PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said that the old engine was very 'binary', when a player collides with another player; there was only two animations that could happen, the player would probably stumble or fall.

Comparing with the new engine, they said that 'the physics will drive the animations'; there is actually a physics based calculation that determines the animation outcome; which means that we probably would have a larger scope of control over the player. I'm expecting no more awkward position or under pressure pin point passing; no more perfect dribbling when under pressure; and no more clipping issues.

I was actually surprised when they mentioned 'binary', i didn't really expect the old engine to be that limited, i honestly that there was some kind of physics involved; and the lack of animations kinda signified the old engine's problems that we all know about and complain. The animations would be improved anyway; it's very important in the new engine as much as the old one, so i was quite happy when they mentioned that the the demo showed 'more natural animations and fluid transitions than FIFA 13'.

I liked how they just said 'Traditionaly, pressing triangle has been a through ball'. I've always thought the through ball button was quite redundant. So looks like they are looking to change the control scheme abit, which is good for me.

Last edited:
They said that the old engine was very 'binary', when a player collides with another player; there was only two animations that could happen, the player would probably stumble or fall.

That explains a lot :SMUG:

I like that you can potentially throw your body around a bit to challenge for the ball. Let's hope things like this and shirt pulling are balanced though with proper refereeing. Don't want to go back to 1980's style Italian defenders like Gentile. The guy would swap shirts before the game was even over :P

I liked how they just said 'Traditionaly, pressing triangle has been a through ball'. I've always thought the through ball button was quite redundant. So looks like they are looking to change the control scheme abit, which is good for me.

I was saying this a while back (I'm sure others did too). I've had more reward and felt better by using manual passing or 0 bar passing to play a through ball instead of just the through ball button which I rarely use.

A little scare me all that .. Is too good to be true !? Could аll this happen to us !?
It's hard to believe that everything would be so nice just ... is hard to believe. I keep thinking , they will screw up something, like always .

knowing konami, the bigger the hype the shittier the game.

once upon a time we knew nothing and had a good game. my guess: same old shit with nicer faces and a few more animations.

New engine people, New. Engine. That's the keyword. That's what we've been wanting, right? So why not wait to see what this brings?

knowing konami, the bigger the hype the shittier the game.

once upon a time we knew nothing and had a good game. my guess: same old shit with nicer faces and a few more animations.

So, it's easy. According to you since hype surrounding Pes 2014 is so huge the game will be hugely disappointing. You already know it, so why are you still here?

I'm bit tired of fake cynism. People here pretend they don't care about Pes at all, yet they are still on evo web Pes 2014 discussion thread waiting for some news.Let's speak the truth, everyone on here is hoping Pes will return to glory days, even people who say: "Pes is dead to me", "I have no faith in Konami at all".

There is no reason to be optimistic yet, and there is no reason to be pessimistic yet, we can only be cautiously optimistic because early words are encouraging.

is it a leaked pic or fake?
2j45wgj.jpg

actually, everything seems so positive, but one thing just put me off and that is the ui design. i know nothing is concrete at the moment and a little screenshot means nothing but in the page with the title "pillars of the new pes engine", the tactics screen's ui is almost same as now. if they'll change the ui completely don't bother what i say but i think it's really important, an overhaul is much needed in this area. new game, new engine, new prospects and please a new, brighter, more aesthetic and much more universal ui...

funny bit about Phantom Pain / Metal Gear Solid 5 / whatever it is / which is made on Fox Engine, there was an interview last night with Joakim Mogren and people are suspicious that this guy could be CG in that interview, I'm not sure myself (which is CRAZY) but I think it's CGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZcS3SpbC8

So, /v/ posted a theory.

Joakim is 100% CGI in that interview. This is an elaborate tech demo for the Fox Engine.
- It explains why the two are never in the same frame together
- It explains the bandages
- It explains why the game being on the Fox Engine was the big reveal.

If you look at his cheek during the interview, the shading seems suspicious. And the closer you look at it, I have a hard time believing he is actually there.

photorealistic footballers would be a dream come true that's for sure

All this is very good, BUT, if the computer is balanced so it plays like the human has to then we'll be back in the same boat. The rules for the new engine must be equal for human and CPU.

And for FFS, do you think they can get teams to out-possess me that should?

I don't understand you. They clearly have reached the peak of what they can do with this tech and YOU yourself have said it's been terrible. Now you want them to flog a dead horse?

Sure, this new engine will not be perfect to start with. Whether the actual problems will be major or even noticeable is not something we can judge yet obviously.

Not that your previous posts aren't true, but there's an 8 page article that's been released and it would be nice to dissect the possibilities in here rather than rehashing the same crap over and over and over and over.

Soon we'll need another hate thread for PES, and this version isn't even out yet!! PES 2013 is what it is and PES 2014 will be what it will be - the only thing that can change is your mindset.

All I remember is you coming on to disagree with 95% of my posts when PES 2013 came out. Some things never change. :COAT:

Where did I say they shouldn't use a new engine and should continue with the old one? My point was that by this point in the series on this generation of tech we should be at a peak with PES, not just starting from scratch!

You say yourself my previous comments are true so why are you getting annoyed at me not being excited about PES 2014? I have 6 years worth of crappy PES games to back up my opinion, what do you have to back up your optimism for the next game in the series?

No one is saying PES 2014 will definitely be crap but myself and a lot of other people are very cautious and pretty pessimistic about it and I think that is entirely justified considering what Konami have served up to us over the last few years. This feeling hasn't spawned overnight or appeared here to annoy or disagree with you Calcio. It's genuine and there are plenty of damn good reasons for it.

Yeah I probably have disagreed with 95% of your posts but that's probably because, judging by your posts, you loved the last 2 PES games whereas I thought they were shit. Not hard to work out really is it? Did you really think it was personal?

What "cycle of hype" from Konami, regards PES2014 specifically, are you talking about? You don't honestly assert a magazine being invited over to check out some raw tech and the developers talk about how they hope this will help them realise their ambitions, but there is a long way to go, as "hype", do you? That is some of the worst hype ever I have ever read if that was the case, which it isn't, more it was talk about the tech they have at their disposal, along with some interesting tech driven concepts and ideas that they have which they hope will allow them to make a really good video game. It was them talking theory and very little specifics about the game itself, so I don't equate that to hype.

Obviously I wasn't only referring to the cycle of hype for the most recent game, I was talking about the cycle of hype followed by disappointment over the entire series on this generation of tech. The hype train has barely even started rolling regarding PES 2014 yet but surely you cant deny that it will pick up speed fairly soon and we'll be asked to believe that THIS time PES will be the best EVER. Again.

I love reading information about upcoming games and what they hope to achieve. There's nothing wrong with that. If you think that's what I'm moaning about you've seriously misunderstood my posts. My point is that with PES it's always next year they're going to crack it and they haven't lived up to their own hype for a long time now.

Obviously I dont expect Konami to just not bother trying to sell their product and talk it up as much as they can because they're in the business to make money. I just dont expect so many people to fall for it this time around given how many times they've been let down in the past.

New engine people, New. Engine. That's the keyword. That's what we've been wanting, right? So why not wait to see what this brings?

Very true. The "new engine" is reason alone to have hope. For me, PES 2014 doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to move, look and function nothing like PES 2008-2013. Looking back I didn't enjoy any of those games at all. PES 2014 is a new start, it seems...

Still, like pj_puttz said, "It's always next year they're going to crack it and they haven't lived up to their own hype for a long time now." Seems like it's time for Konami to finally deliver.

Last edited:
funny bit about Phantom Pain / Metal Gear Solid 5 / whatever it is / which is made on Fox Engine, there was an interview last night with Joakim Mogren and people are suspicious that this guy could be CG in that interview, I'm not sure myself (which is CRAZY) but I think it's CGI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZcS3SpbC8

So, /v/ posted a theory.

Joakim is 100% CGI in that interview. This is an elaborate tech demo for the Fox Engine.
- It explains why the two are never in the same frame together
- It explains the bandages
- It explains why the game being on the Fox Engine was the big reveal.

If you look at his cheek during the interview, the shading seems suspicious. And the closer you look at it, I have a hard time believing he is actually there.

photorealistic footballers would be a dream come true that's for sure
Is not CGI :D relax, this is real actor. Just cant be FOX or something . Yeah fox is cool, is great but is like to be real human ;) can't be that good .

Very true. The "new engine" is reason alone to have hope. For me, PES 2014 doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to move, look and function nothing like PES 2008-2013. Looking back I didn't enjoy any of those games at all. PES 2014 is a new start, it seems...

I agree that the new engine is a good reason to have hope and if PES 2014 can at least look promising for the future and show that Konami are finally heading down the right road I'll be moderately happy.

Having said that, I dont think PES 2014 will be a game worth paying £40 for simply because they will be starting almost from scratch and therefore there are bound to be a multitude of new problems. It would actually be a nice gesture from Konami if they reduced the price for PES this year to try to get the fans back onside and in admittance of the fact that they really should have had a new engine for this series a long, long time ago.

In my view, PES 2014 will be a testing ground for the new engine and hopefully a step in the right direction but not much more than that unfortunately.

Again, I really hope I am proved wrong in this assumption but I cant take my cynical hat off just yet where PES is concerned.

Last edited:

No doubt this game will be far from perfect as is often the case with new engine debuts, but as long as it's obvious from the outset that PES2014 is a complete refresh of the series then that's good enough for me. I really don't want to see any similarities with PES2013 and all that has gone before it.

No doubt this game will be far from perfect as is often the case with new engine debuts, but as long as it's obvious from the outset that PES2014 is a complete refresh of the series then that's good enough for me. I really don't want to see any similarities with PES2013 and all that has gone before it.

sorry but there's already a tactic screen similar to pes 2013 :))

'...the player uses his hand to regain balance and continue with the dribble'.

User controls the animation due to that weight shifting thingy. Relevation, is all.

Every year since PES 2008 I was writting here, that new engine is needed, cause that old one cant do a shit, everyone was laughing, specially some "hardcore fans" here were making jokes of people like me , now when new engine is coming and Konami is revealing truth about selling non functional shit to their customers for years, everyone is saying that o yeah thats what we ve benn waiting for , oh really ?

Every year since PES 2008 I was writting here, that new engine is needed, cause that old one cant do a shit, everyone was laughing, specially some "hardcore fans" here were making jokes of people like me , now when new engine is coming and Konami is revealing truth about selling non functional shit to their customers for years, everyone is saying that o yeah thats what we ve benn waiting for , oh really ?

Yep. We all were waiting for something special for next-gen (PS3/360). It didn't happen and we had to wait. At the same time, with every release, some were disappointed, some not. We tried to understand what went wrong. We went back to PS2 to seek reasons but comparisons didn't help. How come PS2 engine was good and next-gen weren't when they're still using the same engine? So some kept believing things may still work out with the older engine, while others kept insisting a new engine is needed.

There's no denial that everyone would love a revolution, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom