NBA 2K9 - PS3/360/PC

Portland Trailblazers are good, solid team, their young too.

I've started again and gone with Magic, they seemed to have decent stats without being too amazing. It doesn't help when you have no idea who anyone is though, the stats come up at the end and I'm like "oh man he got the most points, why didn't I just shoot with him", but during the game I just pass and shoot without noticing who anyone is...

I wish I could put a red star on the best guy's head or something...

Rashard Lewis, Mickael Pietrus and JJ Reddick (off the bench) are good shooters, Mid range and 3PT.

Hedu Turkoglu is a good ball handler, also you should look for Dwight Howard in the post to dominate under the basket (rebounds, easy/power dunks etc).

For now just play inside out, tell Howard to post up and take the easy lay up etc or kick it out to one of your shooters. That should get you on the right path, the Magic shoot a lot of 3's.

When Superman (Howard) is on the bench you'll have to open things up a bit because Marcin Gortat isn't as good offensively. He is a decent defender though. Use pick and roll too.

Tobi I could not understand a single word of that. The basketball jargon went over my head. I think us Europeans need a copy of 'Basketball for Dummies' included as a pre-order bonus for NBA 2K10!

Rashard Lewis, Mickael Pietrus and JJ Reddick (off the bench) are good shooters, Mid range and 3PT.

Hedu Turkoglu is a good ball handler, also you should look for Dwight Howard in the post to dominate under the basket (rebounds, easy/power dunks etc).

For now just play inside out, tell Howard to post up and take the easy lay up etc or kick it out to one of your shooters. That should get you on the right path, the Magic shoot a lot of 3's.

When Superman (Howard) is on the bench you'll have to open things up a bit because Marcin Gortat isn't as good offensively. He is a decent defender though. Use pick and roll too.
All of that is another language to me. You've got to realise I only ever played basketball at school where the most technical phraseology was "throw the ball in the hoop". :(

What's playing "inside out"? How do I tell Howard to post up (and what is post up)? What's pick and roll?

1 - Rashard Lewis, Mickael Pietrus and JJ Reddick (off the bench) are good shooters, Mid range and 3PT.
2 - Hedu Turkoglu is a good ball handler, also you should look for Dwight Howard in the post to dominate under the basket (rebounds, easy/power dunks etc).
3 - For now just play inside out, tell Howard to post up and take the easy lay up etc or kick it out to one of your shooters. That should get you on the right path, the Magic shoot a lot of 3's.
4 - When Superman (Howard) is on the bench you'll have to open things up a bit because Marcin Gortat isn't as good offensively. He is a decent defender though. Use pick and roll too.

1 - These players are spot up shooters, effectively all they do is shoot (kind of), get them in good positions and they'll score. You should also pay attention to the cell phone bars under each player, when its full it means that the player can shoot from this range. Whenever you in a position on the court that they can't shoot from the battery will start to die per se.

2 - Hedu can run plays like a Point Guard even though he is a Small Forward, he can pass the ball well and can score too.

3 - When I say inside out I mean that you should always look for your big man (the Center - Howard...target man) when running plays. By doing this the Center is effectively holding up the ball and looking to pass to other players who are open or taking the shot himself.

Orlando shoot a lot of 3PT shots in real life.

4 - Gortat isn't as good as Howard is offensively so you can't depend on him in that sense.

Pick and Rolls can be very effective, the player (eg the PG) with the ball calls a player (eg Power Forward or Center) to set a screen for him. When the PF has done this, the PG then has some options,

- He can roll to the basket and attempt a lay up.
- He can roll to the basket and then suddenly pull up (stop) and then take a mid range or 3PT shot.
- He can begin to roll to the basket and look to pass the ball the PF who at this point is making his way back to the basket.

Is that better?

PS: There are more sliders that need to be tweaked, its the coaches sliders, it determines how often the CPU teams run plays etc. Its not important right now though.

I understand a lot of that now, in-fact that's the most I've learnt so far - I had no idea that the bars underneath the player were to do with his shot range! I thought it was to do with his stamina!

How do I get a player to set a screen, is that using the dual player controls? I haven't got to grips with that yet.

You'll have to tell me about the coach sliders as well, I'd love the game to be as realistic as possible.

Playing with those slider settings now and the game is even more enjoyable, brilliant. Thank you! :D

I've started again and gone with Magic, they seemed to have decent stats without being too amazing. It doesn't help when you have no idea who anyone is though, the stats come up at the end and I'm like "oh man he got the most points, why didn't I just shoot with him", but during the game I just pass and shoot without noticing who anyone is...

I wish I could put a red star on the best guy's head or something...
Thats the team i was with in season mode.

No problem.

When you press UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT on the dpad it brings up different tactical options, can't remember right now which is which.

- One shows the coach options - how fast you want your teams tempo to be etc.
- One brings up a list of plays that you can run.
- One shows you the stamina levels on the players on the court, you can also make substitutions on the fly too.
- When you on offense, press UP and it will show you how many points each player on the court currently has.
- When your on defense, press UP (I think) and it will show you the current match ups, who is marking who. This too can be changed on the fly.
- When you on defense, press LEFT and you can pick a defensive play to run. Let the CPU take care of this, it usually defaults to man to man.

I use controller setting B (or the one with the dribble moves on the right analogue stick), on the PS3 I press :circle: to call a pick and roll. You can use the off the ball controls to do this too, you can select the player that you want to set the screen for you.

I play with the Phoenix Suns most of the time and Steve Nash is our PG so I whenever I'm on offense pretty much everything goes through him. If your PG has the ball and you press :circle: (whatever the 360 equivalent is) usually the PF or Center will be the one to set screen. Depends which of the two is closer to you when you press the button.

I'll get the coach sliders for you after the Russia game this afternoon. Its a bit of a chore, you have to manually go through each team and change the sliders but its worth it.

Tobi knows what he's talking about, really. I second eveything he has said. He's doing a great job of explainig to you all that you guys didn't read in the manual. ;)

Just kidding!

It's a deep game and many gamers get fustrated with it. It's overwhelming all the things you have to control. And one of the few games where the PACE at which you do things is critical. There are teams designed to run and teams designed to battle.

Do the right thing with your team. Don't go running against the blazers, don't try to battle the likes of Howard or Yao. Always think about how you're playing.

If you start to loose ground and miss some shoots and your team start to fall int pieces, call a time out! It's more important than it seems. It's vital to break your opponent streaks. If you can't stop his star, change the defender or the way you defend him!

This game can be that good. That's why you would have seen so many posts in the fifa thread asking for "sliders as in 2k9", now you get it!

Portland Trailblazers are good, solid team, their young too.
My favourite team to use. Lots of depth and almost the WHOLE team can shoot, even Oden is decent at mid range not to mention Aldridge.

Can't wait to try out the Raptors in 2k10. Lots of promising moves made by Colangelo. DeRozan and Belinelli look like they have loads of potential, and of course Turkoglu. Hopefully I'll have some good basketball to watch this year in Toronto.

Last edited:
I really wish I was a basketball fan and could enjoy this game, I don't own it but i'd love to play a very realistic simulation of a sport I like... All the sports I like have terrible, arcadey games in comparison and will probably never get one of the quality of NBA 2K9.

Play the demo and just go with the flow.

I got these Coach Profiles from either OS or the official 2K forums.

Code:
[B]76ers[/B]

Offensive Tempo – 20
Defensive Pressure – 55
Help Defense – 40
Fast Break – 80
Crash Boards – 60
Run Plays – 60
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 45
Mid Range Shots – 50
3PT Shots – 20
Attack the basket – 45

[B]Blazers[/B]

Offensive Tempo – 20
Defensive Pressure – 35
Help Defense – 70
Fast Break – 20
Crash Boards – 60
Run Plays – 70
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 50
Attack the basket – 15

[B]Bobcats[/B]

Offensive Tempo – 15
Defensive Pressure – 65
Help Defense – 70
Fast Break – 45
Crash Boards – 45
Run Plays – 80
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 50
3PT Shots – 35
Attack the basket – 40

[B]Bucks[/B]

Offensive Tempo – 50
Defensive Pressure – 70
Help Defense – 60
Fast Break – 45
Crash Boards – 50
Run Plays – 80
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 30
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 55
Attack the basket – 25

[B]Bulls
[/B]
Offensive Tempo – 50
Defensive Pressure – 75
Help Defense – 60
Fast Break – 50
Crash Boards – 80
Run Plays – 60
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 20
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 55
Attack the basket – 15

Cavaliers

Offensive Tempo – 35
Defensive Pressure – 75
Help Defense – 60
Fast Break – 45
Crash Boards – 85
Run Plays – 20
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 40
3PT Shots – 50
Attack the basket – 40

Celtics

Offensive Tempo – 15
Defensive Pressure – 95
Help Defense – 100
Fast Break – 40
Crash Boards – 50
Run Plays – 60
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 25
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 45
Attack the basket – 45

Clippers

Offensive Tempo – 40
Defensive Pressure – 55
Help Defense – 45
Fast Break – 50
Crash Boards – 75
Run Plays – 50
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 35
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 30
Attack the basket – 35

Grizzlies

Offensive Tempo – 55
Defensive Pressure – 25
Help Defense – 10
Fast Break – 70
Crash Boards – 35
Run Plays – 40
Zone Usage – 15
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 75
3PT Shots – 60
Attack the basket – 35

Hawks

Offensive Tempo – 25
Defensive Pressure – 60
Help Defense – 55
Fast Break – 70
Crash Boards – 50
Run Plays – 30
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 80
3PT Shots – 30
Attack the basket – 35

Heat

Offensive Tempo – 45
Defensive Pressure – 45
Help Defense – 35
Fast Break – 50
Crash Boards – 45
Run Plays – 50
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 35
Attack the basket – 45

Hornets

Offensive Tempo – 50
Defensive Pressure – 60
Help Defense – 50
Fast Break – 60
Crash Boards – 55
Run Plays – 60
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 60
3PT Shots – 45
Attack the basket – 45

Jazz

Offensive Tempo – 55
Defensive Pressure – 65
Help Defense – 40
Fast Break – 55
Crash Boards – 90
Run Plays – 80
Zone Usage – 0
Take Close Shots – 35
Mid Range Shots – 75
3PT Shots – 50
Attack the basket – 45

Kings

Offensive Tempo – 50
Defensive Pressure – 30
Help Defense – 30
Fast Break – 60
Crash Boards – 30
Run Plays – 30
Zone Usage – 20
Take Close Shots – 30
Mid Range Shots – 65
3PT Shots – 45
Attack the basket – 35

Knicks

Offensive Tempo – 80
Defensive Pressure – 30
Help Defense – 50
Fast Break – 65
Crash Boards – 60
Run Plays – 20
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 30
Mid Range Shots – 40
3PT Shots – 95
Attack the basket – 10

Lakers

Offensive Tempo – 60
Defensive Pressure – 40
Help Defense – 70
Fast Break – 65
Crash Boards – 35
Run Plays – 55
Zone Usage – 0
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 65
Attack the basket – 45

Magic

Offensive Tempo – 40
Defensive Pressure – 75
Help Defense – 60
Fast Break – 40
Crash Boards – 40
Run Plays – 40
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 40
Mid Range Shots – 40
3PT Shots – 90
Attack the basket – 30

Mavericks

Offensive Tempo – 40
Defensive Pressure – 70
Help Defense – 70
Fast Break – 65
Crash Boards – 60
Run Plays – 45
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 30
Mid Range Shots – 55
3PT Shots – 50
Attack the basket – 35

Nets

Offensive Tempo – 15
Defensive Pressure – 60
Help Defense – 60
Fast Break – 50
Crash Boards – 35
Run Plays – 60
Zone Usage – 15
Take Close Shots – 30
Mid Range Shots – 50
3PT Shots – 35
Attack the basket – 30

Nuggets

Offensive Tempo – 60
Defensive Pressure – 45
Help Defense – 50
Fast Break – 75
Crash Boards – 55
Run Plays – 40
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 45
Mid Range Shots – 55
3PT Shots – 30
Attack the basket – 45

Pacers

Offensive Tempo – 55
Defensive Pressure – 50
Help Defense – 60
Fast Break – 50
Crash Boards – 45
Run Plays – 50
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 20
Mid Range Shots – 55
3PT Shots – 75
Attack the basket – 30

Pistons

Offensive Tempo – 20
Defensive Pressure – 80
Help Defense – 80
Fast Break – 40
Crash Boards – 40
Run Plays – 70
Zone Usage – 0
Take Close Shots – 15
Mid Range Shots – 60
3PT Shots – 40
Attack the basket – 15

Raptors

Offensive Tempo – 45
Defensive Pressure – 40
Help Defense – 50
Fast Break – 50
Crash Boards – 35
Run Plays – 50
Zone Usage – 20
Take Close Shots – 35
Mid Range Shots – 60
3PT Shots – 65
Attack the basket – 45

Rockets

Offensive Tempo – 15
Defensive Pressure – 90
Help Defense – 80
Fast Break – 40
Crash Boards – 80
Run Plays – 70
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 25
Mid Range Shots – 65
3PT Shots – 60
Attack the basket – 25

Spurs

Offensive Tempo – 15
Defensive Pressure – 90
Help Defense – 80
Fast Break – 60
Crash Boards – 35
Run Plays – 70
Zone Usage – 0
Take Close Shots – 45
Mid Range Shots – 55
3PT Shots – 50
Attack the basket – 45

Suns

Offensive Tempo – 80
Defensive Pressure – 55
Help Defense – 60
Fast Break – 80
Crash Boards – 30
Run Plays – 30
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 30
Mid Range Shots – 55
3PT Shots – 80
Attack the basket – 15

Thunder

Offensive Tempo – 45
Defensive Pressure – 35
Help Defense – 40
Fast Break – 60
Crash Boards – 60
Run Plays – 60
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 20
Mid Range Shots – 60
3PT Shots – 25
Attack the basket – 40

T'Wolves

Offensive Tempo – 40
Defensive Pressure – 50
Help Defense – 20
Fast Break – 35
Crash Boards – 45
Run Plays – 30
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 35
Mid Range Shots – 60
3PT Shots – 50
Attack the basket – 35

Warriors

Offensive Tempo – 75
Defensive Pressure – 45
Help Defense – 30
Fast Break – 85
Crash Boards – 35
Run Plays – 25
Zone Usage – 5
Take Close Shots – 35
Mid Range Shots – 70
3PT Shots – 70
Attack the basket – 45

Wizards

Offensive Tempo – 60
Defensive Pressure – 35
Help Defense – 30
Fast Break – 70
Crash Boards – 25
Run Plays – 30
Zone Usage – 10
Take Close Shots – 25
Mid Range Shots – 65
3PT Shots – 55
Attack the basket – 45

Enjoy.

How is it going, Chris, any advance in your association? Are you too busy with fifa 10 now? I hope you get at least one match now and then just to keep digging the game!

I'm already mouthwatering with the news Tobi keeps posting in the 2k10 thread.

How is it going, Chris, any advance in your association? Are you too busy with fifa 10 now? I hope you get at least one match now and then just to keep digging the game!

I'm already mouthwatering with the news Tobi keeps posting in the 2k10 thread.
Because I've put it up to ten minute halves I'm finding that half-way through I have to go or I have to update the site, I'd like to lower it but then it screws up the sliders etc...

I've completed four games now though, won 2 drawn 2. I've been offered some trades and refused them so far while I get used to the team. Gomito gave me some pointers and since then, instead of passing to the closest guy and shooting all the time, I'm waiting for openings.

I still wish I could defend better though. You know that training exercise where you have to block the opponent from shooting? Every single time I get "Wide Open -50" and I've tried it over and over and over again (quit, load, quit, load, quit, load). I really need some defensive tips.

Here is one tip. Before every game press starts and go to the options under player match ups, in here you can give your players certain defensive instructions.

For example if your playing against the Suns...

PG - Steve Nash (Play Tight)

SG - Jason Richardson/Leandro Barbosa (Deny Ball)

SF - Grant Hill (Auto)

PF - Amare (Play Tight)

C - Shaq (Auto)

As the game develops you should change these things accordingly, you can double team a player or two but that can make you vulnerable too.

i got this on friday, i'm now going to give it a proper go and try to get into it...i dont fancy my chances but fingers crossed!

OMG i just had the most amazing match againts the miami heat! i was the mavericks and in the 1st and 2nd quarter i was trailing behind by 10 points and then i came back in the 3rd quarter with a great run of points and was only 1 or 2 points behind at the end of the 3rd quarter.

4th quarter was such a tight affair that it went into over time! how did it go on overtime? well i was behind 1 point with about 10 seconds to go and just conceded a free throw! Why does the AI always turn on intentional fouls at this stage of the game?

Anyways hear i am about to concede defeat when the miami heat player scored the first free throw but then he missed the last one!

I then got the ball attacked and scored the equaliser!!!

After that it was over time and again it was a tight affair and guess how i won this? Yup the most dramatic fashion, a buzzer beater shot i took as i was behind by one point and got it in for the winner!!! i had only 2 seconds to make a shot from my last timeout!

DAMM WHAT A FUCKING GAME EH!!

Here are some pics :)

56a5c9e2d11faf13291c9227540f12f03340dfa2.jpg

ff641f6cea938cf4450ace2cb421cdb907cfaaab.jpg

6e3242b18ee20d28b91c195a7fa537a450f91cc1.jpg

d7fa298aed9a0f2811bcd5f8a474aab92357915a.jpg

9e399331dbf6d01749c875dc678428a3b6175c67.jpg

dfc1847abe3c7332c2318896728392839f301d86.jpg

This guy above is without a doubt my best player

9571d27b22fd934b9267b4609fa615c87835755e.jpg

a8c0daca154ca045019d73917cd4baa6e7b22e00.jpg

Last edited: