PES/WE 2012 Demo Thread

Not gonna crap on about the technicalities of balls intersecting players etc, just some points on the demo:

- This demo is feels similar quality to last year's demo, i.e. a few bugs here and there (it IS DEMO CODE, and "DEMO 1" at that...)

- Keepers are not very good - enough said... been bashed a million times on here

- Dare I say it, player control feels like Fifa 11 now

- Crosses feel more assisted/accurate?

- Headers seem easier to get

- Long shots are way easier, this could be the keeper effect...

- Occasional audacious Bicycle / Volley is more frequent than last year.

- New defense system is great. The player collisions are getting fairly advanced. I think got into the subconcious habit of "body-checking" and "hustling" the ball off an attacker without pressing X, or O.

- The disparity between "lumbering centreback" and "darty quick striker" are even more pronounced now. It's so evident in the pace of players running and who wins in player collisions.

- I especially like how a smaller player can hold off a bigger player for a while, but eventually you need to break off from that bigger player, turn away, hold posession and look for a pass - or try another attack method. In the past the tusstle was usually solved too quick, OR you could "ping-pong" hustle another player for 30+ metres.

- The side of the pitch stuff is great - manager shouting and pointing, camera men, some weird guy running behind the pitch (I can only presume in the final game that will be players warming up, or the random official running along)

- Too many open mouths and extreme facial movements in the closeups. In normal speed they would look fine, but slowing them down makes the players look like they are trying to catch flies

- That hexagonial transition effect after replays etc started to really annoy me...! They still have the normal subtle "cross-fade" in there when it's a throw in, offside etc to advance time, but the graphicy thing feels overused - keep it JUST for goals perhaps...? I felt like after every attack I was watching hexagonal havoc.

Overall, in-terms of the amount of gameplay improvements, features etc, this feels like the jump from PES 1 to PES 2 on PlayStation 2 IMO.

PES2011 really felt like a new game to me, so PES2012 is just a decent enhancement in my books.

PES2010 was like the best PlayStation 2 PES game in HD IMO.

Last edited:
Here are my impressions, please feel free to comment:

http://tikitakatoom.blogspot.com/

Defender awareness could be improved a lot. It was quite a big deal in 2011 and unfortunately it is still there despite some improvements. I have witnessed there are still times where the defender fails to intercept or clear a ball he would have in real life, or at times the awareness of the player of the ball going out of play (throw-in, corner, goal kick and even goal-line) is still pretty much non existent. I have lost count of the number of own goals conceded and scored already in the demo. On the other hand, I have seen some defenders trying to intercept balls that they really can't touch by sliding, therefore opening up space for the attackers and before the defender can get up it is already too late.

Does any1 else see this as an issue?
I find it really hard winning against the cpu because of the agressive defense-ai...

Okay, so finally had that Eureka moment (or moments actually) last night whilst playing the demo. But it came in rather unusual circumstances. I had been playing the PES 2012 demo for a good week or so, but after initial success starting out, found that results were becoming harder to come by. Indeed, as Manchester United I had only beaten Milan once in around twelve games or so and was falling into bad habits of over-aggressive defending.

So here's what I did - ditched the game completely. I then played PES 6 for a whole day, followed by PES 2011 for the PS2. Let me tell you this has worked wonders. Not only has it re-honed my reflexes and again improved my defending style, but when I switched back to the PES 2012 demo (PS3), I had instant success.

My first game was as Manchester United against Milan. The first goal was a lovely patient build up move that involved frequent changes of direction before I played a stunning through ball which Berbatov finished in clinical style. The second goal was pure Giggs magic. A little give and go on the edge of the area with Rooney, which saw Giggs shimmy slightly onto his strong left peg before hitting an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net from 18 yards with Milan defenders tackling thin air.

It was a beautiful game, which I thoroughly deserved. Added to that because my defensive skills had been honed in the other said games, defending seemed much easier this time round. I hardly used sprint, I fell back into position and come to think of it rarely actually tackled. Instead relying on well timed interceptions and crafty re-positioning.

The next game I thought "this has to be a one off", so went Porto against Napoli. Again I played a similar style, with some patient lovely cross field stuff, but it was the next bit that kind of picked me up and had me believing that this type of goal is possible after not scoring one like it since I started playing. It was a fast counter move which seen two passes. A long pass from defence to open midfield, then a stunning long defence splitting through ball to the wing in which one of the strikers bore down on goals diagonally before cutting one back to the other striker who finished with aplomb.

Then a second goal! I hardly ever score more than one goal. Another wonderfully crafted move that saw me hold-up play two or three times, before a decisive little one-two split the defence for a lovely curling shot. The third - yes a third - came in the dying embers when Napoli were pressing, a nice move some me with some room in the box to hit a hard if somewhat speculative shot, which the keeper saved into the post and then in. A 2-0 against Milan and a 3-0 against Napoli. All on Top Player, with assistance off.

So, this just cannot be luck or coincidence. I firmly believe that by playing these two games on the PS2 - PES6 and PES2011, I was better tailored to dealing with the CPU AI and ensured that my defensive skills were patched. The one instant thing you notice when you go back is the pace of the game, you don't have a second to breath on the PS2. I shall play more today and no doubt get whooped after my successes of last night (lol), but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel in what I saw as dramatic progress for me.

Back
Top Bottom