FIFA 11 - PC

Interview with PC Producer Ian Jarvis

Q: Last year the PC producer (Luke Didd) showed himself a bit in the official forum. Will you ever come in the official forums talking with the community?
IJ: Yes, I’ll be on the forums. To this point I’ve not been able to given that the game was not announced publically. That said, I’ve obviously spent a lot of time on the forums reading what people said about FIFA 10 on PC (even saw an online petition to bring next gen to PC) so I’m looking forward to contributing to the forums going forward.

Q: What is the main reason why the FIFA 11 PC game will be a FIFA 10 NG porting (+ World Cup improvements) and not directly a FIFA 11 NG porting?
IJ: This is a good question and one that I got asked at pretty much every tour stop. Basically it boils down to the amount of effort required to bring the next gen engine onto PC and the fact that FIFA 11 on console is still in development so it’s very much a moving target. A lot of people seem to think that bringing next gen to PC should be a pretty simple ‘cut and paste’ of the code and BOOM, all done! Not so much. Given the huge effort to achieve this and as mentioned, the fact that the console guys are creating new features that are currently not finished, it was a bit of a moving target to take ALL of the FIFA 11 features. That said, there are some announcements coming out at Gamescom that I think will put to rest a lot of the comparisons as there are a number of features that we can then talk about that will be very much aligned with the console offering. Stay tuned.

Q: Is it true that there will be no 10vs10 in FIFA 11 PC? What's the problem with it? And if there is no 10vs10, how can be used the Virtual Pro player online?
IJ: I can’t really speak about the online offerings at this point. It’s something that we’re announcing later on. One thing to keep in mind though is that based on what you’ve written you sound like you are both an avid PC gamer AND console gamer. I think that the vast majority of our target gamers are hardcore PC gamers and may not necessarily play on console. For these people, they will have a HUGELY improved experience from FIFA 10 PC and can rest assured that we have (hopefully!) done a great job at bringing PC into the next gen realm. I also think that the PC is always going to be a slightly unique experience from the console given its nature. There are going to be features on PC that aren’t even on console. Some of the callouts from the tour that people loved were LAN play, amazingly quick load times, super fast scrolling, the ability to customize the experience resolution wise, and supporting 35 different game pads. And like I said, there’s more news to come.

Q: Will there be the World Cup penalty system in FIFA 11 PC?
IJ: No. We have taken certain gameplay aspects from WC but not the penalty kick system. We could have but chose to focus efforts elsewhere. Did you like the WC implementation? Would be curious to hear your thoughts.

Q: Will there be the possibility to save replays on the HD too or only to send them to easports football world?
IJ: Good question. We’re only doing the EASPORTSfootball upload. Something to think about for next year though.

Q: Is Manager Mode on FIFA 11 PC going to be the same of FIFA 10 NG but with bug fixed? I would like to know especially if you fixed the several bugs in tournament structures (Coca-Cola Championship winner being qualified into Europa League) and the bug of international and important matches being played in day-time instead that in night-time!!! And also the several bugs of transfer market (players with no name, no reasons for transfers being denied and so on).
IJ: Again, something I can’t talk about at this point. We’ll be talking more about game modes at Gamescom. That said, I am very much aware of all the issues you’ve mentioned.

Q: I have tried FIFA 11 NG and I have been very pleased by the new intro cinematics, the new way of doing celebrations and the fact that there will be proper cup celebrations. Please tell me that you are not porting FIFA 10 NG cinematics, but you are inserting FIFA 11 NG ones instead!!!! Please
biggrin.gif

IJ: We will be using FIFA 11 console cinematics (which obviously will have certain elements from FIFA 10 console in there as well). Again, most of the people who buy this game will likely not all be console gamers as we are targeting the hardcore PC user. I think that if you look at someone who played FIFA 10 on PC and then show them FIFA 11 on PC, they will be very impressed with the improvement.

Q: Is the commentary going to be the next-gen one too or always the same of the previous PC versions?

IJ: Next gen commentary.

Q: Some people are moaning because in FIFA 11 PC new screenshots there are some non-coherent wrinkles from shoulders to sleeves and some think that we are not going to get moving clothes and hair in FIFA 11 PC, but only static wrinkles and so on... Can you say something for this and for this copy-paste glitch (as they call it)?
IJ: I’m not sure where this screenshot came from but since it has the EA watermark it looks like it came from an EA source. That said, how did you feel about the cloth and hair movement in FIFA 10 NG? Because we’ll have that.

Q: You released the recommended hardware specs, what about the minimum ones?
IJ: Min specs (not final):

================================================== ==========
1. Minimum System Requirements
================================================== ==========
CPU with Dual core processor (Core duo 2 or better)

Intel Core2Duo @ 1.8Ghz on Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7

1 Gigabyte of RAM (2 GB required for Windows Vista / Windows 7)

DirectX® 9.0c Compatible 3D accelerated 256 MB video card or equivalent

(must support Shader Model 3.0 or above)

DirectX® 9.0c Compatible Sound Card

512Kbps or greater broadband connection for online gameplay

MS compatible mouse

Keyboard

Please note that 16 bit colour is not supported

Install size varies by region (languages in brackets):

North America DD (Eng, Fr, Mx, Br) : about 6.5 GB

And additional space required for saved games and DirectX® 9.0c installation

Required Operating Systems:

Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, Windows 7

Note that Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, and Windows NT 4.0 are not supported.

Required Software:

DirectX® 9.0c

Q: Are you aware of the huge communities that edit the PC game and make mods for it? Did you take into consideration their presence when you ported the engine so that they could continue editing the game quite easily? Or do you plan to realize some kind of basic tool to help us with the new game files like it was when you released eagraph editor some ages ago?
IJ: Yep, definitely aware of these folks! For FIFA 11 PC we did not do anything to intentionally block or prevent people from modding. Go for it. That said, there is not a single line of code from FIFA 10 PC and our data structures are different, so the modder will have to become familiar with these before they can edit content. In talking with some technical guys on the team here, the thought is that it may take the community some time to be able to figure this out depending on their skills and desire. We’ve been busy trying to get the game finished and have not had time to work on any editing tool to help these folks and I personally haven’t been involved with this side of things. You’ll have to stay tuned on that.

Q: I would like not to ask you this, but I will for the good of some users: will there be high/normal and low socks on FIFA 11 PC too like in FIFA 11 NG? You know, they find a bit funny that a feature there was in FIFA 10 PC it is not going to be in FIFA 11 PC
biggrin.gif
I sincerely not make a big deal about it at all !!!

IJ: We’ll have answers related to specific visual stuff in a little bit so I can’t speak to this at the moment. This will turn out to be pretty minor compared to a bigger announcement we have for PC!

ME: Thanks for answering and a huge THANKS to you and your team for bringing NEXT-GEN ON PC!!!

IJ: You’re welcome. Hope you like it!

A small note: the answer to cinematics question was very different until yesterday night. Indeed I managed to convince Ian Jarvis to port FIFA 11 NG cinematics instead of awful FIFA 10 NG cinematics
biggrin.gif

The more interesting questions are answered with 'More info to come' bla bla.

So what he said means that you can't save replays on the PC version this year? Bloody hell...

Fraps is gay, I don't want a video file, I want a replay file so I can watch in any angle I feel like at the moment.

Fair point, I'm not sure if you can even save the replay on the console version in that form, I thought it'd still be the FLV file, just accessible ingame?

Fair point, I'm not sure if you can even save the replay on the console version in that form, I thought it'd still be the FLV file, just accessible ingame?

Yeah it's probably just a FLV file, that's what I find so annoying. We had the option to save replay files back in the day and they replace it with video only, it doesn't make any sense. I think being able to upload a video is good for people that want to show off, but surely it can't be that hard to give us a replay editor/player too.

It's not the end of the world, but it is extra annoying because football games always had this feature in the past.

Skate 3 by EA has the best replay system in any game i've seen... There's loads of editing options, you can save to HDD and upload to the net, and the quality seems better than FIFA's uploads, and by paying extra you can upload unlimited videos in HD...

Here's a couple of examples by me:
http://skate.ea.com/gallery?content...tType=SKATE_REEL&filter=ALLTIME&itemId=821466
http://skate.ea.com/gallery?content...pe=VIDEO&contentType=SKATE_REEL&itemId=821567
(I think both are pretty funny, may be worth a watch :P)

Why can't they have all that for FIFA?

minimum specs are too high for this kind of game.

and what brings me to surprise is that those minimum specs are almost the same like recommended ones. what's the catch?

So everyone complains there's no PC NG version and now the min specs are too high? ;)

pes 2010 pc is next gen game and look the minimum and recommended specs.

and what you have missed is the fact that there is almost no difference between recommended and minimum specs for fifa 11 pc, which is unexceptable.

I'd argue that PES isn't next gen, being on console doesn't immediately make your technology next gen ;)

It's a very irritating term isn't it. If PS3/360 is next gen - what does that make games like Crysis on PC? Next Next Gen? Because if a console tried to run that at the same settings as a decent PC it would set on fire

Everyone knows that PC technologies is always and will always be ahead of console technology, doesn't change the fact it's a first rate platform with third rate support in terms of titles :)

According to the source these are Screenshots of PC Version
playing with xbox controller. Looks awesome if it's really PC.

33871098.jpg

36997066.jpg

12098230.jpg

76945782.jpg

21939927.jpg

yasarcangameplayss.jpg

According to the source these are Screenshots of PC Version
playing with xbox controller. Looks awesome if it's really PC.

33871098.jpg

/2976/yasarcangameplayss.jpg[/IMG]

the guy who took these pictures easly could have recored some videos of the gameplay itself, not only just photos. :TWIST:

Back
Top Bottom