The Retro-PES Corner

I play it on the same emulator we talked about before, remember? :)

@Lexypoooo There is no super cancel. I believe PES 3 introduced that feature. Another reason why it's so damn challenging. And it's so unresponsive too, there is a delay that depends on how fast your player is running and his stats: the more technical he is the more responsive he will be. Not to forget the realistic inertia that makes it really difficult to dribble. Passing is difficult as hell too, first touch pass cannot be played always, you need to have space and time to pull it off.

@Meazza84 Thanks. PES 2 actually has super cancel (although a little less consistent and refined than later implementations), so looks like PES 1 was the final one to not have it at all. I'm down for the challenge though because I absolutely loved ISS Pro Evo 2. Don't think I've ever played PES 1 tbh as we were too poor to get a PS2 upon initial release and PES 2 was the first next gen one I tried.

I don't remember playing it before either. I thought the game was just a nicer looking iss pro evo, but I was wrong. It has a completely different gameplay to everything I have played. I actually don't like it, bu it's a great challenge to me so I must play it.

My only complaints that I've noticed after finishing all the group stage games now is that the game has a touch of AI "ninja dribbling" - When they turn it on it can be literally impossible to tackle them despite it making perfect sense for them to lose the ball.

Easy, install the last patch of PES 2012 and use last jenkey gameplay tool to reduce (or even remove) IA cheat with his tool.
The IA is now, normal

@MafiaMurderBag @Madmac79 Hmm, now I have to try 12 as well then! I'm aiming to put the defaults in 13 as a team if I can't overwrite them in the editor.

@Meazza84 As a PC player I'd never really seen that before - is that on an emulator? I'm guessing it must be? The more you play these retro PES's you get to thinking Konami would have been better off leaving it alone and just updating the database and graphics each year instead!

Sure, it's on an emulator called PCSX2. There are only a couple of videos on youtube featuring the first PES.

@geeeeee some great CPU goals there, the kind you can only applaud really. Third one was the icing on the cake. Great unselfish awareness for the assist and then a perfectly placed finish from distance. Reminds me of when Busquets scores a rare goal, how he calmly almost passes it in with perfect weight and precision. At least you got a little revenge in the next match.

Yeh that goal was the best. As I said it really took me by surprise because i wasnt expecting him lay it off.

That third goal was very human like play from the AI wasn't it. Great awareness to roll it back for the strike and a lovely guided finish.

He could barely see the box from where he went down :LOL:

:LOL: i actually felt sorry for Huddersfield and their fans because it was completely against the run of play and then the free kick afterwards killed the match.

I know i keep harping about this game but to me it is the best AI in PS2 PES. It is very human like, so unpredictable, and i am only playing on regular difficulty.

PES6 is running WAY too fast on my machine.. does anybody had the same problem? I haven't changed anything on the game, It was ok before...

PES6 is running WAY too fast on my machine.. does anybody had the same problem? I haven't changed anything on the game, It was ok before...
Better than stuttering, input lag, screen tearing, frame drops etc. I've just been fixing those issues on a new install and finally got it running smooth. How fast are you talking, like double speed match fast? Did you change your screen refresh rate?

The funtimes keep coming on the PS2 version on PES 2011.

I'm so glad I gave this another go on a CRT rather than a HDTV because it's more than holding up. I've scored and conceded all kinds of goals - long-rangers, chips, deflections, O.Gs, headers, penalties, free kicks...

I even had a first, a goal that went in off the bar TWICE! This was in a DIv 2 match. A low cross in and my striker smashed his shot against the underside of the bar with such venom that in bounced back up off the line before finally going in off the bar. I did video it but CRT screens are not pretty when captured.

What's even more compelling is that I am going to be stuck in Div 2 yet again. I really thought this was going to be the promotion season after five attempts, having started out with the defaults. I slightly messed up the transfer window which has left my squad a bit threadbare so, despite a good start, I'm in the bottom half again with six games to go.

I have wage cap in operation and I only sign players who are without a club so this and one of the most ruthless AIs I have ever come across in a PES is keeping things very interesting indeed.

Like any PES, the big test will be how this ML plays when I eventually get up to the top division and in the fully licensed Champions League with the big boys. At this stage though I am very happy to report that this lost PS2 PES is proving to be an absolute classic.

Might be worth trying this http://enbdev.com/download_convertor_dx8todx9.htm choose the one called v0.0036 to download.

It works to stop stuttering on PES6 in Win10
please u can help me ?! ;(
I downloaded this (dx8todx9 and convertor)
And put them where the game is located, and then I tried to open the game and it occurred to me an error "the code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_43. dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem"
what to do please ???

Amazing video @Meazza84. I totally missed PES1 on the PS2: played a whole lot of ISS Pro Evo, then missed ISS PE2, borrowed PES1 PS1 from a friend - and the game was so good than 20 years later I haven't returned it...- and jumped straight on to PES2 on the PS2. From what I can tell from your video, it seems to play a lot like the glorious ISS Pro Evolution, kind of a graphically improved version of that gameplay (which served as the base for every PS1 ISS/PES after its release). I've been playing a lot of PES2 recently and though I can spot a good number of new animations and much-improved graphics, it plays significantly faster than what your PES1 gameplay shows. It seems to fall in line with the concept we've spotted here on the Corner of Konami going back and forth between fast-paced football (eg.: PES4) to a more slow-paced simulation (PES5), rinse and repeat (PES6).

From what I can tell from your video, it seems to play a lot like the glorious ISS Pro Evolution, kind of a graphically improved version of that gameplay (which served as the base for every PS1 ISS/PES after its release).

Not sure if you've ever seen or heard of MLS ExtraTime? That's precisely what that is.

PES was ever so slightly more refined. It holds a place in my heart for the most memorable game of PES I've ever had. Me (Sweden) versus my mate (Brazil), Yokohama Stadium under the floodlights. I won 3-2 and it was stunning. Nineteen-years-on-and-I-can-still-remember-it stunning.

Yeah I've played it. It's about the only PS2 game I've managed to run on an emulator without my laptop letting me down!

It's very... American. But it's supposed to be. And I think it plays well as I do - like you - love the PS1 (ISS) Pro Evo games.

The most appealing thing about it? Scenarios! Why oh why they don't feature in every football game I don't know. Where have they appeared? Other than the N64 ISS games and ExtraTime? Anyone?

I'm on the same boat: most of the PS2 games I tried lag immensely here too. Probably the game's PS1-like graphics help a bit!
I do remember the FIFA World Cup 2010 game having scenarios (realistic ones actually); for example you could replay that infamous France vs. Ireland playoff match and qualify Ireland to the WC, among many others of course.

Have you tried ExtraTime's Season mode? I read somewhere that one could perform trades, much like on the real MLS. That could add more depth to the game, I thought it was just your regular League mode kind of platform.

please u can help me ?! ;(
I downloaded this (dx8todx9 and convertor)
And put them where the game is located, and then I tried to open the game and it occurred to me an error "the code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_43. dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem"
what to do please ???

I've never seen that error before, have you tried removing the files and starting the game again, does it work again then?

Here's all I have in my pes6 folder if you want to compare...

FILES.JPG

I've never seen that error before, have you tried removing the files and starting the game again, does it work again then?

Here's all I have in my pes6 folder if you want to compare...

Thanks for the help, I managed to install but there is a problem - the game does not stutter anymore but it does flicker with the color ...
any solution please :(

Amazing video @Meazza84. I totally missed PES1 on the PS2: played a whole lot of ISS Pro Evo, then missed ISS PE2, borrowed PES1 PS1 from a friend - and the game was so good than 20 years later I haven't returned it...- and jumped straight on to PES2 on the PS2. From what I can tell from your video, it seems to play a lot like the glorious ISS Pro Evolution, kind of a graphically improved version of that gameplay (which served as the base for every PS1 ISS/PES after its release). I've been playing a lot of PES2 recently and though I can spot a good number of new animations and much-improved graphics, it plays significantly faster than what your PES1 gameplay shows. It seems to fall in line with the concept we've spotted here on the Corner of Konami going back and forth between fast-paced football (eg.: PES4) to a more slow-paced simulation (PES5), rinse and repeat (PES6).

Let me assure you that it is nothing like ISS Pro Evolution at all, even though it might look that way when you watch the video. It is so different that I have no idea how to play this damn thing at all. The passing system is so different; the dribbling system is so weird that I don't know where to begin (the players can run in 4 different speeds!), the inertia is appalling, the physicality is devastating.

The funtimes keep coming on the PS2 version on PES 2011.

I'm so glad I gave this another go on a CRT rather than a HDTV because it's more than holding up. I've scored and conceded all kinds of goals - long-rangers, chips, deflections, O.Gs, headers, penalties, free kicks...

I even had a first, a goal that went in off the bar TWICE! This was in a DIv 2 match. A low cross in and my striker smashed his shot against the underside of the bar with such venom that in bounced back up off the line before finally going in off the bar. I did video it but CRT screens are not pretty when captured.

What's even more compelling is that I am going to be stuck in Div 2 yet again. I really thought this was going to be the promotion season after five attempts, having started out with the defaults. I slightly messed up the transfer window which has left my squad a bit threadbare so, despite a good start, I'm in the bottom half again with six games to go.

I have wage cap in operation and I only sign players who are without a club so this and one of the most ruthless AIs I have ever come across in a PES is keeping things very interesting indeed.

Like any PES, the big test will be how this ML plays when I eventually get up to the top division and in the fully licensed Champions League with the big boys. At this stage though I am very happy to report that this lost PS2 PES is proving to be an absolute classic.

Sounds like you are having a tough time in Division 2. It's great though because when you finally get promoted you really feel like you have achieved something. There are so many Goals (not talking about scoring) in this game, promotion, cup, stay up, get into europa league, win it, get into champions league, win it, win the league. I know that it is the same with all footy games but in retro PES the sense of achievement is so much better.

How is the training in PES2011?

Here are my next 2 matches in my ML.

First up is Matchday 6 at home to 2nd placed Fulham.

Canvey 2 Fulham 0, this was always going to be a tough one and it was right up to the point when I brought on Burchet and Hamsun. Burchet can only last 45mins so I normally bring him on in the 2nd half when the opposition are tired. It was him that changed the match with two excellent runs on the right. We are now up to 2nd place, 3 points behind Brighton. Next we play 3rd placed Sheff Utd.

Next is the 2nd leg in the EFL Cup at home to Huddersfield. We were 3-0 down from the 1st leg. A tough ask if i am honest.

Canvey 0 Huddersfield 1 (0-4 agg), Huddersfield are beginning to be my bogey team even though we beat them in the league. I find them really hard to break down and in the league it was 2 set pieces that we scored from. I was always optimistic until Mounie scored with a nice volley finish into the bottom left hand corner. We hardly had any chances in this match. Anyways we regroup and hopefully go for promotion now.

Last edited:
A few goals here from an AI v AI test match I just had with a couple of Swedish teams from D2. A cracker of a game too as Halmstads beat Sundsvall 3-2 away. Their goals included an absolute peach of a header back across the keeper and a lovely bit of skill and strike on the turn for the second goal. Also in the game the AI fouled the other AI for a penalty!

@geeeeee Looking good in the league, a very nice win against Fulham. It's always nice when you can win those crucial games isn't it? If Burchett had stamina he could have been quite a player for the defaults I think. Oh and a nice touch trotting out the "now we can concentrate on the league" line to the fans after going out of the cup too :LOL: Spoken like a true manager. :)

I've never heard about this MLS Extratime before today. I've given it a brief try before and wow, it feels like an hypothetical Iss Pro Evolution 3 indeed. There are some unusual stylistic choices here and there (like a growing arrow instead of the power bar for cross and shoot, or the 3 cameras only) but for the little I played, it looks interesting and quite fascinating. I was always sure the first Ps2 Pes was the direct evolution of the Psx saga, seems like this one was way more of a direct "port" and possibly improvement of the raw old gen gameplay.

Always blows a bit my mind to discover new stuff about the saga after all those years.

Sounds like you are having a tough time in Division 2. It's great though because when you finally get promoted you really feel like you have achieved something. There are so many Goals (not talking about scoring) in this game, promotion, cup, stay up, get into europa league, win it, get into champions league, win it, win the league. I know that it is the same with all footy games but in retro PES the sense of achievement is so much better.

How is the training in PES2011?

Here are my next 2 matches in my ML.

First up is Matchday 6 at home to 2nd placed Fulham.

Canvey 2 Fulham 0, this was always going to be a tough one and it was right up to the point when I brought on Burchet and Hamsun. Burchet can only last 45mins so I normally bring him on in the 2nd half when the opposition are tired. It was him that changed the match with two excellent runs on the right. We are now up to 2nd place, 3 points behind Brighton. Next we play 3rd placed Sheff Utd.

Next is the 2nd leg in the EFL at home to Huddersfield. We were 3-0 down from the 1st leg. A tough ask if i am honest.

Canvey 0 Huddersfield 1 (0-4 agg), Huddersfield are beginning to be my bogey team even though we beat them in the league. I find them really hard to break down and in the league it was 2 set pieces that we scored from. I was always optimistic until Mounie scored with a nice volley finish into the bottom left hand corner. We hardly had any chances in this match. Anyways we regroup and hopefully go for promotion now.
Well, that commentary is such a breath of fresh air for me! :LOL:

Not funny!

;)

@mattmid a couple of great goals there. :)

Yes it's a shame Burchet has low stamina but I plan to put him in the gym pre season for some workouts to build up his stamina. Actually his shooting is pretty bad too.

Yep i have to keep the fans on my side, they were not happy as I put out a weak team in the first leg. And they hadn't a clue who this Zamenhof geezer is.

@Meazza84 excellent game that one. I was looking forward to the penalty shoot out though :) I used to love playing as the African teams because some of their players have so much pace.

That reminds me of when I used to play this with my brother. Fantastic game. Is that the one with Carlos in, with his '100 yard run up and shoot the ball out the stadium' free kicks? :P

When you record the games how do you get the picture to fill the whole screen? Mine is always smaller.

@PRO_TOO ha ha yes the commentating is excellent. They are soooo enthusiastic especially Mark Lawrenson. :EASY:

I think you can choose any resolution, you need to go to the plugin video settings. And I haven't played with Brazil yet. :)

I just noticed there's a referee on the pitch in MLS ExtraTime. We didn't see that in the main series until PES 4. Fully rendered intelligent linesmen as well! I played MLS GameNight on PS1 but I remember it felt like a re-skin of ISS Pro Evo. I might give it another shot though cause I read it has some improvements. This ExtraTime edition looks a bit more interesting to me though. Seems to use an enhanced version of the Iss Pro Evo 2 engine which I always preferred over the first game. ISS Pro Evolution 3 might be an appropriate analogy. Similar to how I personally consider PES 2008 on PES 2 to actually be PES 7, the final one of that second classic era.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom