PES 2014 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's wait for the demo to make any conclusion. Every year is the same at those dates, the game will be the best ever made, bla bla bla. Then you have a game like 2013 which has a very good gameplay when it wants, but ruined by the ridiculous CPU score lines on ML (lots of 1-0, 1-1 and 0-0's). Or 2012 where the that score lines were too high. Those little details keep you out of the immersion.

What's actually different and intriguing this time though is the new engine. Something we've been waiting for since next-gen (current-gen now) hit in 2005-2006.

Last edited:
The one thing I've noticed from this thread is that there is a lot of caution regarding the next game this time around from even the most fervent PES fans out there.

Usually every pic or small nibble of information is greeted with OTT enthusiasm and pages upon pages of "OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST EVER!" Even cautious optimism is rare at the moment.

Oh and Curds, I realise barycentre physics is science. Thanks. My point was that it may be science in real life but Konami dont exactly seem to have a grasp on basic physics let alone something as complex as barycentre physics so maybe they should learn to walk before they try to run.
Trying to put something like that into a computer game can easily be called a gimmick because while they may or may not be able to implement it properly, they'll sure as hell plaster "BARYCENTRE PHYSICS!" all over the game's PR to make people believe they will be getting a more realistic game.

pj_puttz - did you ever think that the building blocks of the recent versions of PES (i.e. the old engine) didn't allow them to implement any better physics than what we currently have. I think it's clear that they understand certain things well in terms of footballing fundamentals but the engine has held them back - not the programming.

Of course there are issues with gamemodes missing and scripting etc but some people make it sound like these guys are first year programmers. They've made a decent game...we're just guys typing in a forum lol

The article gives a not so great impression about the team will to completely change the game. Technology is there and impressive but the Japanese close minded philosophy is an obstacle to embrace a completely new philosophy for Pes series.

pj_puttz - did you ever think that the building blocks of the recent versions of PES (i.e. the old engine) didn't allow them to implement any better physics than what we currently have. I think it's clear that they understand certain things well in terms of footballing fundamentals but the engine has held them back - not the programming.

Of course there are issues with gamemodes missing and scripting etc but some people make it sound like these guys are first year programmers. They've made a decent game...we're just guys typing in a forum lol

That's just it. I dont think the game is "decent".

Konami's recent record with PES has been pretty abysmal in my eyes and many others. They're not even serious competition for FIFA anymore and that game is FAR from being a masterpiece. Just because they are better at programming than we are does not mean they are exempt from criticism. The fact they're not first year programmers is even more reason to be angry about the state of PES because they have plenty of experience in this genre yet have still failed to deliver on so many basic levels.

I fail to see how the engine can be solely to blame for piss poor physics, clipping issues and everything else and even if it IS the reason for these issues who's fault is that? Konami's surely? Or did they have that crappy, impossible to work with engine forced upon them by some evil gaming god? Like every programmer, it's their job to work within the confines of the existing engine. If the engine was so bad why have they persevered with it for so long? Poor physics are annoying in any game but a ball passing through a goalkeeper in a football game is unforgiveable and almost certainly down to lazy programming and/or testing rather than the fault of the engine.

I know some people hate hearing Konami being criticised on here but I dont think (most) people on a forum specifically created for people who love PES would be handing out criticism to Konami if they didnt deserve it.

They've had the praise over the years but now the standards have slipped so the knives are out for them. Fair enough is it not?

Maybe not in the first year but hopefully the western influence will kick in from here on. The London office only just opened recently didn't it? I think people would be silly to expect an entirely different game. If I had PES 2013 gameplay with much better visuals I'd be happy as a starting point. Obviously, the new engine should also improve keepers, camera angles, ball on a string feeling etc. If that's true then I'd personally be "content" for the first year without shouting from the rooftops lol.

The article is still downloading so I'll give more feedback later on or tomorrow.

If I had PES 2013 gameplay with much better visuals I'd be happy as a starting point.

I wouldn't power up my PS3 to play a game like that for free let alone pay £40 for it.

PES 2014 should not be a "starting point" FFS. They've had SIX YEARS on the current tech to come up with a great PES game and they haven't managed it! The current tech is coming to an end this year so PES 2014 should be the absolute pinnacle of what is achievable for a football game on the current tech.

Does anyone actually think that's what PES 2014 will be?

pj_puttz - no one has to praise Konami here. The programmers probably aren't to blame as much as the head honcho's who didn't decide to invest in a new engine are more at fault. I have had some great footballing moments with PES 2013. I accept it though for what it is - limited tech.

Doesn't mean I have to keep accepting it. I know they were meant to release a new engine for PES 2013 but delayed it for PES 2014. If this new game is not much better then no one should hold back in their criticism but to keep harping on about the past when we havent seen the new game is a bit rich.

I wouldn't power up my PS3 to play a game like that for free let alone pay £40 for it.

Why the hell are you here then if you think they've made crap games for 6 years? You want to believe and you're living in hope that they WILL make a great game. If so, be optimistic. If not, go play FIFA lol

Get your copy of EDGE Magazine and learn more about PES new engine!

The day has come! Today EDGE have released their new magazine, which details the new PES engine. As we explained last week, the feature (which spans 8 pages) takes a closer look at the various elements behind the making of the new engine that will power the future of PES.

“In the short term, the team will use Fox Engine to shape Pro Evo for current-gen consoles, but there will be far more to this than a mere graphical update – the team’s aim is to create competition among unequal players by changing the rules of engagement. The new game will feature revamped physics and controls designed to create intriguing struggles between slow, strong players and their smaller, more agile opponents. Player movement will also be detached from the ball, so you’ll be able to drop a shoulder to unbalance an opposing player even before the ball arrives.“
“The goal is to recreate real football culture and the romance of “giant killings”. Currently, online PES 2013 players are almost obliged to choose Barcelona, Real Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain if they want to win. In the future, KONAMI hopes crowd factors – performing a nutmeg in a Brazilian game will elicit wild cheers, for instance – plus an increased emphasis on a team’s formational effectiveness will make for more nuanced and competitive matches.”

The full story also contains details on how crowds and stadiums can affect the outcome of a match, and even how having certain players on the pitch can motivate your squad.
You’ll be able to get the full story in the magazine, either from all good newsagents, or the interactive version for iPad via newsstand. Check it out let us know what you think!

Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks ahead, this is just the beginning!

Fox Engine Pes 2014

fox.jpg

482726_10151334470594327_1037913845_n.jpg

Article-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Why the hell are you here then if you think they've made crap games for 6 years? You want to believe and you're living in hope that they WILL make a great game. If so, be optimistic. If not, go play FIFA lol

"go play FIFA"? Seriously? Grow up mate.

I'm here because I love(d) the PES series but I think it could have been a LOT better on the current tech. Which is far from being "limited" as you describe it.

Do you really believe the current PES engine is so poor that it cannot implement simple physics such as a ball not being able to pass through a solid object? Even if that utterly ridiculous thought were true, why the hell did Konami use it when it's clearly not fit for purpose? To absolve the programmers of any guily whatsoever and blame it all on the engine makes no sense. Unless of course you are telling yourself that in the hope that this new engine will make everything OK and solve all the problems PES has.

I'm at this point with Konami and PES because Konami have pushed me to this point. If you think what they have produced on the current tech is absolutely fine because you've had a few "great footballing moments" and can put all the problems down to "limited tech" that's fine. No one is trying to change your opinion or take PES away from you.

I believe Konami could and should have done a lot better on this tech and that PES 2014 should be the pinnacle of their achievements over the past 6 years. It should definitely not be them going back to the drawing board with a new engine and starting all over again from scratch. Apart from anything else, Konami's problems with PES go WAY deeper than the engine anyway. It's the crackpot decisions they make regarding the series and their inability to get that old PES magic back that is the most concerning thing. They've lost their way with it.

As for your "depressing drivel" comment, not everyone shares your blind optimism regarding the PES series and with damn good reason. If you cant deal with that why bother coming to a forum to discuss the game? If you only want to hear positive comments regarding PES, talk to a mirror.

To be fair, Konami struggled with a fair amount of things that started with a very poor engine in 2008, and the bad decisions that came after that disaster.

It's not so much that they've lost their touch, they just struggled with this entire generation and took a long time to recover. The fact Seabass was pushed away (and that "new project" was just politics) tells us a great deal of that story.

Assuming they've learnt their mistakes + Masuda & co know what they're doing, a new engine (aka a clean slate on which they can build on) should be enough.

Read the full article. If all that they say comes true. The King is defenitely back for a looong time.

PR technical fandangle always makes the game sound divine. Shame we can't just skip the hyperbole this year and go straight to September/October and see if the game's any good or not.

Last year the first demo was in July
it's not too long now until we see if this engine has a real impact on PES gameplay

What is stopping you from doing that?

Harder said then done really. Although I've become progressively less engaged in the run-up to the release of PES over the last 5 years (as well as playing the game itself)it's still hard to completely look away from it through the spring and summer. Who knows, maybe Konami have finally made a game better than PES3 or PES5 this year.

To be fair, Konami struggled with a fair amount of things that started with a very poor engine in 2008, and the bad decisions that came after that disaster.

It's not so much that they've lost their touch, they just struggled with this entire generation and took a long time to recover. The fact Seabass was pushed away (and that "new project" was just politics) tells us a great deal of that story.

Assuming they've learnt their mistakes + Masuda & co know what they're doing, a new engine (aka a clean slate on which they can build on) should be enough.

Agreed mate. The engine is clearly poor but it's not solely to blame for Konami's problems with PES.

A new engine brings with it new problems and starting with a clean slate for PES 2014 when they should be reaching the peak of what they can do with this tech is piss poor from Konami IMO.

I've been assuming for years that they will learn from their mistakes but they dont and as if that wasnt bad enough, they keep making a whole bunch of new mistakes too!

I just feel we have missed out on an entire generation of PES games on this tech to the standard we had become accustomed to over the years. I'm fed up reading about how next year's game is going to be amazing or how some new gimmick with a catchy PR friendly title is going to revolutionise the series and put PES back on top of the football gaming world. I'm sick of it because year after year it's been shown to be utter, utter bullshit.

I'm cynical as hell about PES 2014 and I think a lot of other people are this time around too. Even some of the self confessed fanboys are holding back the hyperbole and excitement this time around.......and with good reason.

I'd love Konami to hoof me square in the nutsack and say "GET IT UP YE!" by proving me wrong with PES 2014 but at this point in time it just looks like the cycle of hype and anticipation followed by bitter disappointment is continuing.

Agreed mate. The engine is clearly poor but it's not solely to blame for Konami's problems with PES.

A new engine brings with it new problems and starting with a clean slate for PES 2014 when they should be reaching the peak of what they can do with this tech is piss poor from Konami IMO.

I've been assuming for years that they will learn from their mistakes but they dont and as if that wasnt bad enough, they keep making a whole bunch of new mistakes too!

I just feel we have missed out on an entire generation of PES games on this tech to the standard we had become accustomed to over the years. I'm fed up reading about how next year's game is going to be amazing or how some new gimmick with a catchy PR friendly title is going to revolutionise the series and put PES back on top of the football gaming world. I'm sick of it because year after year it's been shown to be utter, utter bullshit.

I'm cynical as hell about PES 2014 and I think a lot of other people are this time around too. Even some of the self confessed fanboys are holding back the hyperbole and excitement this time around.......and with good reason.

I'd love Konami to hoof me square in the nutsack and say "GET IT UP YE!" by proving me wrong with PES 2014 but at this point in time it just looks like the cycle of hype and anticipation followed by bitter disappointment is continuing.

I think you have it pretty much spot on in the bolded bit IMO. We have endured 6 pretty piss years/attempts from Konami. I hope they can change it with the new engine; only time will tell! But I'm sick of the hype already.

It is the same for every yearly game release, not just PES
Hype is part of videogame industry: just look at Assassin's creed 3 pre launch hype and look at the reaction. Disappointment.

Anyway, I think that if KONAMI doesn't manage to give us an hugely improved game with this years engine they should take a pause and skip one year then develop a reboot Pes with a completely new development team the following year.

With this new "spectacular" engine they have no more excuses if they fail again.

Last edited:
It is the same for every yearly game release, not just PES
Hype is part of videogame industry: just look at Assassin's creed 3 pre launch hype and look at the reaction. Disappointment.

Anyway, I think that if KONAMI doesn't manage to give us an hugely improved game with this years engine they should take a pause and skip one year then develop a reboot Pes with a completely new development team.

Yeah but hype has been going on and ending with a major disappointment for 6 straight years of pes games.

I agree, that if they fuck this one up, then a new development team should be implemented.

Yeah but hype has been going on and ending with a major disappointment for 6 straight years of pes games.

I agree, that if they fuck this one up, then a new development team should be implemented.

To me pes 2013 was just a mild disappointment (mostly because of removed league mode) but it ended up being exactly what i expected.

We were warned that the real change was planned with pes 2014.

I guess i managed to lower my expectations to realistic level.

@yair25 Nice info about crowd influence in team perfomance. I like that. Hope Konami bring back both teams with chants during the match. Like PES4 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom