The Movies Thread

I agree the Hobbit did go downhill each film, the last was a rush job, the whole Smaug thing was done and dusted right away, and then strung out the rest. When it ended it just felt like they had been on a "trip" and then the hobbit took a long walk home after not getting a lift :)

I felt that the Hobbit didnt focus too well on character building through the films just one intro being the first film, not enough focus on characters enough with the other two films.

I also think the actual main story of the mountain as the main focus for the journey wasn't strong or deep enough to warrant three long films.

You cant fault CGI/action etc and mood of the films mind you and the link from Hobbit 3 to seamlessly blend into LOTR1 is a great for a box set. I dont think I will watch hobbit as much as I have repeated LOTR.

Last edited:
i havent enjoyed the Fast and Furious movies since the 3rd one, maybe im too old for this genre now but Furious7's ending is quiet heartwarming. Nice tribute to Paul Walker.

Anyone seen Inherent Vice yet?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1791528/

Many people mixed views, saying its hard to follow and "trippy" .. I followed it and Joaquin Phoenix plays the lead roll (stoner 70's private investigator) to perfection, great music too.

8/10

I saw it and thought it was awful, poor storytelling and it's too long.

Avengers 2 - 7/10

I enjoyed it but it's not as good as the first film.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still the best Marvel film.

I also thought Avengers 2 didn't live up to expectations. Didn't think the main antagonist was menacing enough. Not sure what grade I would give it. Have to see it again.

Watched Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.

I really enjoyed it, I do like LOTR, and thought out of the Hobbit movies this was the best, albeit it's nowhere near the LOTR quality.

8.5/10 - I might have given it an 8, but Evangeline Lily will always add to the score in my book!!

FD

watched Fury yesterday... one of the worst WWII movies i saw...almost felt like an american soldiers propaganda movie...

Whiplash : Didn't like it the first 30 minutes or so, but eventually I got into it, love the finale! Overall, I think it was too focused, it would have been nice to see some normal family scenes, some normal dialogue and thoughts of the protagonist, to make him more sympathetic, to understand him...

Watched this last night and I disagree on your comments about too focused. The point of the entire film is this chap wants to be one of the greats and that needs his entire focus.

Instead we get only this highly focused on playing drums story and all thoughts and dialogue surround that. 7.5/10

The way he ditches his girlfriend and avoids family as all about his focus for his instrument to near breaking point, the film completely reflects that and is purely about a jazz drummer, not some family drama. The films about the instrument so his family dynamic isnt priority, even though in the film it clearly shows how hes not respected over his brother in a dinner scene with family which shows everything you need to know.

Protagonist is well explored in smaller scenes, not sure what film you watched, certainly wasnt the same as mine :)

I give it 9/10.

Last edited:
Decided to re-jig my memory with Godfather, I've saw it many years ago, but don't think I gave it enough attention.

Watched it again, superb film.

9/10

FD

TUSK

in my opinion Smith heavily wounded this movie with
Johnny Depp
's character and with jumping between genres during the whole movie and with
the well lit creature
...but still worth watching it because of the acting in it, because of the bitter love story that he always delivers and because its his most well shot movie today

6/10

GF 1 & 2 are simply incredible movies. Timeless and class.
GF 3.... Oh dear....

Hah, I am going to watch the 3rd.

Can't recall if I have saw it or not.

Watched Guardians of the Galaxy. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was very very funny and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it in the end. I think the comedy value of it actually merited a couple more points than I may have given it, had it not had that tone.

9/10.

FD

Yeah I was hype for Mad Max after the crazy good reviews.

And I was not disappointed, the movie is great indeed! One of the best action movies of the last couple of years, I'd rank it #1 or #2 because I loved The Raid: Redemption.

Mad Max got me hype before and after, I'm still thinking about some scenes, and the non-stop full throttle action is what these last couple of action movies were missing. Mad Max don't try anything cute or funny its just pure awesome, even though some reviews are seeing something deeper in the movie, which is understandable but if you don't see this whole background theory it won't ruin your enjoyment because it does not feel forced and not even necessary for such fuss.

I feel like this movie is important, this is what this generation was missing. No super hero CGI bs trying to be much more than what they are, there is CGI here of course, but everything feels so real.

QB1EGxdf2c0.jpg

Exactly, that's my beef with "Mad Max Fury road" as well, it doesn't even try to tell an interesting story, to build characters or anything, it's just content with showing a single chase and the action surrounding it.

Admittedly the action is entertaining and well produced and the visual desing is awesome and Charlize Theron plays well as Furiosa (the movie should have been called "Mad Furiosa", as Max is merely a sidekick), but imho all that can't make up for the lack of a good story and good character-building. 7/10 (normally even less, but I love good action and love the visual design)

Last edited:
well its a great action movie with 90% practical effects, also it touches serious topics like feminism and manism and how unhealthy both and shows that both sex can only achieve great things by working together

Godzilla - 7.5/10

Was okay, quite liked the more Japanese feel to the movie that it had with their take on what Godzilla was.

Percy Jackson, Sea of Monsters:- 7/10

Okay fun, I liked the first one, although not as good I felt was the sequel.

American Sniper - 7/10

Was alright, it didn't feel to different to a lot of other movies of that genre for me.

Stardust - 7.5/10

Never saw this, decided to give it a watch, enjoyed Robert De Niro in the movie. Wasn't aware Claire Danes was in the movie and knew I noticed Charlie Cox from somewhere (Boardwalk Empire).

FD

I watched Stardust months ago, and then when Daredevil is out I didn't notice that Charlie was in Stardust :D.

The Call.

This actually started off really well, was going along quite the thing for around 60-70m and then as soon as she left that building the whole thing fell apart.

5/10 - It was an 8 or so in the making, but the last quarter/third of the film blew it to bits.

Taxi Driver

Not sure if I ever watched this properly, gave it a go. I found it a good movie, but that was about it. I know it's seen as a classic, but not with me, a good watch, that is all.

7.5/10

FD

Her (2013)

f*ck it, i ...this movie is a perfect 10. i dunno how would i make it better. plot, acting, music, like an actuall cinematography, storywise, characters...10/10. i dunno how could i live without this so far :D

Back
Top Bottom