Red Dead Redemption 2

Well i dont know what Rockstar is known for, but i know that RdR1 had one of the best shooting mechanics and physics i have ever played in this kind of game. I used to constantly look for bandits camps just to have some shootouts. Not much have changed here. They even upped their game.
I adjusted some settings as per people recommendations at the start of the game, so i dont really know how it is on default, but i enjoy it a lot.
This is not Max Payne or Battlefield. Its open world Third Person Action/Adventure game and shooting is very decent for this sort of game.
Look at Elder Scrolls for example. They do their games for ages now and fighting mechanism is one of the worst in business. Im never able to play anything else than an archer as sword fights are so shite.
Kingdom Come Deliverance did better job and they are just a small team from Czech Republic.
Also, I loved Uncharted series but shooting in there was so damn dull.
GTAV fucked up on physics and shooting. Granted. It was boring, joyless and shot in the foot was killing a person.

In here i have smoking guns, nice ragdoll physics, body parts flying around and wounded people trying to crawl away, leaving bloody trace. Happy days!

Don't know what to say really. Rockstar, including GTAs and RDR1, has always been criticized for its combat systems, with the lone exception being Max Payne. And rightly so - it's just not that good and it's the same with RDR2. From its poor default aim settings to its weapon management to the near requirement that you play with Dead Eye to target people (especially with free aim), it's simply not great and the system used in RDR2 has barely evolved from Rockstar's previous systems. Compared with how far its game world technology has evolved, it's quite striking really that Rockstar's combat is basically the same.

I really don't care to go in depth as it's been written about at length elsewhere. But I couldn't even imagine playing this game at default settings because of how crazy easy and overly-assisted it is. It's quite shocking really for a game of this quality and stature.

And comparing it to Elder Scrolls, which has just about the worst combat system of any AAA title, doesn't really count for much. I agree that Uncharted didn't have great gunplay - again a well-known complaint. Lots of people saying the Last of Us's combat would've been a perfect fit and I think I agree.

Lots of people saying the Last of Us's combat would've been a perfect fit and I think I agree.
Last of Us was savage, I fully agree. But bare in mind, Last of Us wasnt an open world game. It has specific gun fight locations crafted for this purpose. You had a lot of hiding spots and the whole environment was working with you during gun fights. Think about it. Do you think Max Payne or Last of Us combat would be as enjoyable if it was placed in an open world where, in a lot of cases, you are wide open? If the gunfights werent happening in specifically designed environment for it?
Shoot assist is there so less skilled people could still enjoy the game and you can turn it off. Yes, they could implement some rolling or some other cool moves during gun fights, but as an overall mechanism it not bad at all. I think so, anyway.

The Last of Us has a good system and feel. Anyway, hopefully Rockstar patch the shooting. They won't but hope bleeds eternal. The shooting just isn't that great, no matter what setting you use. Pretty much any modern game that has shooting in it does a better job. Not a good thing when the central protagonist is a gunslinger.

The Last of Us has a good system and feel. Anyway, hopefully Rockstar patch the shooting. They won't but hope bleeds eternal. The shooting just isn't that great, no matter what setting you use. Pretty much any modern game that has shooting in it does a better job. Not a good thing when the central protagonist is a gunslinger.
Im not trying to annoy you here, lads, honest. Im just trying to understand your point of view. What exactly put you off from gunfights in RdR2? So far I didnt get any specifics in what is actually wrong with it apart of general statements.
Is it aiming? Physics? Player animations? Camera?
Once again - Im not looking for an argument, I come in peace. ;)

Im not trying to annoy you here, lads, honest. Im just trying to understand your point of view. What exactly put you off from gunfights in RdR2? So far I didnt get any specifics in what is actually wrong with it apart of general statements.
Is it aiming? Physics? Player animations? Camera?
Once again - Im not looking for an argument, I come in peace. ;)

It's just not a strength of Rockstar's and it's a combination of things. There's plenty of articles and posts written on Rockstar's poor gunplay and combat systems over the years. If you're curious to learn more, just google it. I'll just say that at default settings it's extremely noob friendly and rudimentary, while when you move away from default, though the challenge increases, it's just not built well to play that way.

So sad, lost two horses this weekend. Poor Harry the horse got gunned down by the police after I lightly bumped a pedestrian walking in front of me in St Denis. I escaped by jumping into the water at the harbour and hiding under the piers, top sneaking. Straight to the stable and a short time later I rode off a cliff with my backup horse, idiot.

So sad, lost two horses this weekend. Poor Harry the horse got gunned down by the police after I lightly bumped a pedestrian walking in front of me in St Denis. I escaped by jumping into the water at the harbour and hiding under the piers, top sneaking. Straight to the stable and a short time later I rode off a cliff with my backup horse, idiot.
Hahaha, its crazy the way we get bonded with them horses. When I got ambushed, all I was thinking was to save the horse! :LOL:
I got off, slapped him to flee and only then started to shoot.. :LOL:

Still riding the same horse you get at the start of the game. Hope to complete the game with him. Like Emroth, I worry more about him more than myself during random encounters. Silly really.

Last edited:
Still riding the same horse you get at the start of the game. Hope to complete the game with him. Like Emroth, I worry more about him more than myself during random encounters. Silly really.
Same here. I read in some review that startup horse will do you just fine till about 3/4 of the game. Only there you can find horses which performance will be much greater than well bonded starting horse.
It is silly but it adds a nice element of fear when ambushed by people or animals. Makes me seriously checking my surroundings when traveling.
Apparently i got some war horse with the game and some supplies but didnt even bother to collect them.

Not worried about horses, as got the Special Edition so started the game with one of the best horses available.

There is apparently an Arabian White horse which is available from Chapter 2, which is one of the best horses you can get. But you will need to tame it in the wild to be able to get it.

As for caring for it, I just ignore it and never worry about it being killed in combat or at anytime.
I had to revive her a couple of times, due to falling down hills too steep to go up or down.

As for shooting mechanics, I can't really comment too much as normally don't play console shooters as don't like using controllers.
So for console retards like me the auto lock on targets is really helpful, although it does make the game pretty easy.

Still hopeful this does get released on PC, as this game would be incredible with a few additional mods and I can wait a year as would just get to Chapter 2 and then just mess around and not do any story elements.

Last edited:
Question. Im not all that when it comes to technology and more and more Im starting to feel a bit lost, like my dad, when they brought mobile phones.
Anyways. Ps4 VR. Can it be used for any games? Can it be used for RdR2 for example?

Im not talking about swinging those touch sticks around to replace guns, im talking only about first person view and head movements.
Can you still have controller in your hands and have VR headset just to look around?
I was trying to google it but i dont think google can follow my twisted logic...

Can you still have controller in your hands and have VR headset just to look around?
You can, but in a non-VR game you're limited to "looking around" a flat cinema screen, and the edges are never far away. So if you turn to look at someone, you're just going to see the edge of the screen - you'll have to use your controller to look at them, so it's a bit naff.

That being said, I did this with Battlefield 1 briefly and it was fun.

T
You can, but in a non-VR game you're limited to "looking around" a flat cinema screen, and the edges are never far away. So if you turn to look at someone, you're just going to see the edge of the screen - you'll have to use your controller to look at them, so it's a bit naff.

That being said, I did this with Battlefield 1 briefly and it was fun.
Thanks, Chris. I get it now. Basically like big cinema screen before your eyes.
Im not a big fan of jumping around and waving my hands, but if I could have VR to look around in games and still be comfortably seated id consider getting it.
I read somewhere that they might make it VR compatibile in the future. But there was too much technological talk and i didnt get most of it.

Thanks, Chris. I get it now. Basically like big cinema screen before your eyes.
Im not a big fan of jumping around and waving my hands, but if I could have VR to look around in games and still be comfortably seated id consider getting it.
I read somewhere that they might make it VR compatibile in the future. But there was too much technological talk and i didnt get most of it.
I feel the same as you - for me, the future of VR is sitting down with a controller and playing the same way you always do, except everything's 3D. No flailing of peripherals.

There are plenty of games that are like that - Dirt Rally was spectacular, but very difficult to master (my times were better without the headset because I wouldn't brake so heavily out of fear).

But non-VR games are just a giant cinema screen. Still a lot of fun, but not immersive.

For me to get back into VR and really stick at it, I'd have to have a wireless headset - the wires trailing across the room are an absolute ballache - and the amount of games that support it would have to dramatically increase. PES/FIFA from a seat in the stadium, or from the viewpoint of a player? YES PLEASE! Mini-games and novelty projects? No thanks.

That being said, I am actually considering treating myself to the V2 headset (meaning HDR carries through to the TV and you don't constantly have to "hot-swap" the HDMI cables if you have a TV that supports HDR, which was a ridiculous design flaw of the first one) - but only second-hand...

Have to say - this game sucked me in like no other in a long, long time. I think Witcher3 was last open world game I enjoyed as much.
The fact that I dont fast travel added so much fun into it. Im setting up camps when it gets dark, hunt and cook, craft and upgrade my ammo, plan my journey and continue at dawn. It also brings a lot of cool side missions and encounters. I absolutely love it and every day discover something new.
Im still at Chapter2 only and Im not planning to rush it anytime soon.
Lost my starting horse last night. Dont know if it was a glitch or what the hell happend there. Hitched him, went onto the train and for some not-so-bright reason, he decided to follow me. He was running beside the train and fell of the cliff.. :LOL:
He was never the sharpest tool in the box.. pity..
I didnt want to buy new one and didnt really want to run around in circles trying to find one to tame. I dont read cheats so dont even know where decent horses are.
So i looked around, picked one that I liked, walked up to some fella riding it and Arthur said
- ok, mr. There is no reason to die over this. Just gimme your horse...
:LOL:

Finished the main story. I enjoyed it, I suppose. The experience was marred by clunky controls, shooting mechanics and cover system though. The visuals and game world were great. The amount of detail is the best I've ever seen in a game. Makes me wonder what the next Elder Scrolls game will look like...

Overall: 8.5/10

Graphics/Game world: 10/10
Story: 7/10
Audio: 9/10
Controls: 7/10

Last edited:
Makes me wonder what the next Elder Scrolls game will look like...

Considering Bethesda's engine is an abomination and they're too arrogant to license a decent engine and/or invest the necessary time/resources into improving their engine my guess is it'll not look that much better than Skyrim/Fallout 4/76. It certainly won't look anything close to RDR2.

Haven't played the Fallout games so I'm not sure what they look like. But, I imagine the next Elder Scrolls game is about 3 years away so who know, may look decent by then.

Anyone have any tips on finding Dino bones without spoilers?

I am still just riding around looking for random stuff, think I hear audio queues like spooky music etc, so end up scouring the place.

On chapter 3 now of main story, but I enjoy exploring more at the moment.

Anyone have any tips on finding Dino bones without spoilers?
Afraid I cant help. That dino lady...took me by surprise. I thought it was mountain lion and started shooting at her... i dont have this mission available... :LOL:

Afraid I cant help. That dino lady...took me by surprise. I thought it was mountain lion and started shooting at her... i dont have this mission available... :LOL:

Haha.

I'm sure there are audio cues that kick in around the serial killer areas too, but it would be funny if that isn't the case

For me the noise of the wind and birds and passing people etc. creates the best atmosphere, the music constantly reminds me I'm playing a game and takes away some of the immersion. Plus I don't like music in general ;)

Its very, very subtle in RdR2. Most of the time it feels like its not there. Just adds a tiny bit of atmosphere.
I have it on but never noticed its changing when on the mission.
This Dino Lady might still be there in my playthrough. I realised it wasnt a Puma when she started running away anf cursing at me. But i never went back to check.

The bullet sponge enemies and the daft story was the biggest reminder I was playing a game. I thought the score was great though and added to the movie-like immersion.

Back
Top Bottom