The adaptive offline Copa América 2015 challenge

Lami,

your JAM-URU. Relaxed, controlled play, with a great header goal. A pleasure to watch.

Nice trailer!

*aLe,

BOL-CHI: Now that's what a semi should look like. What a battle. And another double save.

ARG-BRA: It's admirable to keep a clean sheet against Messi and co. Impressive defensive work. And that move by Neymar... What did I just mention about tricks?

Looking forward to your finals.

ARG-BRA: It's admirable to keep a clean sheet against Messi and co.
Brazil is something monstrous in this game.
Thiago Silva was really a wall, no surprise they started becoming dangerous when Thiago Silva's performance dropped a little.

But this is the time, let's see how the battle for the third place went...

Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: BOLIVIA - ARGENTINA
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
PLAYING AS: ARGENTINA (STRONGER)
RESULT: 4-1 WIN
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW (higher)
A deluded Argentina and a more than happy Bolivia faced each other for the third place.
The all-green Bolivia took the kick-off but it was obviously Argentina trying to control the match: during minute 5, Enzo Perez found Messi with a perfect pass: Messi one-on-one with the keeper only had to finesse it in the back of the net. One-nil.
Bolivia again showed a great heart by trying to come back, they really deserve some applauses.
But a great ball won back by Mascherano allowed Messi to find 'El Pipita' Higuain who bolted the ball past Arias. 2-0 at minute 40.
Then, came the best moment of the match. Moreno, the almighty Moreno that many times made me happy, scored against me.
I have to say I felt happy for him and even a little proud.
During the second half I must admit I had another special moment when I managed to make one of my favourite players score. Yep, Javier Mascherano scored the 3-1 goal.
And then, well, could I control Messi and not have him score too? 4-1, game over.
I feel happy for Bolivia, it's a team that I started to like during this challenge and I'm really glad they made it to the semifinals (and nearly into the final, if I only knew how to take penalties). Unfortunately, Argentina were just too strong.

Boy, does your challenge reach the peak at the end: playing at the highest difficulty level controlling the home team of the tournament!

Hmm... I think you wrote that you have a slow internet connection. Otherwise I would have requested that you post the entire match, without telling us the result. That way we could have experienced the full excitement of the match.

Maybe you could hide the result when you post your extended highlights?

I will watch your match for the third place later today.

Boy, does your challenge reach the peak at the end: playing at the highest difficulty level controlling the home team of the tournament!
Hmm... I think you wrote that you have a slow internet connection. Otherwise I would have requested that you post the entire match, without telling us the result. That way we could have experienced the full excitement of the match.
Maybe you could hide the result when you post your extended highlights?
I will watch your match for the third place later today.
Yeah sure I can spoiler everything (analysis included) and post the match without the result.
Unfortunately you remember right: I have a slow connection when it comes to uploading so it would take me something like 16 hours to upload an entire match :(

But before the "real" Copa starts...

yn4BqXX.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ktrsbi8fg
Stats for the challenge:
MATCH: CHILE - BRAZIL
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
PLAYING AS: CHILE (weaker)
RESULT: 0-3 LOSS
NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS (lower)
Match Analysis:
Xv2fpMZ.png

nTEN9GD.png

Soon I'll post all the "next match" values and the total/average score (even if I don't really care that much about the score, I just cared about the fun I had while playing this).

Last edited:
And these are the stats for anyone who's curious:
sVU4yxw.png

* I should have played the match as Paraguay (I was expected to play TW yet I played TS as I didn't check which team was ranked better). Two points deducted from the rpevious match
** I lost on penalties, yet I treated this as a draw as that was the result after 120' (I progressed to the following match before reading James' take on the subject).

It looks like I found the difficulty level that's right for me, and it is Top Player.
Superstar is challenging and all, but eventually it becomes too difficult and pretty frustrating at times. Top Player is the one that brought the best balance between fun and difficulty. :))

G4IpJlt.png
I couldn't get the "passes completed" stat better than this, unfortunately.
Especially in key moments I still tend to misplace/mishit some passes, yet it's the fun and randomness of manual controls.

I'll keep on following the thread and cmmenting on your matches guys, I wish you all the best!

And James, thanks again for the fun you provided me by sharing this challenge. :BYE:

Last edited:
Lol you already finished it! Well done!

Btw, I play with green arrows for all teams, and was thinking of only giving Chile red arrows since they're playing home. What do you guys think?

*aLe,

watched both of your finals last night.

Bronze match. Bolivia was hanging on for the first half, then you left them in the dust. Real powergoals. That 1-4 goal... Isn't controlling Messi so much fun when you don't do it on a regular basis? Not only did he destroy the defense, but he left absolutely no chance to the keeper. At superstar, playing full manual, 1-4 always shows that you played an excellent match.

The final. Will remembered by future generations for two things in particular: Neymar, and those Chilean sliding tackles. The first half was tight, and both teams had their chances. Then superstar showed its effectiveness. But those tackles! Had I been in the same defensive situations, the result would have been 7-0 with some penalties thrown in.

BTW, did you play with the default Chilean offensive formation?

In general I really like your offensive style: looking for space, dribbling, runs, with a few tricks to spice things up. The spectator never knows what is going to happen next.

Also, we have greatly enjoyed your first-class highlight videos and other presentations, including the professional playoff trees.

I am glad you liked the challenge. This challenge will end in early July. Let me know if you might be interested in another one. I want to keep playing before the next season begins, and I could get some ideas.

@Lami: might be a good idea, but I'm afraid it would take away something that happens during real matches (like players having a bad day).

@James: Thanks. Argentina is another team that provides great joy when used.
Messi can be dangerous in any place at any time, just like Neymar.
I never tried to use them together in the full game (I only tried them a couple of times with the demo but I wasn't good enough probably and never clicked with them at the time), but now I know I'll have to play a couple of matches as Barcelona.

About the final, yes, it was Chile's default offensive formation. Side backs turning into side midfielders when I needed them were the main advantage of it.
And also Medel in the centre of the defense hepled keeping me a little more relaxed (but you see how it ended anyway).
I must admit that I like making that kind of tackles and that I got to learn by heart during the first match (when I decided not to take down an opponent who then proceeded to score against me) that a sliding tackle could save you a goal sometimes.
On top of that, I've been also lucky as some of the challenges could have easily been fouls (see the semifinal between Argentina and Brazil), but referees didn't notice them.

Thanks for the kind words about the style of play, I usually tend to tiki-taka the ball wherever I need it to go but it wasn't always possible in this challenge.
So I resorted to crosses at times (even if they're not that dangerous usually) or to the occasional skill move (for two or three successgful skill moves shown in the videos, there are probably twenty or thirty that didn't end that well).
I even resorted to keepball when I felt it was the case (during the last part of Uruguay - Paraguay for example, yet they scored anyway).

I'll follow your challenge and Lami's one now, thanks again because I enjoyed this one a lot.
By the way, it also helped me to find a difficulty level that is suitable for me: Top player brings the right enjoyment with a fair amount of challenge.

And if you have any ideas for another challenge, well, they will surely be welcome. :)

Last edited:
Now that the real tournament has begun, I will also play all matches with a delay of one day. I'm using the Pesgalaxy patch with squads and tactics adapted to the real tournament by myself.

The first match showed the ugly side of the CPU:
Match1_zpsjzsbu1yx.jpg

,----
| MATCH: CHI-ECU
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
| MY TEAM: CHI
| RESULT: 0-1
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: PW
`----

Btw, I play with green arrows for all teams, and was thinking of only giving Chile red arrows since they're playing home. What do you guys think?

On one hand that makes sense to me. On the other hand, one thing I really like about this challenge is the possibility to turn off player emotions, which gets rid of some completely unrealistic situations. I am playing La Liga at the same time, and I just had a pair of cup matches where at home I found the opponent easy to control, but away I felt like I was playing against Real Madrid (it was a three star team).

So it's easy to overdo the home team advantage, and vanilla PES does it on a regular basis.

majuh, welcome on board.

Now that the real tournament has begun, I will also play all matches with a delay of one day. I'm using the Pesgalaxy patch with squads and tactics adapted to the real tournament by myself.

The first match showed the ugly side of the CPU:
Match1_zpsjzsbu1yx.jpg

,----
| MATCH: CHI-ECU
`----

Welcome aboard!

,----
| MATCH: CHI-BOL
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
| RESULT: draw 0-0
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SS
`----

This match would have ended 4-4 had it not been for the excellent keepers.

I had at least five 1-1s with the Bolivian keeper. Once Sanches missed the back post by centimetres. The other attempts were denied by the keeper.

On the other hand, the Bolivians were super dangerous inside the box. Half a dozen good opportunities.

Interesting. No video then?

My Argentina v Paraguay is on the way, just needs uploading. It's the most hectic game I've played so far. Both keepers were good and I think Romero saved them on a couple occasions. Their first goal was such a silly mistake on my part due to me not seeing the player. Anyway, hope you enjoy it when it's up and ready :)

Oh and I've played it on +1 speed. That wasn't intentional at all! I was testing +1 on a different game and forgot to change it lol. It was so bizarre it was stressful trying to control my defense! It did improve reactions though but I'd have liked it a bit slower. I think I'd be better off with something like +0.5 speed. But we don't have that so..

Last edited:
My second match is over, and Professional is simply too easy:
Match2_zpsk40pkkyz.jpg

,----
| MATCH: MEX-BOL
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: PW
| MY TEAM: BOL
| RESULT: 0-3
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TS
`----

Apart from the score, everything else seems balanced between you two. You took you chances well. See you in Top Player then ;)

My Argentina v Paraguay video is here! Actually it was ready for many hours now but I forgot to put it on here and fell asleep lol.

----
| MATCH: Argentina v Paraguay
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
| MY TEAM: Paraguay
| RESULT: 2-2
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: TW
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxlupelVqvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mIhTKjErr8

This time I tried a different approach. I went pressuring Argentina from the get go. Then calmed down a bit and tried to defend but it was harder in this game considering I forgot the game speed on +1 in addition to them being Argentina! Did a few mistakes here and there which were costly. Best of all though, the score (don't click if you don't want to know it before watching)
ended just like the real game today! This reminded me of the old days when I used to play predict games right before the real ones and would get a lot of them right which made PES/WE seem more real to me.

Best of all though, the score (don't click if you don't want to know it before watching)
ended just like the real game today! This reminded me of the old days when I used to play predict games right before the real ones and would get a lot of them right which made PES/WE seem more real to me.
I'm watching it right now (Gazzetta TV broadcasts all the matches "live" here in Italy and then re-broadcasts them the morning after) as I was out of home yesterday night...

I shouldn't have opened that spoiler. But I'm too curious.
Fun fact (again, do not open the spoiler if you haven't watched the match yet):
At the end of the first half the Italian commentator said "as the time progresses, Argentina seem more and more impossible to reach for Paraguay". :FAIL:

By the way, I would have done the same thing for the first goal: FKs are too easy, they remind me about PES5 where I was able to score at least one per match. Now they are even easier, but you usually get less fouls.
By the way, I would've done the same thing also in the occasion of the equalizer. I'm not a player that likes to clear the ball as far as possible in danger, I use to short-pass it out of danger even resorting to the keeper if needed.
Glad to see you managed to score on a corner, I don't seem to be able to do so. Never.
And then, well, the 2-2 goal is somehow typical PES. They had you drag your CB out of position and then El Pocho exploited the space there was.

Last edited:
I'm watching it right now (Gazzetta TV broadcasts all the matches "live" here in Italy and then re-broadcasts them the morning after) as I was out of home yesterday night...

I shouldn't have opened that spoiler. But I'm too curious.
Fun fact (again, do not open the spoiler if you haven't watched the match yet):
At the end of the first half the Italian commentator said "as the time progresses, Argentina seem more and more impossible to reach for Paraguay". :FAIL:

By the way, I would have done the same thing for the first goal: FKs are too easy, they remind me about PES5 where I was able to score at least one per match. Now they are even easier, but you usually get less fouls.
By the way, I would've done the same thing also in the occasion of the equalizer. I'm not a player that likes to clear the ball as far as possible in danger, I use to short-pass it out of danger even resorting to the keeper if needed.
Glad to see you managed to score on a corner, I don't seem to be able to do so. Never.
And then, well, the 2-2 goal is somehow typical PES. They had you drag your CB out of position and then El Pocho exploited the space there was.

Omg yes! That crap! :LOL: I picked the first guy who I stupidly drifted upwards, I got the angles all wrong lol. But then I tried switching to the other guy who was closer and it just wouldn't register. I click and click and nothing, and by then it was too late, goal. :(

And lol at the Italian commentator :LOL:

Last edited:
Interesting. No video then?

So far I have only saved 1 min clips of goals. Might have time to do more extensive highlight vids in the playoffs stage.

Your PAR-ARG. Intensive. And not only because of +1. Excellent match. Exemplary pressing.

Match 3 was an easy win:
Match3_zps4gjtlh8d.jpg

,----
| MATCH: URU-JAM
| MY TEAM: URU
| RESULT: 3-0
`----

I also managed to "predict" the correct result of match 4, even with the goals in the correct order:
Match4_zpsnit2ysph.jpg

,----
| MATCH: ARG-PAR
| MY TEAM: PAR
`----

Great idea James. I started playing today, had 2 games and here are the results:

MATCH: CHI-ECU
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL:TS
| MY TEAM:CHI
| RESULT:0-3

MATCH: MEX-BOL
| MY TEAM:BOL
| RESULT:1-3
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL:TS

Also, for anyone playing on PC, I recommend this Copa America patch with updated rosters, kits, etc:

http://www.pesmodders.net/parche-pesmodders-pes2015-version-1-0/

I also managed to "predict" the correct result of match 4, even with the goals in the correct order:
Match4_zpsnit2ysph.jpg

,----
| MATCH: ARG-PAR
| MY TEAM: PAR
`----

That's crazy isn't it! :D

Great idea James. I started playing today, had 2 games and here are the results:

MATCH: CHI-ECU
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL:TS
| MY TEAM:CHI
| RESULT:0-3

MATCH: MEX-BOL
| MY TEAM:BOL
| RESULT:1-3
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL:TS

Also, for anyone playing on PC, I recommend this Copa America patch with updated rosters, kits, etc:

http://www.pesmodders.net/parche-pesmodders-pes2015-version-1-0/

You guys are lucky :(

Aaaand I just got hammered for the first time. Rodriguez went all Ronaldo on me. Either that or I was totally shit and not concentrating enough!

----
| MATCH: Colombia v Venezuela
| MY TEAM: Venezuela
| RESULT: 4-1
`----

The hammering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2c7Gz56738

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieXtloYLeQ

I tried... and tried... and tried... and just nothing wanted to go in. But something happened, and I jumped out punching the air like I won the match, haha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On to the next game. This was much easier. I thought I was too messy with this one. Because I played with a better team, I was more careless and carefree. Always running at the opposition.

----
| MATCH: Brazil v Peru
| MY TEAM: Brazil
| RESULT: 2-1
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9rEGz2NcM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWiyIq2bRo4

Casemiro is a beast in the middle.

Last edited:
Aaaand I just got hammered for the first time. Rodriguez went all Ronaldo on me. Either that or I was totally shit and not concentrating enough!
Wow that move on the 3-0 goal. It's not a matter of being concentrated there, skill moves if done properly are unpredictable and very hard to defend against (unless you decide to give away a foul).

About BRA-PER:
It looks like you got another result right :BLEH:

Haha yes! I'm the new Paul the octopus :LOL:

This isn't new to me tbh. Back on the PS2 I used to play tons of prediction games on PES right before a real game and PES got many of them right. It was freaky.

I. Just. Tore. Uruguay. A. New. One.

:D

Coming soon!

EDIT: Went back to play on 0 speed again because I felt +1 was too hectic for me, but it felt so slow in comparison. I wish there was something in between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRhJk7luAQI

,----
| MATCH: MEX-ECU
| MY TEAM: MEX
| RESULT: draw 2-2
`----

For Mexico, the match begins as well as it can. Two runs through, and soon it's 2-0. For the first half Mexico dominates the match. At the beginning of the second half there's a third through ball as well, and the Mexicans are thinking that this is too easy. They try to cherish the moment, and miss the chance.

And then the inevitable happens. Pressure starts to mount on them. They change their defensive style, try to be more active, which actually makes them less effective. And prone to make mistakes.

So Ecuador make a comeback. First there is a huge defensive hassle which ends in a penalty. 2-1. And then the good old through ball to the box after a clearance. 2-2, and the Ecuadorians rejoice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ls5851w7Gc

,----
| MATCH: URU-PAR
| MY TEAM: URU
| RESULT: win 3-2
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
`----

You have a bunch of Uruguayans on the pitch. And then you have Count Suarez among them. He was involved in all Uruguayan goals in this match, finishing two of them. His ball retention is so high that you can just squeeze him through the defense.

To be honest, except for Suarez, Paraguay was probably the better of the two teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PsqZW09a3I

,----
| MATCH: ARG-JAM
| DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
| MY TEAM: JAM
| RESULT: loss 2-1
`----

For a moment there at the end of the video you thought Jamaica was going to equalise, didn't you? So did I. :)

During the first minutes of the match Jamaica lays the groundwork for a real surprise by scoring first. This is a short joy, since Argentina equalises from the kick off. Great.

Very basic defensive errors by Jamaica, and the same thing in the second goal. Overly active defending, pulling defenders from the line. That's what you should get if you play like that against superstar. Very educative.

Towards the end Jamaica takes slightly gamey tactics in use, shamelessly utilising the extra space left by the defensive AI. They get a lot of shots - final shot count 17-17 - but they fall.

An excellent match.

And now... Following the Ecuador - Bolivia match live!
VAMOS BOLIVIAAAA!!!
GOL GOL GOL GOL GOOOOOL!!!

Sorry, I got somehow attached to them during the challenge :LMAO:

EDIT: TWO NIL!!!!

EDIT AGAIN: MARCELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :GSCARF::GSCARF::GSCARF:

Last edited:
So, I managed to achieve two more correct results...

Match5_zpsz2hr1blw.jpg

,----
| MATCH: COL-VEN
| MY TEAM: VEN
`----

Match6_zpsdqywdopd.jpg

,----
| MATCH: BRA-PER
| MY TEAM: BRA
| NEXT DIFFICULTY LEVEL: SW
`----

,----
| MATCH: Ecuador vs Bolivia
| MY TEAM: Bolivia
`----

This game depressed me. Felt hard done by, but maybe I'm being biased. Felt like I controlled the game and played really well and missed some easy chances. They wouldn't go in.
Then Ecuador goes and scores 2 :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66aESRCek0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZXscFLAiWc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

And because of the result of the above game, the following happened. I was angry, upset, hard done by and mad, so in this game I was too erratic and aggressive, something you should never do when playing PES. You'll just play with no concentration and no fun, just infuriated and wanting to core goals quick and being mad at everything.
Even though I did win, but I still wasn't happy. So I thought ok, I know the Bolivia game got me upset, but I should calm down now, this won't be fun if I continue. So, on to the result then.

,----
| MATCH: Chile vs Mexico
| MY TEAM: Chile
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqnmSyAfsCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__DDe0JwOb4

Back
Top Bottom