NBA 2K General Thread

Hi, one questiĆ³n... In my second season, the time possesion is not 24 anymore..... is 45 is that possible??? or I am getting some problem?

Don't know if it is nostalgia-googles or not, and i honestly try very hard to get rid off them, i even after playing 2019 & 2020, but my favourite NBA 2Ks are 2011 and 2014 for PC. 2014 has also my favourite soundtrack.

Watching those 2 videos over and over again. Top games, top tracks!!!

Last edited:
Don't know if it is nostalgia-googles or not, and i honestly try very hard to get rid off them, i even after playing 2019 & 2020, but my favourite NBA 2Ks are 2011 and 2014 for PC. 2014 has also my favourite soundtrack.

2k14 still looks very very good,even compared to NBA 19/20 on PS4/XB1.
The only reason I'm not playing it more is the option not being able to sim in and out of games when playing mygm/myleague.
Bought 11 this week,and I can really recommend 12 as well,the challenges (playing as a certain player ) is very cool,if you play as a 60s player it's grainy black and white,or shitty 80s colour.

Can't recommend 16 enough,best gameplay of them all,first time I'm struggling to win.
AI is superb and very life like

I admit, when you like that kind of music, itā€™s easier to fall in love with the trailers, but they rock!! :ROCK:

Reminded me of the FIFA16 trailer!! Gameplay seemed first!!

I used to be a huge NBA fan, but I think the stylistic changes in the rules and high scoring games turn me off a bit now..

I'm a fan of the more physical, 90's style of bball.. Last 2k game I played was 2k14 with a legendary teams patch.. Great game.. 96 Bulls! :RSCARF:

Great minds think alike., haha.:APPLAUD:Loved 2k11 with the Bulls (Rose, Brewer, Deng, Boozer, Noah), last team which I actually actively rooted for. And 2k14 was the basketball game I played the most. Something happened from 2k15 on, something about the game mechanics and the actual league, the magic for me was gone from this franchise. But I LOVED those two games. :BSCARF: šŸ€šŸ—‘ļø:D

Great minds think alike., haha.:APPLAUD:Loved 2k11 with the Bulls (Rose, Brewer, Deng, Boozer, Noah), last team which I actually actively rooted for. And 2k14 was the basketball game I played the most. Something happened from 2k15 on, something about the game mechanics and the actual league, the magic for me was gone from this franchise. But I LOVED those two games. :BSCARF: šŸ€šŸ—‘ļø:D
Still play 2k14 a lot,but it's very stripped down Vs 16 and fw,but it's still a fantastic game.
Actually signed Rose and Deng on my Orlando Magic Myleague on 2k20,I'm on my third season.

You can still play classic teams on modern games if you want to,and though older games are great,newer ones (if you set them up properly with sliders) are IMO better,loads of stuff/movement etc has improved massively.

Indeed. 2k11 seems like the PES 5 of NBA 2k's, imho at least, meaning old graphics and less gameplay mechanics, but aged pretty well. :D. PLUS i love the jump-stop function with the Y button (xbox controller), i think it is named Euro-step or Euro-hop in USA and in game.

2k14 is the last IIRC that does have Euroleague teams, although only in exhibition and custom knockout tournament. I know that in PC there are tons of mods and patches about european basketball, but since PES has drained all my energy and i am too old for this shift. So i play vanilla Euroleague teams, mostly Panathinaikos VS Olympiakos, Barcelona, CSKA, Macabi, etc.. :)

Indeed. 2k11 seems like the PES 5 of NBA 2k's, imho at least, meaning old graphics and less gameplay mechanics, but aged pretty well. :D. PLUS i love the jump-stop function with the Y button (xbox controller), i think it is named Euro-step or Euro-hop in USA and in game.

2k14 is the last IIRC that does have Euroleague teams, although only in exhibition and custom knockout tournament. I know that in PC there are tons of mods and patches about european basketball, but since PES has drained all my energy and i am too old for this shift. So i play vanilla Euroleague teams, mostly Panathinaikos VS Olympiakos, Barcelona, CSKA, Macabi, etc.. :)
I wholeheartedly agree that 2k11 blew everyone away. I guess the Jordan challenges were also one of the huge reasons. I just couldn't stop playing... If I'm gonna rate all sports games I've ever played in a criteria in which I just wanted to play it non-stop, this game stands out on top, for sure. 2k12 was pretty awesome too, since it re-introduced the challenges, but with several star players from the past.

2k14 was awesome because it had the best mods ever done for a basketball game, namely Ultimate Base Roster.

Then 2k15 came around, and I guess as all sports game "curses" go, it placed style over substance (meaning graphics became more important than gameplay) and to make matters worse, it also introduced stuff like Virtual Currency (microtransactions and pay-to-win practices). That's when NBA 2k officially died (for me, at least). Plus, having no competition of other developers in regards to basketball games, it kinda made 2k "arrogant" somehow, I believe.

Little off-topic, I just wished 2k would get the license to do NHL games again, and compete with EA, since EA's NHL series (as much as any sports game EA does) are abysmal.

Completely agree with everything you said about 2K14. That game was awesome. I grew up in the 90's watching the NBA so I loved the classic teams, won a championship with the 96 Bulls, with the 93 Suns, and got to the Conference Finals with Hakeem's Rockets. 2k14 was a blast.

2K15 was DEFINITELY style over substance, flash over feel. Everything, from the presentation, to the soundtrack, to the gameplay, everything seemed to shout "cool and modern" but it was nowhere near the fun 2k11-2k14 were. I absolutely loved the old school feel. Also, the actual NBA got a lot worse during those years, so I just stopped playing/watching.

And that's when PES came into the picture and I haven't looked back. :BSCARF:

Completely agree with everything you said about 2K14. That game was awesome. I grew up in the 90's watching the NBA so I loved the classic teams, won a championship with the 96 Bulls, with the 93 Suns, and got to the Conference Finals with Hakeem's Rockets. 2k14 was a blast.

2K15 was DEFINITELY style over substance, flash over feel. Everything, from the presentation, to the soundtrack, to the gameplay, everything seemed to shout "cool and modern" but it was nowhere near the fun 2k11-2k14 were. I absolutely loved the old school feel. Also, the actual NBA got a lot worse during those years, so I just stopped playing/watching.

And that's when PES came into the picture and I haven't looked back. :BSCARF:
Modded 2k14 and ofc 2k11 were great but they had other issues. Off-ball movement in offense wasn't that good, we didn't have freelance offense and the plays were quite limited. Also mid range game wasn't the best, had to use many sliders to bring down Pip for cpu and backdoor cuts were overpowered.
I think 2k20 with real% shooting and with some tweaked sliders is the best NBA2k. 2k21 has some problems with P&R mechanics and double teams this is why I'm still on 2k20.

Modded 2k14 and ofc 2k11 were great but they had other issues. Off-ball movement in offense wasn't that good, we didn't have freelance offense and the plays were quite limited. Also mid range game wasn't the best, had to use many sliders to bring down Pip for cpu and backdoor cuts were overpowered.
I think 2k20 with real% shooting and with some tweaked sliders is the best NBA2k. 2k21 has some problems with P&R mechanics and double teams this is why I'm still on 2k20.
I completely agree I today played one game each on NBA 2k14, 2k16 and 2k20 and 2k16 was a noticeable improvement game-play wise over 2k14, just like 2k20 over 2k16.
2k14 was a great game in 2013, but saying that it is superior to later games game-play wise or that later games are only about style and graphics is just plain wrong!

Still think 14 is a great game,I see stuff like hard fouls,illegal screens more often than on modern games.
But I agree and enjoy 2k20+21 much more.
Playing myleague ,with sliders (an insane amount of sliders) and being able to use player lock,which you couldn't do before 2k16 (position lock yes but not the same) means I can play 4x12 games with realistic scorelines and stats.
Modern 2k games are far superior Vs 11-12-13,I even played my 11+12 the other day and it feels very old,good then but not today Vs modern games.
Except 14 of course,if that game had the options games of now (player lock/myleague etc) has, I'd play that exclusively.
But old Vs new,new all the way for me.

I was just thinking about having to give one of these ago so that's handy. The last basketball game I played was on I think the sega megadrive! Can't think what it was called now, some long name and had the Celtics as one of the cover teams I think. Trouble is it's really not a sport I have any real interest in or watch but I did enjoy playing that particular game so thanks to @bsmaff 's timely news I'm going to give it a go. Although it does depend on the pc specs.

Regarding earlier versions are there any recommended PS2 era one's that I could try on the emulator?

I was just thinking about having to give one of these ago so that's handy. The last basketball game I played was on I think the sega megadrive! Can't think what it was called now, some long name and had the Celtics as one of the cover teams I think. Trouble is it's really not a sport I have any real interest in or watch but I did enjoy playing that particular game so thanks to @bsmaff 's timely news I'm going to give it a go. Although it does depend on the pc specs.

Regarding earlier versions are there any recommended PS2 era one's that I could try on the emulator?
Not sure about PS2 versions, as i think it is the PS3/Xbox360 era that made the 2k series skyrocket.

I mean some games i have tried are still decent, but all seem too "similar" quality level. Talking about NBA Live, NBA 2K and the SONY San Diego "NBA" (The Inside) series. You can also try the PSP versions of 2K and Inside, if you play with gamepad.

Basically the 2k for PSP first came in 2010, but i assume is a legacy version of PS2-gen NBA 2ks.

Last edited:
For those that are interested with the future (as opposed the old school), do you know if @shuajota has release his 2021 draft class?

The same problem as PES, I was waiting for him to release the draft class 2021 before starting myLeague/myGM but then I've lost interest now LOL
I've even assigned each and every single player their kicks to the best of my knowledge(via GettyImages), that's how bored I am.

The same concern I have with PES, I love modding/editing and waiting until I can get most real faces into the game before starting ML.
But I may never kick start that ML button ... kinda stupid if you think about it, buying the game just to mod haha.

Is anyone like me?

For those that are interested with the future (as opposed the old school), do you know if @shuajota has release his 2021 draft class?

The same problem as PES, I was waiting for him to release the draft class 2021 before starting myLeague/myGM but then I've lost interest now LOL
I've even assigned each and every single player their kicks to the best of my knowledge(via GettyImages), that's how bored I am.

The same concern I have with PES, I love modding/editing and waiting until I can get most real faces into the game before starting ML.
But I may never kick start that ML button ... kinda stupid if you think about it, buying the game just to mod haha.

Is anyone like me?
I'm not so obsessed about draft classes but I'm a stats junkie when it comes to NBA2k. I always want realistic stats in every category and this is why before I start Myleague I test expansively the sliders. I run 2 Myleague saves, one normal and one player lock with unique ID. The latter means using a hybrid of cpu vs cpu sliders which is not easy to achieve.

To celebrate the release of 2k22 I bought 21 today ,I've had it in game pass since December I think ,and it was removed this month.
The good thing with last year's game is that all the bugs are ironed out ,plus all the rosters are up to date (and tendencies/stats are accurate for every player)

I'm going to put myself in the draft class ,SIM last season and see which team drafts me for this season and play out a career on Myleague.
So much fun

Back
Top Bottom