Spanish La Liga Thread

Two matches ago it looked like Real Madrid was cruising off in the horizon, now they're trailing. Such a wonderful world :) I hope Atlético Madrid wins the league.

I wouldn't like Real to win it either. they got only one draw and three losses against atletico and barça. simple logic for me. :)

I like Real Madrid, they're my fav Spanish team, but I would really like to see Atletico win it.

Real look like they're blowing it now.

I like Marcelo, but he wasted countless balls last night when he was in some great positions.

FD

I wonder what would happen if Atletico would win La Liga.
Wouldn't they loose their best players and coach and implode after that ?

Anyway, the last match of the season is Barcelona -Atletico (or Atletico-Barcelona, i'm not sure). Could be a thrilling end of the season....

Atletico winning the title truly would be an outstanding achievement. With competition like that, it just goes to show how incredibly strong the elite (as well as quite a few good clubs behind them) in Spain has become. Atletico, of course, has already had its fair share of big successes in the last couple of years - the Euro League titles spring to mind; but competing over a 38 game season on the same level as Real and Barca is truly something else. And who can tell for sure where this clubs' endeavors in the Champions League will end this year? They have proven to be capable of posing a threat to the very best time and time again, they might really kick out Barcelona.

Add to that the fact that the entirety of Spain's starters just amass points in an almost greedy fashion year after year in European competitions, with the current season shaping up to be the most remarkable in an ongoing series of already incredible years (Spain's still got 5 teams left competing for silverware, 3 more than the very best of the rest) and you've got yourself left with really only one true conclusion to draw: La Liga is - by quite a margin - the best league in the world when it comes to the top 6-7 teams which are relevant for the countries results in Europe.
Real, Barca, Atletico being the three team spearhead of the bunch; Sevilla, Valencia, Bilbao and the likes - though not at all involved in the actual title race - still good enough to frighten a good chunk of the very good to top European sides.

So far this year Spain's 7 starters have collected 130 points for the UEFA country ranking. As a comparison: runner's up from the BPL amassed 112.5, third placed Bundesliga teams just under 100, with 97. That translates into 10-15 more wins for Spanish sides in international clashes (bonus points are currently distributed in favor of the latter leagues, actually!). A statistic that'll most likely continue to change in favor of La Liga. 5 more points are already guaranteed since Barcelona and Atletico face each other in the CL. Considering how brutally strong both these teams are/can be, though, that might be a blessing for the rest of the teams' ambitions :P

I thought that deserved at least a mention, because I just remembered thinking how crazy it was Spanish teams scored a whopping 20.857 just two years ago, believing this would be a one of a kind achievement not be reached again for many years to come. Well ... they already have a guaranteed result of 19.286 points this year. Real are clear favorites against a decimated BVB side which isn't nearly as good as last year on top of that. Basel and Porto failed to impress so far as well, certainly no insurmountable hurdles for Sevilla (who just beat Real) and Valencia.
I'm curious to see where this'll all end. As good as it all seems from a pure football-perspective, the results brought in on the pitch, there's still the immensely important financial perspective to consider as well. The antics of many Spanish clubs in that regard certainly aren't (or should not be) the gold standard. Not by any means.

Still impressive stuff year after year by the Spanish clubs. Hats off!

That system is so unbelievably stupid. Banning the player would actually rob him of anything sensible to do so he might as well keep snorting.

Or he could realize what he's doing and get his shit together, work hard to get sober and return to the football pitch.

OBnIzkg.png

Quite bad yes

I really really really want Atletico to win the Liga BBVA. They deserve it and would be a big lesson to Real and Barcelona players. Last match is Barça - Atlético, and I will go to the stadium to support Atletico this time (and for the first time in my life I won't be supporting my team), even if Barcelona could win the league.

Atletico winning the title would be, as I said, a real lesson that needs to be taught.

I really really really want Atletico to win the Liga BBVA. They deserve it and would be a big lesson to Real and Barcelona players. Last match is Barça - Atlético, and I will go to the stadium to support Atletico this time (and for the first time in my life I won't be supporting my team), even if Barcelona could win the league.

Atletico winning the title would be, as I said, a real lesson that needs to be taught.

Oh yes, I agree! And if the win, they will be fair winners because they played well and fight with all forces while Real Madrid and Barcelona were waiting an Atletico fall. Then Atletico didn't fall and they are in the 1st place...

we all know, Barça fans will only support Atletico because they don't want Real Madrid to win the title.

I bet Barça players will let ATM beat them if the title remained undecided between the Madrid teams until the last game.

and drekkard, how funny you expressed your wish for Atletico only after your team's hopes nearly vanished.

we all know, Barça fans will only support Atletico because they don't want Real Madrid to win the title.

I bet Barça players will let ATM beat them if the title remained undecided between the Madrid teams until the last game.

and drekkard, how funny you expressed your wish for Atletico only after your team's hopes nearly vanished.

I hope not many people have the same poor and narrow minded view of football you show here. Luckily most of my Real Madrid fans friends are very different to you.

By the way, my brother in law played in Atletico first division handball team in the 90s, my 9 year old niece is a big fan of Atletico and against Villarreal he jumped to the pitch hand in hand with Villa. But hey, I can't have simpathy for Atletico because I'm a Barcelona fan and the world is limited to Barcelona and Madrid. Uoooooh! What a narrow and small world you live in.

Besides, I want Atletico to win because THEY DESERVE it and because with JUST A FRACTION of the budget of Barcelona and Madrid they TAUGHT THEM a lesson and I think (and most people from this board will agree) it is a GOOD thing for football that the underdog wins and leaves the TV-rights-millionaires behind. If you don't share this then you love your club more than the sport, which is not my case.

PS: Now go and review my posts in the UEFA champions league thread and the barcelona thread or even this thread, and you'll see you missed by far.

I hope Atlético win the title too, but do you really think it would teach people like Florentino Peréz a lesson? If anything, it will only drive him more insane I reckon.

Well, I really hope both Madrid and Barcelona would learn a lesson if Atletico wins, even if they don't want to...
Both Florentino, Real Madrid and Barcelona as a club need some dose of reality in the form of an Atletico title.

PS: Yes, I know I'm just dreaming. Florentino will simply put more money on the table and stir the press a bit more and Barcelona will continue its free fall from the top surrounded by internal and external fights.

Last edited:
Well said Drekkard.

It would be a great victory for FOOTBALL if Atletico won the title.

And while it may not teach Florentino Perez a lesson, it will give Barca and Real the kick up the ass they need while inspring the rest of the football world, that you CAN win prestigious titles with great management, good signings, teamwork and planning.

I sincerely wish for an Atletico championship as well and hope they get it.

First and foremost I want Real Madrid to win this thing. That said, I'm ok with Atlético winning it all although I just don't think it would be that great for football because I don't fancy their playing style that much.

@drekkard, your stance is really commendable. I could never do that. My love for my club is too big. Except for criminal activities or clear violation of rules, I will always give my all support to the club, even if they don't deserve it.
If Atlético win the title will be a bigger achievement than Valencia's titles in the early 2000's. At the time Barcelona had an identy crisis, trying to replicate the dream team 90's philosophy, but without the financial capabilities of the English and Italian sides. Real Madrid was in the Galácticos era, just buy players who sell shirts (and never, never, never buy a defender, those aren't needed, every chump can play defense). But this Atlético of today are going against the two richest clubs of the world (with all that TV money, 60 or 70% of tv money between both?), with the two best players in each side, plus the two biggest singnigs of the summer. If there ever a case of David versus Goliath in modern football, this is the case.
But I kinda still pull for Real, got to love CR7.

am with TSO and andy18cruz, my love for my team is more powerfull than any other thoughts ..
I don't mind Atletico winning the title because they also deserve it, they have a solid team and organized systematic ..
although I didn't consider it a win for football because they use a dirty way to play many times, especially against RM, then a little less against Barcelona.

please don't make them saints or masters of the beautiful playstyle, they are just solid, organised and warriors, nothing more.

in fact, the only team in the top class football world nowadays who succeded to combine hard work, solid tactics, discipline, organisation and beautiful plystyle is BVB.

As a Barca fan I hope Atletico win the title

I can't help but support a team that shows so much spirit and togetherness same goes for Liverpool.

If Barca showed half of that grit and determination we would be cruising.

I can't stomach a team like Real Madrid, buy, buy,buy,buy but win fuckall then say its t-shirt sales that are making your pockets bulge.

It's ludicrous

As a Barca fan I hope Atletico win the title

I can't help but support a team that shows so much spirit and togetherness same goes for Liverpool.

If Barca showed half of that grit and determination we would be cruising.

I can't stomach a team like Real Madrid, buy, buy,buy,buy but win fuckall then say its t-shirt sales that are making your pockets bulge.

It's ludicrous

I could have written that post.

Why does Barça cross the ball into the box for? Pepe n Ramos are amused by it. This ref is not having it! #dramataticstopper

Back
Top Bottom