Fifa 11 "Festival of Fifa" hands-on Impressions

Is it still such easy to score (on manual) with the pass button (1on1 with the keeper and you just pass the ball under him)? Thanks

I'm still worry about Defensive AI...
Nick, Rod, Rom can you tell me about it and if AI is intelligent or not?

Re: Fifa 11 "Festival of Fifa" hands-on questions

- As a manual player, on manual I still found this very hard because the direct pass button just doesn't do short passes. I'd still say that this isn't quite where I'd like to be, but agian, not much playtime. Short passes still seem to be difficult - players never seem to react that well to them.

It's been said a few times that according to Rutter it's not too late to make changes, plus this year they have the capability to make changes post-release without a patch, is there anyway we can get them to change ground passing with manual controls like we discussed - so through pass and ground pass are more differentiated, i.e. one long, one short?

Did you bring up concerns with manual controls?

Did manual controls play any different/better/worse than last year?

So as we thought it's just a merge of BAP/MM, pretty shite.

Did they at least say if the bugs of 10's MM are fixed? What about all the AI issues in particular for lineups and player selections?

Completely shite! And here's a big concern of mine: has MM now been relegated to what's in effect an Act III of a larger mode that will be focused on simulating a Player to Manager career, which the name Career Mode might indicate?

As cool as this may sound to some, if you're a hardcore fan of the traditional manager mode and have no interest in BAP-style gameplay, this blows, big time. This is great news for BAP fans but for MM fan, were' basically left with 1/3 of a mode. My impression could be incorrect but so far CM doesn't make me feel loved by EA as a MM fan.

Even if my concerns are unfounded, it's hard to get excited over such a stripped-down version of MM, even if it is bug free, and that's a bit sad now that gameplay appears to be shaping up nicely.

@Nick: should we start posting questions for you to ask/investigate in the MM thread for your visit next week?

Last edited:
Talking about manual player switching, Dave from FSB said this on official forums:

Well I was saving that for the podcast but yes some major developments on player switching and control, which haven't been announced.

Screw the podcast, anyone care to spill the beans?

As cool as this may sound to some, if you're a hardcore fan of the traditional manager mode and have no interest in BAP-style gameplay, this blows, big time. This is great news for BAP fans but for MM fan, were' basically left with 1/3 of a mode. My impression could be incorrect but so far CM doesn't make me feel loved by EA as a MM fan.
I've completely resigned to the notion that with each year they'll be spreading their resources thin across different areas of focus. As a result, not one aspect of the game see heavy improvements, especially if a lot of time is spent on tons of fixes from the previous game (eg FIFA10's MM).

I'm guessing with what little mention there is of multiple players challenging for headers means that this feature is barely present? And is the weak foot inaccuracy more pronounced now when it comes to shots on goal?

Two big questions:

1. First touch! Has it changed/improved? I'd especially like to know whether chesting the ball down has improved as I've found a lot of problems with this in the past.

2. I don't really care about the nets but I am curious: if there are various net options, will different stadiums have various nets set as default? Or is there one default net option for all stadiums?

Two big questions:

1. First touch! Has it changed/improved? I'd especially like to know whether chesting the ball down has improved as I've found a lot of problems with this in the past.

2. I don't really care about the nets but I am curious: if there are various net options, will different stadiums have various nets set as default? Or is there one default net option for all stadiums?

First touch and control was still too good for me, one of the main gripes with the game, we were playing with top teams but it was still too good...

I had a couple of chests when I wanted/ was expecting headers, though there was a strong chest down too but things like this were hard to practice in the game time we had...

From the nets I saw in the stadia available they were all the loose box type and as with most option screens you did not get chance to mess with them as guys wanted game time, I'm hoping to get through them next week...

Last edited:
A lot of the questions really could do with second answers/backing up or discussion to be honest - but I'll leave the rest if anyone wants to answer those. My answers are by no means definitive so if you disagree, by all means say! We have all had limited time on the game, so the more hours going into these impressions the better.

Great feedback and reviews, enjoying your posts. I have a few questions:

1) In WC, sometimes the wrong player runs after a through ball (often happens when I play a through ball to the winger, and then are switched to the forward, who have to run a longer distance), did you notice this?

2) There have been some comments, that players still fall over each others, but how about standing in the way of each other? (f.ex. a striker runs between a shot and the goal)

3) Did you encounter any frantic randomness in in-the-box situtations?

4) Are defenders (and attackers) better at finishing/clearing quickly in the box, at the expense of accuracy? (There are so many times the defender/attacker needs to control the ball, before doing anything, although I'm just mashing the shoot button, because I know there's no time, but to try a lucky shot.)

5) Was the instant replay cam changed, or is it still crappy?

Thanks,

1. Not playing WC that much, I'm probably not the best to answer, though I did not have this happen to me in the demo...

2. Again this never happened, ref got in the way a couple and I ran into the side of my own player once...

3. The demo had a few glitches in there as to be expected though there was an occasion where a keeper came and flapped at a cross that ended in a melee in the box... :P

4. Seemed easier to clear from the times I had to, with more power on the odd header I did, only got a couple of snap shots off close in and they were more turn and hit, these both had weak power to them but happened quickly...

5. Not that I can remember? I only scored 3 goals and most time apart from some glory whores who we won't mention they were not repeated much... :P

Player switching any better?

I play 2vAI most of the time where player switching is awful so I may be biased but it was fine for me, only the odd error...

@ the guys who played it,

Noticed any / too much chesting in the area when trying to header the ball. Rom said they have added more animations for header to make it happen less after the guildford build. You guys notice it?

Will get started on another extensive questionlist for CM. :D

As I said elsewhere I had a couple of occasions where I thought I'd head the ball and chested it instead, seemed a little harder to head to me but as you bounced from console to console it was hard to tell what settings you were on...

Make sure you get everything you want on there I'm planning to camp there if needs be to cover all I need... :PIRATE:

I'm still worry about Defensive AI...
Nick, Rod, Rom can you tell me about it and if AI is intelligent or not?

I'm going to get some MM time next week so will see how the AI works in a competitive match and hopefully with less than 4* squads too, any other questions on that front get them into me...

Last edited:
is it possible to still 'ping pong' pass?

i'm curious, as last game i played was just horrible.

is it possible to still 'ping pong' pass?

i'm curious, as last game i played was just horrible.

As most have said the ping pong is improved, we had top players and found it harder to string them together, the pressing is also better though we were not playing pressing whores or against the AI in competitive games, I will see how the AI plays in MM next week...:PIRATE:

It's been said a few times that according to Rutter it's not too late to make changes, plus this year they have the capability to make changes post-release without a patch, is there anyway we can get them to change ground passing with manual controls like we discussed - so through pass and ground pass are more differentiated, i.e. one long, one short?

Did you bring up concerns with manual controls?

Did manual controls play any different/better/worse than last year?

I'm afraid I didn't. I had kinda the presumption that the main things which could help this are kinda locked down - ie, either a huge segregatory/balance type thing.

But this is something which could be done, I guess. I'll PM around and see what could potentially be done and start a thread.

As most have said the ping pong is improved, we had top players and found it harder to string them together, the pressing is also better though we were not playing pressing whores or against the AI in competitive games, I will see how the AI plays in MM next week...:PIRATE:

cheers for response nick, last thing, any noticeble improvements on defence lines/positioning?

Nice responses Nick. Lami, i have some impressions in my sig if you wanna check, some of the things found out where questions asked pre-emirates by members.

But this is something which could be done, I guess. I'll PM around and see what could potentially be done and start a thread.

I think it'd be step toward making manual more effective. I really wish they'd devoted more time to manual but no surprise they didn't I guess. At least they fixed the first touch bug I hear.

Also, can someone explain the new lob pass? When would you use it, what would it replace? Is it for long/medium/both passes?

Hi guys, im pretty sure you're going to see plenty of these threads popup over the forums over the next couple of days regarding Emirates/Gamerbase impressions so I thought I would get mine in quickly

Im just gonna do a brief 'ish' summary of the gamescon build that was playable at the Emirates (monday) and is playable at the Gamerbase tours (today - friday). The podcast by the FSB lads will cover alot more detail (due out on friday).

If you wish you can ask any questions regarding gameplay which I will try to answer and for anyone that went either yesterday or today please feel free to add your comments to the discussion.

Sooo...

Pressure (both types)

Pressure has been toned down quite alot. Over the last two days I have tried time and again to continually hold down the X button (A for 360) when not in possession to see whether the player that I was controlling would just 'home in towards the ball'...this wasnt so - the 'lock on' distance has been shortened alot and in general not worthwhile unless pressing with a player that have a good attributes for stand tackle and other defensive based ones (for example Essien).

I found it more useful to defend by jockeying to try and cover passing lanes. Defending man vs man is definately more user skilled this year and you best double up on Messi because in the right hands he can be made to play just like he does in real life - you will have to use Inter Milan tactics to stop him (double man aggressive marking).

Pro Passing (the big debate subject!).

The implementation of Pro Passing is interesting but it just didnt do enough for me. I normally play on Manual but today played pretty much on either semi assisted/assisted. Its not harsh enough well at least it didnt seems so maybe because the lowest starred team was Leverkusen (4 star).

I literally full powered several passes with Hyppia to Rolfes, who was standing 5-10 yards away at the most, and the pass was perfect and so was Rolfes controlling of the pass. The same happened when underpowering a pass - at the moment PP is far too forgiving in terms of power applied to the pass.

On the contextual error side I tried many 135-180 degree passes which were not as effective as they were in Fifa 10 but still as accurate. What I mean is that it seems the ball bobbles and the speed of the pass is affected, which is good but I found there was no directional inaccuracy.

Player Switching - I only use manual player switching regardless of control scheme and I found it better than in Fifa 10.

I dont use RS/R3 switching yet as I havent perfected it but using L1(LB Xbox) was better than Fifa 10 in selecting the most appropriate player to go to the ball when being pressed.

Jockeying - Absolutely love jockey defending! It felt the same as in Fifa 10 but I did notice that the ball seems to get blocked more with good defensive players rather than it almost always going past your players foot/outstretched leg like it did on Fifa 10 (well at least to me).

If you dont use jockeying to help defend on Fifa 10 I suggest you sharpen up your skills now! Players like Ronaldo/Messi (who will be abused online) are now sometimes only stoppable by effective containment through jockeying and then a well timed sliding/standing tackle as the previously over effective secondary/standing press tackle has been made less effective.

Tap Pass on Manual - Seems to be fixed . Was definately one of my biggest annoyances when you would low power a pass first time after receiving an aerial ball and it would go soooo much further than you powered it.

Back Post Corners - Tried a few of these using different techniques and button combos but the GK's have definately improved at reading these.

Game Speed - much slower than shown in those horrid Gamescon videos even though we played the same build! It is definately slower than Fifa 10.

Weak Foot Tendencies/Power - Shots seem to have much less power and accuracy when using a players weaker foot although I did see someone score a 20 yard shot with Didier Drogba but im sure he has done that in real life before?

Cant really judge the tendency of players using there weaker foot as the demo is quite short timewise and when trying to test out several other things you sometimes forget something else you should have been testing/trying more!

Drilled Lob Pass (R1+square) - I think thats what they are called?!?! An amazing addition...I got so much satisfaction from using Xabi Alonso or Xavi and hitting drilled Lob Passes from the centre circle to out wide on the wing for Ronaldo/Messi to run onto or takedown into their stride whilst continuing their run!

Other things noticed and asked about beforehand:

* Slide tackles felt more meaty and had different animations
* Players still sometimes collide with each other and at times certain areas of the field such as the wing felt crowded.
* Can dribble past players without using skills/exit moves using players with good dribbling ability.
* Freekicks still have the same system as in Fifa10 and WC
* No option seen to change radar colours
* Ref wore a totally different colour top to the teams.
* Putting a defender on the line during a freekick doesnt make the AI push your attacking players up further (as the guy on the line is playing everyone onside!).
* Pressure tackles in the box give pens like in WC game
* A penalty was given when a freekick hit someones hand in the wall!
* No real evidence seen of banana crossing (crosses with mad swerze)
* No semi-manual thru balls!
* Celebrations are fun...cant wait to do multiplayer one
* Player faces are AMAZING! Soo many people were taking video footage and pictures of the faces because they were top quality captures.
* Didnt notice any existing exploits from Fifa 10 in the build I played although whether there are new ones is yet to be seen.

Overall I am very satisfied with the progress that EA have made. Although Pro-Passing is a bit of a mess atm imo, with a few tweaks (which i understand have been made ) we are looking at what seems to be a very good game.

There are still a few issues that I have concerning other things (Manual v Assisted, defensive line problems etc) but I will post those in the right threads and send PM's to the right people.

Thanks for reading, would like to send a big shoutout the all the FSB lads and others (GC, HOB, PW) that I met @ the Emirates yesterday and also to Nick Cave who is on a personal mission to make sure that Career Mode is worthwhile playing this year and in the future!

Peace.

I think it'd be step toward making manual more effective. I really wish they'd devoted more time to manual but no surprise they didn't I guess. At least they fixed the first touch bug I hear.

Also, can someone explain the new lob pass? When would you use it, what would it replace? Is it for long/medium/both passes?

Well, I sent a couple of PMs and got a response :)

EA_GaryPaterson said:
I really like the idae but its not one I can shoehorn in for 11 though as you'd have to have ground pass and through pass both set to manual before we'd want the functionality to change as I don't want to ruin the controls for the people who use assisted/semi ground pass but manual through pass?

I could take a look at option 2 though and see if there is anything I can do, though I noticed a different game review on the forums today who thougt it was perfect. I'll take a look regadless.

Option 1 being them being definitively different, Option 2 just getting the direct pass to be good for the real tight passes.

Well, I sent a couple of PMs and got a response :)

Option 1 being them being definitively different, Option 2 just getting the direct pass to be good for the real tight passes.

Xaor, if he is talking about my review where I said 'the tap X pass is fixed' let him know I meant just for the situation I explained.

I let him now, quite possibly what he was referring to, who knows. I would be surprised if anyone didn't find this same issue.

Do you mean the more driven low arc lob, you could use it on any I would think only hit one myself around 20-25yrd it was great for running on as it comes over the shoulder, had more pace on it so you can take it on the fly...

Here you go Nick! :D

CM Questions

Match Atmosphere:
- Did you notice any difference in atmosphere between home/away/cup matches?
- Does the home crowd have a more active stance to star players from the away team? (Ronaldo getting extra boo's)
- How does custom audio sound? Assuming EA set up atleast one tune to hear it.
- How is the scheduling? Do matches have the right balance relative to time of day and weather? Is a saturday match during the day and weekday matches at night?
- Can you change weather/timeofday in the match screen? I've read you can.
- Does the crowd react appropriatly to a goal?
- Does the crowd have a subtle build-up in noise when a team is close to creating a chance? Irl you can hear the anticipation when Torres get's near the penalty area or lines himslef up for a shot. It's something they should really have in the game to make the sound flow more from action to action.
- Have the fan graphics improved? Team flags, camera flashes, WC-like ribbons during a cup final, stuff like that.
- Do stadiums actually fill up in the top league when playing a derby match?

Editing:
- Can you assign different net/pitch styles to stadiums (for example when setting the name and team for a certain stadium) Probably won't get to actually see it, maybe ask them if possible.
- Are there any options for editing players within CM?
--> If not, I assume that all edits must be made prior to starting a CM career for them to take effect?

Match AI:
- How did you find the AI? Could you tell the difference between teams (Arsenal vs Bolton for example).
- Do teams edit their tactics according to score? A 2-0 lead should mean a more defensive, counter attacking set-up by the winning team, or a team losing should activily play more attacking and take risks.
- Did you notice any difference playing teams fighting relegation or possible champions? For example a team lower in the league (playing a top team) should be set-up to try a get a point (defensive) whereas a team trying to win the league playing relegation fodder should have extra attackign urgency.
- Has P+ made an impact to how teams play? AI giving the ball more often to a star player or using the speed of a winger?
- Does P+ have a big enough effect in general
- Does P+ have a big enough effect in the lower leagues, or do teams become more and more generic the lower you go?
- Did you find you had to combat star players more?
- How is pressure generally? For 10 I had to edit all the teams with custom tactics to back-the-f@#k up!
- Do lower league teams get a ridiculous cup boost?
- How does fatigue effect teams in the league.
- How does fatigue effect teams in cups, lower league teams can be up-for-it for 60min but after that they should be knackered.
- Does the AI make realistic substitutions? Or do they go through the motion every game?
- Does the AI choose appropriate lineups (no more Giggs at LB/ Hangeland at RB) and can we still fix AI lineups if worst case it's still bad?

CM Off-the-Pitch
- What are the club development options?
- Can you change stadium when growing?
- Did you find the menu's to be a good improvement? Found the WC ones to give a decent amount of info / atmosphere.
- Are the news items good? Do they add to the atmosphere, give a realistic impression of what's going on?
- Has board feedback been improved?
- Has the weekly info been improved? I mean, WTF is the point of lastweek/thisweek wages?!
- Is club budget now obvious and clearly presented?
- Are emails usefull?
- Do players try to leave when not being played?
- Good overview of Statistics? Player/leagues/cups/euroleagues/managerhistory/etc
- Is the "Assistant manager" still in the game? If so is it actually remotely useful or does it still choose the completely wrong players for positions?

Transfers
- Does the AI perform realistic transfers?
- Have they sorted out having the same player transfer every window? I'm sure Ive seen the same guy move club every time!
- How active are the AI when trying to buy your player?
- When trying to buy a player is it clear what's going on? CLub want's more / player wants more money / Appropriate transfers = Accrington won't be buying Ronaldo, etc.
- Is scouting a good improvement?
- Free/loan transfers?
- How active are clubs when trying to sign you as manager? Are the offers appropriate? If I'm succesfully managing Liverpool but have a 2* rating (which is odd anyway) I should be getting good euro teams offering jobs, not lower league teams.

Injuries
- I think you know!

Scout & Youth Players- Is there more to the new scouting feature than the scout making recommendations during the transfer period?
- With the old scout system removed, how do we have access to undiscovered youth players to refresh and maintain our squads as the mode advances in years?
- Are CPU teams still automatically generating fake young players?
- Are fake players still faceless?
--> Are they more realistic?
--> Have they been given names that commentators will say?
--> Do they have traits?
--> How are their player models? More varied?

Player Development- How has the player growth system changed/improved from last year?
- Has the option returned to manage player growth directly or is growth automatic again like last year?
--> If player growth is automatic, do we have any input/involvement in the process?
- How is the speed of player growth (i.e. how many OVR pts might a player gain per year)?
- Has the player scouting reports and potential growth charts evolved/improved?
--> Are they more detailed?
--> Do we know what specific attributes are changing?
--> Are these reports available when deciding on transfers?
- As players grow, is it possible for them to gain new traits?
- As players grow, is it possible for them to gain skill stars for more tricks?

VP
- Can you confirm that in PM mode we will not have the option to control our entire squad on the pitch if our VP is playing?

Added Placebo's questions
Added Max's questions

Last edited:
Questions missing:

Match AI:
Does the AI choose appropriate lineups (no more Giggs at LB/ Hangeland at RB) and can we still fix AI lineups if worst case it's still bad?

CM Off-the-Pitch
Is the "Assistant manager" still in the game? If so is it actually remotely useful or does it still choose the completely wrong players for positions?

Back
Top Bottom