Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Nevermind the fact that they don't pass back, what irks me is how the AI seems to think the only available option to get past an oncoming defender is through the use of that silly Mcgeady spin trick... that alone was reason enough for me to give up on playing offline, and while playing against humans doesn't change the limited types of goals you can score in the game, at least I can find some semblance of variety when it comes to offensive plays online, especially in Clubs.

In other news, EA actually bothered to put up a video announcement for next week's reveal of the first FIFA12 screenshot! YouTube - FIFA 12 | First Screenshot
Given that the last 4 FIFAs have looked much the same I don't see why so much emphasis is being given to a screenshot. Maybe they have actually upgraded the visuals

Sadly it's most likely typical EA Sports hyperbole, I'd be shocked if the response from us gamers is anything other than "is that Fifa 10/11 or 12?"..

FIFA's still-image visuals are normally not great anyway (especially on consoles) with an unrealistic colour palettes, lighting and whatnot. It's only when it's in motion that it really looks decent... A screenshot is probably the worst way to show off FIFA.

Fifa's next gen lighting is horrifically bad, especially when you change the various weather settings, I don't understand how they don't have people hired just to get the lighting right as it can make or break a game's visuals IMO.

I refuse to ever play in Snowy or Dusk settings, they look terrible. If they have upgraded the visuals, I hope that the lighting and the pitch textures are the things they've looked at.

This "screenshot" will most likely be a render that gets extensively touched-up in Photoshop anyway.

I think them exclusively showing it on Facebook says EVERYTHING about Fifa. THE mainstream game meets THE mainstream networking website.

Mitch North likes EXCLUSIVE FIFA 12 SCREENSHOT. No thanks even though it mite look propa sik doe blud.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just one of those screenshots that they had last year for different players. Like a render of how the rooney face looks in engine. Didn't they release a lot of those? Like Rooney, Iniesta, Kaka etc to start the hype.

Edit: Seems like they used actual screenshots as first screenies last year. This was the first one for FIFA 11, so maybe something similar.
fifa-11-1st-pic.jpg

Last edited:
If this screenshot is anything but telling of an important new feature/overhaul it's going to be pretty grating. However much I hope FIFA does well there is something incredibly grating about so many of the things they've done over the last few years/months and this could well be another extension of that.

Maybe I just need to accept that EA's marketing in no way revolves around people like myself and in fact has got to the point where people are so submissive to EA that they will praise more or less anything they do.

To be fair, it could have been put to verdi's requiem, or requiem for a dream, so it's only slightly over the top ;P

It's always hilarious how people actually get excited about early screenshots for FIFA. Like Nerf says, they're always pre-rendered shots that look amazing but don't represent the actual in game footage. That shot above was a perfect example. I remember magazines and websites analysing this shot and others like it, praising the player likenesses and how the lighting was imported and tweaked from the World Cup game, but as we all know the game's graphical quality looked nothing like these shots whatsoever. I also doubt we'll be able to infer anything about the game from one shot.

Speaking of lighting actually, I 100% agree, the lighting in dusk and overcast is horrible. Is it me or was the lighting, particularly during floodlit matches, better in the WC2010 game? It's largely the same in FIFA11, but somehow it looked a bit more pronounced. They seemed to make the lighting in FIFA11 somewhat flat compared to the WC game. In fact, there are lots of aspects of the WC game that looked better.

And seriously, a video announcing a screenshot? Utter bullshit. The marketing machine is here again, where from now until October EA will be your best friend, then piss off into the sunset once the game is out and patches are needed.

Last edited:
Speaking of lighting actually, I 100% agree, the lighting in dusk and overcast is horrible. Is it me or was the lighting, particularly during floodlit matches, better in the WC2010 game? It's largely the same in FIFA11, but somehow it looked a bit more pronounced. They seemed to make the lighting in FIFA11 somewhat flat compared to the WC game. In fact, there are lots of aspects of the WC game that looked better.

It was the same with the Euro 2008 game. The lighting in that game was superb, especially the night lighting which has never looked as good in any Fifa since.

Sounds mental, but you can guarantee it'll get a sh*tload of traffic to their facebook page. Which is all they're goin for I'd imagine.

It was the same with the Euro 2008 game. The lighting in that game was superb, especially the night lighting which has never looked as good in any Fifa since.

I wonder why the graphics would take a backward step when they already had the technology implemented in an older game? Same goes for the directional chest control from WC2010 I suppose.....

FIFA has HORRENDOUS design issues... The hands the shoulders of the players the dead faces.... The whole player design MUST be thrown out of the window...

Processing power?

But if they'd already pushed better lighting and certain gameplay elements from the existing engine then how could processing power be an issue? WC2010 for example already proved that you could program this for the game's current engine.

FIFA has HORRENDOUS design issues... The hands the shoulders of the players the dead faces.... The whole player design MUST be thrown out of the window...

Yep. Believe it or not though, Fifa11 is an improvement over 10 in this area. But EA needs to adresss this. The arms, hands and shoulders look terrible. The torso is a total mess at times too.

fifa12 screen looks like PES .. haha !

It's the lighting. Tit's definitely been improved. Sad that EA can't get the bodies 100% nailed though. The shirts always look weird and as do the arms and hands. Oh well.

Hopefully they copied PES player movement.

But if they'd already pushed better lighting and certain gameplay elements from the existing engine then how could processing power be an issue? WC2010 for example already proved that you could program this for the game's current engine.

Well i wasn't entirely trying to suggest that it was what i believed but the games that do have better lighting have been more basic by comparison. WC & Euro 2008 both having much less data (teams, stadiums and such). Games are complex, i don't know how they work fully.

Wow.......amazing.......

With the position of his standing foot in the second pic, does this mean footplanting is back....to ankle breaking effect?!

Back
Top Bottom