FIFA 21 Discussion (Console Versions)

Downloaded at lunch.
You can delete the PS4 version of the game.
I just went to my collection and selected the PS4 version and deleted.
thanks, I know.
When you insert the disk again it will install the PS4 version. It’s only 3.5 MB in FIFA21 but Valhalla for example installs the whole game afair.
Thanks for posting!

I've seen those slow.downs on YouTube.

Is the midfield any better at offering some resistance?
I'm not expecting fifa 16 levels of clogging the midfield but is it any better than ps4?

Cheers
yes. I noticed those slow downs during gameplay too. Needs fixing.

game looks better. Not miles but better.
the non resistant passing on manual was down to the slider settings btw. I could fix that. :)

@Matt10 what would you recommend setting shot and pass error to, when playing fuma? I mean everything manual!!!

Last edited:
Different game, but.

EA were bragging that Madden would have "next gen stats", and players got excited about how much more realistic gameplay would be.

If I understand it, this is about the extent of it:

This is how I feel about a lot of these FIFA changes... This year seems like it's even more about presentation than before. (Though I'll admit, the new camera looks really good.)

I just hope that over the next 12 months, Covid is (in a significant way) dealt with, and devs can do much more with the gameplay.

I'm still interested to try it, but at the current price point (and knowing it's 90% the same as the last-gen version), I'm not taking the plunge.

thanks, I know.
When you insert the disk again it will install the PS4 version. It’s only 3.5 MB in FIFA21 but Valhalla for example installs the whole game afair.

yes. I noticed those slow downs during gameplay too. Needs fixing.

game looks better. Not miles but better.
the non resistant passing on manual was down to the slider settings btw. I could fix that. :)

So you think sliders might help make for a better, less open game in midfield? If so, that sounds promising...

Are the opposition centre midfielders actually protecting the midfield then?

Sorry I cant see the option to download the PS5 update. Game library shows nothing, searching on FIFA shows the version tp buy??

Sorry I cant see the option to download the PS5 update. Game library shows nothing, searching on FIFA shows the version tp buy??

I went to game collection, pressed the button to the right of the pad thingy and selected Information or more information and then it came up with the option to purchase.
Then after starting to download, deleted FIFA 21 PS4 version, as can't afford to have any wasted space on the PS5's measly sized SSD.

I don’t expect anything regarding gameplay as this is the first release in new gen, but how are cutscenes still 30 FPS? It’s shocking, these new consoles are so powerful, they should have no impediments in that aspect.

At least it’s a free upgrade. Let’s see next year.

So you think sliders might help make for a better, less open game in midfield? If so, that sounds promising...

Are the opposition centre midfielders actually protecting the midfield then?
No. This was meant for the user passing.
i had trouble on fuma getting resistant results from passing. This was down to the pass error. Down to 50 and it’s more my mistake at the sticks rather than error quote.
The power bar is another topic but direction got better.

Last edited:
I got lucky in that I've got a PS5, and literally by just joining EA PLAY for £3.99 for one month, I have access to it, it downloaded in 20 mins nicely, you cant beat a 500mb Virgin connection!

Beautiful..............but from someone who mods FIFA 21 on PC, not a huge "OMG" as per the console only crowd who cannot believe there is a "new camera" angle to use....

Gameplay definitely has organic subtlety's now, the linking smoothly (or smoother.........) of the 10 years old animations helping, but when I think about it to have 10 years old quick twist and turn still in FIFA in the year 2020 is a disgrace, why have they not put some of the billions of £ they make towards creating new realistic animations, at times, that is all the game needs other than tweaks to the AI. Talking of the AI, definitely an improvement there as well, they seem to be using the "power of the PS5", what a pity EA dont use the "power of all the powerful PC's out there" accordingly.............

As i said i think this years next gen version is all about a cleaner more fluid experience. Next year is the new engine. Im sure of it. They have made some decent improvements and as mostly online player nowdays most are welcome(need better defensive ai mind you). fifa 21 looks and plays good enough for the fut experience while mostly playing other games( Cyperpunk etc)

Next year is a pivotal year in the football game market.

The points you've made are not wrong in theory, but I'm trying to say that 1v1 is at the core of the issue (not 100% of every single problem is 1v1, but the majority of these positional/tracking issues stem from that). For example, look at this video.

The reason the defenders aren't doing anything about the run is primarily because the defender giving chase is the '1'. The rest of the defence just stands and watches despite the fact he isn't even goal side. This is '1v1' according to the logic of the game.
I'm repeating myself, but I'm unable to reproduce that. No matter what I try, I can't run past the opponents like that on higher difficulties. The AI always chases me with multiple players.

Again, look at this example. The REASON the marking/positioning isn't right is because of the 1v1.

Look at 21 compared to FIFA 16 in the clip. See how the midfielders on 16 make an effort to move across and mark dangerous space despite the fact there are other defenders present. I know you'll point to the gap between the midfielders and defenders for 21 here - but it's happening BECAUSE of 1v1. They're 'switched off' and not making any effort to mark because the CBs are recognised as the markers for those attackers - again creating a 1v1 problem.
As above, in my experience, the AI midfielders defend a lot better than your own midfielders, so it's not a fundamental problem. The problem is that your own midfielders are given the instruction to stay 15m in front of the defenders. So basically they are waiting there because they are behind the ball so they're already preparing for your next attack. If the instruction was to stay 7.5m in front of the defenders, they would come closer and also automatically try to position themselves between the attacker and the goal when not behind the ball yet.

1) First a huge plot-twist: The player controlled with second man press is not an AI controlled player! It's a second player 100% controlled by user input!
That's not 100% controller by user input though because you only have one left stick. You neither need to care about positioning, nor do you need to actually time the tackle. It reduces defending to holding one button as in PES.

I'm repeating myself, but I'm unable to reproduce that. No matter what I try, I can't run past the opponents like that on higher difficulties. The AI always chases me with multiple players.

As above, in my experience, the AI midfielders defend a lot better than your own midfielders, so it's not a fundamental problem. The problem is that your own midfielders are given the instruction to stay 15m in front of the defenders. So basically they are waiting there because they are behind the ball so they're already preparing for your next attack. If the instruction was to stay 7.5m in front of the defenders, they would come closer and also automatically try to position themselves between the attacker and the goal when not behind the ball yet.

That's not 100% controller by user input though because you only have one left stick. You neither need to care about positioning, nor do you need to actually time the tackle. It reduces defending to holding one button as in PES.
I disagree. The logic is the main issue and the space is secondary. If the awareness was there they'd move. I have other examples where players are much closer and they still don't actively engage. Also, I'm not trying to create that issue, I found it just by playing on legendary settings, default sliders. I find it to be a regular occurrence.

I'm not saying these things just to bash the game either, I wish it wasn't there, but saying it’s not a fundamental problem when it is doesn’t help either.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed my first game just now, still installing as i didn't have time yesterday. Looks really nice and this is definitely not just a lick of paint. The AI feels more varied and it so much smoother, Obviously looks really good too. Fouls in general still lacking but one game and i did get a penalty.

Really enjoyed my first game just now, still installing as i didn't have time yesterday. Looks really nice and this is definitely not just a lick of paint. The AI feels more varied and it so much smoother, Obviously looks really good too. Fouls in general still lacking but one game and i did get a penalty.
Several penalties here, think 3 so far, all by minor touches from the AI.
i want more fouls and yellows! got one straight red for the opponent though. :)

Downloaded at lunch.
You can delete the PS4 version of the game.
I just went to my collection and selected the PS4 version and deleted.
Update: Restarted my console this morning, disc was still in from last night. The PS4 version gets downloaded automatically. This needs fixing from Sony!!

Several penalties here, think 3 so far, all by minor touches from the AI.
i want more fouls and yellows! got one straight red for the opponent though. :)

Overall impressions so far? Enjoying it? Is it fun? Is it better than ps4 version, or evolved in any way?

Also, is that new camera adjustable? I'm assuming only height and zoom if so?

Cheers

Is IT how its gonna look for the next Years? Or they will do IT from scratch like PES 2022?
Not impressed at all by how IT moves

This is it i guess. This is the same as the FIFA14 next gen. Although that was a completely different engine than FIFA21 kinda everything is the same. Of course expect minor details to be updated and features to added i guess.

Overall impressions so far? Enjoying it? Is it fun? Is it better than ps4 version, or evolved in any way?

Cheers

The last-gen version of FIFA 21 is my least favorite entry in the series since FIFA 07. I've made that abundantly clear on here since its release. If it wasn't for the free upgrade, I wouldn't even own a copy of it to begin with. FIFA 21 on PS5 remains an enigma to me. I can't fully explain it. It's clearly FIFA 21, but it just feels better. It has a lot of the same issues the last-gen version has, yet it's much more refined. I am enjoying it quite a bit. To the point where all my play time has been from playing with random teams on kick-off. I haven't done that on FIFA in many, many years. I would buy this for full price.

And yes, typical height and zoom. I use maximum zoom and lowest height and it's my favorite camera I've used in a football game. Just far enough away to see the pitch, but not to the point where I feel like I'm peering through the side panel of an ant farm. This is from someone who has toyed with cameras to hell and back on PES and FIFA on PC via mods.

You know what it is? This could be misconstrued as a negative, but I think it's accurate; it's a feeling of content. The flaws aren't detracting from my experience to the point where I want to nuke it from orbit like the past few FIFA titles. Yet.

Last edited:

Cheers
Well, it’s FIFA. :)
haven’t played the PS4 version to much. Graphics are good now. Appropriate I’d say.
But I even find joy in those different sized players during cutscenes! ;)

currently working with the OS sliders. Going from the advised set I tinkered a bit and lowered shot and pass error plus shot speed.

what helped me a bit this morning:

I am really struggling with the controls right now as I always played with PES-controls, which means sprint on R1 (and some other changes). But because of the adaptive triggers I'm trying to play on default controls (except changing circle and square for shooting) and it makes me mad. All of a sudden I permanently try to press x for the cursor change (in NHL sprint is R2 too, and cursor change is x) and sometimes I press the weirdest things because my brain just does not cope with it at all... :LOL:

Update: Restarted my console this morning, disc was still in from last night. The PS4 version gets downloaded automatically. This needs fixing from Sony!!

I suppose that is where the issue is.
I bought the digital edition recently, as it went cheap over black friday and Spurs sent me a code for an additional 20% off, and then bought top up cards from ShopTo.

The digital edition allows you to permanently delete the PS4 version.

I suppose that is where the issue is.
I bought the digital edition recently, as it went cheap over black friday and Spurs sent me a code for an additional 20% off, and then bought top up cards from ShopTo.

The digital edition allows you to permanently delete the PS4 version.

I never had the option to delete the digital PS4 version, it was simply overwritten by the PS5 version.

Coming hot off the heels of the PS4 version, one of the main things that sticks out to me as improved is the issue of players going on walkabouts. We all know there's a lack of player tracking in FIFA 21 coupled with a sporadic indifference from the players that could only be described as slothful. Midfielders staring into space like they just took a massive bong hit while the opposition has free reign into your final third. It doesn't seem as prevalent on current-gen.

Here's a clip I recorded the other day while playing the PS4 version:

I'm Villa. Watch as Nakamba goes full geriatric and just walks towards the loose ball. Does he attempt to track back once Martial starts to peel away? Nope, still walking. I've played almost 10 hours of the PS5 version and I've yet to see anything that egregious in terms of players switching off. Nothing like that at all, whereas this was a common occurrence every single match on the PS4 version.

In terms of midfielders tracking back, I have a kick-off match going as I type this where I run around, dive in, sit back, etc. to invite counters/pressure to see how the AI copes. I've been trying to recreate such lethargic behavior as seen in the aforementioned video. My efforts have been fruitless thus far, but I'm trying. To be fair, I've only been using 4-5 star sides. I haven't experimented with low rated teams.

Excuse the abysmal quality (1080p recording, uploaded to YT, downloaded, edited, reuploaded). I need to remember to set it to 4k!

This is a fantastic example. After pulling Pique out of the position and diving in near the halfway line like a madman, my defense is completely exposed. Busquets is in the opposition's half and absolutely gets on his bike to chase down Nunez. Once he realizes Lenglet picks him up, he covers the near post option. As he's doing this, Dest covers the trailing run near the penalty marker. You can also see Pique make his way into the box towards the end. Job well done! This is with marking set to 55.

De Jong:

Poorly annotated, but shows midfield marking and tracking from De Jong. Basic stuff, but we all how football games tend to struggle with that.

Is it still a bit open at times? Yes, but to not the extent of my PC/PS4 bouts which were God damn slug fests. Yes, you can occasionally slip through the wings with ease, but it's not attack after attack. None of my matches have ended with some kind of ludicrous, 6-3 scoreline like I've seen in last-gen. I also find that they recover quite well even if you've gained a yard or two of space. Not to the point of feeling like a "catch up bug", but the type of effort you'd expect from a professional footballer. It's not so cut and dry when you go barreling down the wings. I'm also playing a mix of manual and semi, so your mileage may vary in terms of how effective you are at punishing the opposition.

Could the AI and your teammates be more proactive? Of course. Again, it's not "perfect," but it seems like a noticeable improvement to me. There are a few occasions where I feel like my players should have been quicker to pick up a player, block a pass, and what have you, but nothing controller throwing inducing like the other versions.

Last edited:
Coming hot off the heels of the PS4 version, one of the main things that sticks out to me as improved is the issue of players going on walkabouts. We all know there's a lack of player tracking in FIFA 21 coupled with a sporadic indifference from the players that could only be described as slothful. Midfielders staring into space like they just took a massive bong hit while the opposition has free reign into your final third. It doesn't seem as prevalent on current-gen.

I'm Villa. Watch as Nakamba goes full geriatric and just walks towards the loose ball. Does he attempt to track back once Martial starts to peel away? Nope, still walking. I've played almost 10 hours of the PS5 version and I've yet to see anything that egregious in terms of players switching off. Nothing like that at all, whereas this was a common occurrence every single match on the PS4 version.

In terms of midfielders tracking back, I have a kick-off match going as I type this where I run around, dive in, sit back, etc. to invite counters/pressure to see how the AI copes. I've been trying to recreate such lethargic behavior as seen in the aforementioned video. My efforts have been fruitless thus far, but I'm trying.

Excuse the abysmal quality (1080p recording, uploaded to YT, downloaded, edited, reuploaded). I need to remember to set it to 4k!

This is a fantastic example. After pulling Pique out of the position and diving in near the halfway line like a madman, my defense is completely exposed. Busquets is in the opposition's half and absolutely gets on his bike to chase down Nunez. Once he realizes Lenglet picks him up, he covers the near post option. As he's doing this, Dest covers the trailing run near the penalty marker. Job well done! This is with marking set to 55.

De Jong:

Poorly annotated, but shows midfield marking and tracking from De Jong. Basic stuff, but we all how football games tend to struggle with that.

Is it still a bit open at times? Yes, but to not the extent of my PC/PS4 bouts which were God damn slug fests. Yes, you can occasionally slip through the wings with ease, but it's not attack after attack. None of my matches have ended with some kind of ludicrous, 6-3 scoreline like I've seen in last-gen. I also find that they recover quite well even if you've gained a yard or two of space. Not to the point of feeling like a "catch up bug", but the type of effort you'd expect from a professional footballer. It's not so cut and dry when you go barreling down the wings. I'm also playing a mix of manual and semi, so your mileage may vary in terms of how effective you are at punishing the opposition.

Could the AI and your teammates be more proactive? Of course. Again, it's not "perfect," but it seems like a noticeable improvement to me. There are a few occasions where I feel like my players should have been quicker to pick up a player, block a pass, and what have you, but nothing controller throwing inducing like the other versions.

This is great that you've gone to this trouble, hugely appreciated!

The only issue I saw was in first video, benfica two CM's were not tracking across and seem to have disengaged, just waiting for the next attack for their team.
I've noticed this on other videos...what seems to happen is they then activate when you take the ball infield...but while it's on the flank, they sort of wait in a counter-attacking position...

Generally your videos do support what I've seen only which is the cpu defensive AI does seem more switched on, if not perfect...

Thanks again.

In terms of midfielders tracking back, I have a kick-off match going as I type this where I run around, dive in, sit back, etc. to invite counters/pressure to see how the AI copes. I've been trying to recreate such lethargic behavior as seen in the aforementioned video. My efforts have been fruitless thus far, but I'm trying.

This is a fantastic example. After pulling Pique out of the position and diving in near the halfway line like a madman, my defense is completely exposed. Busquets is in the opposition's half and absolutely gets on his bike to chase down Nunez. Once he realizes Lenglet picks him up, he covers the near post option. As he's doing this, Dest covers the trailing run near the penalty marker. Job well done! This is with marking set to 55.

De Jong:

Thanks for posting these, they're really good examples and it definitely does appear to be an improvement from what is here. If they have worked on it, it confuses me as to why. I'm happy about it, I just don't understand it haha.

I never had the option to delete the digital PS4 version, it was simply overwritten by the PS5 version.
there is no „option“!
what console do you own? What version of the game? All digital might be different.
Please, Check you storage > games and apps. I would be surprised if there wasn’t 2 FIFA listed.

Back
Top Bottom