The Evo-Web Football Thoughts Blog

FA Cup quarter final approaches. Time for us to spoil the party
Hold your horses fella, Liverpool are much stronger than you, the only advantage you have in this tie is the home advantage. You United fans kinda remind me of Aris fans here in Greece, they haven't won the cup in over 50 years yet every year they're like "the cup is ours".

Hold your horses fella, Liverpool are much stronger than you, the only advantage you have in this tie is the home advantage. You United fans kinda remind me of Aris fans here in Greece, they haven't won the cup in over 50 years yet every year they're like "the cup is ours".
I realise they are a stronger team. It’s called optimism fella

I realise they are a stronger team. It’s called optimism fella
It's called delusion ;) I just got back from Greece, Athens. First time in Greece. Lovely place and people and God damn the history and views.. Anyway, I'm betting on Liverpool, literally!

It's called delusion ;) I just got back from Greece, Athens. First time in Greece. Lovely place and people and God damn the history and views.. Anyway, I'm betting on Liverpool, literally!
Not sure what your trip to Greece has to do with me being optimistic for United but thanks for sharing.
Well Liverpool are the bookies favourites for sure and the likelihood is that Liverpool should win by quite some margin but this football and also cup knock out so anything can happen. Also my initial post of me saying “spoil the party” is referring to trying to stop them winning the quadruple.

Not sure what your trip to Greece has to do with me being optimistic for United but thanks for sharing.
Well Liverpool are the bookies favourites for sure and the likelihood is that Liverpool should win by quite some margin but this football and also cup knock out so anything can happen. Also my initial post of me saying “spoil the party” is referring to trying to stop them winning the quadruple.
I think he's only mentioned it because i said something about Greece

@PES4eva massive respect for having faith in your team in what looked to be a tough match for Man U before kick off. But don't celebrate yet you'll still get battered by Man City 😆

EDIT: Also fuck yeah Klopp's not getting that quadruple

Man Utd 4 - 3 Liverpool
Not so delusional 😉

@Billy Jov
As I’ve said, anything can happen in football, especially knock out competitions. Again, on paper we should get beat by city but refer to todays match and previous statement.
What a game it was though today. I mean holy f*** it was a classic.

Man Utd 4 - 3 Liverpool
Not so delusional 😉

@Billy Jov
As I’ve said, anything can happen in football, especially knock out competitions. Again, on paper we should get beat by city but refer to todays match and previous statement.
What a game it was though today. I mean holy f*** it was a classic.
I hate Man U with a passion but I hate Liverpool even more than that, so to see Man U steal that result and crush's Liverpool fans' dreams of a quadruple was just so lovely. Still, I wanna see you get battered by Coventry City 😁

I hate Man U with a passion but I hate Liverpool even more than that, so to see Man U steal that result and crush's Liverpool fans' dreams of a quadruple was just so lovely. Still, I wanna see you get battered by Coventry City 😁
What is your team?
Well I’m with you about crushing Liverpool’s fans dreams but I wouldn’t say we stole the game. The majority of the first half was ours and the majority of the second half was liverpools. We played better over extra time so it’s deserved but could have gone either way. Rashford should have won it earlier too. Great match though.

On paper we should beat Coventry but again, anything can happen.

What is your team?
Well I’m with you about crushing Liverpool’s fans dreams but I wouldn’t say we stole the game. The majority of the first half was ours and the majority of the second half was liverpools. We played better over extra time so it’s deserved but could have gone either way. Rashford should have won it earlier too. Great match though.

On paper we should beat Coventry but again, anything can happen.
As I mentioned like two days ago, I am a Man City fan from Greece

As for who "stole" the game, I agree that Manchester United played far better than Liverpool, the reason I say steal, though, is because theoretically you were the underdogs in this tie, nothing to do with your performance on the pitch. Just my English not being good enough so the meaning was kinda lost in translation.

EDIT: turns out it wasn't two days ago, it's close to a week, jeez time flies

As I mentioned like two days ago, I am a Man City fan from Greece

As for who "stole" the game, I agree that Manchester United played far better than Liverpool, the reason I say steal, though, is because theoretically you were the underdogs in this tie, nothing to do with your performance on the pitch. Just my English not being good enough so the meaning was kinda lost in translation.

EDIT: turns out it wasn't two days ago, it's close to a week, jeez time flies
Ah right ok, yes I remember now. I found it odd lol
Well there’s a possibility of a United v City final if both teams progress so that will be quite the occasion.

The difference is that we’ve had the same owners for nearly 2 decades and now someone new has come in and has full control over football operations. Big difference than just replacing the manager every so often.
I think the problem is not in Ten Hag, I think he just doesn't have the players he'd actually succeed with
I mean, I really don't think players like Rashford, Antony, Scott, Dalot and Lindelof are really up to the standard of players you'd expect from United if you saw the squad from the mid 90s to 2010.. and definitely not Ten Hag's type of players if you saw the Ajax teams. I mean, not saying United has to start operating as Ajax but just the profile of players

Its funny because I'm a Barcelona supporter, and it may sound weird but the only club I'd like to get out of their hole and blow apart some Oil/Gas teams from England is.. United, Newcastle were on that list before they got roped in by oil too, the sole reason is.. United and Liverpool to me, should always be England's top clubs... Chelsea is insufferable, and Arsenal is okay but their fanbase is just a little better than Chelsea's. No word on City (despite Guardiola managing them and making them play the way he is)

I don't think any United supporter should settle for what the squad looks like right now, someone like Ten Hag can for sure take United somewhere, but I'm pretty sure he's just not allowed to, United have a pretty decent budget don't they?

I think the problem is not in Ten Hag, I think he just doesn't have the players he'd actually succeed with
I mean, I really don't think players like Rashford, Antony, Scott, Dalot and Lindelof are really up to the standard of players you'd expect from United if you saw the squad from the mid 90s to 2010.. and definitely not Ten Hag's type of players if you saw the Ajax teams. I mean, not saying United has to start operating as Ajax but just the profile of players

Its funny because I'm a Barcelona supporter, and it may sound weird but the only club I'd like to get out of their hole and blow apart some Oil/Gas teams from England is.. United, Newcastle were on that list before they got roped in by oil too, the sole reason is.. United and Liverpool to me, should always be England's top clubs... Chelsea is insufferable, and Arsenal is okay but their fanbase is just a little better than Chelsea's. No word on City (despite Guardiola managing them and making them play the way he is)

I don't think any United supporter should settle for what the squad looks like right now, someone like Ten Hag can for sure take United somewhere, but I'm pretty sure he's just not allowed to, United have a pretty decent budget don't they?

The problem is that we have no choice but to settle until Ratcliffes plan comes to fruition. We’ve had a colossal budget over the years. Every manger since SAF has had a lot of money to spend every year and none of them have either bought the right players or have got the best out of them. Ten Hag has had the money trust me. He did bring in players from Ajax and they’ve all been mediocre or worse. Ten Hag has gone on record saying he is unable to play the way he did with Ajax in the premier league. Finally about the budget, next season will be the first time we won’t be able to just buy everyone due to strict FFP, so we need a clear out.
I agree Manchester Utd and Liverpool should be the top two clubs. They are both the most prestigious. I guess the Barca and Real of England if you want to compare the prestige. Obviously we all play totally different but yeah.

1710813544654.png

Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana Group Stages Are Set! (The Draw was today!)​

Millonarios is in Group E of Libertadores :BSCARF: , against Flamengo of Brazil, Bolivar of Bolivia, and Palestino of Chile! Of course Flamengo is by far and away the favorite, but I think we have a good chance for second, and a place in the final 16! (The top two teams qualify, and the third place team goes up against the winner of each Sudamericana group in the Suda quarters). Even though we aren't amongst the favorites (seriously, it's been forever since a non-Brazilian or a non-Argentinean has been amongst the favorites), I feel like we have a chance to make some noise! But of course, as the old adage says, one match at a time.. :PRAY:

Let's go! :TU: :BSCARF:

Last edited:

I'm fairly sure Ten Hag was given the chance to spend money on signings he wanted. They spent a ton of money in Antony and Van de Beek, both who turned out to be an economic disaster for the club. But obviously there's still a lot of work to do in some positions (like a decent right-back or better CB options).

Also, may I ask, why do you think United and Liverpool should always be England's top clubs? Just curious (I'm obviously a City fan), wouldn't it be more interesting to see other clubs rise to the top? I don't follow Arsenal but I have enjoyed how they've become one of the best clubs in the league in the past two years. Same with the likes of Brighton, or Leicester when they were constantly competing to get into the top4 before getting relegated. It makes things more fun in my opinion.

I'm fairly sure Ten Hag was given the chance to spend money on signings he wanted. They spent a ton of money in Antony and Van de Beek, both who turned out to be an economic disaster for the club. But obviously there's still a lot of work to do in some positions (like a decent right-back or better CB options).

Also, may I ask, why do you think United and Liverpool should always be England's top clubs? Just curious (I'm obviously a City fan), wouldn't it be more interesting to see other clubs rise to the top? I don't follow Arsenal but I have enjoyed how they've become one of the best clubs in the league in the past two years. Same with the likes of Brighton, or Leicester when they were constantly competing to get into the top4 before getting relegated. It makes things more fun in my opinion.
Van De Beek was always a big talent, anyone could see it in him, same with De Ligt, out of their big 3 Talents from that season of 2018 - Frenkie, De Ligt and Van De Beek, VDB has fared the worst and I'm not sure if its really his fault. Solskjaer barely ever played the guy, and I don't think United was the club for him anyway

Antony was straight up a dollar store Raphinha (if you watch him at Barcelona) but worked in the Eredivisie, and I think he's just "worse" in the Premier League due to the level, not that he got worse after stepping foot in England. I am being a bit corny but I think United should target similar profiles to their greatest squads, instead what I see is they run after legitimately anyone who's generated any half buzz in the market without any plan

Also, I don't have a problem with others rising - I meant that in terms of "name" or competing too obviously, like if Sociedad and Bilbao were to start challenging for the title in Spain in some years, I'd have no problem as it'd be good for the league (Sociedad, in fact were trying to do something like that this season - until December/January where they always seem to collapse and leave their good form behind, if they were on the same streak as they were before, they might have edged out PSG in the RO16)

My problem is regarding the ownership, of City of course - same with PSG. I have no problem with City supporters who are supporting the club... before ~2010 even, but anyone post 2012 - or especially after Guardiola - I can't bear them. City supporters for long before all of this - to an extent do deserve to see their team play well and all of this, its just the major issue underlining is the means to it - which is the money and how/where its from.

I don't have a problem with Arsenal as a club - I just said their fanbase is a bit aloof XD. And regarding Leicester, I wish somehow one day they repeat that 2015/16 thing again, its probably already said and done as Impossible, but one can dream. I really like Newcastle as a club too, well, now they're in with the likes of PSG/City, a little less, but glad for their fanbase.. the issue I have just always boils down to the owners. I do think this football bubble of money / inflation will burst one day and everything will suddenly be on Ground Level, but I'm not sure when it's going to happen

Van De Beek was always a big talent, anyone could see it in him, same with De Ligt, out of their big 3 Talents from that season of 2018 - Frenkie, De Ligt and Van De Beek, VDB has fared the worst and I'm not sure if its really his fault. Solskjaer barely ever played the guy, and I don't think United was the club for him anyway

Antony was straight up a dollar store Raphinha (if you watch him at Barcelona) but worked in the Eredivisie, and I think he's just "worse" in the Premier League due to the level, not that he got worse after stepping foot in England. I am being a bit corny but I think United should target similar profiles to their greatest squads, instead what I see is they run after legitimately anyone who's generated any half buzz in the market without any plan

Also, I don't have a problem with others rising - I meant that in terms of "name" or competing too obviously, like if Sociedad and Bilbao were to start challenging for the title in Spain in some years, I'd have no problem as it'd be good for the league (Sociedad, in fact were trying to do something like that this season - until December/January where they always seem to collapse and leave their good form behind, if they were on the same streak as they were before, they might have edged out PSG in the RO16)

My problem is regarding the ownership, of City of course - same with PSG. I have no problem with City supporters who are supporting the club... before ~2010 even, but anyone post 2012 - or especially after Guardiola - I can't bear them. City supporters for long before all of this - to an extent do deserve to see their team play well and all of this, its just the major issue underlining is the means to it - which is the money and how/where its from.

I don't have a problem with Arsenal as a club - I just said their fanbase is a bit aloof XD. And regarding Leicester, I wish somehow one day they repeat that 2015/16 thing again, its probably already said and done as Impossible, but one can dream. I really like Newcastle as a club too, well, now they're in with the likes of PSG/City, a little less, but glad for their fanbase.. the issue I have just always boils down to the owners. I do think this football bubble of money / inflation will burst one day and everything will suddenly be on Ground Level, but I'm not sure when it's going to happen
I do find it interesting that Man Utd have suffered more than most on not moving with the times and putting what could be defined as the correct structure for a modern football club. They obviously suffered with losing one of the greats in Fergie, but I think he was probably one of the last of the 'do it all' managers who controlled many aspects of the club. They've been in limbo ever since, and have up until very recently not looked to put in place all of the background roles and a single 'vision' for the club.

If you compare this to Man City who had a new state of the art stadium / training facilities, brought in Txiki Begiristain as sporting director, brought in Pep who provided the vision that has rippled through not only the first team but all the youth teams, etc. City have identified the formation they want to play, looked at deficiencies in the squad and bought well (bottomless budget put to one side). I distinctly remember that when there was news of Pep joining City, there were rumours that Fergie phoned him up to try and convince him to join Utd. It's a reactionary move that's kind of set the tone for Utd over the past few years.

I find it bizarre that at the time they went and bought Antony / Ven der Beek when at the time they were crying out for upgrades in other positions (namely CB, DM, CF). VdB didn't even naturally fit into their formation at the time!

And just to be completely transparent, I used to go watch Man Utd quite a lot when I was a kid. I just ended up not being able to afford it so started going to watch my local team instead.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/fo...interview-barcelona-football-tiktok-svdr0nj92

I can't stand Piqué and this new "tik-tok football revolution" he's talking about. This is exactly what football doesn't need.
What a clown! 🤡
I mean, its kind of obvious, even at his last few years at Barcelona - he fell out of Football more and leaned more towards his businesses / ventures, this is just another episode of him pushing for stuff related to it. Maybe the 2-8 Drubbing we got pushed him out of it totally..

I do find it interesting that Man Utd have suffered more than most on not moving with the times and putting what could be defined as the correct structure for a modern football club. They obviously suffered with losing one of the greats in Fergie, but I think he was probably one of the last of the 'do it all' managers who controlled many aspects of the club. They've been in limbo ever since, and have up until very recently not looked to put in place all of the background roles and a single 'vision' for the club.

If you compare this to Man City who had a new state of the art stadium / training facilities, brought in Txiki Begiristain as sporting director, brought in Pep who provided the vision that has rippled through not only the first team but all the youth teams, etc. City have identified the formation they want to play, looked at deficiencies in the squad and bought well (bottomless budget put to one side). I distinctly remember that when there was news of Pep joining City, there were rumours that Fergie phoned him up to try and convince him to join Utd. It's a reactionary move that's kind of set the tone for Utd over the past few years.

I find it bizarre that at the time they went and bought Antony / Ven der Beek when at the time they were crying out for upgrades in other positions (namely CB, DM, CF). VdB didn't even naturally fit into their formation at the time!

And just to be completely transparent, I used to go watch Man Utd quite a lot when I was a kid. I just ended up not being able to afford it so started going to watch my local team instead.
I think Mourinho was kind of a fit, at least football wise, not totally, but he kind of had a few qualities to succeed, but I doubt Mourinho can now fully succeed big time anywhere due to 2 things

1. His success and the era it was in, and the type of players there were then - aren't really present anymore in any of the teams he's managed (post Madrid/2nd stint Chelsea)
2. His tactics in general

Other than that, I think they got too complacent just hoping someone will come and things will be back on track meanwhile the Glazers had no clue what to do since Ferguson left, and I don't think any new manager was suited to that kind of environment

City's current Sporting side (and manager) are just plucked out of Barcelona's treble winning sides, so its kind of a no brainer how they're doing so far - provided with the budget that they have.
United are kind of just trying to plug and go along but each time they discovered that their new solution is no solution at all, what they really need is - someone who actually acts upon some of the statements Ratcliffe's been making recently, if he does, then well I guess they'll be headed somewhere , if not, then its just sail on.

Yeah, Ten Hag signing Van De Beek would make sense, but Solskjaer didn't play him and he didn't fit in his formation either. Antony just never impressed me, so I'm not sure what they saw in him to pay...80M? or 100?

Mourinho did wonders with the pile a crap United squad he had.
I still like Ten Hag but I’m not sure how far he’s going to progress this team. I said Southgate would be a good choice of manager a while ago and now he’s being linked. I wouldn’t be upset if we got Southgate.

Mourinho did wonders with the pile a crap United squad he had.
I still like Ten Hag but I’m not sure how far he’s going to progress this team. I said Southgate would be a good choice of manager a while ago and now he’s being linked. I wouldn’t be upset if we got Southgate.
As a Man City fan, I also wouldn't be upset if Southgate managed Man U. It would be hilarious 🤣.

As a Man City fan, I also wouldn't be upset if Southgate managed Man U. It would be hilarious 🤣.
Southgate is one of England’s greatest managers. In fact, his win rate as England manager is only bettered by Fabio Capello who managed for far less games. So technically you could say Southgate is England’s greatest ever manager. It would be a top acquisition. Your logic is the thing that is hilarious.

I remember my friend @mattmid used to say that he felt Southgate was overly cautious, with the best attacking talent ever in the NT, but whenever England went up 1-0 he would take a cautious approach and sit back (costing England the final against Italy)..

Last tournament - World Cup 2022

England 6 - 2 Iran
England 0 - 0 USA
England 3 - 0 Wales
England 3 - 0 Senegal
England 1 - 2 France (Quarter Final)

I suppose you could argue he was a lot more cautious at Euro 2020 (2021) but some would say it’s the reason we got to the final. You can’t always go gung-ho and we all know finals are always generally cagey affairs.

Like I said, Southgate’s win ratio speaks for it’s self. It’s a results game and he’s done extremely well with England.

England are joint favourites alongside France to win Euro 2024 and we’re never the bookies favourites… ever!

Last tournament - World Cup 2022

England 6 - 2 Iran
England 0 - 0 USA
England 3 - 0 Wales
England 3 - 0 Senegal
England 1 - 2 France (Quarter Final)

I suppose you could argue he was a lot more cautious at Euro 2020 (2021) but some would say it’s the reason we got to the final. You can’t always go gung-ho and we all know finals are always generally cagey affairs.

Like I said, Southgate’s win ratio speaks for it’s self. It’s a results game and he’s done extremely well with England.

England are joint favourites alongside France to win Euro 2024 and we’re never the bookies favourites… ever!
I agree. I'm not English but my Twitter feed is mostly PL-related (journalists, etc) and I always see people criticising Southgate. People think that having a good team means he has to win everything, but that's not the case most of the time. He got England to extra-time in a World Cup semi, lost the Euros on penalties and lost to France after his starting striker missed a pen. He is cautious, but he's gotten results that England fans couldn't experience in the 2000s when they also had quite a stacked team.

I agree. I'm not English but my Twitter feed is mostly PL-related (journalists, etc) and I always see people criticising Southgate. People think that having a good team means he has to win everything, but that's not the case most of the time. He got England to extra-time in a World Cup semi, lost the Euros on penalties and lost to France after his starting striker missed a pen. He is cautious, but he's gotten results that England fans couldn't experience in the 2000s when they also had quite a stacked team.
Well said. I think that he’s being linked with the United job only furthers peoples scrutiny of him too. You’re under a microscope as soon as any talk of being United manager arises.

Even though Colombia beat Spain 1-0 yesterday, I'm not a fan of international friendlies..
I've never really seen the point (as a fan, anyway.. of course for the teams there's money to be made, but as a fan I just don't sense the importance), it's very hard for me to get excited for them.

Back
Top Bottom