guy says with a huge pinch of salt. PES Universe, which he represents, literally makes money from people buying their option file. He's not going to say the game is terrible.
While that's true he said in the end of year Pes 2020 review that ít's not very good, and TrueBrit gave it a 6/10. So while there is an apparent conflict of interest he usually does not shy away from presenting the issues with the games.

I strongly disagree on the "sewer" bit - weirdly enough, just a couple of weeks ago, I was in a group chat with a few mods where we were talking about how interesting the conversation and/or debate had been recently. I'd hope we fairly (even if "strongly") discuss everything, whilst being free to agree or disagree (and if anything goes over a decency line, if we see it and/or if it's reported, we act on it).

That being said... "Nuts" is absolutely right - I wouldn't be surprised if after 3-4 next-gen versions, I'm the guy who creates a "PES 2021 appreciation thread". "Hey guys, I didn't play this game on release but I've gone back to it now in desperation and turns out it's loads better than PES 2025" etc... That one I won't even contest... :D But, better to care and overthink all this stuff, and lose yourself in what we all know is silly football gaming news and debate for a while, than read the news and being horrified with the world we live in, right? ;)

Fuck me that trailer is on the (my) money. It's only gone and shown ISS PE with Kittie having a dig. Kittie for crying out loud! The original, lost generation of ML jobbers. And the Castolo reference (although I reject the name; it's Castello). Fast forward and they could hardly be more relevant than picking out Davies, Rashford and Ronaldo as a supporting cast. And I think they've whored out the gameplay effectively. Kudos.

A little bit concerned reading from some quarters that there are fewer fouls and through balls are less effective. I thought the only way was up.

Anyway, thanks to a September birthday, very few personal interests and a family of poor communicators, not one but two copies will be handed over to me today. Tonight I'll play a few games of 2020 to get a feel for the changes. Hopefully it's not a continuation of DP8 rather the earlier patches (I'm one of those guys) and I'll play a few games of it, too. Otherwise I've got a PS2 and PS3 alongside my PS4 locked an loaded with PESes 1 and 2013, respectively, ready to take the taste away.

Ah come on, Stan. I think it's fair to use some creative language (i.e. "insane") when we're talking about ML issues where the AI wrestles control off you and your players don't respond to your input in certain scenarios (particularly when you're running after a ball and your player stops dead for a second, in order for the AI to get there first). All documented stuff, which I've got videos of myself.

If you think it's incorrect for me to call overlooking that stuff "insane", when I'm clearly not being literal, then... I don't know what to tell you. I understand you may not see that stuff, or even mind it - but surely I can describe it that way, when I can prove that stuff happens to me.

In-fact, as I said in that post - if you enjoy PES 2020, then A) I'm jealous and B) PES 2021 has improved responsiveness so you'll enjoy what you get out of it. My point is that it's important to expect just that, and not 100 changes. Which some are making it out to have. I'm not accusing anyone of anything - but I'm pointing out that, in TTB's gameplay video, you see a lot of the same issues 2020 has.
With all due respect Chris, I'm not seeing people saying here the game is perfect and all issues from PES2020 are fixed, am I missing something? I believe people are expecting exact same game as PES2020 as it was anyway advertised by Konami, with hope of some subtle changes like responsiveness, that's fair isn't it? If somehow, there are people expecting it to have all PES2020 flaws fixed, then they are lunatics, it aint gonna happen, and it was clear from the beginning, but I can't see those people at least here? Nobody here is also saying that those responsiveness tweaks now out of the blue make the games "perfect" and it was the only missing bit in PES2020.

Now, moving a bit into PES2022 and common expectations that changing the game engine will all of a sudden fix everything we've gone past 10years is also lunatic. It gives some hope, sure, but it's not the game engine alone that makes the difference, especially at PES department, as @Gabe12 already mentioned I believed, and few other folks here. To bring PES on the level we expect, end to end, not only base gameplay, but the whole package, is completely different story and requires so much more investment, design decisions and taking some risk as a champ at the same time, not following same routines like past 10 years in all areas. I still have hopes but at the same time I'm on a fence, being aware of all those things that needs improvement I'm quite sceptical. If they have not changed approach 180 degree then at best we can only expect good base gameplay (and even this is not guaranteed by new engine, it still can be worse than we have atm) and empty vessel in all other areas. I would even argue those are even more important at this point than sole gameplay. Yeah I know we used to say PES is all about gameplay, but it's been more than decade we lack so basic stuff excluding the gameplay that desperately needs investment.

Last edited:
Oh please...its rinse and repeat with people in here every year. You desperately want to like it but its totally unsatisfying

You quoted me..

Dude I loved winning eleven and all it’s evolutions..and yes this is the closest we’ve come to that..

I think you need to try 21 yourself..It’s so SUPER PLAYABLE and responsive.

I don’t mind if you don’t like it but let’s deal in facts..Not misguided ideas that this is the same game as 20..Thats just not true and the improvements just STAND out.

Is this actually confirmed/proven? I've heard a few state it as fact, I couldn't help but feel it myself that the AI's passing gets nerfed a little to balance things out for the FUMA human but i couldn't decide if i'm just seeing things or if it's a legit mechanic.

Haha it's always a debate, I mean how can we prove this anyway? The only way to know is to try it yourself. But from the last time I religiously played PES which was PES 16 and 17 I am certain that it's true, because during those two games I've switched back and forth from manual to PA 1.

I'm going to leave my thoughts out of this thread (and FIFA 21 thread) from this post on as I'm not interested in purchasing them and don't want to be a downer on people having fun, done that too much already, though I may still visit as it will still be interesting to see what the impressions are after a few days/weeks.

Not doubting anyone who sees/feels improvements, I hope you all enjoy the game as much as possible and it tides you over until PES2022, it's just not for me.

Hopefully some more info on next year's game won't be too far away :D.

I mean, if that video doesn't confirm how close it is to 2020... Certainly from an AI standpoint... Just look at the AI's goals.

I can't help but notice all the things from PES 2020 that would stop any sane person from playing the game for very long in a Master League or similar - the dreaded turn-shot goals from the AI etc...

You've also got Salah in minute 20 of the video, unable to use his pace to burst away from the defender, so just kind of jogs in a circle instead. TTB says "oh man, I can't get the ball off Salah" but in reality, he stood off Salah and gave him an empty channel to run down - and Salah TURNED AWAY from it to jog around in a circle instead.
Yeah, after looking especially at Truebrit's gameplay, I can see the same Pes 2020 issues are still there. I think I might buy the game if I can get it for 5 bucks or so, just out of interest. But there's very little improvement to be seen. Tbh, gabe.logan's modded Pes 2020 gameplay looks better.

From what I see looking at the various videos.

Pros
+ Dribbling seems somewhat more fluid
+ The player's not locking to the ball or not letting a loose ball go by them for no reason, seems mostly gone. This is probably the biggest improvement to the game since it used to happen every match
+ Physicality looks slightly better
+ Some new animations

Cons
- Shooting looks so bad, exactly like Pes 2020.
- Keeper animations still in the PS2 era
- The AI turn around shoot top corner goals is still there (how is this still in, this is unacceptable)
- The multiple players scrambling for the ball still is absolutely horrid, 5 defenders mostly just standing still while 1 attacker and 1 defender scramble for the ball.

I still cannot decide buy or not buy PES21, I have PES19, and I'd like to buy a new, but still don't know which one 20 or 21. Rather for ML not for online.
PES20 has patches, PES21 needs wait for patches- talking about PC version.

Got the game today and played it with the internet off and it said version 1.00.
Which version do you guys have(guys playing with the internet on). Hopefully i am making sense ☺

Ok, I got weak and bought it.

2 games in. Online Divisions, PA1, Adv shooting/Adv through ball.

PA1 still too assisted but that was to be expected. I agree with the better responsivness and the left stick movement is a joy with more technical players. Overall a bit more randomness over everything and I have seen some new animations.

Oh and also, people are still morons online.

Pitch looks even bigger in true bits video, almost mythical in proportions, I'm expecting giant dragons to swoop down and wage an endless war in the continent sized gaps between each teams attack and defence.

And therein lies the problem. To make this game worthwhile means hours wasted again on endless tactical changes to get it even passingly resembling football.

Ok, I got weak and bought it.

2 games in. Online Divisions, PA1, Adv shooting/Adv through ball.

PA1 still too assisted but that was to be expected. I agree with the better responsivness and the left stick movement is a joy with more technical players. Overall a bit more randomness over everything and I have seen some new animations.

Oh and also, people are still morons online.
Still lots of kick off half time and full time goals?

Back
Top Bottom