FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

not sure anyone has tried this and not sure if it helps or not as im undecided. But has anyone tried using manual player selection and see if it helps with tracking runs.

there is no „option“!
what console do you own? What version of the game? All digital might be different.
Please, Check you storage > games and apps. I would be surprised if there wasn’t 2 FIFA listed.

Damn, you're right, there it is. I would have never looked there, I think the "you can choose which version you want to play"-thing confused me, because on the home screen I can't choose between any version.

Sorry to confuse you. I'm an old fart with no clue... :LOL:

I am really struggling with the controls right now as I always played with PES-controls, which means sprint on R1 (and some other changes). But because of the adaptive triggers I'm trying to play on default controls (except changing circle and square for shooting) and it makes me mad. All of a sudden I permanently try to press x for the cursor change (in NHL sprint is R2 too, and cursor change is x) and sometimes I press the weirdest things because my brain just does not cope with it at all... :LOL:

Never thought if this.

Makes sense now. I couldn’t figure why my finesse had a weird pressure to it, but it’s FIFA sprint.

I play with pro controls.

It was late last night I gotta have a go, but really enjoyed it with the new camera.

Damn, you're right, there it is. I would have never looked there, I think the "you can choose which version you want to play"-thing confused me, because on the home screen I can't choose between any version.

Sorry to confuse you. I'm an old fart with no clue... :LOL:

Not sure if it has been mentioned but if you press start on the FIFA icon at the top of the ps5 screen, it gives you the option there before you select the game.

Yes. Hover over the games tile and press the options button (aka start). select “game version” and tick the appropriate game!
Yes. Hover over the games tile and press the options button (aka start). select “game version” and tick the appropriate game!

👍🏻 Yes, options haha.

Still stuck in the past.

I quite enjoyed my few games. Gonna try the sliders to see if this will be the first footy game I actually play and not just constantly try to make it a good experience.

This guy, whose name may as well be Gamerbro5000, has put up a video called "Next Gen *NEW* Career Mode Features". Literally just pre-match cut-scenes.

Worth watching just to see A) how he says the graphics are incredible just as a cartoon Andy Robertson appears, B) how ridiculous the AI bullet-speed ping-pong passing is right from kick-off, C) at 5:25, he goes ULTIMATE GAMERBRO and says "oh my God I didn't even put Ronaldo on the bench, what am I doing", and D) at 6:50 (and before) he calls the new camera unplayable (before this, he says it's just too far away).

I'm so out of touch with modern gamers. This is who EA are aiming the game at, and they're seemingly happy as fuck.

This guy, whose name may as well be Gamerbro5000, has put up a video called "Next Gen *NEW* Career Mode Features". Literally just pre-match cut-scenes.

Worth watching just to see A) how he says the graphics are incredible just as a cartoon Andy Robertson appears, B) how ridiculous the AI bullet-speed ping-pong passing is right from kick-off, C) at 5:25, he goes ULTIMATE GAMERBRO and says "oh my God I didn't even put Ronaldo on the bench, what am I doing", and D) at 6:50 (and before) he calls the new camera unplayable (before this, he says it's just too far away).

I'm so out of touch with modern gamers. This is who EA are aiming the game at, and they're seemingly happy as fuck.
True. It is a crazy world we’re living in, bro!!

Always makes me laugh/cry how much stick parents used to give kids for playing computer games all day. Now you can be a millionaire from it.

Just thinking about the hours I put into Winning Eleven with the default team in ML on Superstar difficulty....would have been YouTube gold.

Gen Z have it great. Low standards and they make money from it. That time I scored with Vorlander from my own box - would've broken the internet.

Gen Z have it great. Low standards and they make money from it. That time I scored with Vorlander from my own box - would've broken the internet.

Castolo in the 90th after Burchet had sped down the wing after being put through by Miranda (one of the great #10 of all time real or virtual). It's amazing how those games had more individuality than either modern ones.

forgot one thing .. the font has been changed to ITALIC 😂😂🤣

2 more penalties last night. Scored one and hammered the other one against the woodwork. :)

Still, the opponent ain’t got a yellow for both of them.

Anyone getting this DS controller bug, where whatever you set the controller feedback to (even off) it gives „bad rumble“!?

Anyone getting this DS controller bug, where whatever you set the controller feedback to (even off) it gives „bad rumble“!?

Yes, me and my brother when playing last night both experienced the same issue.
Sounds like a clunk, like something just broke - I did change the settings as well to Classic and Off, neither fixed the issue.

They also need an option to turn off the haptics as well, it is a load of shit - Every game around the 65th minute the buttons become harder to press that instead of adding to the immersion is just out right annoying.

So played the game last night and my thoughts:-

Graphically - Not sure as I play on PC Ultra, but didn't really realise any graphical improvement, except the grass now looks like your playing on an artificial pitch.

Gameplay - Personally, maybe because I only played online but the game plays the same as previous gen version.

Haptics - Please let me turn this off, I have never experienced anything so shit and gimmicky in all my life.

I will try and play it some more single player over the next couple of days and see if I notice any difference.

Yes, me and my brother when playing last night both experienced the same issue.
Sounds like a clunk, like something just broke - I did change the settings as well to Classic and Off, neither fixed the issue.

They also need an option to turn off the haptics as well, it is a load of shit - Every game around the 65th minute the buttons become harder to press that instead of adding to the immersion is just out right annoying.
Yes, exactly. Looks like it’s bugged at the moment. I had the same pattern!

i turned the trigger feature in the controller settings off at the end to keep on playing.

It's definitely not a generational leap graphically, but it's noticeably better looking on the PS5 in my opinion. It's not even a case of "Hm, if I squint I suppose it looks a little different." I've played FIFA on PC for years. I don't have a top, top end PC, but I have a 2080 Super, 3900x, and 64GB of ram. More than enough for anything FIFA could possibly throw at it. The only caveat is that I use a 1440p display on my PC, not 4k. With that said, I play on Ultra, 144 FPS, max DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) with Reshade and LOD mods. Still doesn't look as good as FIFA on the PS5. I've said it before, but the current-gen version has much better lighting which makes for a better looking game as a result.

I feel like people in general really downplay how much lighting affects the visual fidelity of a game. It reminds me of PES 2018 (mainly at night) which is head and shoulders above anything FIFA has put on offer. Last-gen (mainly Frostbite era) FIFA games have stadium lighting and turfs that look they fell out of an Xbox 360 game from 2008 where the color palette of choice was various shades of brown and grey. Sure, from a zoomed out broadcast cam, things like player models won't jump out as being super-awesome-amazing. The stadiums/crowds themselves are superior looking and the the LOD is pretty good.

In terms of player closeups and replays, again, it's not a contest between the two (even if they are locked to 30 FPS which is a shame). Some will claim this is trivial or inconsequential and that's fair, but closeups and replays occur quite often and as replay tinkerer, it's fantastic. Unfortunately, not every player model is created equally in EA's world. Not everyone gets the Alisson or Messi treatment.

Look at my boy Messi. He's primed and ready for that Tresemmé commercial! Certainly does not look like this on the last-gen version.

1205200644_HDR.jpg

1205200629a.jpg

I do agree that the pitch lacks depth. It almost looks like a water color painting, very strange indeed.

I personally love the haptic feedback. Adds a bit of tangible feedback which I enjoy. It tricks my brain into making the movement feel more "weighty." It doesn't fatigue my fingers or hands, so I leave it on.

Last edited:
Not been following this thread closely so I might be barking up the wrong tree but re. the haptic feedback and buttons getting harder to press from a certain time in the match - is this supposed to be simulating fatigue in the players? If so, is the feeling different from player to player, depending on how much energy each individual player has left and when you make subs, do the fresh players not have the button resistance and only the tired players do?

Not been following this thread closely so I might be barking up the wrong tree but re. the haptic feedback and buttons getting harder to press from a certain time in the match - is this supposed to be simulating fatigue in the players? If so, is the feeling different from player to player, depending on how much energy each individual player has left and when you make subs, do the fresh players not have the button resistance and only the tired players do?

Correct. As you said, it's noticeable later on in the match when you bring on subs or say, control your keeper.

Man, they really fucked up bookings in this game. I remember they "fixed" the card happy refs (honestly, you would get booked for barely touching people) awhile back, but now it's just the polar opposite. You can straight murder a man and not even get a yellow.

I quite like the haptics , no all players are affected or affected at the same time . I had one guy on bottom red and I could hardly push so it told me I needed a sub then it loosened up.after a lot of games though not sure I'm sold ..I'm getting zero free kicks against the AI. Even when they try and foul my player auto jumps which is annoying as fuck. Visually it's miles better

I switched the R2 and R1 buttons so it’s super annoying when the trigger hampering kicks in. I turned it off for now (PS5 controller settings).

Had the top match against Liverpool in career mode with Leeds. Finally some yellow cards.
I‘m far from where I want to be when it comes to using all the control options available to my advantage.
But more and more I’m getting used to the FIFA21 controls and it’s quirks. And as im working on my stick skills I tinker with the sliders every match too. Broadcast cam and it’s angles are another challenge for me.
This weekend is dedicated to the tactics. Currently I’m using only team press and offside trap via quick menu but I want more. Some really nice options here I have to admit.

The complete Liverpool match is currently uploading. YouTube takes forever to process a 35 min. video...!

Last edited:
Tactically on Fifa.

There is only a couple of changes you need to make.
Play Balanced for defending, or press on heavy touch.
Put it on around the 4th block for depth, so the CPU can't get in behind and rape you on the counter.

Then play long ball and set width to just below middle as I can't seem to get crossing to work on FIFA 21, and then set players in box to about 2/3 the way up the bar.

You will then get players moving when attacking and can use the severely overpowered through ball to get behind.

As for formation it is not really that important and down to personal preference but you have to have a CAM or you will find it more difficult to create and score.

I watched a lot of videos of FIFA 21 on PS5 , the hair and overall textures are very nice, the animations and gameplay are terrible, which is quite disappointing, but ... somehow, the players and the pitch-field look like from different scenes, they look desolate together.
From the first second as soon as I saw the gameplay video, I noticed that something was wrong! Today, after watching a few games on TV, and playing a few games at PES 2021, I realized what the problem was.
The players shadows at night on the field are very, very wrong! They lack density or are on wrong positions and in this way the players look as if they are not stepping on the field or are above it! Few examples :

Here if you ignore Di Maira's shorts, look Neymar, no he do not jumping or flying, but he walking on the field :

Here is shadows in PES 2021 with the same or close lighting condition:

Last edited:
And here we go... it’s finally processed!

Edit: I am playing on one step down from world class, opposed to what is advised (by the OS sliders). But this is the only difficulty where I can test everything. Sorry if the opponent AI looks easy... but I need to get the hang of everything.
as soon as I feel comfortable I’ll up the difficulty.

Last edited:
So watched a few match clips on YouTube earlier and there are moments when the game looks like fun, random dramatic FIFA but there's also too many moments where the legs just look so laughable when dribbling the players look like spiders scuttling away from danger when they receiving the ball and turning and dribbling.

Now I don't expect Gran Turismo level of physics and simulation in football games these days but there is literally no logical footplanting at all. The devs have obviously highly prioritised unsolicited responsiveness over realistic animation framing that could be perceived as causing input delay or latency that it just looks jarring and unsightly.

It's like the players have to constantly dislocate their pelvises to perform rudimentary dribbles.

Anyway, As per the discussion about the ball deformation a few days ago, Looks like it wasn't just exaggerated for the trailer... That it is actually an in-game graphical gimmick after all.

Back
Top Bottom