Gears of War

I'm not a big fan of Halo 1 or 2 (not looking forward to Halo 3 either tbh) but I'm definitely looking forward to this.

It's a short game and it looks fun - I get the feeling it'll be one of those games where I'll enjoy having to complete again and again. The last time I felt like that was with Metal Gear Solid on the PS1.

im glad its not just me then then think its pretty shit

another things about the chainsaw kills, once u have done it twice its boring because its the same every single time

Thanks to kamy100 for recommending Shopto.net - my copy arrived this morning! :)

Well I was prepared to be disappointed after reading what you guys have said, but I'm really not! I think it's excellent! Yeah, it's got aliens, yeah, it's not exactly "innovative"; but the things it does, it does really well. The "ducking" part is actually really, really well implemented. You don't have to remember a load of button-presses; it does what it says. And if you pull away from the wall when you're in a menu, you move away from the wall rather than finding yourself stuck in a menu when you need to move.

It adds a new dimension to the game that other shooters don't have, or at least don't do anywhere near as well. And in this game, you need those hiding places, so if it was fiddly to control, you'd be shot to ribbons in seconds. But it's implemented perfectly, as is every other gameplay aspect.

The graphics are excellent, the game dynamics are superb; the gameplay beats Halo into a cocked hat and pisses on it from a great height, in my humble opinion! It's very, very simple to get into (I hate having to remember 32 button combinations), but it's very hard to win at the same time. You really, actually DO have to strategise to win, rather than just run around and shoot (saying that, it looks like a lot of people do).

It might be short, though, and I suppose if you play it online non-stop then it's going to get repetitive. As shooters go though, I'm really, really impressed. I was playing Battlefield 2142 regularly for the last few weeks, and honestly, I think it'll be pushed to one side for a while now (although maybe the BF2142 online campaign will be less repetitive than GOW's - I haven't got stuck into it yet).

Very pleased! Definitely the best 360 game I've played so far, although with it not being a sports title I'll probably not play it as often as e.g. FIFA 07 and Tiger Woods 07. The game is nothing new, and who knows it may get boring in a short period of time, but it does everything it has flawlessly and does everything how every other shooter should do it, from what I can see.

Last edited:
Heh I'm gonna pick my copy up this afternoon, well.. after I negotiate a withdrawal from the bank of girlfriend. Its gonna be one of those games that polarise folk, halo had its fair share of haters too. It good arcade fun :D

Yeah there are too many cynics on this forum - certain members (no names) seem to think EVERY game is shit. Just watched the video review on Gamespot (9.6%) and they reckon it's the best game on the 360 so far - it does look stunning and FUN (remember that word?). I played COD3 yesterday and think it's brilliant but will buy GOW instead as I already have COD2. Can't wait!

(BTW, nice review Jack, sums up the game nicely mate.)

I love the online mode. I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea to have just one life per round - this is something I've always wanted to see in PC FPS games. If I die in Battlefield, that should be it, as far as I'm concerned.

It means you have to act as a team, and it takes getting used to, but it's bloody brilliant.

Can you explain briefly to me Jack, why is this game so highly rated. Obviously apart from the graphics. What are tche online modes?

Briefly, it's because everything is done properly. In most FPS's you'll find a few great features and a few absolutely crap ones. This does everything right. I wouldn't call it innovative, but put it like this; if you give this game a few hours and then play Battlefield 2142, it feels like it's years old. You want to crouch behind walls and shoot your gun over the top to throw off people's guard, swing over to another piece of cover to get a better shot...

When you play online you have to play as a team, or you're screwed. No playing Mr Renegade here. If you die, you're gone, you don't come back until the next round, you don't get any points and there's only two of your team left. Three against two is obviously an advantage and so you have to work twice as hard, meaning you have to put effort in every time you play it. You can't just go around shooting like an idiot. You've got to try and stay alive, and no other shooter game I've played has made me feel so panicked about dying. You know you're letting the team down hugely if you do.

And that's another cool thing; you don't just "die". If you get shot, you start to bleed. Your team-mates can help you recover back to full health, or you can bleed to death (aka "bleed out"). For a game with such a ludicrous storyline, enemies, weapons etc., the realistic feel of the game, the depth to the gameplay, is fantastic. The game is so simple to get into and yet so hard. And scary; but not for the usual reasons (i.e. hideous aliens popping out from nowhere). Scary because you really, really don't want to die.

I've never been a fan of these kinds of games, I'll buy all the Tom Clancys but none of your Quakes - but the depth to the game truly makes it next-gen. It's just (from my point of view) a shame when this fantastic engine could have been put into even better use in a game with a more realistic setting.

(Yep, that's "brief" for me)

The three game modes are:

Warzone A human fire team is pitted against a Locust fire team. The goal is eliminating all members of the other team.

Assassination Each team has a leader. The goal is to kill the leader of the opposing team. Players who kill the opposing leader become leader of their team for the next round. The highest scoring player on the losing team becomes that team's new leader. Only a team leader can pick up "big guns" like the longshot or torque bow. Once picked up, however, they can be dropped for team members (if they should be so kind).

Execution This game type is similar to Warzone, but instead of dying after you have been knocked down and bleed out, you come back to life (traditional online FPS style). The only way to kill an opposing team member is to deliver a close-range special kill.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I guess its one of those games you have to play to really see what all the fuss is about. I wish there was a demo.

With the massive amount of hype around it you'd think a demo would be just around the corner, surely.

Seriously though, it feels so strange going from five or six options when crouching behind an object and flying out over the top to shoot someone in the face in GOW, to pressing "crouch" behind a wall on Battlefield and-that's-it. :D

Not noticed them holding their arm to be honest, but I've noticed that if you shoot someone in the legs they sometimes fall onto their knees and have to get back up. I've also seen a guy with the half-gun-half-chainsaw thing who was shot in the arm and then had to restart the chainsaw blade.

Headshots are one-shot-and-you're-dead-no-excuses as well, which is good. I've seen a guy get knifed in the head in BF 2142, turn around and shoot the other guy in the chest.

Really given this game a good go on Live tonight, and I adore it. I hope it doesn't wear off.

The online just feels so fresh and original and like Jack mentioned, teamplay is essential and you feel gutted if you go down. And if a teammate goes down, the first thought into your head is, ¨Shit, I've gotta get over there and revive him.¨ No other online game I've played has given me that feeling.

Love it!

This is £34.99 at PCWorld, you can reserve it on their website and collect@Store. And PES6 is £29.99!!! :angry:

This game is fucking awesome - bought the version that comes in the tin yesterday for £39.99. Sweet game.

Saw it today in mediamarkt for 44euro's. Didnt get it though as i dont have the time atm to play games, have hardly touched fifa in 2 weeks now as uni is so busy :( Looks oke, but think ill go for fear instead for xmas

I love the online mode. I think it is an absolutely brilliant idea to have just one life per round - this is something I've always wanted to see in PC FPS games. If I die in Battlefield, that should be it, as far as I'm concerned.

It means you have to act as a team, and it takes getting used to, but it's bloody brilliant.

You should try Americas Army for PC, if you die you have to wait. The Bridge Crossing level is cool, so simple but very fun. And its free http://www.americasarmy.com/

Don't forget with the online modes is the fact that you can play the full single player campaign in co-op. You can start off and your mate can drop in later on fight for a bit then go.

I still haven't played it yet but was too tempted at Blockbuster selling it for £34.99.

Man..even my sister was asking me about it(!)... Microsoft really invested in the marketing for this - anyone think it has taken a lil bit of the shine from the PS3?

Balls to the PS3! This game is the beginning of a fruitful relationship for 360 owners!

:applause:

Back
Top Bottom