Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

Well, maybe the attempted act of coitus in the penalty box doesn't warrant a penalty after all ... have the rule books been carefully scrutinized?

sarcasm

Another thing to add to the list of VAR blindspots: wrestling, Russian fouls and buggery. :SHOCK:

From another forum...

"Did anyone else notice that when England won a free kick, the ref put a large white line in front of the Colombian wall and by the time the kick was taken, the line had disappeared?" :D

Did they snort it ? :BLUSH:
dd0.gif

How can they complain? I'm pretty sure headbutting people and throwing them to the ground aren't in the rules of football.
I've seen the Pickford save again. Brilliant. That would have been some goal though.

How can they complain? I'm pretty sure headbutting people and throwing them to the ground aren't in the rules of football.
I've seen the Pickford save again. Brilliant. That would have been some goal though.

I always am puzzled by the global hostility the England football side face. Colombia really had it in for them and so did Tunisia. Neither were colonial territories of Britain or much connection to England. :THINK:

Great camera angle from inside the goal

I could watch that over and over. Would have been goal of the tournament I think. But it's produced arguably the save of the tournament.

Well, if the Colombian equalizer was written in the stars, then I'd much preferred if that shot went in.

I could watch that over and over. Would have been goal of the tournament I think. But it's produced arguably the save of the tournament.

Incredible wasn't it. I can't find any other replays of it though, did you see one from the normal camera view?

Just read this on BBC Sport:

aq1EFFy.png

Colombia thought they were unfairly treated by the referee.

Is this an actual joke? Well, I mean, it is a joke.

Any other nation would surely consider that "performance" (i.e. the aggression, the penalty spot bullshit) a national disgrace. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?
The ref team was one of the worst I’ve seen so far. They did fatal mistakes on both sides... be it on England or Columbia. That, plus missing yellow cards in half time one led to this bahavier in the pitch (mostly Columbians).
England playing “not that good” and seem to loose everything after the equalizer speaks volumes, IMO.
I’m curious to see how they evolve...

It’s the WC of strange things!

Incredible wasn't it. I can't find any other replays of it though, did you see one from the normal camera view?
Same - I want to see how close it was to going in, it's difficult to see from that inside-the-net angle! I didn't see it properly in real-time!

It’s the WC of strange things!
Yeah, like coaching staff elbowing a player as he leaves the pitch.

Sorry but I can't wrap my head around anyone sympathising with Colombia or their "style of play", let alone their media praising the team.

But the absolute worst thing? FIFA will do nothing about it.

When Neymar goes down convulsing and screaming after someone's eyelash floats on the breeze and pokes him in the arse, nothing will be done about it.

If Sweden say "hey, look how close England came to going out, let's elbow them, kick them, gang up on the referee and cheat", nothing will be done about it.

Does anyone care about the 2018 World Cup final if 50% of it is spent trying to get players to stand ten yards away from the ball during a free kick?

Are there people out there who actually like all of that? Is there some kind of entertainment value in this non-skilful "drama" to anyone?

i get you. totally. i'm all with the sport and hate all that hollywood drama these days...
DFB suspends 2 staff people (from their own team) for jumping up and doing the winning fist after that late kroos screamer! ^^
same time a swedish staff member gets no penalty (by FIFA) for pushing GER staff member... ^^

there is so much **** going on these days, that has nothing to do with the sport itself. sad that is.

most of the time, i'm with the underdog team at WC's or EC's when my team isnt playing. but yeah, some teams make it hard to root for them (see columbia last night).

refs and VAR give it the rest! ^^

edit: and there is so much other incidents... but im already tired of talking about it.

Last edited:
@Chris Davies
Do you even watch football?.
I mean, besides English leagues.

I'm actually quite surprised at your current state of shock after yesterday's match.
What you saw yesterday is no worse than what happens every single weekend around the world in most leagues.

Haven't you seen how Busquets (a player I love) behaves when some rival barely touches him?. Or Pepe? or Ronaldo?. Suarez?. It's even worse in our side of the world. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, etc. We're used to that (not saying it's OK, but we got used to it).

EPL and EFL may be different as is England as a country itself. But I'm surprised that football people like you guys are actually making such a big fuss about this like you had never watched football matches from other leagues.
In fact, as much as I know Argentina deserved to be knocked out against France, I think the Referee ruled every split decision in France's favour and I think they ended up with only one yellow card, when at least two more players should have been booked.

Heard the Pickford interview after the game. Young fella definitely likes a bit of self adulation.

Last edited:
You're right Chuny, but it would be so simple to cut it all out but it's as if it's become the accepted norm so it's ok now. All teams do it, Maguire dived last night expecting a touch and then embarrassed waved no it wasn't a penalty at the ref, but he still dived expecting a touch.

The ref's have been pretty good at playing advantage and it's amazing how many mortally wounded players have suddenly got up. It's a miracle I tell you.

There's so many simple things they could bring in to cut out feigning injury, cheating, time wasting, getting in the ref and asst ref's faces and so on. The ball might actually be in play a bit more then as well.

A few ideas off the top of my head

1) Any player arguing a decision in the ref or asst ref's face is an automatic yellow card.
2) Only the captain can talk to the referee about a decision.
3) Once the ref has given a penalty (and VAR confirmed if there is VAR being used) then the ref blows his whistle. Then if the defending players aren't out of the box in ten seconds they are booked. Same with keeper being on his line.
4) Fourth officials do substitutes and it can happen while the game is in play. They don't do anything else apart from get shouted at by the two coaches anyway so why not have them in charge of subs? No time wasting then, just imagine how quick they'd get off if the ball was in play.
5) Standing in front of the ball at a free kick is an automatic yellow.
6) The defending team have 10 seconds to get behind the sprayed line or the free kick gets moved forward to the sprayed line (not inside the penalty area obviously, but in that case can move it anywhere up to the edge of the box if they want )
7) A cynical hack down to stop a counter attack means a free kick outside the area anywhere the attacking team wants it, no matter where the hack down happened.
8) Goal kicks have 10 seconds to get back in play once the ball is in the keepers control or else a corner is given, similarly with throw-ins, once it's in the player's hands 10 seconds or the other team get the throw.

You're right Chuny, but it would be so simple to cut it all out but it's as if it's become the accepted norm so it's ok now. All teams do it, Maguire dived last night expecting a touch and then embarrassed waved no it wasn't a penalty at the ref, but he still dived expecting a touch.

The ref's have been pretty good at playing advantage and it's amazing how many mortally wounded players have suddenly got up. It's a miracle I tell you.

There's so many simple things they could bring in to cut out feigning injury, cheating, time wasting, getting in the ref and asst ref's faces and so on. The ball might actually be in play a bit more then as well.

1) Any player arguing a decision in the ref or asst ref's face is an automatic yellow card.
3) Once the ref has given a penalty (and VAR confirmed if there is VAR being used) then the ref blows his whistle. Then if the defending players aren't out of the box in ten seconds they are booked. Same with keeper being on his line.
4) Fourth officials do substitutes and it can happen while the game is in play. They don't do anything else apart from get shouted at by the two coaches anyway so why not have them in charge of subs? No time wasting then, just imagine how quick they'd get off if the ball was in play.
6) The defending team have 10 seconds to get behind the sprayed line or the free kick gets moved forward to the sprayed line (not inside the penalty area obviously, but in that case can move it anywhere up to the edge of the box if they want )
7) A cynical hack down to stop a counter attack means a free kick outside the area anywhere the attacking team wants it, no matter where the hack down happened.
8) Goal kicks have 10 seconds to get back in play once the ball is in the keepers control or else a corner is given, similarly with throw-ins, once it's in the player's hands 10 seconds or the other team get the throw.
Some good ideas there. Love 1,2 and 5.

Wasn't that one of the "directives" given to referees at the start of a recent Premier League season?

It lasted for a month or less, then everyone forgets about it and referees don't punish it.

Therein lies the problem.

Just thought of another one...

If subs are done as they are now, once the official puts the board up they have 20 seconds to get off. If they don't it's an automatic yellow card and if they've been booked already it's a second yellow and a sending off and the sub can't come on for them then.

@Chris Davies Yes, that was, you're right, that is exactly the problem. Like the 7 seconds the keeper can hold the ball, as far as I'm aware that still is the rule but is never ever adhered to.

Remember the free kick one as well, where delaying the kick or arguing over it meant it got moved forward 10 yards, whatever happened to that one as well?

Too much shit for refs to keep up with these days. Almost need 2 on the field now. One in each half.

Hey
Yeah I'm totally on board with punishing the fakers, the cheaters as much as punishing violent players and also those who love wasting time that, we know never really gets given back on stoppage time.

There's so much that can still be improved for the next WC.
I would love to see real added time based on how many seconds/minutes the game has been stopped, either accidentally or on purpose. Mathematically. Don't tell me they were able to add a chip inside the ball and
made a freaking watch on the ref's wrist ring a bell if the ball went over a painted line to let him know it was a goal, but they cannot calculate EXACTLY how many seconds the match wasn't active. It cannot be a ref's decision anymore. It's not fair.

@Chuny When Sky got hold of football here for TV in the early years of it they used to show a stat at the end of the game for the time the ball was actually in play and it was usually about 60 minutes!

I would love for you guys to take 20 minutes of your time and read this carefully:https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...i-jorge-sampaoli-julio-grondona-a8426061.html
If you're interested in Argentina's football debacle, Messi, corruption and why things are the way they are.

An interesting read. 38 votes each in a 75 man vote!! Corrupt to the core isn't it? I have often wondered about the huge league you have with what 28 teams in it now? That's crazy. In the last 30 years football has alienated itself from the fanbase with people like this running the game.

An interesting read. 38 votes each in a 75 man vote!! Corrupt to the core isn't it? I have often wondered about the huge league you have with what 28 teams in it now? That's crazy. In the last 30 years football has alienated itself from the fanbase with people like this running the game.

That's why it's so funny for me when people say Messi failed this WC. Our whole system failed. It crumbled down. Years ago. Yet the world seems to want to pin it on Messi. He's just a football player! The best ever. But just a player nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom