FIFA 09: Ultimate Team - DISCUSSION THREAD

If there were no changes to gameplay, why cant i score from freekicks anymore?

The ball just floats away....hmmmmmm

Trading is still dead slow

Yeah I suddenly started losing in Be A Pro where I was winning nearly every game before, but apparently there were no changes because it would have screwed everything up. I would have thought they could have got around that but apparently not, or at least it would have taken up too much time...

Can't stand the gameplay cards - I interviewed two of the guys behind Ultimate Team, Paul Hossack and Matthew Prior, and their view was that they're there for the 1 or 2 star teams who play against 5 star teams, and need to "level the score". They also say that just as many like them as dislike them, although there's about 20 specific threads on the EA forums saying "please get rid of them" etc...

Personally I hate them, there's not a lot you can do when suddenly your players couldn't outrun their grannies. But there you go.

Full interview can be heard here (I was really critical about the mode as a whole and they give some interesting answers): CLICK HERE

So glad you confronted them with the gameplay (cheat) cards Chris. It's an innovative, addictive mode but the gameplay cards totally ruin it for me. Every time I'm in the final some kid plays all his cards and my players turn to absolute crap! What's the point of spending all your time to get players and improve them when you come up against cheating cunts.

Total dissapointment...

Last edited:
Well done on the blog again Chris.

Alot of bullshit from them.

They say they put the gameplay cards in so it evens it up if you are a 3 star team playing a 5 star for example. But the fact that the 5 star team can use them aswell just cancels that notion straight away.

Also the fact that they said they designed a fantastic matching system so 3 star players will only play people with the same stars etc totally goes against the claim of why they introduced gameplay cards!! (Also it proves how shit they are that the matching system didn't work!!)

They say they don't use gameplay cards themselves unless they are used on them. So they are basically admitting the best way to play is without the Gameplay cards?!

Why can't they just have a tick box that you can tick, that says you want to play players that don't use the gameplay cards? so all the people that tick the box play eachother?! easy to implement. Same with the assisted control argument. A couple of simple tick boxes would sort it out and wouldn't alienate anybody. It would jsut make online accessable to more people.

I hate this Bullshit that they say about the servers breaking down being a 'Victim of their own success!' a Victim of their own shitness more like! they have an actual team that oversees the whole of UT?!! so why the fuck did it take them over 2 weeks to sort it out?!! seems to me they aren't doing their jobs properly to me.

Also saying that they are just as frustrated as we were that it was all shit when it was released! yeah the only difference was you didn't spend any fucking money on the thing, that was released before it should have been. The cheeky bastards!!

They definately need to give something back to the people that bought it in the first 2 weeks - I bet we only get something shit like a free pack of bronze cards or something....If that!!!

Does anyone know if the team management freeze online has been fixed?

I keep wanting to sub players but am scared the game will freeze, which means i lose a match i was winning.

Does anyone know if the team management freeze online has been fixed?

I keep wanting to sub players but am scared the game will freeze, which means i lose a match i was winning.

I played it a day ago and made subs a few times and it didn't freeze. but then again I didn't know it used to freeze, as it never happened to me before?

I cant find anywhere to set my captain.

Am I missing something obvious?

Does it not affect the chemistry at all?

In the menus where you select your line up and player contracts etc, go right to the bottom of that and there's an option called Team Management I think, and you can choose captain and set piece takers in there :)).

Has anyone noticed more slowdown in teh final 3rd on the ps3 since installing UT? Installed it two weeks ago (for the AI improvement for MM) but Ive noticed far mor eslowdown/stutter during crossing since its been installed. Before that I hardly had any stutter. The main menu loading has slowed down aswell.

The problem is I changed teams around the same time so Im not sure the "new ai" is just down to a different league or the UT install. Otherwise I'll just get rid of it.

How do you get to play the gold offline cups? I cant seem to find where the other cups are? please dont tell me I have to complete all of the online ones aswell before it will let me play the higher cups?!!

No I've only played offline. On the cup selection the first one is online, the second is offline, then online...

How do you get to play the gold offline cups? I cant seem to find where the other cups are? please dont tell me I have to complete all of the online ones aswell before it will let me play the higher cups?!!
You just go as if you're going to play in the same cup again, and they'll be a different colour. You have to meet the skill point requirement though.

I seem to get the impression that ultimate team is strongly aimed at making money by implementing the contract system

I am still trying to get enough coins for a gold pack, but constantly need to buy bronze packs to keep my players

this would be such a great mode if I were able to keep my players, or at least contracts would last longer

as the system works, I need to play a ridiculous amount of matches to get the money for gold packs OR buy them, which i refuse to do, but that's obivously the clever mechanic behind

don't get me wrong, I don't want to get anything for free
it's ok to play, earn coins and buy better packs, the longer and better you play
but the current contract system only protracts things with no use to it
the only result is, that people are annoyed that things take so long, and therefore buy the packs for real money

I seem to get the impression that ultimate team is strongly aimed at making money by implementing the contract system

I am still trying to get enough coins for a gold pack, but constantly need to buy bronze packs to keep my players

this would be such a great mode if I were able to keep my players, or at least contracts would last longer

as the system works, I need to play a ridiculous amount of matches to get the money for gold packs OR buy them, which i refuse to do, but that's obivously the clever mechanic behind

it's ok to play, earn coins and buy better packs, the longer and better you play
the only result is, that people are annoyed that things take so long, and therefore buy the packs for real money

TBH Skylight I dont play the games in UT. Ive played a total of 13 matches, have 340 skill points, and have over 100G in coins.

Playing the games would only take contracts away when really, I can play with a team in exhibition mode and have the same fun. Pointless really.

Keep plugging away until you can afford a few gold packs - dont bother buying silver - just play with terrible players and get the coins. With any luck you'll get a decent card in 1 of your first 2 gold packs which you can sell for a good sum. Use that sum to buy gold cards (decent ones not crap) from people who are selling them for next to nothing. Sell these cards for higher again to the silly american kids who will pay almost anything, and the cycle begins again. Before you know it, you'll be flying.

Just make a note not to build a team out of Torres, Gerrard, Eto'o, Aguero and Ronaldinho or the like - 1) because you can train players anyway, 2) selling these will get you the most cash and 3) their chemistry would suck anyway. Just go after building a decent gold based team with good chemistry - I have the Hoffenheim frontline (Sanogo and Obasi (IVR and NIG)), an all ivory coast midfield, and then an all brazilian backline/gk. Not the best way to max out your chemistry - mine sits at around 60 - but then again I dont care - I just want a team i can be proud to call my own :). The fun for me is in the trading, nothing else.

Anyone else think there will be a few kids with a knack for investment banking once UT is through? :COOL:

And which manager do you have?

You should just keep rotating your team. Its difficult, but if you do that then the contracts last longer. For a while I chose a different team each time. It was a bit fucked because I had players out of position all over the shop! but because of my skill ;)) I got wins in and built up my points.

My main team at the moment is

Adebayor, Benjani

Robben, Van der Vaart, Barry, Walcott

(Can't remember left back) Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Bosingwa

Alumnia

Its a 5 star team but my chemistry is 30 or something.

The one thing I don't get many of is training cards! so most of my players have the same stats from when I bought them :((

I might start to make an all English team soon though :-)

And which manager do you have?

none yet
I have read, that they're helpful, but I didn't know that it's a must have, and in my opinion it shouldn't

furthermore I would find it helpful to get extra coins for winning cups (for each one, not the ones I get, when I have them all), so that there is an incentive to play them

none yet
I have read, that they're helpful, but I didn't know that it's a must have, and in my opinion it shouldn't

Sorry I just find it incredibly amusing that people bitch and whine about contracts yet haven't even bothered to read the guides or watch the tutorial videos, you're not alone as Coopz and others did/said the same thing, I'll find you the old thread.......

Here you go: http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1608771&postcount=212

I stopped playing this mode cause of that, Its just to "hectic" for me. I want a bit of consistency with my team but you just cant have that. I think the contracts were a bit OTT.

Sorry I just find it incredibly amusing that people bitch and whine about contracts yet haven't even bothered to read the guides or watch the tutorial videos, you're not alone as Coopz and others did/said the same thing, I'll find you the old thread.......

Here you go: http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1608771&postcount=212

thanks, at least my bitching got me the info ;)

as I said, I think they should not be a must, and the contract system only makes it take you longer to get the money for better packs

from business side it's a clever system and I am sure they make enough money with digital card packs

It's all part of simulating the experience of what a team as a whole needs to become the best, a manager is part of that, good managers make players happy and they stay longer is how you could analyse the negotiation bonus. As for buying packs, never bought a one, and I have about 80k now spread over my two teams.

I've tried to play it again recently but the shit AI and contracts ruin it for me. I have all gold and silver players and the only way to keep them is to keep buying bronze packs over and over to get contracts then piss them away then play as many games as my team allows then buy bronze packs. I did have a gold manager at one point which made contracts easier but then I couldn't get any staff contracts and had to sell him off and so I was without a manager for a good 20 games until I received a useless bronze manager in a silver pack.

I don't think the team behind this even bothered playing it because there are tons of glitches, bugs, lock ups, the advantage rule bug has returned and the team mate AI is all over the place. They had this mode working really well already in the champ league game so it really confuses me how they managed to stuff it up so badly and turn a great fun mode into hard work and frustration.

The only silver lining is I didn't actually spend any money getting this crap.

-
Edit

I should also add that I'm shit at this mode for some reason - in manager mode i can beat a good 3 or 4 star team with my crappy 1/2 star team and when i lose it feels fair. Here i feel like i'm being cheated out of my games with the ai as they string together perfect long balls time after time and my keeper ends up bumping into my CB's for the 10th time allowing them an open goal tap in. My team mates also have no AI and will follow me wide onto the wing pointing for a pass instead of getting into the box, or they'll stand miles offside or my CB's will refuse to play the offside trap and just stand there like an idiot. And these are gold and silver defenders not bronze turds.

So the highest difficulty I can manage to play on is professional which means it's bloody impossible to get enough coins to keep my gold players in the team. Even if i win 3 or 4 nil i'll only get about 600 coins, buying a bronze pack to refill those contracts takes most of that off me...

I want to play the mode, I want to have fun but its just really pissing me off this week and making me care less and less about the next fifa. Usually around this time we get the champ league or euro/world cup games from EA and they show us a few tweaks on the engine that we can then expect to be even better for the next real fifa. But with this mode all i see is shit on top of glitches and It's just making me expect more of the same when Fifa 10 comes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom