PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Oh so it isn't like that now? Wow I must play different PES 2013 then...

As playing 4 DCs in defense is better than using fullbacks...

Pretty much Argentina way on World Cup in Germany, but here it works, wonders.

You can play Mexes as DM and you know, he is good there! Despite ranking going wank :).

People are forgetting it's just a GAME. I want fast, end to end game. That was the magic of PES 3/4/5/6. Mixing real life with arcade soul (SWOS anyone?). Back then it worked wonders.

Now, only die-hards play PES. Most good ole' fans as you called them, remembering the days of PES 3/4/5/6 moved away to FIFA (same mechanics as those old PES titles, but packed in new flavoring. FIFA is end-to-end action game, representing football. It doesn't aim to be simulation. It's FUN what comes first).

Shame KONAMI lost the plot and doesn't know what to do with franchise. Move completely into SIM and break the arcade roots completely or... Get back to the start and start from scratch. As I can't stand what they try to pull off at the moment. Mix arcade ML with almost sim like gameplay. Doesn't make any fecking sense to me O_O.

Either make it complete SIM or go back to Arcade ffs. There is no in between anymore :/.

Just go and play online vs all these superteams with players like Ronaldo a you will see fast pace end to end fotball arcade as hell, everybody is playing on Counter attack,

PES6: Pick Inter and play Cordoba in DMF and he's the best DMF ever yeah right.. Ivan Cordoba LOL

I remember very well how many people have said that (out of box) PES6 was broken back then.. Shots were too good, goalies sucked etc.. use fullbacks as CB because they didn't track back leaving gaps etc.. ping pong play, more in favor of attackers-speed merchants.. maybe opinions have changed?

Regardless though, as long as PES remains to have that 'specific soul' i cannot abandon the series.

Well said, everyone playing cutbacks and dont forget Zlatan and Adriano superhumans, there were lots of videos on youtube showing absurd solos and goals of them, everyone was playing for Inter Milanm that game sucked as hell

Well said, everyone playing cutbacks and dont forget Zlatan and Adriano superhumans, there were lots of videos on youtube showing absurd solos and goals of them, everyone was playing for Inter Milanm that game sucked as hell
Yeah, nostalgia is affecting too much to someones.

On a different note, I had my 360 plugged into a friend's TV today, and my Xbox and game settings remained the same. I plugged in the hdmi cable, put on the game and immediately noticed how much faster the game plays. In fact it was probably the equivalent of +1 speed on my TV. Really weird. Oddly though the game felt a lot easier too...

I didn't know the reason behind this but must explain just how many people have different opinions on gamespeed.

What TV preset do you run yours on and what did your friend have his on? I know the GAME preset on TV's is meant to turn off unneccessary processing and can reduce input lag. In theory, that is. I guess some TV's may do it better than others?

I played tournaments with that game.. I know everything about Seabass' fascination with Inter :P

Though even in PES6 on very high play the game wasn't so much end to end at all, although you could ping pong quite easily. Goes to show how people played or the people they played against, when they talk about fast end-to-end games. (Online/Multiplayer)

This game however is a lot more advanced in certain area's compared to the old games, but you won't notice it AT ALL if you don't pay attention. It's like folks say "It always used to work like this, why doesn't it work now?!" "My team AI are dummies compared to CPU's" and so forth.
Now granted the game is not perfect, but if you just play the game (extensively) you will see it's made with a certain idea/philosophy. It's like just as much freedom as you have on attack just as much 'freedom' do you have in defence, yet most are experiencing problems with mostly defence/awareness.

I wrote this long post on WENB blog about zonal defence.. i got zero response. Shows to me that people really don't give a shit about improving or even discussing it further. Bashing is much easier.. then again maybe people are older now and just less interested, in 'really taking time' to improve.

I played tournaments with that game.. I know everything about Seabass' fascination with Inter :P

Though even in PES6 on very high play the game wasn't so much end to end at all, although you could ping pong quite easily. Goes to show how people played or the people they played against, when they talk about fast end-to-end games. (Online/Multiplayer)

This game however is a lot more advanced in certain area's compared to the old games, but you won't notice it AT ALL if you don't pay attention. It's like folks say "It always used to work like this, why doesn't it work now?!" "My team AI are dummies compared to CPU's" and so forth.
Now granted the game is not perfect, but if you just play the game (extensively) you will see it's made with a certain idea/philosophy. It's like just as much freedom as you have on attack just as much 'freedom' do you have in defence, yet most are experiencing problems with mostly defence/awareness.

I wrote this long post on WENB blog about zonal defence.. i got zero response. Shows to me that people really don't give a shit about improving or even discussing it further. Bashing is much easier.. then again maybe people are older now and just less interested, in 'really taking time' to improve.
It's like the penalties thing on PES2011... Yes, it had chip shots bug, right, but people moaned they were too hard to score, so Konami dumbed down the following year with a horrible penalty system, made for kids.
Let's face it, the majority of people actually like and want games like last FIFAs, made for simply playing without thinking too much.

Oh so it isn't like that now? Wow I must play different PES 2013 then...

As playing 4 DCs in defense is better than using fullbacks...

Pretty much Argentina way on World Cup in Germany, but here it works, wonders.

You can play Mexes as DM and you know, he is good there! Despite ranking going wank :).

People are forgetting it's just a GAME. I want fast, end to end game. That was the magic of PES 3/4/5/6. Mixing real life with arcade soul (SWOS anyone?). Back then it worked wonders.

Now, only die-hards play PES. Most good ole' fans as you called them, remembering the days of PES 3/4/5/6 moved away to FIFA (same mechanics as those old PES titles, but packed in new flavoring. FIFA is end-to-end action game, representing football. It doesn't aim to be simulation. It's FUN what comes first).

Shame KONAMI lost the plot and doesn't know what to do with franchise. Move completely into SIM and break the arcade roots completely or... Get back to the start and start from scratch. As I can't stand what they try to pull off at the moment. Mix arcade ML with almost sim like gameplay. Doesn't make any fecking sense to me O_O.

Either make it complete SIM or go back to Arcade ffs. There is no in between anymore :/.

Thing is, i'm not saying 4 CB's works or doesn't. My point was that people were complaining about it and they 'figured out' to put fullbacks as CB.. but the thing is if you know how to play, they will defend anyways, regardless of CB/FB position. It's just laziness. I was still beating folks with their 4 CB tactics with my 2CB's 2FB's, basically saying that the tactic didn't negate anything by default.. it's the way you play.

A lot of fans left because Fifa almost 1on1 copied PES in the gameplay/inputs department. Since then Fifa hasn't really improved at all in the gameplay department, only refined it.
When i play Fifa with my friends they have the nerve to say it plays like old pes.. and i'm like hmm no wonder so many players left...
PES as of late on the other hand does play a different game than old PES yet does still share that true PES soul, and people hate on it.. hmm, see what i did there?
People don't know what they want, they only think they do.. it's so obvious by reading all kinds of posts incl yours. There's always something to bitch about.. fine.. but you don't even understand this game and you're already talking about go this route go that route? Why? Why is/are your point(s) relevant or even truthful? Because i can assure you once PES does this or that, you or anyone else for that matter is going to find something to bash it anyways.

Basically just as bad as anyone can bash this game, i can bash all PES oldskool games, not because it was bad or because i want to, but because they had very apparent flaws as well. Overall package better? OK i'll give it that, but gameplay wise there were tons of shit that didn't make sense, were too easy, too good etc.

Now when it comes to fun, that's very subjective. See for me or anyone else fun can have a different interpretation. I for one don't share the same fun factor as you.

Last edited:
It's like the penalties thing on PES2011... Yes, it had chip shots bug, right, but people moaned they were too hard to score, so Konami dumbed down the following year with a horrible penalty system, made for kids.
Let's face it, the majority of people actually like and want games like last FIFAs, made for simply playing without thinking too much.

Oh i know ;)
Thing is, i grew up with a different 'gaming' mentality so i don't share that mindset, but i fully understand it.

In fact, thinking and putting effort in playing is what makes it fun for me.

Last edited:
Is there an option file for the 360 that has all the kits and team names sorted?, cant see one in the editing section on here.

What TV preset do you run yours on and what did your friend have his on? I know the GAME preset on TV's is meant to turn off unneccessary processing and can reduce input lag. In theory, that is. I guess some TV's may do it better than others?

Yeah both TVs were running on game mode and apart from that just regular settings. Not playing game mode meant there was terrible input lag on-screen. Apart from that it was even using the same hdmi cable, yet the speed was ramped up considerably.

Yeah both TVs were running on game mode and apart from that just regular settings. Not playing game mode meant there was terrible input lag on-screen. Apart from that it was even using the same hdmi cable, yet the speed was ramped up considerably.

I'm sure the T.V.'s processing power has an effect on gamespeed. I've certainly seen that on older PES games, with my different T.V.s.

Player ID has never been much of a feature anyway; it is simply unique sets of animations given to a specific group of players(around 50 players), which make up only about 2% (more or less) of the players in pes 2013. Nevermind being a gimmicky feature, it's almost non-existant.

Other than that, i'm loving pes 2013 on a new PC with all its mods. It just looks seriously damn good, and the animations are so smooth; it makes it impossible to go back to the ps3.

Player ID has never been much of a feature anyway; it is simply unique sets of animations given to a specific group of players(around 50 players), which make up only about 2% (more or less) of the players in pes 2013. Nevermind being a gimmicky feature, it's almost non-existant.

i dont agree at all... the specific animations are really cool and do stand out... and when so often playing as those bigger teams, you come across these players ALOT... which makes using them even better

also a cool addition would be to give us these extra animations in edit mode, instead of being limited to gay run 1,2,3 or 4

i dont agree at all... the specific animations are really cool and do stand out... and when so often playing as those bigger teams, you come across these players ALOT... which makes using them even better

also a cool addition would be to give us these extra animations in edit mode, instead of being limited to gay run 1,2,3 or 4

+1.

I've yet to play with the majority of the I.D. Players, as I generally use smaller teams. From the few I have played with, the pick for me are Ronaldinho and Robben. They look and feel incredibly realistic, eveything about them is spot on.

About the speed thing, it annoys the hell out of me. It wouldn't be half as bad if they hadn't taken acceleration out last year. Now, unfortunately, everyone is at their top speed instantly. On top of which, as people have said, fastest players in the world can't get away from or go past the slowest players in the world. Mad.

Has anyone noticed moments of bad goalkeeper positioning. Particularly, if a forward is through on goal, to one side of the box, the keeper stands RIGHT on his near post... Like, glued to it. And the middle/far-side of the goal is just gaping, wide open and it's so easy to score with the keeper getting no where near it. I feel awful scoring these goals because they're so cheap.

About the speed thing, it annoys the hell out of me. It wouldn't be half as bad if they hadn't taken acceleration out last year. Now, unfortunately, everyone is at their top speed instantly. On top of which, as people have said, fastest players in the world can't get away from or go past the slowest players in the world. Mad.

i garuantee you are playing against the computer. thats an AI problem, not a gameplay problem, because it is not the case against another human.

also isnt 'bursting power' or something like that the acceleration stat?

im not so sure it has a big impact lad. why make tv's that you cant play video games on? its 2012 and not the 90's

They can show videogames just fine, but there's something making the game run differently depending which tv you have. I'm gonna have a look at the refresh rate of them both tonight as I'm intrigued. But it certainly has an impact on how people are interpreting the speed of PES.

My usual TV is a 40" LCD HD 3DTV with a refresh rate of around 200htz I think, whereas the TV I played the game on last night was a 42" standard HDTV with a much lower frefresh rate (3D TVs need higher refresh rates to be able to run 3D, though I don't play PES in 3D).

On the TV with a higher refresh rate, the game seems much slower. Strange, I thought it'd be the other way around but I know nothing!

im not so sure it has a big impact lad. why make tv's that you cant play video games on? its 2012 and not the 90's

No one is saying T.V.s can't play video games, I have no idea where you pulled that whopper from ? :CONFUSE:

The refresh rates and the 50/60 HZ option from previous games had an impact though. I bought a Wharfedale 42" Plasma many moons ago and PES 2008 wouldn't even run on it without severe stutter issues. I paid nearly a grand for that T.V as well at the time.

Last edited:
'Game' mode on LCD TV's will turn off frame interpolation, reducing input lag. Frame interpolation creates a pseudo higher refresh rate but requires some processing from the TV, hence a little lag is introduced between the input from the source and output on the display. My TV has such a mode and the effect of turning it off is hardly noticeable to my eyes, but others may report differently.

I don't think refresh rates themselves have any impact on game speed these days. The game itself is most likely running at 30fps on consoles so all a 200Hz display is doing is repeating frames multiple times. What a higher refresh rate can do is reduce motion blur and smearing, often seen when watching sports, which is why these higher refresh rates were introduced in the first place.

'Game' mode on LCD TV's will turn off frame interpolation, reducing input lag. Frame interpolation creates a pseudo higher refresh rate but requires some processing from the TV, hence a little lag is introduced between the input from the source and output on the display. My TV has such a mode and the effect of turning it off is hardly noticeable to my eyes, but others may report differently.

I don't think refresh rates themselves have any impact on game speed these days. The game itself is most likely running at 30fps on consoles so all a 200Hz display is doing is repeating frames multiple times. What a higher refresh rate can do is reduce motion blur and smearing, often seen when watching sports, which is why these higher refresh rates were introduced in the first place.

Yeah I have game mode turned on, without it games on my TV are unplayable as there is a good second or two delay from what you do to seeing that happen on-screen.

I presume PES on 360 is running at 30fps, but I do notice in close ups like celebrations and cut scenes that the game seems to look like it's running slightly more than that, movement has a different feel to it like its smoother. I've played games at 60fps and it has a similar feel, but only on close ups which doesn't make much sense.

I have my 360 set to be able to display up to 60htz rather than the default it sets as 50, but then that's the same from one tv to another so I just don't know. Between the two TVs mine has far less motion blur up close, but the other tv seems to run the game significantly faster. Just don't understand why. Either way, my tv has no motion blur and I prefer my tv because it plays slower, so it's all good, but it would be nice to understand why this happens as it can seriously affect the gaming experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom