FIFA 10 NG Improvements Thread

I don't know if it's possible / worthwhile, but I'd like to see the kit details improved, similar to the badges on the sleeves that someone mentioned.

For example:

If you are in the EPL you have the proper numbers. If you're relegated it changes to the numbers that the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2 use. I don't know if other leagues are similar (maybe the French & Scottish?).

The ability to mix your kits, ie have alternate shorts & socks. It would reduce the kit clash problem quite a bit.

Goalkeeper kits - if they aren't able to put the real kits in for lower league teams, give us an option to choose what colour kit they can wear (or at least match them to the a different shade of colour to whatever the referee has). Playing Charlton v Southampton with a keeper in an all red isn't a good thing!

Boots. Not wanting to sound like an editing fan boy (I haven't done any since PES6 anyway!), but I'd like to see more boot options. The adidas boots in '09 were great, but how nice would it be to have a similar selection for other brands. They could just have 2 default colour EA boots and replace the rest with 'real' ones. 1 or 2 options for Nike, Puma etc isn't enough.

When you edit a player, it should update in existing leagues or tournaments.
I hope I'm not the only one who edits everything for their team before starting a manager mode, only for several boots to change a week later...

They aren't game stopping points, but it'd be nice to see :)

Last edited:
Correct implementation of the card punishments and can we have a better way of indicating how many yellows a player is on, the number on the yellow card indicator would do...

The FA giving extra punishments for bad red cards after the game would be a nice touch too...

There are too many woodwork shots, EA seem to use this as an AI "aid". Far too many shots hit the bar or post, don't get me wrong I love seeing shots and headers hitting the woodwork, but in some games, especially when the game is in 'you will not score' mode, I can have seven or more rebounding off the stanchion...

And as mdan007 said (I thought it was already included) player switching needs to be sharper, and there are issues selecting players when you are 2v AI, in some cases you are not able to select an attacking player no mater what you press...

The FA giving extra punishments for bad red cards after the game would be a nice touch too...

There are too many woodwork shots, EA seem to use this as an AI "aid". Far too many shots hit the bar or post, don't get me wrong I love seeing shots and headers hitting the woodwork, but in some games, especially when the game is in 'you will not score' mode, I can have seven or more rebounding off the stanchion...

I love your first suggestion.
As for the second, i'm glad that i'm not the only one who has that impression...when you hit the woodwork 5 or 6 times regularly, that is a litle bit exagerated...

Updated, although I left a couple out:

Blaccat, what do you mean with:
Back passes:Goalkeepers should control the ball with the intent to pick it up with their hands

Gerd, Im not sure how you would do the midseason/end of season updates tbh. Most, if not all players will have already done a few season in-game and having an update like that would always screw up the MM to different extents. I understand what you mean, and it could be good, however the realtime and gametime differences would be un-mergeble imo.

A different option would be to do a "scenariomode" with halfseason updates. But again I wouldnt expect this to be a realistic mode for a single update.

And Online Manager Mode,
Care to expand what you would want?

Back passes:Goalkeepers should control the ball with the intent to pick it up with their hands

Well obviously they can't pick up from a back pass (from a team mate). Perhaps he means a through ball that has been over hit by the opposition and the keeper can keep it at his feet and then pick it up when he wants eg (when an attacker pressures him). Normally a time-wasting ploy.

If a player makes a foul and it's a red card offense, play should stop immediately.

Playing a game the other day, I get fouled - play continues - player who fouls goes and scores a GOAL and after the celebration gets a red card for previous foul.

Not cool.

I'll try to explain about the midseason transfer window.
In february when the squads are updated i will begin a Manager Mode with Spurs.
In FIFA09 this means that i will start the season 08/09 in august 2008 with the squad of january 2009. Spurs will have 0 points like all the other premiership clubs.

What i would like to see is that i start my manager mode in january 2009 and that i have the possibility to "create" the table of the Premiership. I personally would keep it very realistic and would put Spurs just above relegation where they are now at the start of my Manager Mode...Harry Redknapp would be fired and new Manager GERD takes over where Spurs are and tries to do better with the same squad. It seems a litle bit like a scenario mode but in fact it's a combination between a scenario (that you create yourself) and a Manager Mode. After the player has created "the secenario", it become a normal Manager Mode... I'm sorry if you do not understand me. You can always PM me and i will gladly explain it in Dutch since you speak Dutch.

An online Manager Mode:

A combination of Football Manager Live and the online part of FIFA 09.

Oh and thanks for all the trouble.

Sometimes while defending u may mistakenly or knowingly pass the ball back to the goalkeeper, rather than the goalkeeper just taking the ball with his foot, he should then pick up the ball automatically

Maybe there should be a button for keeper to pick up the ball, like R3 or L3

and if you should pickup the ball directly from a backpass, your keeper gets booked and a freekick is awarded

I have another addition to the list, most of you will agree:

- Heading the ball feels too weak. In real life, when players head the ball, they send it really away sometimes. In Fifa, all headers in the pitch seem to be at most 10 meters away. In real life a good timed header in defense could send the ball to throw in. So there should be a kind of "power gauge" for headers (even if it's not visible) but you should be able to really clear the ball or head a long ball towards strikers from midfield, etc... That way, the heading stats would allow great pheading players to make a difference in those physical matches.

Besides, that would prevent the game from having those ridiculously short clearings that go straight to the feet of a striker in front of the penalty area.

I have another addition to the list, most of you will agree:

- Heading the ball feels too weak. In real life, when players head the ball, they send it really away sometimes. In Fifa, all headers in the pitch seem to be at most 10 meters away. In real life a good timed header in defense could send the ball to throw in. So there should be a kind of "power gauge" for headers (even if it's not visible) but you should be able to really clear the ball or head a long ball towards strikers from midfield, etc... That way, the heading stats would allow great pheading players to make a difference in those physical matches.

Besides, that would prevent the game from having those ridiculously short clearings that go straight to the feet of a striker in front of the penalty area.

Yep I agree...

Some suggestions from me:

- Some basic dribble moves must be able to be performed with the left stick. Only difficult dribbles must be done with the right stick.
- 10 vs 10 online team play lags most of the times. Try to resolve that if possible.
- Remove the option to play with assisted controls in 10 vs 10 matches. Only manual must be allowed in this mode.
- The pitch in this years game i think is small. Make the pitch a bit larger.
- League online making is not good. Make league making online with your friends possible.
- The speed of the game is a little bit fast. Slow it down for online modes especially.
- Make stamina have real effects on players. For example i see players in 10 vs 10 matches run like lunatics but never get tired.
- Make more camera options (like Custom Camera or something) or the possibility of using two cameras (Split screen!!! ).Hmmm why not.......
- Pro camera sucks. I suggest giving more options to the end to end camera. Something between pro camera and end to end should be fine for BAP matches.
- Players lose possesion to easily some times. Make them more responsive.
- Suggestion for a new feature:
It would be called like Playmaking Options and it would make players move according to your instructions. For example when the X player picks the ball make the Y player to make a run or support him from the back or ......

And finally to the people that suggest improvements on manager mode i would tell them to go play Football Manager. In Fifa the priority is the gameplay i think. If they get the gameplay (especially online) right then we can talk about manager modes (offline)

Sometimes while defending u may mistakenly or knowingly pass the ball back to the goalkeeper, rather than the goalkeeper just taking the ball with his foot, he should then pick up the ball automatically

Maybe there should be a button for keeper to pick up the ball, like R3 or L3

and if you should pickup the ball directly from a backpass, your keeper gets booked and a freekick is awarded

Why would you purposely give away an indirect freekick and get your keeper booked? Seems to me a bit of a pointless addition.

Updated,

Can someone check the online list to see what's been fixed from last years list? I have no idea. Have seperated the lists as the post was too long.

@ Gerd,
I understand and I would actually expand on it. Why not be able to have an option to start a MM with the latest players, injuries and standings. So say you want to start a new MM in october, you get the option to start clean or from the current real situation.

Essentially it would be a Live update with added league positions. Seems pretty realistic as they have weekly updates now anyway.

@ Gerd,
I understand and I would actually expand on it. Why not be able to have an option to start a MM with the latest players, injuries and standings. So say you want to start a new MM in october, you get the option to start clean or from the current real situation.

Essentially it would be a Live update with added league positions. Seems pretty realistic as they have weekly updates now anyway.

I agree but the problem with the updates is that you have to pay for them...if you do it manually it's free andyou have the pleasure of customizing your game (that's an old PES habit, i guess).
My point is: you should have the choice: doing it yourself or "buying" it...

Some suggestions from me:

And finally to the people that suggest improvements on manager mode i would tell them to go play Football Manager. In Fifa the priority is the gameplay i think. If they get the gameplay (especially online) right then we can talk about manager modes (offline)

Isn't this only on the PC and is there even gameplay? Your point is totally off the mark since we are console gamers...

Screw Fifa Manager - just add weather and a few other tiny things to Manager Mode and it's what we want.

Bollocks.

I have no time or inclination to play a statistical management game, I don't play online in Fifa so yes I expect that Fifa has an in depth, solid manager mode, gameplay has been the sole focus for two versions, which us manager mode fans getting shafted with a copy and paste manager mode dating back to current gen Fifa07, it's time we got a shiny new manager mode.

- Remove assisted and semi controlls, it's ruining the game..no, but honestly, we need a manual lobby for people who play the game as it was meant to be played

- Manual first touch play must be improved. A simple tap can make the ball fly around the earth for no obvious reason. Same with crossing.

- More mis-hits..but they don't go flying over the goal. A mis-hit should most of the time make the ball go wide of the goal, not fly twenty miles over the bar.

- No confetti in the middle of the pitch, please..

- There needs to be a simplified version of every dribble, not just for some of them

- Allow me tho shoot after the whistle for ex offside, please. :)

- High through balls must be much harder to do, both manual and assisted. It's a very tricky thing to pull of a perfect lob through ball IRL, and so it should be in FIFA.

- Lob shots must be much harder..right now it's a piece of cake to score with a perfect lob..lobbing is a piece of art and not that easy.

- Allow us to choose the number of players in the wall at free kicks and let us move the wall. Right now there is ridicously few players in the wall.

- A great training/challange mode..look at what PES did before, copy and improve.

- Better achivements..FIFa 09 was a huge step in the right direction, but there could be plenty of more achivements that is related to skill rather than "Play a season without simulating any games.." etc. Score a volley. Hit the bar from the halwayline. Score with a back heel, etc etc.

im not sure if this has been addressed yet, i dont think it has.

give the player creating the BAP online room the option to limit the number of players that are able to connect to that room when he makes it. if i want to play a 5 v 5 i shouldnt have to kick 5 players off of my team after i get into the game. 10 v 10s are retarded unless you know 19 other people that want to play a proper game.

also give the person that created the room and that person only the ability to kick anyone from the room before the match starts. this way you wont have problems with those people that get in your room and wait the entire 5 minutes to ready up every single time you play a BAP match. after the match starts restrict the ability to kick players to your team only the way it is now so there isnt any kicking the best players off the other team.

in 08 the only mode i played was BAP but now theres twice as many twats ruining it for me every match and i cant bring myself to play them anymore unless im with friends.

another thing that was good about 08 was the ability for every player in the room to see the squad at the squad menu so they knew what player they were getting when they picked a position. now all you see is..

Squad
Team Management
Custom Tactics
Player Roles etc.

you could even add to that by giving everybody the ability to scroll through the squad and look at each players stats while restricting the ability to actually change anything to the captain.

apart from BAP theres one other thing that i really wish i could do and thats take classic players and tranfer them to current clubs. i want to be able to put cantona into a man united shirt and play. also being able to play online unranked games with that edited squad would be great.

Last edited:
NON-Gameplay Improvement list:

Edit mode!!!EA needs to make a really big, extensive edit-zone (look at pro evo EA).

Create/Edit players: I'd like to be able to change player's face which have generic faces. More body types, 3 types are not enough. I'd like to see more options like: shoulder height/width etc.
The untucked shirts are nice, but you should also be able to change the player socks; high/normal/low.
More facial hair styles (again, look at pro evo EA).
You should be able to change boot color, for example: You select "Nike Mercurial Vapor" and then change the colors of the base/the swoosh/the laces, like on nike-id.com ;).

Create-a-team!: This was so fun in the old Fifa games! Create a fantasy team, give them nice kits and funny looking players. I really enjoyed this part of the game in the old Fifa series.

Better cutscenes: They need to be more like what you see during a real football match on television. The camera positions of the cutscenes are kinda weird and unrealistic (camera wise).

Half-time substitution cutscenes: This was the same in FIFA08. It's really unrealistic to see the the player who's been replaced comming of the pitch to be subbed.

:BYE:

I have no time or inclination to play a statistical management game, I don't play online in Fifa so yes I expect that Fifa has an in depth, solid manager mode, gameplay has been the sole focus for two versions, which us manager mode fans getting shafted with a copy and paste manager mode dating back to current gen Fifa07, it's time we got a shiny new manager mode.

:APPLAUD: Too right I want a massive MM, shame with Fifa Manager it will never happen...

I have only one thing to say in here and I apologise if it's already been said but this is a hell of a big thread. ;)

I'm really enjoying a two-player MM but one thing is constantly grating. In a season of around 50 games (including cup games) we've scored two headers. I thought this was a problem with the team (we're Liverpool), so we brought in some great crossers of the ball and some tall, good headers of the ball. No difference whatsoever - the guys who do score headers are never the guys you'd expect.

This is on semi crossing and semi shooting, but we've even switched to auto crossing and auto shooting just to see what happens (hoping that shooting applies to heading also).

Switching to auto shows how messed up the whole crossing/heading system is, and exactly where it needs to be fixed. I'll tell you how; you constantly move players into a perfect position for a header, around the penalty spot, and when you cross the ball 9/10 times it goes to a completely different player, usually outside the box, and with absolutely zero chance of scoring a header. The game doesn't register that the guy in the penalty area is waiting for a cross in a decent position to get his head on it. It completely discounts him and instead puts the ball to someone in no position to do anything.

And also, if you stick the player selection up to one notch (i.e. not fully manual), every time you get a player in a great position to head the ball, when your team-mate crosses, the CPU ALWAYS deselects you and gives you someone else who is in a piss-poor position with no chance of doing anything, because it completely discounts the player you've positioned as "in a bad position".

The whole crossing/heading system needs rewriting.

Last edited:
get rid of the stupid cut scenes that ruin the flow of the game

You run towards the halfway line celebrating next thing your at the corner flag with your arms alot

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but the online leagues need to be looked at. Why EA decided that you can only play other teams an odd number of times (and not twice, home & away as in real life) is beyond me.:BRICK:

CB said:
The game doesn't register that the guy in the penalty area is waiting for a cross in a decent position to get his head on it.

I think this is also a major issue to improve. Most of the time your strikers are already in position waiting for a cross, meaning they mostly do vertical jumps. PES had,...has?, this correct that the strikers would time their runs into the box just after you put a cross in. At the moment its the AM that does the correct run/timing for a cross leaving one or two strikers just standing around and if you get the ball to them a "powerless" header.

Back
Top Bottom