Russia World Cup 2018 Thread

Does it really matter whether someone watches football from around the world or not?

The way Columbia were yesterday was a disgrace - 3 minutes to take a penalty and whilst half the team surrounded the ref the others kicked up the penalty spot.
They were complete dirty/disgraceful feckers, and if I saw my team using such disgusting antics during a game of football I would not be impressed.

The main thing that shocked me is how Columbia ended the game with 10 men, Falcao every time a decision went against Columbia he ran straight to the ref shouting in his face.

FIFA need to act retrospectively and start handing out bans after the game, even the Columbian coach elbowed an England player whilst walking down the tunnel and was laughing about it.
They really need to cut it out the game, and the constant falling over and pretending your hurt to get a player booked or just time waste.

I just had an thought with regard to PES. If they implement VAR they'd have to bring fouls back into the game then!
I was way ahead of VAR. :D
Been rewatching a lot of scenes during a match in PES via replay feature (drives my local buds crazy when I pause the game for that) I love to see In detail what’s up! :)

Don’t need it that often in a real match though. ^^

That's why it's so funny for me when people say Messi failed this WC. Our whole system failed. It crumbled down. Years ago. Yet the world seems to want to pin it on Messi. He's just a football player! The best ever. But just a player nonetheless.

I wouldn't blame Messi for the failure of the tournament, Argentina just seemed pretty poor and came against a team I said would win the WC from the beginning.

But also should say Messi isn't the best player ever - He isn't even the greatest Argentinian ever.

The way Columbia were yesterday was a disgrace - 3 minutes to take a penalty and whilst half the team surrounded the ref the others kicked up the penalty spot.
Yep. Then you read this:

Sky Sports: Colombia boss angry at England tactics

Clearly the "fake news" era (where everything can be true if you just *believe* it) has spread to football. I truly can't believe this shit.

Colombia's "tactics" were nothing to do with football.

I've got no interest in the game if this is what it is now. Seriously. Diving has blighted the game for years, but those Colombian tricks... Fuck that.

I wouldn't blame Messi for the failure of the tournament, Argentina just seemed pretty poor and came against a team I said would win the WC from the beginning.

But also should say Messi isn't the best player ever - He isn't even the greatest Argentinian ever.

Well I strongly disagree, But I guess it's just down to taste, right?
I have never seen another player with Messi's technique and success rate at mostly everything he tries to do on the pitch and the actual outcome. Not to mention how sustained his performance have been for 10+ years at the top of the world competing at the highest levels possible. Not human.
But then again, you are totally entitled to think differently and you can put whoever you want over him.

Colombian players and staff embarrassed themselves last night but it seems they're carrying on in the same vein via the press.
As for Maradona, got to be one of the biggest embarrassments in football these days ...tho, tbf to him he's only sicking up for his suppliers

The thing is @mattmid , England would have half a chance of winning the whole thing if they just had someone in central midfield to pass the ball and keep the play fluid, not even a footballing giant like Pirlo or Der Kaiser is needed. Jonjo Shelvey would have worked or maybe Eric Dier (Portuguese trained so he has passing in his football brain) would add some craft and sense of control. It is all headless chicken stuff so far, run like crazy and win a free or a corner.

And then there is the horrible prospect of being screwed over by FIFA and Russia in the semi-finals, a
VAR fix will make Dirty Diego look like a minor annoyance. :NO::NO::NO:

Shelvey probably the only one we have atm. Dier is so poor.

Both Colombia & England tactics & performances so shit yesterday especially Colombia, that's worst match in this WC beside France vs Denmark at group stage: more yellow cards, more diving, more faults unneeded, more dirty tricks, wrong decisions by referee. Finally, I don't think England will be in this WC final :), maybe beat Sweden but will be knocked out in semi or sooner (that was i think). Believe that! (Roman Reigns said :D)

Messi is one of best players (not the best of all) in this football era, no doubt. He isn't best Argentina player ever, of course I know it. Messi leave his countryside when he so young and Argentinian said " He isn't from Argentina" . He easily chooses Spain for his national team but he said no. He did everything for Argentina but always be the first player blamed after defeats that not all foul by him, he nearly lifts WC 2014 trophy but can not for some reason that everybody know it. Anyone always compare him with Maradona at WC 1986: why Maradona lifted WC trophy with "average squad" while Messi can't? Please look at teammates. Maradona's leader also inspiration but shouldn't underestimate the contributions of triple players: Burruchaga, Valdano & Sergio Batista also solid defending. You can't win WC trophy alone without "good teammates". Ronaldo at Euro 2016's winner because he has perfect teammate to help him also good tactics by his coach. If he can't shinning, Quaresma+ Nani + Renato Sanches or another can replace him and never forget the " real hero of Portugal" Eder (like Ronaldo's antifan said :D) with winning goal in final. Everyone said Ronaldo so very very lucky with European trophy yeah of course but at least he had got good teammate to help & support when needed not lonely like Messi. And now see teammates beside Messi at this time : no word to say & describe :LOL:

Am I missing something here?

The Argentina team is held together by Messi?

Dybala, Higuaín, Aguero, Messi, Di Maria, Otamendi (who had a fantastic season).

I don't know much of the Argentina team from 1986, but if Maradona played with those guys he would of won a lot more World Cups - I don't like the cocaine addict, but at the end of the day he was an absolute incredible player what I saw of him and IMO better than Messi.
So IMO he was the greatest of all time (very very closely followed by Ronaldo), but I also don't know much about Pele as never saw him play, only videos.

But we have all been lucky the last 10 years as in our lifetime we will probably never see a player anywhere near the calibre of Messi and Ronaldo again.

Am I missing something here?

The Argentina team is held together by Messi?

Dybala, Higuaín, Aguero, Messi, Di Maria, Otamendi (who had a fantastic season).

I don't know much of the Argentina team from 1986, but if Maradona played with those guys he would of won a lot more World Cups - I don't like the cocaine addict, but at the end of the day he was an absolute incredible player what I saw of him and IMO better than Messi.
So IMO he was the greatest of all time (very very closely followed by Ronaldo), but I also don't know much about Pele as never saw him play, only videos.

But we have all been lucky the last 10 years as in our lifetime we will probably never see a player anywhere near the calibre of Messi and Ronaldo again.

If you watch Maradona videos on youtube which just highlight his goals or certain plays, then yeah... you might consider him the better player. But if you look for entire matches or longer duration highlight videos of matches then you'll see his regularity was nowhere near Messi. His long pass and even his short pass was also nowhere near accurate as Messi's which is amazing. Plus, nowadays football plays like it's on +2 speed on PES, and in Maradona times, it felt more like a -1, so Messi's mental and physical speed is off the charts. Specially from 2009 to 2015.
On Diego's favour, football was much more aggressive back then and referees weren't as harsh, so he suffered the consequences a lot more than Messi.

Messi may play with better players on the book. More publicity involved as well. But when push comes to shove, they never score when the team needs them. Just take a look at the last 3 finals Argentina lost, WC 2014 (Higuain missed a sitter in the first 15 minutes against Germany), then Palacio missed one in front of Neuer in the second half (trying to chip the ball WTF?! instead of hitting it hard and low), then Higuain again in Chile 2015, and then Higuain again in USA 2016. Unbelievable. While Maradona could have a bad game but Valdano, Burruchaga, etc actually came through for him and score when he couldn't. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE.

Messi carried his team there. To 3 consecutive finals. Then they fail. He starts the play as a CM, then creates the play as a CAM, then opens the ball to one of the wingers, and then he has to finish the play himself as a CF, because if he doesn't do it himself, his teammates would FAIL the scoring opportunity. IT'S NUTS! WHAT WE ASK OF HIM IS INSANE.

Well I strongly disagree, But I guess it's just down to taste, right?
I have never seen another player with Messi's technique and success rate at mostly everything he tries to do on the pitch and the actual outcome. Not to mention how sustained his performance have been for 10+ years at the top of the world competing at the highest levels possible. Not human.
But then again, you are totally entitled to think differently and you can put whoever you want over him.
Reading that; can you please gimme a short CR7 summary of yours?! Welcome to do it via pm, because of ot. :)

Reading that; can you please gimme a short CR7 summary of yours?! Welcome to do it via pm, because of ot. :)

I rate CR7 highly. He is a monster. And he carries the weight of most of his team, they drag him.
I don't get carried away with "oh but his personality this, and his ego that". That's bullshit. He built a character for the media that suits him perfectly. I doubt he is that way when the cameras aren't present. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard or read any teammate (former or current ones) speaking badly of him, or talking trash. They all say he is a perfectionist. However, that being said... Portugal still won the Euro with Ronaldo at a bad level, and he didn't even play the final. So that goes to show that sometimes Portgual needs Ronaldo more than anything, but they can still do something without him.
In Real Madrid, it's a different story though. I think his teammates are awesome (arguably even better than what Messi has had at Barcelona after the last Champions League they won). So even if he wasn't around anymore, they could still achieve big things. In fact, I would have traded CR7 for Neymar or Mbappe 3 years ago.

I just had an thought with regard to PES. If they implement VAR they'd have to bring fouls back into the game then!

:OT:
Never !!! @mattmid , PES is the last refuge of the football hardman, one time I signed the classic regen Claudio Gentile in PES for my ML team and he would do stuff that would get you five years in the Big House off the pitch. Not even a yellow card in PES games. :LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

And the cynical and well-timed goal-saving professional foul is a work of art in PES.

Probably the best in my lifetime.

Italia 90 was my first. I don't even know where that one ranks in football terms but it made me fall in love with football so I consider it the best emotionally speaking.

Russia18 far superior to Brazil & Germany WCs which I didn't enjoy. I personally liked S.Africa, it had an original atmosphere to it and I even grew to quite like the vuvuzela. I'll always remember Ghana vs Uruguay, I was on a stag doo (so not remotely sober) and as Ghana stepped up for the pen the outdoor club we were in was playing "Waving Flag", everyone supporting Ghana, it was as close to a moment of footballing altruistic ecstasy as I've seen. Obviously it came crashing down but it's a moment that will stay with me.

Anyway, I don't recall as many good games in one tournament before, and the addition of VAR has made the game fairer and added its own kind of drama

There are only a couple of moments from 2010 and 2014 which stand out for me.
A lot of people seemed to enjoy 90 a lot. There must have been some good games because there weren't that many goals.

Probably the best in my lifetime.

Italia 90 was my first. I don't even know where that one ranks in football terms but it made me fall in love with football so I consider it the best emotionally speaking.

Russia18 far superior to Brazil & Germany WCs which I didn't enjoy. I personally liked S.Africa, it had an original atmosphere to it and I even grew to quite like the vuvuzela. I'll always remember Ghana vs Uruguay, I was on a stag doo (so not remotely sober) and as Ghana stepped up for the pen the outdoor club we were in was playing "Waving Flag", everyone supporting Ghana, it was as close to a moment of footballing altruistic ecstasy as I've seen. Obviously it came crashing down but it's a moment that will stay with me.

Anyway, I don't recall as many good games in one tournament before, and the addition of VAR has made the game fairer and added its own kind of drama

Summed up perfectly. I think this has been the most exciting, tons of drama, great goals, upsets & controversy. Conversely, like how '90 is special to you, '06 is special to me being the first World Cup I watched and being a kid enhances that sentimental value to you too. I don't think it's ('06) considered amazing from a neutral standpoint but it wasn't bad either. Plenty of great goals and talking points and a host nation that finished third, despite going in as underdogs.

I think '90 is considered a memorable tournament and can only imagine what that must've felt like at the time, The magic of England making to the heights of the semi's and being so close to a final, Cameroon on the opening day, Argentina's number 2 Keeper becoming a hero over the course of a tournament and some pretty incredible stadiums for the time.

Nonetheless we're seeing a change of the guard in international football. This tournament has been incredibly unpredictable, International reputation and stature means nothing right now. no team is safe and it's all about teamwork, morale and form as well as quality. Just imagine a WC Final with Uruguay, Croatia, Sweden or dare I even say England. 4 Years ago you've have said no chance of any of those nations being a consideration.

It's been a good World Cup. My issue with the World cup over the years (other than the Vuvuzelas that keep showing up) is that only 8 countries out of 195 have won the thing. There's a decent chance that could change this year. Would love to see England win it again, but would also be happy to see a 9th country lift the trophy.

Last edited:
Would love to see England win it again, but would also be happy to see a 9th country lift the trophy.
Agree, but that being said, I'm looking forward to a Brazil v France semi-final.

Brazil/France v England/Croatia in the final is something I'd love to see, especially if England or Croatia ended up winning it.

We have to remember that football is more than just penalties, wrestling and some goalfests. The lack of Italy and Holland also takes away from it. Defensive excellence seems a thing of the past and worst of all the VAR tool is a political mechanism used by FIFA to fix games. No smileys here, I am deadly serious.

It has been a great World Cup so far.

There have been quite a few shocks, and that is what people want.
Germany going out early, several teams also under performing.

I have also enjoyed seeing the host nation do so well, they could even beat Croatia and even better could get to the final and who would of thought that at the start of the tournament.

I think the old cliche of no easy games in International football has kind of come true this tournament, and some matches have been really good to watch.

Also bought out quite a lot of emotion in neutral games which is great - Was really cheering on the Japs against Belgium when they went a goal up, although they didn't have the composure to see it out.

The only thing that would make this tournament even better is if England win, which is again completely possible if we scrap through the Sweden game then we could do it - But also depends which Croatia turn up in the Semi, the team who got through the groups and absolutely spanked Argentina or the team who looked so incredibly below average and should of lost to Denmark.

I really miss Italy so much but we can see the shadow of Italy at this WC. That's Sweden with strong defending. Granqvist is the beast: beast in defending also beast in take penalty :D & Emil Forsberg also underrated. Sweden will knocked out England imo, i like to see Croatia vs Sweden in semi-final. With the other semi-final i want to see European team vs South American team. Why always Brazil vs France? Why not Uruguay vs Belgium.

I've really enjoyed this world cup so far. Bar a couple of games even the one's that have not been that great have had some kind of drama in them. Some of the final group games and the permutations were crazy. You had Colombia winning and Japan losing but going through, but a Senegal goal would put Colombia out while a Japan goal and a Senegal goal would put Colombia out. Another Poland goal would have put Senegal back through while at the same time Japan could put themselves out by getting 3 bookings. All this with 20 minutes to go.

Personal favourite would have to be 90 for me because it's just about the best we've ever done bar 66. We were that close to beating Germany. And no Englishman could ever forget the moment Gascoigne got booked and Lineker's look to the bench. Also the Cameroon game was one of the best games I can remember for England in a world cup, a real cracker of a game.

It has been a great World Cup so far.

There have been quite a few shocks, and that is what people want.
Germany going out early, several teams also under performing.

I have also enjoyed seeing the host nation do so well, they could even beat Croatia and even better could get to the final and who would of thought that at the start of the tournament.

I think the old cliche of no easy games in International football has kind of come true this tournament, and some matches have been really good to watch.

Also bought out quite a lot of emotion in neutral games which is great - Was really cheering on the Japs against Belgium when they went a goal up, although they didn't have the composure to see it out.

The only thing that would make this tournament even better is if England win, which is again completely possible if we scrap through the Sweden game then we could do it - But also depends which Croatia turn up in the Semi, the team who got through the groups and absolutely spanked Argentina or the team who looked so incredibly below average and should of lost to Denmark.

I can't see them being allowed to beat Russia in that possible semi-final, can you ? VAR is so easy to manipulate a result by the FIFA godfathers. :CENSOR::CENSOR::CENSOR:

Big Question before bedtime:

Who thinks this is the best Word Cup of all time ? :THINK::THINK::THINK:
cant say so. my team is out, so thats the first bummer.
but if i put this fact aside: still not my fav wc!
some teams missing at all... like italy or the netherlands.
the refs performance.
VAR.

what i liked so far: underdog teams coming to the quarter/semis finals!
some good games like that fra:arg match.
kick off times here in GER (related to my time at work).
everything seems possible (score wise).

i was 10 years old when GER won in italy. to young to remember details... but it hooked me up to soccer i guess!
2006 in GER was fine too! it was "at home"... we did quiet good... damn gauchos! ;)
2014 in brazil was awesome! never forget that 7:1 or winning the final match! :D

Last edited:
Not just Germany, Italy, Holland who either did not qualify or did not play to their standards. But apart from Japan, world football outside Europe and South America looks to be not developing at all.

How the hell can 48 teams be justified in 2026 ? San Marino and The Vatican will have teams qualified for that size of tournament. :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

Not just Germany, Italy, Holland who either did not qualify or did not play to their standards. But apart from Japan, world football outside Europe and South America looks to be not developing at all.

How the hell can 48 teams be justified in 2026 ? San Marino and The Vatican will have teams qualified for that size of tournament. :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

Actually I think this World Cup has showed that the gap is getting ever smaller. 48 does seem too much though I agree. My biggest problem is the format, it's going to be groups of 3 teams playing 2 games. Which means a lot of teams will go home having only played a couple of games which isn't great for fans, and also that two 0-0 draws will get a team through to the knockouts. :ZZZ:

Well FIFA wanted more money, and the African and Asian delegates wanted more teams in the World Cup.

48 teams is extreme, the World Cup should be left as it is.

The only thing I would change is remove the seedings - All 32 teams got to the WC on merit, why seed the teams so that your pretty much guaranteed the main 2 going through, makes it near impossible for any Asian or African teams to qualify for the next round.

So what if we get England, Argentina, Brazil and Germany in the same group and Egypt, Panama, Morocco and North Korea in another - Everyone qualified why make them seeded?

Back
Top Bottom