PES6 - Reviews and First Impressions

Stringer Bell said:
The ball is heavier when you play in rainy conditions.

Also the weather seem to change a lot during matches. I was playing match with the Swiss against Crotia...the weather started of really rainy, then it clamed down later in the half...then the same thing happened in the second half, but in reverse.
That's cool.

Has anyone tried the International Challenge yet, it's pretty good, take a team from Qualification to the World Cup (well i hope you get to do the World Cup after Qualifying.

The most interesting part of it is, if you do the European option, you will notice ESTONIA and ISRAEL are in the groups.

In the South American option, VENEZEULA and BOLIVIA are in the group

And with the North American option JAMAICA, HONDURAS and GUATEMALA are in it.

So Konami have taken time to include 7 new teams, Fantastic..........but the usual Konami downfall, as far as i know you cannot go these teams, so whats the bloody point....grrr

gib2504 said:
The most interesting part of it is, if you do the European option, you will notice ESTONIA and ISRAEL are in the groups.

In the South American option, VENEZEULA and BOLIVIA are in the group

And with the North American option JAMAICA, HONDURAS and GUATEMALA are in it.

So Konami have taken time to include 7 new teams, Fantastic..........but the usual Konami downfall, as far as i know you cannot go these teams, so whats the bloody point....grrr

all this was in winning eleven 10 which was released 6 month ago
and its not just 7 teams there are more in asia
so what have they done since then
we10 wasn't great but this one's certainly not an improvment
:(

Last edited:
ok guys,
i have just been playing pes6 for 2 days alone and with friends. to make a long story short, all i want to say is that the game is a big improvement over we10!

- the gamespeed is much more realistic (slower)

-if you are a real football enthusiast like me and prefer to build your plays up in midfield, its now possible cos you have lots more time to do your passes and think about a good tactic!

- its not possible anymore to go from halfline to baseline in under 2 seconds like in we10

- the keepers have been vastly improved (catch the ball more often)

- the animations seem more fluid and some look even more realistic to me than in we10

so overall, its a big step towards realism compared to we10 in my opinion!
only annoying thing's they took out the bundesliga.
imagine this game with complete bundesliga and premier league license!!!

Did you guys see referees giving offsides that are not supposed to be so? I think that was not in PES 5 which I am playing at the moment. If that's in, it's even more realistic.

PES6 is a good game of football.
My only gripe with it is that you can go from defence to the attack with 2 passes everytime without any interception from the opposing defence.
I will the game much more time though before jumping to conclusions

cappz8 said:
ok guys,
i have just been playing pes6 for 2 days alone and with friends. to make a long story short, all i want to say is that the game is a big improvement over we10!

- the gamespeed is much more realistic (slower)

-if you are a real football enthusiast like me and prefer to build your plays up in midfield, its now possible cos you have lots more time to do your passes and think about a good tactic!

- its not possible anymore to go from halfline to baseline in under 2 seconds like in we10

- the keepers have been vastly improved (catch the ball more often)

- the animations seem more fluid and some look even more realistic to me than in we10

so overall, its a big step towards realism compared to we10 in my opinion!
only annoying thing's they took out the bundesliga.
imagine this game with complete bundesliga and premier league license!!!

I agree with you man, but one hugely disappointing thing is the shooting! Man, that is so poor now. Loved the shooting in PES5, the shooting in WE10 kinda sucked, but in PES6 it's even worse.

I've seen a few stupid bugs in pes6 in only a few games other than that it's great and i prefer it over the 360 version.
1- Was given offside from a direct shot from a freekick, the man was near the wall too and the shot sailed over.
2- From a direct freekick the keeper just stood their and the ball hit him in the chest, didn't react or anything, what ai?!

Its the same old story with every other game of the series. I find Im playing the game thinking wow they really have improved on this game. And then something stupid happens and makes me think they have sat in their office, made some changes last December, and not touched it since.

The long pass is more accurate this time. The analogue stick seems to have more directions rather than just up down left right. Lofted through ball is better too..and I can actually use it again.

The referee decisions were frustrating at first, but they are bang on with real life. You just have to adapt from Pro 5 to Pro 6.

The keepers are more realistic in that they dont have 100% protection from the referee..players can challenge for a high ball. And the ball doesnt stop dead on the goal line..sometimes the goalkeeper slides out of play holding the ball.

You are given much more control over your players, and gone are the days of your fullbacks tucking inside and leaving the channels free for the opposition wingers. It makes it harder for me too..as I cant constantly play through balls down the wings to my open player. You have to work the ball and drag opposition players out of position.

Love the new one handed saves too.

However: the shooting is stupid. Ive only played it for 2 days, but not once have I been 1 vs 1 with the keeper and my striker managed to place the ball in the corner (usually bottom). Every time, he has hit it STRAIGHT at the keeper, who either catches it, or parries it and I can score the rebound. Maybe they wanted it to be more realistic, but theres nothing realistc about hitting the ball directly at the keeper every time you are 1 vs 1. And when Im not hitting it at the keeper, Im hitting it 2 miles over the bar even though I tap square.

Also, the keepers positioning is awful. They hug the goalpost and are therfore beaten with long range shots too easily. They react too much to player animation i.e if a striker falls over my player in the box, the keeper sometimes reacts as if he's taking a shot and dives to the floor, leaving the goal open for a simple header.

When you press triangle to bring the keeper out, his route is very random. He sometimes runs around an arc as if avoiding a pot hole in the ground. This gives the striker the whole goal to score in.

Offsides are rubbish, but its not really as if they have ever been good.

The thing that annoys me about all this, is that Konami have taken 1 step forward and 2 steps backward. Pro 5's goalkeeper positioning was fine, so why change it? Same with the shooting. The most they should do is tweak it. It could have been a great send off for the PS2 Pro series, but it isnt. I dont think Ill get used to this the way I got used to the shooting on Pro 4 & 5. Ill still play it, stick with ML, play Exhibition. But I expected this game to have evolved a lot. It hasnt.

After a few days of playing the game, i'm beginning to get the feel/flow of it.

I think the :circle: passes are now outstanding! They're a nice height and speed. You can make some fantastic passes this way - up to a striker, across field to a winger etc.

I personally think the goalkeepers are almost spot on. Keepers do spill shots in real life and i've had some spills, but they've been in situations where a keeper would most likely spill it. On these occasions he's either gotten up again and smothered the ball, or saved again, or i've cleared it with a defender. I've not come across any silly keeping yet. But then again, it's not as if this never happens in real life either (Robinson and Agliardi spring to mind recently).

I'm also loving the quick FKs and the new animations dotted around the place, as well as the odd new trick, eg the Matthews trick (which can only be performed by a player with a 70+ dribbling stat).

I beleive this to be an improvement on PES5. The relief of not having the ref blow up for silly fouls every 5 secs is very welcome indeed.

PES6 is just plain boring in single player. No fun at all, especially with Top Player difficulty.

Shots are so so so weak, so are the passes. The goalkeepers are better. Better animations.

That's all I think.

PS. I hope online is alot more fun.

The game seems too similar to pro evo 5. Usually you play a new game in the series and when you go back to the previous one you realise how much it has come on. Going back to PES5, though, this doesn't seem to be the case.
OK the AI is better, there's new animations and the tackling's different but apart from that it seems exactly the same game. And is it just me or is the non-slide tackling (ie 'poke' tackle) messed up? It seems very random whether or not you are going to win the ball by using x. And when you're one on one with the keeper the players always seems to hit the ball hard rather than place it (like PES4 iirc), even though you only tap the shoot button, which does my head in!

I'm definitely gonna give the game more time before I make my mind up on it though (I didnt like PES5 at first but it was easily the best so far).
I've also got the 360 version and I might end up prefering it simply cos its more different to PES5 which I played to death.

Last edited:
Anyone find the nets look a bit crappy on the Wide Camera view and sometimes on replays the pitch looks a bit weird?

barahota said:
all this was in winning eleven 10 which was released 6 month ago
and its not just 7 teams there are more in asia
so what have they done since then
we10 wasn't great but this one's certainly not an improvment
:(

there is no asian international league qualification! why??

Daisuk said:
I agree with you man, but one hugely disappointing thing is the shooting! Man, that is so poor now. Loved the shooting in PES5, the shooting in WE10 kinda sucked, but in PES6 it's even worse.

What is different about the shooting? Are shots too weak or something?

Last edited:
gators625 said:
What is different about the shooting? Are shots too weak or something?
The shots are weaker, alot weaker to be more exact.
You can't do those long distance shots like in PES5.

But it adds realism to the game. That's for sure.

Ok i just got the game and i would thank you if you could give me some answers.
I live in Peru and i wonder if the version i got is the same as yours in the UK

So
I cant change language, only english :(.
Cant change socks, shorts :(
Stamford Bridge out :( but Bernabeu in :)
We no longer have good balls: teamgeist ball from World Cup is missing, only an ugly red one is available :(.
No adidas FINALE Ball either, just ugly Reebok balls
No Bundesliga but C League to edit
International Challenge but missing the Asian, African and Ocenian Qualifications!

Thats it those are my corcerns. So do i own a beta version, is this a final version? Am i dreaming?

Thanks in advance.

Konami screwed it up.

1. Defenses give heaps more space to attackers
2. 3 passes and you're at the goal
3. Passes are too slow, lose momentum
4. Passes skip players and pass to players who are more often than not off screen and out of position to receive, breaks fluidity and nice passing moves are few and far between.
5. Players lack control, especially when turning.

all in all, it renders the game unplayable for me. I for one hope Konami reconsiders the awful tweaks that ruined gameplay in this version. What a dissapointment.

Where's the beautiful game???

w00tn3ss said:
The shots are weaker, alot weaker to be more exact.
You can't do those long distance shots like in PES5.

You can mate. I've unleashed some rockets on goal from distance, as well as some hard shots in the area and these are with not particularly good players as well.

I'm really enjoying the game. I'm wondering, are the people who don't like the game just jumping straight in and playing like they did with PES5? Because it won't work. All i can recommend is to play a few games on perhaps an easier setting or do some training to get the feel of the gameplay.
My tactics have now changed from 5 to 6. I used to do the :l1: + :circle: to send the ball down field in 5, but this makes for a more lofty pass in 6. The standard :circle: passes are now superb imo, low, fast and seemingly more accurate. I use this alot and find i make some great long ball and cross-field passes. A great way to release a striker/winger on goal too.

dude I played WE10, this is a step backwards. Don't get me wrong, some excellent improvements were made but overall, the fun facvtor is gone. The balance factor. The pressure factor because momentum swings so drammatically.

Add to this that nobody can control or pass better than a Whitmanshire United full back..

Why do the players pass to the wrong player? It frustrates the hell out of me. Chops play into shit. Just heep passing 30 meter passes skipping the entire midfield when YOU'RE AIMING AT THE PLAYER 3 METERS AWAY!!

Dissapointed big time! and I'm a seasoned veteran, countless nites and hours enjoying the billy and winning eleven with mates :)

Perhaps your disappointment stems from the fact that you play WE as well as PES. I wouldn't really expect any significant improvement from a WE to a PES. However, it's subjective as i've read comments from WE players lauding PES6 over WE10. The last WE i played was WE6FE and the J League of the same time, but since then i've stuck to just PES.

It's a shame you're not enjoying it. As i'm already very addicted to it :)

theCRO said:
dude I played WE10, this is a step backwards. Don't get me wrong, some excellent improvements were made but overall, the fun facvtor is gone. The balance factor. The pressure factor because momentum swings so drammatically.

Add to this that nobody can control or pass better than a Whitmanshire United full back..

Why do the players pass to the wrong player? It frustrates the hell out of me. Chops play into shit. Just heep passing 30 meter passes skipping the entire midfield when YOU'RE AIMING AT THE PLAYER 3 METERS AWAY!!

Dissapointed big time! and I'm a seasoned veteran, countless nites and hours enjoying the billy and winning eleven with mates :)

I had that to, but now after practice I realised you have to aim to the player you want to pass with the analoge buttons..

Professor Nutmeg said:
You can mate. I've unleashed some rockets on goal from distance, as well as some hard shots in the area and these are with not particularly good players as well.
I have done a long distance shot with Ronaldo once which was a goal as well. It was from around 30-35m. A bit low but a powerful shot. But that's it...
I'm enjoying the game so far, mostly because it's online play. I don't like playing against the CPU that much.

Can't get used to shooting at all, its either goes straight to the keeper even though I am aiming at a corner or it goes sailing over the bar after tapping square.

The CPU games are boring, hope its better online.

As a matter of fact, i quite like the game...what i like mostis that referess make mistakes.
I played with Angola against Ivory Coast and after barely five minutes my Angolese CB was sent off for a perfectly good tackle...
To make matters worse at the beginning of the second half (while leading 1-0) my left side back got sent off (and yes in the slow motion i saw that he made a late tackle). Still i won that game which was very satisfying.
Next i pmlayed with Ghana and once a again one of my players was sent off for a tackle that seemd correct to me (notice that i'm less categorically).
From then on i was very cautiuous when tackling. Referees give less fouls but in some situations they seem much harsher than in PES5.

Actually, on the subject of red cards, am I the only one who actually finds it easier when you have 2 or 3 players sent off?

I think it must be something to do with the AI model having less players to confuse itself with as I find that I invariably score 2 or 3 goals after I've had a few guys sent off.

The red cards used to annoy me in this series, mainly because the refs were so biased in favour of the cpu team, but I now have no worries about just flying in to tackles. Even thought it still dishes out red cards for good, clean tackles, it's no problem as I know I've more chance of going on to win.

ShaRule said:
I had that to, but now after practice I realised you have to aim to the player you want to pass with the analoge buttons..

Mate, I can't just unlearn my d-pad play from the last 10 years haha. I'll try that though. Don't get me wrong, the game has massive improvements over WE10, but fatal flaws which was only the case with WE8 before this one (PES4 too)

I loved the first 10-15 games, but after that, an empty feeling got me. When scoring from something unplanned especially. A streaking forward I didn't even see or a strange bounce that just comes too easy..

Back
Top Bottom