Everton Thread

Any truth in the "Russians for Everton" rumour?
By Mark O'Brien on Jun 1, 08 01:11 PM in Fans
A STORY that seems to lack very little substance is the one doing the rounds about Everton being in talks with some Russian zillionaire about a takeover or some sort of investment.

This one has all the classic hallmarks of an internet-based Chinese whispers story. One site makes an unfounded comment, others pick up on it and then before you know where you are the net is 'ablaze' with talk of an imminent takeover.

The whole thing is self- perpetuating but already we are seeing discussions about whether we should welcome this hypothetical investment from this unknown individual or not.

Obviously it's kind of hard to say without knowing a few more details, if of course there are any grounds to these stories at all.

Any potential investors surely have to be assessed on their own merits. Debates about foreign investment per se in English football seem to miss the point a bit.

Evidence would suggest there are plenty of decent foreign owners and more than a handful of rubbish homegrown ones. Chelsea seem to have done alright out of Roman Abramovich, Manchester United haven't actually fallen apart under the Glazer family, and despite Rafael Benitiz's protestations, Liverpool appear to have been able to spend plenty of cash since they welcomed Tom Hicks and George Gillett into their club with open arms.

Even Manchester City fans must be in two minds whether to be too critical of Thaksin Shiniwatra.
He does appear to have been rather hasty in his dismissal of Sven-Goran Eriksson, but the former Thai prime minister would argue that without his money the former England manager wouldn't have considered taking over at Eastlands in the first place.

heard this last week chico!
dont think there is any thing in it and i dont want any foreign investment , look at the mess the neighbours are in!

aaron ramsey bid accepted, us and the mancs in for him.

5mil, only one winner in my view!!!!

we can offer first team ball

dont think thats genuine nick!
and if it is i like the home top the away is meant to be white im guessing?

looks well enough the new kit.

would you all be hapy if we got ramsey, bradley, arshavin and ste clarke as new coach?

be a great summer if we did lol

yeh would never work sharing, like the new kit mate , getting closer to the latchford era!

evilphilnevillegw9.gif

manny on loan would be good business imo.

love arshavin, tho anyone were after will do me!! moutinho, lucho gonzalez, huddlestone, sidwell, arshavin, miguel etc etc.....

zoltan gera to fulham on a free, wanted to play for us until the bright lights of london caught him. :LOL:

like this....

supporting Everton is not something you can switch off nor do lightly, it proves eternal. Yet unfortunately, I and many others will find it impossible to gracefully accept a ground move that not only has no place in our hearts but in our wallets.

Crazily, I somehow feel closer to the club when times are rough, Everton often reflect my own feelings. When we lose, many face the consequences, I’m inconsolable, for a few hours at least.

The emotions that Everton can evoke are not only visibly painful but truly mesmerising. A REAL Evertonian is not somebody who goes home away and abroad, but one that is emotionally affected not only by results but all things related to the club. It doesn’t matter if you’re a stones throw away from the Liver Birds or located in the Amazon Rainforest, if you walk on air when we win, bursting with sheer pride, you’re a blue.

You cannot dip in and out when Everton are winning or losing, you cannot choose the path to follow. In my opinion, nothing beyond supporting Everton with all of your heart qualifies you as an Evertonian. Passion is passion, irrespective of locality.

Everton is a club like no other, Evertonians are a breed like no other. Evertonians are different, Everton are different, we are not a team who have dominated for prolonged periods, but just about every decade we come from relative periphery to glory, this leaves generations of blues with totally varying perspectives of the club we all love.

The sensitive Blues need to comprehend not only the outpourings of heartfelt passion, but the reasoning behind it. The thing I find most difficult to stomach is the divide the club has caused among its huge, dedicated band of supporters, it’s heartbreaking.

Everton not only bring emotional extremes, but optimism, hope and grandeur. Will this be the same in Knowsley? Sadly I fear not. We all not only share and endure the tears, joy and frustration of being a supporter of Everton, but sadly the negative connotations that are associated with the ride, namely the Kirkby conundrum.

Only the “Insiders” can comprehend the range of emotions involved in backing the Blues. You simply cannot grasp, nor fully understand the evident implications of supporting Everton unless you do, and love and cherish them with every inch of your heart. I love Everton not because we have a glittering history and a seemingly bright future but because I was chosen to be part of such an elite group of people.

When we were chosen, we signed on for life; we didn’t have to. We could have supported a whole host of other sides, but we didn’t. Branding myself an Evertonian not only means something to me personally, but offers me an identity that I hope to never relinquish. For better or for worse, I will always be Blue.

Champions League or relegation fodder, Goodison or Kirkby we’re all devoted disciples and just being able to call myself a supporter of Everton is good enough for me, whatever the outcome. You do not become a Blue, you’re born to be Blue.

by bainsey nsno

Everton to reassure Andrew Johnson on future

ANDREW JOHNSON is set to be reassured of his Everton future in the face of another round of speculation suggesting he is up for sale.

The 27-year-old became Everton’s record signing two years ago when he joined for £8.6million from Crystal Palace but he has been linked with a move away from Goodison Park in every transfer window since.

Current reports are based on manager David Moyes’s legitimate concerns that the government could refuse plans for Everton’s new stadium and call a public inquiry, thus curtailing the amount of transfer business he can conduct in the summer window. But offloading Johnson to raise funds is not currently part of his plans despite, if reported interest from Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and West Ham comes to fruition, an offer in the region of £7m could be on the table.

The striker signed a new five-year contract last season, although Moyes is in the market to improve his forward line and up the comp-etition for places, as he did last summer when Yakubu overtook Johnson as the club’s most expensive player.

Johnson himself has consistently maintained he is happy at Everton and towards the end of last season described speculation that he wants to leave as “absolute rubbish”.

“I have recently signed a new deal at Everton, which I was delighted to do,” he added.

“Of course there is competition for striking places here but I wouldn’t have it any other way and neither would the manager.

“Stories like this make me really angry and I can only promise the fans that I love being at Everton, I am fully prepared to fight for a place in the side like everyone else in the squad and that leaving the club has never even entered my head.

“We’ve had a great season and I look forward to helping this club progress even more in the next few years.”

Johnson hit 11 goals in his first season at Goodison Park and added 10 in the last campaign, although it was blighted by injury and the fact that he lost his place when Yakubu headed up a one-striker formation.

The Nigerian, meanwhile, has stated his belief that he will always prove his critics wrong and answer them in the best possible fashion – by scoring goals.

Yakubu had endured criticism form Nigerian supporters for failing to score in their three World Cup qualifiers before Saturday’s game with Equatorial Guinea, but he silenced the doubters by scoring the opening goal as his country won 2-0.

“I believe in myself as a striker and I don’t feel any pressure even when people talk, because I know I can score goals,” said Yakubu, who suffered similar criticism when he initially struggled to hit his stride for Everton after joining from Middlesbrough.

“It happens in football. You play three, four games and you don’t score and people start saying ‘What is wrong with you?’. It’s like you are under pressure, but for me I am not under pressure. I still believe the goals will come. If I get the chances I will score.”

Moyes’s priority in the window remains in midfield, where Poland’s Mariusz Lewandowski was one player he had under consideration. How-ever, the 29-year-old Shakhtar Donetsk man has expressed his preference to join international team-mate Artur Boruc at Celtic. Lewandowski said: “I’m on holiday just now, but there are people dealing with this situation who I trust. Celtic are a big club and play regularly in the Champions League, so it would be a good place to play my football.”

It would be great to see this guy back to his best in the Prem.

"Everton boss David Moyes may swoop for Real Zaragoza's £7m-rated Argentine star Pablo Aimar - once his summer spending budget is finally confirmed. (The Sun)"

now linked with aimar, at least today the window opens for real and teams can get down to some business.

Back
Top Bottom