PES 2017 challenge series

James Beaver

Championship
21 December 2014
The idea here is to publish a series of challenge matches, which will be played in PES 2017 against the CPU by those interested. We will either be playing the matches as exhibition matches or VS COM matches, we can explore these options.

The first match of the challenge is played on professional difficulty level.
  • If you meet a challenge, your difficulty level stays the same.
  • If you fail to meet a challenge, your difficulty level drops down by one to the next match (e.g. from top player to professional).
  • If you exceed the challenge, the level goes up.
What is meant by "meeting" and "exceeding" the challenge is defined for each challenge.

I have run some similar challenges in the past, most notably the classics challenge in spring 2015 where we replayed classic matches of season 2014-2015 from around the world. In that challenge we used to upload highlight videos and/or show match stats screenshots. We can do those things here as well. The challenge could also be made competitive, but that would imply similar gameplay settings, and I don't think we want that. So here you can play with any assistance settings, any mods or edited CPU tactics. The main point is to have a challenge and enjoy it.

So here is challenge 1: last weekend Everton routed Man City with a final score of 4-0. The challenge is to do a similar feat, controlling Everton. Remember that the initial difficulty level is professional.
  • Challenge match: Everton (Merseyside Blue, you) - Man City (Man Blue, CPU).
  • Challenge settings: exhibition, player emotions off, both teams in random condition.
  • Meeting the challenge: win.
  • Exceeding the challenge: win by a margin of at least 3 goals.

I will be initially publishing a series of these challenges for two weeks. If there are gamers taking part, I'll continue. If not, I will keep playing these just by myself.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
The idea here is to publish a series of challenge matches, which will be played in PES 2017 against the CPU by those interested. We will either be playing the matches as exhibition matches or VS COM matches, we can explore these options.

If you meet the challenge, your difficulty level stays the same. If you fail to meet the challenge, your difficulty level drops down by one to the next match (e.g. from top player to professional). If you exceed the challenge, the level goes up. The first match is played on professional. What is meant by "meeting" and "exceeding" the challenge is defined for each challenge.

I have run some similar challenges in the past, most notably the classics challenge in spring 2015 where we replayed classic matches of season 2014-2015 from around the world. In that challenge we used to upload highlight videos and/or show match stats screenshots. We can do those things here as well. The challenge could also be made competitive, but that would imply similar gameplay settings, and I don't think we want that. So here you can play with any assistance settings, any mods or edited CPU tactics. The main point is to have a challenge and enjoy it.

So here is the first challenge: last weekend Everton (Merseyside Blue) routed Man City (Man Blue) with a final score of 4-0. The challenge is to do a similar feat, controlling Everton, playing an exhibition match. Remember that the initial difficulty level is professional.
  • Exceeding the challenge: win by a margin of at least 3 goals.

I will be initially publishing a series of these challenges for two weeks. If there are gamers taking part, I'll continue. If not, I will keep playing these just by myself.

Enjoy!

Played that match tonight for a laugh. .had one game on professional manual -1 20 mins and came close. Do you only have one chance at it or play until you realise that you can't do it?

Played that match tonight for a laugh. .had one game on professional manual -1 20 mins and came close. Do you only have one chance at it or play until you realise that you can't do it?
Either way, but in this case the question is moot because you did exceed the challenge: you won by a margin of at least 3 goals. Well done! (Exceeding didn't require a margin of 4 as in real life.)

Didn't have a chance to get started myself today. Will start tomorrow and post a new challenge.

Last edited:
Either way, but in this case the question is moot because you did exceed the challenge: you won by a margin of at least 3 goals. Well done! (Exceeding didn't require a margin of 4 as in real life.)

Didn't have a chance to get started myself today. Will start tomorrow and post a new challenge.

I know but I wanted that 4-0 . . .had enough chances.. . good fun.

_realmadrid6_267761bf.jpg

In challenge 2 we go to La Liga, where last weekend Sevilla ended the unbeaten run of 40 matches of Real Madrid by winning at home 2-1. Your challenge is to face the mighty Real.
  • Challenge match: Sevilla (AN White Red, you) - Real Madrid (MD White, CPU).
  • Challenge match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, both teams in random condition.
  • Meeting the challenge: don't lose.
  • Exceeding the challenge: win.

Last edited:
_realmadrid6_267761bf.jpg

In challenge 2 we go to La Liga, where last weekend Sevilla ended the unbeaten run of 40 matches of Real Madrid by winning at home 2-1. Your challenge is to face the mighty Real.
  • Challenge match: Sevilla (AN White Red, you) - Real Madrid (MD White, CPU), exhibition match.

That's a tall order.

The worst thing that could have happened Madrid happened here ha ha . ..I stopped it at half time didn't feel right.

Did another one this morning .. .quick highlights.

@Deco

So you won RM 3-0 on top player, exceeded the challenge and will face superstar next. I need to amp up the challenge for you.

Fortunately wrote the next one right now while commuting...

587b9dd2b2f03.image.jpg

Challenge 3 takes us back to the Premier League and into the future. Man City are in a rut because of their poor performance. The mood of the players wasn't exactly improved when Guardiola ruled his side out of the title race in his Pep-talk last weekend.

Your challenge is to rejuvenate The Citizens. This will not be easy, because next Saturday evening they will be facing Spurs, who are in absolutely top form and 2nd in the league. A decisive victory over Spurs might just light up City's title race again.

• Challenge match: Man City (Man Blue, you) - Spurs (North East London, CPU).
  • Match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, Man City condition poor (45 degrees arrow down), Spurs condition good (45 degrees arrow up).
  • Exceeding the challenge: win by a margin of at least two goals.

Last edited:
@Deco

So you won RM 3-0 on top player, exceeded the challenge and will face superstar next. I need to amp up the challenge for you.

Fortunately wrote the next one right now while commuting...

No James that was pro . . .sorry didnt know I was to go up a level . .i'll try it later.

No James that was pro . . .sorry didnt know I was to go up a level
No harm done. Just edited the opening post to try to make it clearer. My opening posts are practically always too long and convoluted.

Can't wait to get started playing myself.

Challenge 1: professional level, met but not exceeded. Had a number of 1 vs 1s but scored only once.

20170119200747_1.jpg

Challenge 2: professional level, met but not exceeded. Dominated early match, but after we scored CPU came back with a vengeance.

20170119213351_1.jpg

These reminded me of how brilliant this game can be. Absolutely no scripting. Decided not to put undue pressure on defenders with possession. Then the CPU plays a nice game even on professional. Other settings in signature.

Excellent, simply excellent.

Challenge 1: professional level, met but not exceeded. Had a number of 1 vs 1s but scored only once.

20170119200747_1.jpg

Challenge 2: professional level, met but not exceeded. Dominated early match, but after we scored CPU came back with a vengeance.

20170119213351_1.jpg

These reminded me of how brilliant this game can be. Absolutely no scripting. Decided not to put undue pressure on defenders with possession. Then the CPU plays a nice game even on professional. Other settings in signature.

Excellent, simply excellent.

No vids?

Still in exile / on PC, so unfortunately no videos for a number of weeks. But when I travel back to my PS4 the vids will start rolling again if this thread is still alive. Barring any weird events, this (or a related) game mode will absolutely be the one I will be playing for the rest of this season. The gameplay is truly superb when there is no scripting.

Yesterday I quickly edited Matt's tactics for both teams and just started playing. In some earlier challenges we proceeded to a point where some of us played practice matches to get to know the team, and only then attacked the actual challenge. We'll see how it goes here.

You were able to reproduce the SEV-RM end result to a tee. A special (but unspecified) bonus for that. Good pressure you put on them to equalize. And some tactical changes as well.

Still having fun?

I used random form in the first two challenges. They introduce a little bit of extra spice. Yesterday replayed the second challenge late in the evening, and Morata was highly dangerous so probably in up arrow form.

Still in exile / on PC, so unfortunately no videos for a number of weeks. But when I travel back to my PS4 the vids will start rolling again if this thread is still alive. Barring any weird events, this (or a related) game mode will absolutely be the one I will be playing for the rest of this season. The gameplay is truly superb when there is no scripting.

Yesterday I quickly edited Matt's tactics for both teams and just started playing. In some earlier challenges we proceeded to a point where some of us played practice matches to get to know the team, and only then attacked the actual challenge. We'll see how it goes here.

You were able to reproduce the SEV-RM end result to a tee. A special (but unspecified) bonus for that. Good pressure you put on them to equalize. And some tactical changes as well.

Still having fun?

I used random form in the first two challenges. They introduce a little bit of extra spice. Yesterday replayed the second challenge late in the evening, and Morata was highly dangerous so probably in up arrow form.

I got a bit of luck with Ramos getting himself sent off. . .I switched to a 3-5-2 and Tika-Taka and it worked, I could feel a goal coming and when the first went in and I saw the fear in Varanes eyes . . I knew I had them on the ropes. . Vietto actually plays for my ML team and I know he has an accurate shot and is a tight dribbler. .. it was actually my first attempt at it when I got home yesterday. Still enjoying it but your next challenge is crazy. . .handicap my team on Superstar? Wow I'd be happy with a draw there... . let's see what happens. I must use Matt's edits for the next match.

Still enjoying it but your next challenge is crazy. . .handicap my team on Superstar? Wow I'd be happy with a draw there... . let's see what happens.
You've exceeded the first challenges, so the series fails if it doesn't get truly challenging at some point.

IRL City may find it a bit tough on Saturday too. Interesting match coming up.

Commuting again, gotta start planning the next challenge for us.

IMG_0600.jpg

Challenge 4 takes us to Serie B in Italy, to a match played next Monday evening between Perugia and Cesena. Both are desperate for points, Perugia in order to stay in promotion battle, and Cesena to climb out of the relegation zone. Your challenge is to try to salvage at least some points for Cesena from this difficult match.

• Challenge match: Perugia (Prastogna, CPU) - Cesena (ER Black White, you).
  • Match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, both teams in random form.

You've exceeded the first challenges, so the series fails if it doesn't get truly challenging at some point.

IRL City may find it a bit tough on Saturday too. Interesting match coming up.

Commuting again, gotta start planning the next challenge for us.

Pity that I'm the only guinea pig . . . .gets kinda lonely.

Pity that I'm the only guinea pig . . . .gets kinda lonely.
The more the merrier. In the past we used to have some people joining after following for a while. But you're not the only one, right? I will play the next two challenges tomorrow.

I gave it my best shot.
Best shot is a good description of that goal indeed. Superb finishing. And it looked like an entertaining match.

So I need to make them more difficult? Edit. But at least you didn't exceed this one. Will need to decide what to do when that happens...

Best shot is a good description of that goal indeed. Superb finishing.

So I need to make them more difficult?

Back that truck up a bit .. ..that was reallly difficult. . . seriously. . .I'll try Perugia later on Superstar ,let me know how you do as well. .. . I deliberately put in best shot as a taster for that little cracker. .complete fluke. Btw James that was a switch to 3-5-2 as in the last match .. ..look into it.

let me know how you do as well
Absolutely. No chance to play today, but tomorrow and Sunday yeah.

Did you play with Matt's edits? Any difference?

Just figured out a match played next week that should be... challenging enough. :D

Absolutely. No chance to play today, but tomorrow and Sunday yeah.

Did you play with Matt's edits? Any difference?

Just figured out a match played next week that should be... challenging enough. :D

I tested it and played a 0-0 with the normal tactics and Spurs were like maniacs attacking and with Matt's it was more relaxed but sometimes lacked urgency . .. so I'm on the fence a little although it could be just down to which Spurs the CPU threw up at that moment. If you played 5 matches you would get 5 different Tottenhams showing up..

ligue-1-bastia-nice-200117-ligue-1_5c099ea6e85e40ae56ea99dc517397d1.jpg

Challenge 5 takes place in France. Before the 21st fixture, Nice was 2nd in League 1, having the same number of points as league leaders Monaco. Yesterday Bastia (17th in the league) stole points from Nice by achieving a 1-1 draw at home.

• Challenge match: Bastia (you) - Nice (CPU).
  • Match settings: exhibition, player emotions off, both teams in random form.

Last edited:
Camp-nou-match.jpg

Challenge 6 is probably the hardest we have had so far.

Real Socidad have had an outstanding season and are currently 5th in La Liga, 6 points behind Barcelona, who are 3rd. Last week Real Sociedad played the first leg of Copa del Rey quarter finals against Barca, losing 0-1 at home. Next Wednesday they will meet again at Camp Nou in the 2nd leg.

I am sure you already guessed what the challenge is.

• Challenge match: Barcelona (CPU) - Real Sociedad (PV Blue White, you).
  • Challenge settings: exhibition, player emotions off, Real Sociedad in good (45 degrees arrow up) condition, Barca in random condition.
  • Exceeding the challenge: win and score at least 2 goals.
Notice that the only way to meet the challenge and not exceed is to win 0-1, which would force extra time / penalties.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom