FIFA/EASFC and PES/eFootball: Contrast & Compare

I just had a quick look through some videos of FIFA on Youtube, and the variety of goals and shots is such a breath of fresh air after playing PES. Dipping and rising shots happening fully contextually, not because of scripted player traits like in PES... Swerving shots as well when hitting across the ball.

This kind of shot would never happen in PES 2020

ezgif-2-c01e28a0953a.gif

I'm not saying FIFA is a better game overall, I can't stand playing it due to the dreadful passing physics and ultra responsive/weightless feeling of the players, but the shooting variety is lightyears ahead...

That looks shit to me.
Keepers hand can reach that until the AI decides it cant last second and his arm stops moving.

That looks shit to me.
Keepers hand can reach that until the AI decides it cant last second and his arm stops moving.
And his trailing leg jerks/slides across the floor, how can you hit a ball like that of your sliding on one leg
Meh. There a LOT of games that the animations look off when watching them in slow motion, but they look great at full speed. PES has been littered with issues like this as well throughout the years (I remember for many versions back in the day that you'd watch a header in slow motion and find they don't actually touch the ball). Slow motion replays have really caused animators issues as games have developed!

Saying that though. Something is a little off for me in that clip. I can't put my finger on it exactly. But I suspect I would be fine with it during a game.

Meh. There a LOT of games that the animations look off when watching them in slow motion, but they look great at full speed. PES has been littered with issues like this as well throughout the years (I remember for many versions back in the day that you'd watch a header in slow motion and find they don't actually touch the ball). Slow motion replays have really caused animators issues as games have developed!

Saying that though. Something is a little off for me in that clip. I can't put my finger on it exactly. But I suspect I would be fine with it during a game.

I agree with everything you just said.

If we're going to go through every little move, in slow motion, rewind it, play it back, scrutinise it, put it under a microscope, analyse it and then label it as trash or unrealistic, we will never be happy. No football game will ever be realistic enough. There are some things one should be able to put up with and pretend they're not there, like it just didn't happen. Like when your girlfriend or wife cheats on you

I get that but peole are stating how good the real time ball physics are when they clearly are terrible. Don't mind me I've not even bought fifa 20 Ive still not got over buying fifa 19 yet 😂

I get that but peole are stating how good the real time ball physics are when they clearly are terrible. Don't mind me I've not even bought fifa 20 Ive still not got over buying fifa 19 yet 😂

But in that particular gif that we've been talking about, the ball physics look perfect to me!

I'm not saying the clip is perfect in terms of animations (FIFA animations often look awful and physics-defying, shooting instantly with the standing leg with no backlift etc.) and the biggest reason I can't stand FIFA is the horrible ball physics elsewhere on the pitch, so I'm certainly not lauding that aspect of the game in its entirety...

However, shooting is arguably the most important part of a football game and FIFA's shits all over PES from such a great height that it's always such a disappointment to press the :square: button in PES. Nearly always an anticlimax that ruins the satisfaction in the nice gameplay in the build up.

Both are shit for mostly different reasons, if the best parts of both could be combined then we'd be onto a winner...

PES's ball physics are spot on then are they? So every shot and pass is arrowed and straightlined with no deviation whatsoever? Sorry Pal I have to disagree. Not saying FIFA's are spot on because there is a degree of ping pong when it comes to passing the ball around but in PES.... Everything seems so straightlined and on rails. It has done for almost 2 decades now which was fine during the PS1 and PS2 days but come on.... We have moved on leaps and bounds since then and the game in places still feels old and like the engine is creaking at the seems.

Not trying to cause an argument or stoke a fire here just saying I don't agree that PES has superior ball physics to FIFA. Not by a long stretch.

PES's ball physics are spot on then are they? So every shot and pass is arrowed and straightlined with no deviation whatsoever? Sorry Pal I have to disagree. Not saying FIFA's are spot on because there is a degree of ping pong when it comes to passing the ball around but in PES.... Everything seems so straightlined and on rails. It has done for almost 2 decades now which was fine during the PS1 and PS2 days but come on.... We have moved on leaps and bounds since then and the game in places still feels old and like the engine is creaking at the seems.

Not trying to cause an argument or stoke a fire here just saying I don't agree that PES has superior ball physics to FIFA. Not by a long stretch.
Genuinely no Idea what your talking about with every shot arrowed and every pass straightlined. At the end of the day we see what we want, I've posted many videos showing variation but whatever play what you enjoy mate

11 million views for a video regarding, nothing! Just players talking about ratings. 11 fucking million people!

This is the monster that is FIFA! This is the power of propaganda FIFA has, especially in England/UK Western World!
Yeah, I can't understand it either. This is what kids just, well.. Do these days. They don't collect football stickers or Pokemon cards anymore. Social politics of the playground deem it important to gush about stats that arguably don't matter.
You are right bro.
Im in a mindset of if I get sick of one game I will throw in a retro one to tide me over.
Have not had to do this with PES 20 as of yet which is great!
So for me its a change to PES 13, 12, 6, and the gem that is PES 3.
This is the best thing about being open minded in regards to older games, especially football ones. Good games are good games forever, just with the small investment of adjusting to the controls & mechanics. Yet, That's what makes an old game feel new and exciting again, discovering how it plays & find a new appreciation for it. Like listening to a song you loved so much in the past for the first time in years with the wisdom you've accrued. It offers a while new perspective on something you was once so familiar with.

After seeing @MafiaMurderBag great videos in the retro thread i don’t really see too much wrong with that video.

I never played that version though but it looks like PS2 version with better graphics ;)
Well the was the challenge when I picked it for my series, I wanted to see if people's dismissal of the game was due to memories & hindmive and how people react to it after seeing it after all these years. I think in hindsight, The criticism of this game is pretty hyperbolic. It's not the best PES in the series but it's certainly not the worst either. It lacks a bit of polish feature wise & the ball physics are a bit primitive compare to 6 & '09 but it still functions as it should in your hands. It's classic PES in HD.

Maybe that was the problem, It WAS classic PES, and the fans needed something new. It had started to get stale. Too much of a good thing, becomes the same thing & people needed something new. That's when FIFA 08 revolutionised football gaming & the rest is history.

Genuinely no Idea what your talking about with every shot arrowed and every pass straightlined. At the end of the day we see what we want, I've posted many videos showing variation but whatever play what you enjoy mate
He’s spot on. If you can’t see that PES 2020 shooting is like a straight arrow every single time then you’re either refusing to see it or you actually are playing a different game to the rest of us.

I don’t mind a good debate. I enjoy reading other people’s criticism of a game and I also love reading people’s positive feedback (the master league thread is my favourite section of evo web for example)

But you’re refusing to see any of PES 2020’s flaws now and it’s getting a bit farcical. You won’t accept that there’s a lack of fouls because apparently you get 17 per match when the rest of us just get 1 or 2. You think the ball physics are better than FIFA’s and you’ve got not issue whatsoever with the shooting mechanics or predictability of PES’s action in front of goal. PES is still a stiff, simplistic arcade football game and has been for years. There’s far more depth gameplay wise in Fifa and there has been for years now. And I hate Fifa. I’m just balanced with my views.

I get it that you like the game and good for you. But you’re just defending it for the sake of it now. And you’ll criticise Fifa 20 and you haven’t even played it yet! At least we’ve bought and played both games to compare.

You enjoy a video game and that’s great but I find some of the stuff you come out with quite bizarre. It reminds me of that guy on Reddit who refuses ANY critique of PES and tells people they’re playing it wrong, the shooting is fine and that we don’t deserve such a masterpiece.

The thing is, there are MANY people with the same complaints about pes’s scripting and archaic shooting this year. We can’t ALL be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a quick look through some videos of FIFA on Youtube, and the variety of goals and shots is such a breath of fresh air after playing PES. Dipping and rising shots happening fully contextually, not because of scripted player traits like in PES... Swerving shots as well when hitting across the ball.

This kind of shot would never happen in PES 2020

ezgif-2-c01e28a0953a.gif

I'm not saying FIFA is a better game overall, I can't stand playing it due to the dreadful passing physics and ultra responsive/weightless feeling of the players, but the shooting variety is lightyears ahead...

Fifa movement looks really good in close up and slow mo.. :D That's the best thing left this year. Kidding.

He’s spot on. If you can’t see that PES 2020 shooting is like a straight arrow every single time then you’re either refusing to see it or you actually are playing a different game to the rest of us.

I don’t mind a good debate. I enjoy reading other people’s criticism of a game and I also love reading people’s positive feedback (the master league thread is my favourite section of evo web for example)

But you’re refusing to see any of PES 2020’s flaws now and it’s getting a bit farcical. You won’t accept that there’s a lack of fouls because apparently you get 17 per match when the rest of us just get 1 or 2. You think the ball physics are better than FIFA’s and you’ve got not issue whatsoever with the shooting mechanics or predictability of PES’s action in front of goal. PES is still a stiff, simplistic arcade football game and has been for years. There’s far more depth gameplay wise in Fifa and there has been for years now. And I hate Fifa. I’m just balanced with my views.

I get it that you like the game and good for you. But you’re just defending it for the sake of it now. And you’ll criticise Fifa 20 and you haven’t even played it yet! At least we’ve bought and played both games to compare.

You enjoy a video game and that’s great but I find some of the stuff you come out with quite bizarre. It reminds me of that guy on Reddit who refuses ANY critique of PES and tells people they’re playing it wrong, the shooting is fine and that we don’t deserve such a masterpiece.

The thing is, there are MANY people with the same complaints about pes’s scripting and archaic shooting this year. We can’t ALL be wrong.
Again whatever, if you read my postd on 18 and 19 I slated pes, that's why I've been still played pes 17 after leaving fifa after 16. Ive never stated pes was perfect and it does have faults, but I don't see or agree with. What your seeing or the other people. And it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Pes 20 is still imo the best football game we have and had. So I'll just carry on playing

Again whatever, if you read my postd on 18 and 19 I slated pes, that's why I've been still played pes 17 after leaving fifa after 16. Ive never stated pes was perfect and it does have faults, but I don't see or agree with. What your seeing or the other people. And it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Pes 20 is still imo the best football game we have and had. So I'll just carry on playing

And so you should. I don't think anyone begrudges you or others from getting such enjoyment from your chosen football game.

However, denying evidential facts does you no favours. The shooting in PES is totally inferior to FIFA - that's just how it is. The straight-line trajectories and limited range of shots vs their likely outcomes in PES is there for everyone to see. It cannot be denied; it's just there in front of your eyes as you play. On FIFA, there is a much greater feeling that anything can happen when you shoot. Balloon shots, scuffs, screamers, slices, ricochets, swerves, dips - you name it. In PES, almost every shot travels at the same speed and in a straight line. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

And so you should. I don't think anyone begrudges you or others from getting such enjoyment from your chosen football game.

However, denying evidential facts does you no favours. The shooting in PES is totally inferior to FIFA - that's just how it is. The straight-line trajectories and limited range of shots vs their likely outcomes in PES is there for everyone to see. It cannot be denied; it's just there in front of your eyes as you play. On FIFA, there is a much greater feeling that anything can happen when you shoot. Balloon shots, scuffs, screamers, slices, ricochets, swerves, dips - you name it. In PES, almost every shot travels at the same speed and in a straight line. If you can't see that then I don't know what to tell you.

ITS NOT "evidential facts", its an opinion.

Your post does You no favours.

Some of You seem to struggle terribly here with the fact other people have different views to Your own.

Why is his opinion an opinion and your's a fact. State your opinion, that's fine. But don't suggest it's any 'better' than his. I've seen scuffs, balloon shots, screamers and slices in PES. When this issue was first complained about, I even posted some videos literally showing the ball movement.
The follow up to that 'which was there for everyone to see' was that they didn't mean it's always in a straight line, but instead that they wanted to see the ball move MORE (like in the Fifa clip). Denying opinions and demanding evidence never ends well and perhaps you should accept different people might see different things.

PS. If you want to increase you chances of seeing this variation in ball movement in PES. Just choose crappy teams, as they are far more common with players who aren't as good in their technique. The better the player, the more consistent they are and of course this will lead to less variation (but not none).

I
I just signed up to EA access the other night, Downloaded Fifa 19 and played a number games. I cannot believe people think Fifa ball physics are better than PES ball physics its night and day PES seems light years ahead in the games that i had played . Fifa ball physicss remind me of PES 2008 in that it seems like your kicking a bowling ball around the pitch.

I feel like generally Fifa shooting system and shooting/keepers balance is better than Pes (at least in 19, won't touch 20 with a stick, sorry), but basing myself on the demo and most of all on the awful experience a lot of people I trust here are having with this current iteration, I'd still play Pes 20 in an heartbeat. Shooting isn't ideal like at all for my tastes, but you still see different things from different players and scoring is still quite challenging, to me given that I find it very good on other things it's enough to keep it going.

And I think PES 2020 is a far more enjoyable game than FIFA 20. FIFA is a weird mess from top to bottom this year.

I was just saying that I see far more variety in the shooting and ball physics of FIFA and have done for years. But I’d rather play PES every time because it flows better, is slower and is simply a more enjoyable experience.

I do think both games could be far better though - this won’t be remembered as the golden age of football gaming for me, not a chance.

Ball physics in FIFA:

For me, in terms of my opinion, it's very clear. FIFA's physics are totally organic. But also largely ridiculous. That the ball physics were a main selling point this year tells you how little of a fuck they give about reality - "improved" means "easier", improved for eSports, not necessarily more realistic.

PES's are categorically "fixed". I'm not saying this to be a prick, I promise - but I genuinely have laughed out loud at some of the ridiculous deflections, where a hard cross-field pass hits someone and ends up a *perfectly* delivered pass to feet to the opponent, it's so crude and so obvious that the code can't cope with a loose ball (even on manual there are situations where a ball is "magnetised" to someone). But in being "fixed", you never get moon physics. (But you get "cheats". Sometimes in your favour, often not.)

Which is better? Personal preference. Neither is factually better. I'm amazed more people can't accept that.

You see more unique goals in FIFA, sure (and I love that) - then a minute later there's a deflection and the ball spirals off like a malfunctioning helicopter.

You see very little variety in shots in PES (though some argue otherwise, I won't argue) - but as a consequence, the ball always behaves properly. So. What's best? Whichever you prefer.

Frankly, they're both shit options. In my opinion.

Last edited:
You see very little variety in shots in PES (though some argue otherwise, I won't argue) - but as a consequence, the ball always behaves properly. So. What's best? Whichever you prefer
The thing is - shooting is the only thing that fifa has, ball physics wise.
Cant deny that there is little variety in Pes. Spin is very rarely seen on any of them. Its high, low, mid, raising and dipping - but always straight. Yes, you can apply some spin with finesse shots, but it should be varied based on how, when and where the ball was hit. Even finesse shots look very... fixed.
This is the only thing tho.

When it comes to passing, headers, crosses and general ball movement on the pitch - fifa is borderline laughable at times.

Edit: I should add that as an overall picture - its inconsistent to bits. It almost looks like every bit of ball movements is designed by someone else. Bob works on shooting, Larry on passing, Jimmy on headers..
Passing is like a bowling ball, coz Larry loves bowling. Jimmy is a big fan of Marvel, so headers are like missiles. Bob loves football, so shooting is spot on.

Last edited:
Ball physics in FIFA:

For me, in terms of my opinion, it's very clear. FIFA's physics are totally organic. But also largely ridiculous. That the ball physics were a main selling point this year tells you how little of a fuck they give about reality - "improved" means "easier", improved for eSports, not necessarily more realistic.

PES's are categorically "fixed". I'm not saying this to be a prick, I promise - but I genuinely have laughed out loud at some of the ridiculous deflections, where a hard cross-field pass hits someone and ends up a *perfectly* delivered pass to feet to the opponent, it's so crude and so obvious that the code can't cope with a loose ball (even on manual there are situations where a ball is "magnetised" to someone). But in being "fixed", you never get moon physics. (But you get "cheats". Sometimes in your favour, often not.)

Which is better? Personal preference. Neither is factually better. I'm amazed more people can't accept that.

You see more unique goals in FIFA, sure (and I love that) - then a minute later there's a deflection and the ball spirals off like a malfunctioning helicopter.

You see very little variety in shots in PES (though some argue otherwise, I won't argue) - but as a consequence, the ball always behaves properly. So. What's best? Whichever you prefer.

This sums it up for me. Freedom and actual physics calculations where everything feels nothing like football.
Or a kind of facsimile of football where somebody had literally pasted a hundred different ways a football behaves in a match onto the game engine.

So yeah, looks and feels nice. But it very quickly reveals itself to be a con job.

I'm not sure there is even one element of actual physics in pes. I think everything we're seeing is an animation. Pre-calculated.
Case in point. Playing as Genoa, my letter winger takes a heavy touch...a millisecond AFTER peter Drury says hes taken a heavy touch. The game knew it was going to happen.

It feels like some shots are more connected to the goalkeeper than the player I shot with. They way my longer range shot goes at goal...and the keeper is already in midair on the perfect diving trajectory and then meets the ball at its apex as if it was all decided the moment I pressed shoot...

I think this far and away the best pes since pes 5 (maybe pes 2008 and pes 2010 on ps2). But the game is starting to give me that feeling...the feeling of stale ness. Part of this is me playing version 1.4, I think 1.00 will keep me.going a little longer. But mainly it's the fact there is so little actual physics and bio-mechanic technology in this game that the patterns begin to reveal themselves. Thankfully, konami have rediscovered how to programme teammate AI so the freshness of attack
king patterns is almost at pes 3 and 5 levels.
But then you get into the box...and the shot, the actual goal, rather than being the peak event of the move, the moment of release and ecstasy instead becomes a moment of calm far too often.

The goal I want to score is like the one in that fifa clip. A shot that fades away and does something unexpected. I cannot remember ever happening in any pes since ps3...

(I keep lamenting the way EA ruined fifa 19. After the second patch it still felt heavy and the game was so unpredictable, every moment felt fresh. Then it became light and floaty and there was no feeling in playing, even with the great shot physics).

I disagree! Please don’t make me go create a video! Just trust me. :)
Some shots do curl (even more with finesse shooting), dip and rise! Could it be better? Yes.

Ball physics in FIFA:

No way is that a true video of Fifa. It has either been modded or hacked in some way. I have poured hundreds and hundreds of hours into Fifa 16 right through to 19 and never seen anything even close to that. But OK, go ahead and find the most extreme example of a broken video clip to try and paint the other game in a better light. It says much more about PES than it does FIFA.

Mate, this vid is all we've been talking about today, look up. :LOL:

No way is that a true video of Fifa. It has either been modded or hacked in some way. I have poured hundreds and hundreds of hours into Fifa 16 right through to 19 and never seen anything even close to that. But OK, go ahead and find the most extreme example of a broken video clip to try and paint the other game in a better light. It says much more about PES than it does FIFA.
It's unmodded FIFA, mate. There are hundreds of videos of similar glitches and, believe me, it's happened to me. Of the two games, I prefer FIFA, because of the range of possibilities and overall freedom - but FIFA does things like this out of nowhere, and similar has happened to me. I promise you.

Damn you guys.. I was watching Roma Napoli this afternoon paying only attention to the trajectories of the important shootings and finding myself thinking, "wow, all direct shoots, can't see much swerve here, feels a lot like Pes 2020" :LOL:

The other day I watched the highlights of the carabaro cup night and I thought that close to the half of the goals looked like PES scripted goals. :) They were one were the ball was deflected right to the foot of the attacker (was it the head?) for an easy tap in.

Also a goal scored by Chamberlain to Alisson looked almost like the fifa gif posted few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom