Spanish La Liga Thread

Pepe vs. Fabregas was the fastest movement we've seen in football this year.

Who hit the ground faster? Almost impossible to tell.

Their training and commitment to dive is unparalleled. Feel some contact on face, hit the deck like a boss.

Not sure about that one, Alonso clipped the ball, and Iniesta kind did the old 'kick it between two players then jump into them and fall over' trick.

So 3 penalties of which non should have been given:
1. foul on Ronaldo was outside
2. Neymar was in offside and clipped his own leg
3. Iniesta held Carvajal

alonso was a shadow of himself too. I think it was a bad decision to sub off benzema.

So 3 penalties of which non should have been given:
1. foul on Ronaldo was outside
2. Neymar was in offside and clipped his own leg
3. Iniesta held Carvajal

None of the camera angles can confirm Neymar vs Ramos situation. The cam from behind suggests Ramos lightly touching Neymar's back-shin/ankle but it's hard to say for sure. If there's contact the penalty and card is spot on, if it's not then it's the perfect dive. It gave Barcelona the match, they owe it to Neymar as much as the two scorers.

Not sure about that one, Alonso clipped the ball, and Iniesta kind did the old 'kick it between two players then jump into them and fall over' trick.

Often also called the infamous "sandwich". That's not the worst penalty decision I've ever seen to be honest. A STUPID move by Xabi Alonso, he should've covered the RB rather than barging into Iniesta like a headless goon.

Last edited:

exactly. iniesta does this kind of stuff very well in big games. alonso should've known better though.

but Neymar was offside so we should not have to even look was he fouled or not
KindCrazyHeifer.gif

Nevertheless both teams played great in 1st half. It was great football with lots of chances and it is really sad that 2nd half ruined the whole experience

cuky, you're technically right but let's not forget the refs are humans not some robots who can catch milimetric displacements momentarily. it's just too close.

I think Neymar's penalty was right ..
the only right penalty, of course if we ignore the fact that he was off-side.

the Iniesta's one, is a foul against him, he held Carvajal's shoulder then made a dirty dive.

I agree with Cuky, 2nd half ruined the image of what we have seen in the 1st.
what a thrilling first 45 minutes

The general rule is also to give the attacking team benefit if you're in doubt. A rule that generally isn't practiced often enough. I'm talking about the offside rule, of course.

I agree with Cuky, 2nd half ruined the image of what we have seen in the 1st.
what a thrilling first 45 minutes

Ahem... for the neutrals the second half was just as good. For Barca fans too, I imagine.

Last edited:
I enjoy the match , ref was involved too much in the 2nd half. ( I like it better when they`re not noticed)That Neymar pen looked a little suspect. That was the part I dislike the camera kept changing angles during the match, its hard to really see the replays.

Ronaldo's penalty should've been a free kick. English TV covered it pretty thoroughly and the old Real Madrid chairman agreed as well. They stopped the pictures and he's visibly 20-30 cm outside the box when Dani Alves' leg hooks him.

if the neutrals like boring possession and too much fouls, then I agree with you.

If there weren't, the players would've been knackered at 70 minutes. It's all a part of football, you know. Besides it's one of the least dirty El Clasico's in a half decade at least. The tension and nerve was great.

I also think that the ref did a pretty good job. None of the decisions were horrific even though some of them were arguably wrong. He didn't show any sign of favoring one side or the other. It all boils down to luck and coincidence.

EDIT: I'd like to know what the conversation between Messi and Marcelo was about. All mafioso like with "discreetly" covering their mouths.

Last edited:
Ronaldo's penalty should've been a free kick. English TV covered it pretty thoroughly and the old Real Madrid chairman agreed as well. They stopped the pictures and he's visibly 20-30 cm outside the box when Dani Alves' leg hooks him.

If there weren't, the players would've been knackered at 70 minutes. It's all a part of football, you know. Besides it's one of the least dirty El Clasico's in a half decade at least. The tension and nerve was great.

I also think that the ref did a pretty good job. None of the decisions were horrific even though some of them were arguably wrong. He didn't show any sign of favoring one side or the other. It all boils down to luck and coincidence.

EDIT: I'd like to know what the conversation between Messi and Marcelo was about. All mafioso like with "discreetly" covering their mouths.

Good post

Want it Messi and Pepe aka crusty the clown.

Reminds me of the conversation Henry and Ronaldinho had before he joined Barcelona during the Arsenal v FCB CL final

That's the only penalty that never in a million years actually was a penalty. Madrid should've possibly gotten one for the Bale vs Pique situation. The Iniesta penalty was arguably soft but the Neymar situation is pretty clear. Doesn't matter if Neymar provoked an awkward situation for Ramos on purpose or not, Ramos graced his leg and the rules are clear. The Iniesta one isn't as soft as half of the penalties I've seen given in PL this season.

and what's it got to do with his status as a footballer? footballers do their job on the pitch as far as I know. I mean, I'm not to say you have to like him but let's judge players with how they do in games. there have always been many great players or coaches who were also well known as whiners. their characters only creates some fans/haters but imo have absolutely nothing to do with their footballing status. same with any sports out there, of course.

p.s. I certainly disagree with ronaldo's latest comments.

Last edited:
I can only imagine what would have happened if this was Barca player down and Pepe stepping on him
YouTube - Sergio Busquets pisa a Pepe en la cabeza | Real Madrid 3-4 Barcelona 2014

this doesn't look done on purpose or this hard watching some other videos with different angles. just an accident imo.

the only thing that really bothered me from yesterday's clasico was messi's behaviors during his goal celebrations. I do wonder what more he would like to do to provoke madrid fans if he'd get half of the treatment ronaldo sees from barcelona fans at camp nou. actually that kind of stuff is usual in all sports and shouldn't really concern me at all but I'm sick of this guy being seen as a little saint all the time with no apparent reason.

Madrid as a club and some of their fans have wasted yet again a new chance to learn how to loose with class. Cristiano and Ramos should be banned for their conspiracy talking. In the Premier they wouldn't be playing in a month.

It's childish to have this "conspiracy" attitude every time they loose, ignoring the ref had good calls for practically the whole match in a very difficult situation. And ignoring that the first big mistake of the game was awarding a penalty to Madrid.

We thought all this bullshit attitude was gone for good with Mourinho, but it seems it isn't. When Barcleona lost 1-3 last year, I heard no one talking about conspiracies, just recognizing Madrid was a lot better than us last season in vs matches. It would be healthy for some Madrid public figures to start changing this trend, because it doesn't make sense any more.

The only truth is that they have won 1 of 12 points against Atletico and Barcelona and it's always been the ref. In the last 6 years it's always been the ref. Except when they win. Yeah...

The referee was mostly right in very difficult situations.

Ronaldo penalty
The Ronaldo play wasn't a penalty but if I was a ref I would have took that same decision. Refs are human and you can understand this, because it was a very close call. Barcelona didn't make a drama of it.

Neymar penalty
Later, Ramos clips Neymar legs from behind, clear penalty. People talkin about diving I don't know if they ever played football. You watch the replay at slow motion.

In real life they are running fast. Ramos clearly clips Neymar. First contact is on Neymar right knee and then another on Neymar left ankle. That said even in Madrid TV.

The physical reaction of Neymar left leg is IMPOSSIBLE to do voluntarily in real life. You can say that Neymar freezed on purpose to force Ramos contact. And I think so. Because you can do this in football and is a foul of the defender. We see this all the time. It's Ramos fault, he should know better. You can even learn from the reaction on the pitch of Ramos himself. He didn't moan about the penalty to the ref, but about the red card. So, in the pitch he knew it was a penalty. Then later on he says he didn't even touch Neymar when there's clear evidence of that. Ramos...

Off-side in Neymar situation, in some Madrid TV show they analyzed with a computer and they don't even know if it is off-side or not. They were that close. If he is off-side, it's MILLIMETRIC. So, again, like in Ronaldo situation, to me it's a correct call by the ref. How do they expect the human eye to see it?

But you know the best thing about it? 2 Minutes before Bale passes to Benzema who can score but Valdes saves. Benzema was almost a meter off-side but the linesman didn't see it. Much more clear off-side, but no one makes a drama of it.

Penalty to Iniesta
Alonso knees Iniesta, clear penalty again. People saying it's a soft penalty... It's a stupid penalty, Alonso does a foolish tackle inside the area. Again, it's the defender's fault.

In my oppinion Madrid lost because of their fear to go for the match. Ancelotti should have let Benzema in the pitch as he was moving perfectly between CBs. Ronaldo and Bale didn't appear and one of them should have been subbed instead, probably Bale.

As I say, there was fear from Ancelotti to let Messi with spaces and Madrid seemed too comfortable playing counter when they were 3-2. Big mistake.

Football wise it was the best Classico in years, with lots of goals and attempts and two teams determined to win and a very entertaining match for the neutral. And usually the team with a healthy Messi wins.

PS: In the Busquets stepping on Pepe there's a TV shot in which you can see how Diego Alves is holding Busquets and moving him, what causes him to change his direction and step on Pepe. Aggression or accident? I really don't know. Busquets and Pepe are both such a shame for fairness in football, that I don't even bother, I wish both were banned for a long time.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you have said, but I can't agree more with this part:

In my oppinion Madrid lost because of their fear to go for the match. Ancelotti should have let Benzema in the pitch as he was moving perfectly between CBs. Ronaldo and Bale didn't appear but finished the game. There was fear to let Messi with spaces and Madrid seemed too comfortable playing counter when they were 3-2. Big mistake.

That said, football wise it was the best Classico in years, with lots of goals and attempts and two teams determined to win.

That first half just flew by, it was like someone accidentally hit fast forward button on his remote. Second half looked a bit more like previous Classicos with players from both teams surrounding the referee whenever he blows a whistle, but still not even close to what was when Mourinho was around.

And Anceloti after the match...I haven't read the original article, but one translated by Croatian sites...he said that they looked better than in 1st Classico in this season, but that they have lost the game because of mistakes they did and that they have to learn from them. He also, according to translation, refused to comment on referees.

And Anceloti after the match...I haven't read the original article, but one translated by Croatian sites...he said that they looked better than in 1st Classico in this season, but that they have lost the game because of mistakes they did and that they have to learn from them. He also, according to translation, refused to comment on referees.

Yes, because as I said in the Madrid thread, Ancelotti IS class and I respect him very much, both as a coach and as a human being. The same can be said about Tata Martino.

Now it's only certain players that need to take example of it!

it was a fun game, but more fun to watch barca and real kids fight each other over who is better and who is the cheater xD better than passing by at the kindergarden

Back
Top Bottom