The adaptive offline Copa América 2015 challenge

Here's my BRA-PER. All analysis again in spoiler below.

YouTube - https://youtube.com/devicesupport

This was the best match ever. Even before I won it.

In the first half Brazil was dominating and we were struggling. I found it very difficult to pass upfield, because the Brazilians were so much faster and more responsive that they were intercepting my passes left and right. Brazil had 12 shots in the first half. Neymar was showing off, as you can see from the video. But gradually we got into the match, and we weren't without chances. Our three shots in the first half were as follows. First the Brazilian goalie made a one-hand save from the bottom corner after our attacker broke through. Then, from the corner that followed, he made a one-hand save from the upper corner. A bit later we hit the post, and a winger missed the rebound just narrowly.

We started on our knees, but we knew we had potential.

At the beginning of the second half Pizarro did his magic: a run through the middle, and an amazing shot to the bottom corner. But this match was won by defending: in the second half Brazil had one shot. Our guys were defending so heroically I couldn't believe it. I was celebrating every time we got a throw-in. It was so intense. It looked like a tie might be at least possible.

And then the unthinkable happened. There were signs of this miracle already earlier, because Pizarro broke through once more, but missed the back post just narrowly. Then I took a risk and used one of my subs for a fresh attacker, Carrillo. He thanked me by breaking through and deciding the match with a cool finish.

,----
| MATCH: BRA-PER
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
| MY TEAM: PER
| RESULT: win 1-2
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
`----

James, it sounds like a hell of a match.
I'm on mobile right now but I'm looking forward to see the highlights!

By the way, both the matches from day 2 of Group A are ready, Chile-Mexico is already uploaded but Ecuador-Bolivia failed again.
I'll look into it when I get back home and hopefully share both matches. :)

PES 2015 COPA AMERICA CHALLENGE - DAY 2
ECUADOR - BOLIVIA 1-3

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: ECUADOR - BOLIVIA
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: PW
PLAYING AS: BOLIVIA (weaker)
RESULT: 3-1 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS (higher)
I've never had a match with such a start. In little more than five minutes, we were already up 2-0. By the 10th minute, they scored one to make it 2-1.
I still feel guilty for scoring what in FIFA would be called a "sweaty goal" to make it 2-0 but Ecuador aren't a team you can trust when they can counter-attack (just remember what they did to Chile in the opening match) so I had to extend the lead as much as possible.
Then, Ecuador had a couple of chances to equalize, originating especially from the left flank, but luckily their attack wasn't as lethal as against Chile.
Then in the second half, after some saves by their keeper, I managed to make it 3-1 and basically it was game over.
Back to the original starting level then (TS) I'll be Chile again and face Mexico this time, with Chile needing a win to level everything in Group A.

By the way, I managed to see your match... Brilliant goal by Pizarro, very good finishing skills. This is the kind of goals I usually miss by kicking the ball straight at the keeper. :P

Last edited:
CHILE - MEXICO 2-1

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: CHILE - MEXICO
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
PLAYING AS: CHILE (stronger)
RESULT: 2-1 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW (higher)
Under a pouring rain, Chile needed a win to level everything in Group A and continue their quest to a place in the playoffs, and that's what they did.
I must admit that when Peralta scored I thought "we're gonna lose this one" as Mexico were pretty good at keeping the ball away from me.
Then Edu Vargas, who was given trust even after a not so brilliant first match, stole a ball from a defender, dribbled his way into the box and fired a shot at the far post which went in after kissing the woodwork.
And then he scored again: a great pass by Sanchez to split the defense, Vargas received it just outside the box in a central position and boom, bottom corner and back of the net again.
A couple of missed opportunities from Mexico then lead us to the end of the match: 2-1 win for Chile and now let's move to Group B: playing as Jamaica agaist Uruguay.

*aLe,

Re: your 1-3 win in ECU-BOL. Solid offensive work. And your 2nd goal... You need to capitalise on their mistakes. I usually don't have the guts to start passing in front of the goal. Nice Zidane move in 2nd half!

I took a look at some PES patches for the PC, but at least at first sight it's a mess. Patches overwriting exe and such. All I wanted was correct names and maybe kits. So I might stick with default settings,

Starting tomorrow I will be absent for a couple of days. I'll try to get in a match or two today.

OT (about editing):
I reckon patches have grown complicated nowadays because of selectors, the "need" to support also non-genuine exe files, and so on.
You might want to have a look at the DLC by Julian Cames though, as it's just a file (or two, I can't recall right now) that you can drop in your Pro Evolution Soccer 2015\download folder and you'll be pretty much ready to go:
http://www.moddingway.com/file/48761.html
http://juliancames.blogspot.it/2015/03/pes-2015-julian-cames-dlc-01-real-patch.html

It just adds correct names, kits, and badges for some of the unlicensed teams (I don't think it covers all of them unfortunately) and adds a basic version of Bundesliga and of the Colombian league with just rosters (no appearance/stats for created players).

Now back to the matches. I did a huge mistake during the match I'm posting, and it's been choosing Jamaica (which, according to the FIFA ranking, is better than Paraguay). I realized it when the match was already over. :FAIL:
PARAGUAY - JAMAICA 1-1

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: PARAGUAY - JAMAICA
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS (my fault, it should've been TW)
PLAYING AS: JAMAICA (stronger, see above)
RESULT: 1-1 DRAW
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW (higher, see above why it's not the same)
As I said earlier, I should've played this as Paraguay. My fault that I didn't check and assumed Jamaica was weaker according to FIFA.
But then, when I realized that the match had already ended so I thought there was no point in replaying it. It's been an intense match anyway with a couple of plot twists so I thought to share it anyway. It will count as a TS when computing the score (it was my fault after all).

Paraguay decided to show me straight away why I should've chosen them by forcing Ricketts to do a great save at the beginning of the match, then was Jamaica's turn to sting with a shot that ended just wide.
Minute 35 brought the first plot twist: a ball lost by Jamaica and moved by Paraguay to the left flank. A perfect through ball for Cardozo that outpaced his defender (Powell and Bolt, YOU LIED TO ME!!!), Cardozo doing some magic just inside the box to get rid of two defenders, Cardozo striked...
The ball hit the far post, traveled across the entire goal (with me being like "no, no, please NO, DON'T YOU DARE!") then hit the other post and went in.
Second half saw a better Jamaica, trying to keep the ball away from the South American players and being a little more offensive. A shot from the distance that went out by inches, followed by a crossbar hit by Paraguay on a free kick, ant finally the moment came: patient, sensible build-up finally lead to a situation in which I was able to string two or three good passes together and put McCleary in front of the goalie with a great run. He shielded the ball, he aimed, he scored. WE EQUALIZED!
Then, well... I just had to be harsh and bring one of their men down exactly at the edge of my box to prevent worse damage (I must say I got to learn it the hard way during Chile - Ecuador), luckily they threw that chance away.
When the match looked already set to end 1-1, I had a huge chance. Hue was through during the injury time, he was one-on-one with the keeper, I was already celebrating what would've been a little miracle... And he missed. :FAIL:
At the end we got a draw that looks like the fair result for a thrilling match like this, with teams being very close.

Last edited:
,----
| MATCH: ECU-BOL
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
| MY TEAM: ECU
| RESULT: draw 0-0
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
`----

No goals, no highlights.

I have learned my lesson against superstar: I always start with a defensive formation. Superstar is too dangerous to mess around with. So I played with a defensive 4-2-3-1.

This match could have gone either way, so I guess it was fitting that it ended in a draw. In the first half we defended brilliantly: Bolivia had one shot. In the second half there were times when we were truly in trouble. They were pressing hard on our half of the pitch, and we had trouble escaping. Some of their close range headers were like... Aargh.

Then again, we hit the post twice, and once, after a break and pass from the wing, our CF was 1-1 with the keeper, 2 meters from the goal, and shot - directly at the keeper. So much about our finishing skills.

Overall I think we had 10 shots while Bolivia had 8.

Gotta say that this challenge is even more exciting than I would have thought initially. I mean, almost all matches are just so incredibly intense. Much better than the WC challenge in Fifa last summer.

*aLe,

Great comeback in the CHI-MEX match! And that finish by Cardozo in PAR-JAM...

I will take a look at that DLC once I return from my trip in a couple of days, thanks for the tip. I think my Chileans might benefit from a little break before trying to face Mexico at SS.

Enjoy yourself! :)

Meanwhile, I'll do my best to make sure that when you come back you'll have at least a couple of matches to read/watch aswell. :P

By the way, you're right: some of the matches I played had that 'tense' feeling that made me think "well, this is what I want from a football game".

Let's go on with Group B, Day 2:
ARGENTINA - URUGUAY 2-2

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: ARGENTINA - URUGUAY
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
PLAYING AS: URUGUAY (weaker)
RESULT: 2-2 DRAW
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW (same)
Another tight match, which I had the chance to close with a win if I only managed to pull a good shot at the end with Suarez. Too bad it ended wide.
But let's start from the beginning: it was a cold and rainy day in... France. Yep, FRANCE. :LMAO:
And my almighty Uruguay was set to face Argentina. You know Argentina? Messi, Mascherano (which I personally regard as one of the best players ever), Higuain? Well, THAT Argentina.
No surprise Messi got fouled before the 2' mark. And he missed the subsequent free kick with Muslera raising his arms in relief, pretty much like a volleyball referee would do to tell the ball has gone out without anyone touching it.
It was then Lodeiro's turn to fire a shot towards Romero's goal, saved. The same did Muslera shortly after, a pretty good one-handed save. Then during minute 16 Rodriguez managed to avoid his defender, he shot, the ball hit the post but Lodeiro was quicker than everyone else to tap it in the open net. One nil.
But as always I managed to concede the equalize straight after with Enzo Perez.
You would expect Messi to score, wouldn't you. Don't worry, he did at the beginning of the second half. 2-1 to them.
It was only thanks to an immense Cavani that we managed to equalize within the last ten minutes of the match.
Then Suarez ate the chance for the 3-2 goal. Really, I don't know why he's still in my squad, let alone in the starting eleven.
But hold on to your seats, after seeing Messi and controlling Suarez... The next match will see me controlling Neymar! :BOP:
Yeah, I had to double-check it: according to FIFA, Colombia is better than Brazil.
Now I get why in the later FIFA games the likes of Ibarbo, Cuadrado, Armero and Ramos are so overpowered.

And that finish by Cardozo in PAR-JAM...
Yeah, the most I see it the most I must admit he bloody owned me and my entire defense.

Last edited:
BRAZIL - COLOMBIA 3-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr4bCnajE4E

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: BRAZIL - COLOMBIA
PLAYING AS: BRAZIL (weaker)
RESULT: 3-1 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS (higher)

Finally the chance to use Brazil. Leaving Oscar out for Willian which is in red form and being divided between Marcelo and Maxwell until the very beginning of the match: that's what happens when you pretty much know the players you're going to use.
I'll be honest: like against Peru, another episode of the Neymar show was on air tonight. And it began at minute 13 when he dashed to receive a pass by Willian, outpacing a defender. Then he stopped, dribbled in, moved the ball towards the centre and shot.
Yeah baby, Neymar scored again. And they're two in two matches.
But the Neymar show was not over yet: he forced Ospina to perform a great save shortly after, then he hit a post, then again he managed to dribble his way into the opponents' box and finish it wide by a couple of inches.

But during this episode of the Neymar show, a lot of other notable things happened: my keeper performing a prodigious save (by actually pulling the ball out of the open goal with one hand), Luiz Gustavo getting sent off, Willian trying to make fun of Ospina and failing... Zapata's own goal (not that at Milan he performed any better though)...

It's not been as tight as the two previous matches, but it's been at least as entertaining as them.
And it had Neymar. He's an absolute nightmare to play against and a wonderful joy to use, that's for sure.
Now let's see how I cope with nothing less than superstar difficulty.

PERU - VENEZUELA 0-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVdqE3_O1w

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: PERU - VENEZUELA
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
PLAYING AS: PERU (stronger)
RESULT: 2-0 LOSS
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW (lower)
Predictably, Superstar level is tough. I won't say it's tougher than I expected, but it's really a matter of nerves: you make a mistake, you get punished (as happened in this match).
Venezuela pretty much controlled the match, with me trying to defend like no tomorrow and to keep the ball away from them hoping in a lucky situation (indeed I managed to get their keeper busy a couple of times) and punished when at the end f the first half I brought a defender out of position to press the ball carrier.
Then they scored again, fooling me with one of their players making a run and bringing away one of my centre backs to leave one of his teammates unmarked.
I believe this is pretty much a deserved result after all.

OVERVIEW - DAY 2
ZPq1POl.png

Compared to Day 1, Day 2 has surely been more unpredictable with at least a couple of upsets (underdogs from Bolivia defeating Ecuador in Group A, and Venezuela outplaying Peru in which was expected to be a balanced match in Group C).
Props also to Jamaica that managed to snatch a draw against Paraguay, and nearly won it too.

I managed to get a little better too, in terms of passing and shooting:
pbX638g.png
From what I've experienced, I think I might change my goal a little bit: I'd like to have the completed passes ratio exceed at least 75% before the end of the group stage.

YES, WE CAN.

PES 2015 COPA AMERICA CHALLENGE - DAY 3 - GROUP A
That's it, Group A is over. Two draws mean that all the teams end with 4 points, so it will be goal difference to decide who will progress and who will go home.
Bolivia top of the table because of their goal difference being the best one, Chile in second place (same goal difference and same 'goals for' as Mexico, but Chile won 2-1 against them).
Mexico in third position, but they still have a huge chance to advance to the knockout stages.
Ecuador are out of the tournament. Bad luck, as they could've won against Mexico.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: CHILE - BOLIVIA
PLAYING AS: BOLIVIA (weaker)
What a heart by Bolivia.
They conceded at the beginning, unable to touch the ball from kick-off. Then they fought and came back with a terrific one-two play between Arce and Moreno (with Moreno also nutmegging an opponent, one of those must-watch moments).
They conceded again letting Alexis Sanchez score pretty much undisturbed, meaning that at half time they were down 2-1.
But they kept fighting and Moreno eventually scored the equalizer to make it 2-2.
Great match for me, despite not winning it I really felt proud of my boys.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: MEXICO - ECUADOR
PLAYING AS: ECUADOR (weaker)

Then it's Ecuador's turn to try and pull a win against Mexico.
Dominguez had to make a great save at the beginning and straight after that a shot by Guardado ended over the bar by inches, then Ecuador decided to push on the throttle: nice ball to Caicedo, left-footed attempt at goal, nothing to do for Ochoa.
Ecuador got ahead.
Then in the second half Enner Valencia got booked for an insane challenge (it never happened before, did it? :WHISTLE: ) and straight after Peralta scored (I don't know how I managed to miss the "original" gameplay in the montage :FAIL:, luckily enough the replay is still in so you can have a look at what happened).
The last shiver was a shot by Antonio Valencia ending wide, but it wasn't enough for Ecuador to secure a spot in the playoffs.

PES 2015 COPA AMERICA CHALLENGE - DAY 3 - GROUP B
As expected, Argentina finished top of the group closely followed by Uruguay (thanks to an out-of-the-world Lodeiro).
Following a 4-1 defeat against Argentina, Jamaica leave the tournament. So will do Paraguay, as the third placed team in Group C will surely have more than two points after the last two matches which still have to be played. Tough luck for them as they deserved a win against Uruguay.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: URUGUAY - PARAGUAY 1-1
PLAYING AS: PARAGUAY (weaker)

Despite dominating the entire match and gaining an early goal with Dos Santos chesting down a loose ball and firing it past Muslera, Paraguay failed to grab the win that would pull them through to the knockout stage.
Unluckily, indeed, a late equalizer by Gaston Ramirez allowed Uruguay to hold Paraguay to a draw. Useless result for the boys in white and red shirt, that needed no less than a win to progress.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: ARGENTINA - JAMAICA
PLAYING AS: JAMAICA (weaker)
RESULT: 4-1 LOSS
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS (lower)

I don't even know what to say about this match. The difference between the two teams was so obvious that Argentina trashing Jamaica didn't really feel like a surprise to anyone.
What annoyed me the most is that we were already 2-0 down before I could realize the match had started.
Then they scored again. Jamaica's reaction led them to score one and make it 3-1 but didn't bring anything else, and in the second half Argentina hit again to make it 4-1.

Last edited:
You've been a busy bee here, haven't you. Just watched your BRA-COL win. Great use of Neymar, and not unrealistic at all. If you watched the UCL final yesterday, you noticed that he really likes to dribble with multiple defenders around him.

I also paid attention to that double save by your keeper. Amazing! I think this was the second double save I have seen in your highlights, while I don't remember seeing any in the many (thousands?) of matches I have played by now.

I will be looking at the other highlights later. Let's see if I can get in some match time myself today.

You've been a busy bee here, haven't you.
You really don't know how much into this challenge I am. After every match I'm like "alright then, I weant to play another one right now". :D
I actually finished also Group C, I'm uploading the first one right now... This afternoon I'll be tackling at least two quarter-finals, I can't wait! :APPLAUD:

The 0-1 goal in PER-VEN is classic, because it's the defensive AI that pulls your defender out of the line, and the CPU utilises the hole left behind. Defending against those is kinda hard. You either need to fix the hole left behind, mark the run, or sack the player with the ball. All of these may be impossible to pull off in the short time given.

The second goal is also typical superstar: a controlled shot from 45 degree angle, from an attack that follows a long ball by your team. Usually your defense is not yet organised then, so this is also difficult to defend against.

Superstar is ruthless, but I guess that's part of the lure.

Last edited:
You really don't know how much into this challenge I am. After every match I'm like "alright then, I weant to play another one right now". :D
I actually finished also Group C, I'm uploading the first one right now... This afternoon I'll be tackling at least two quarter-finals, I can't wait! :APPLAUD:

Glad to hear you're having fun! Pretty excited myself to get the matches going again, but too many things on the plate today. But tomorrow...

It looks like you might be done with the challenge before the real Copa begins. That would leave you more time to watch the matches.

Yeah, it was a great idea to join this challenge, I really can't stop playing, actually the thing holding me back is my Internet not being good enough to upload the highlights at the right "pace" (currently the last two matches of Group C are being uploaded but I'm just stomping my feet to play the QF's)...
You might aswell rename this topic to "The addictive offline Copa América 2015 challenge". :BOP:

I'd like to join you guys but I think I'm a bit too late?

I like this since it adds an online twist to my offline challenges.

Nice. I guess I'm going to have to start right from the beginning?

This gives me reason to play PES now as I haven't touched it for a while.

EDIT: Also just a little suggestion if the OP doesn't mind since it's his challenge; Shouldn't someone playing on manual controls get an extra point or 2 each game? I think it would add that little challenge/risk to get the extra points, and if we just want to play it safe we stick to assisted, so no bonuses. Also makes it fair to whoever uses manual. What do you think?

Last edited:

Your timing is perfect, since the real Copa begins next week.

Also just a little suggestion if the OP doesn't mind since it's his challenge; Shouldn't someone playing on manual controls get an extra point or 2 each game? I think it would add that little challenge/risk to get the extra points, and if we just want to play it safe we stick to assisted, so no bonuses. Also makes it fair to whoever uses manual. What do you think?

Great idea. Difficult to quantity, though, since there are different levels of assistance. In last year's WC challenge this idea was sort of implemented: the initial levels were different for full manual and assisted players, and the final scores were differences between next levels and the initial level. This year I thought everyone would be mostly playing against themselves.

I am playing on full manual, as is also *aLe, I think. You Lami planning to play on assisted or manual?

I thought I had already posted this from my GF's laptop a couple of hours ago... Well, nevermind :DRUNK:

PES 2015 COPA AMERICA CHALLENGE - DAY 3 - GROUP C
Aaaaand there comes another upset: Colombia is out of the tournament.
Brazil managed to go through as they finished top of the table thanks to an immense Neymar, so did Venezuela and Peru.
Colombia failed to qualify for the playoffs, so...
Bye bye Ibarbo and friends, I didn't expect to see you go this early but that's football. :BYE:

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: COLOMBIA - PERU
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
PLAYING AS: COLOMBIA (stronger)
RESULT: 2-1 LOSS
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: PW (lower)
When Peru hit the post at the beginning I realized this wasn't going to be the walk in the park I expected.
Not that Colombia didn't create chances, it's just that Peru managed to use their (fewer) ones way better.
After Pizarro's goal at the end of the first half, Colombia tried to fight back and got the equalizer with a long ranger by Sanchez that went in in the bottom corner, but Pizarro wasn't done there.ùWith ten minutes to go, Pizarro received a good ball, fooled Zuniga, moved the ball towards the centre and shot towards the backpost. That's the 2-1 goal that allowed Peru to go through at the expense of Colombia.

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: BRAZIL - VENEZUELA
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: PW
PLAYING AS: VENEZUELA (weaker)
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: PW (same)
This has been a match with two different faces.
The first part saw Venezuela dominating and reaching a 2-0 lead, then it was time for another episode of the Neymar show.
A brace to make it 2-2, and he could have also scored the 3-2 goal with a wonderful finesse shot that ended out for, well, just a couple of inches.
Luckily enough for Venezuela, that didn't go in and the 2-2 draw was enough for both them and Brazil to progress to the knockout stage.

OVERVIEW - DAY 3
2SRpodD.png

These are the final standings adter the group stage.
We're asying goodbye to Ecuador and to Jamaica, but most notably we had to say goodbye to Colombia and to the 2011 finalists Paraguay.
Not exactly what I expected when I started the challenge.

I managed to fulfill my goal, 75% passing ratio at the end of the group stage it is:
AVLojHp.png
Let's see how far we can bring that value in the playoffs, which will feature these matches:

SwHUArZ.png

Seeing the pace at which I'm playing, I would be probably done by the start of the real Copa... But nothing forbids you to play the challenge while the real Copa progresses. :))

I am playing on full manual, as is also *aLe, I think. You Lami planning to play on assisted or manual?
Yeah, manual player here (without advanced through ball, though).
Also I still have the visual aids on during corners and free kicks (planning to turn them off, but like for advanced through ball I'd wait for the challenge to be over).

I'm used to assisted actually. I've tried different settings before but was always frustrated. But for a challenge like this I might want to go manual if I'm desperate for the extra points :THINK:

Also, I'm really enjoying reading the posts here and watching the vids. Since I've never uploaded highlights from my PS4 before, is it straight-forward?

EDIT: My only manual setting is for through balls.

EDIT 2: Well, using sharefactory for the first time for 2 long clips, I tried to join both halves which ended nicely, until when I tried importing to gallery and was hit with the no loner than 15 mins message, lol. Ended up uploading this in 2 different clips; 1 for each half. Sorry for uploading the whole match and not just highlights as it would take more effort going through the clip again and choosing the best bits for highlights. Clips coming soon to whoever's interested!

EDIT 3: This uploading business is taking quite a while. Almost 2 hours for each half. I like the idea but this long time is kind of turning me off uploading.

Last edited:
EDIT 3: This uploading business is taking quite a while. Almost 2 hours for each half. I like the idea but this long time is kind of turning me off uploading.
I feel your pain.
It would usually take me 4 to 5 hours from the end of a match to the moment its video is available on YouTube for watching (in which the first 15 minutes are for loading the Raptr video in MovieMaker, the following 45 minutes go into cutting/editing it into a "highlights-wannabe" kind of video, and the rest is just spent uploading the result to YouTube). :CRY:

May God be with you :D

I took the lazier route and just uploaded the whole game :LOL:

EDIT: 2nd half added to post above ^, finally :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom