The Retro-PES Corner

@Madmac79: I noticed the GK wearing a cap and thought you had manually assigned it to him...does Burgos appear like that on the PES3 default database? Never noticed it, how cool.
Great to see you using a Sweeper...or should I say, Líbero? :P Burgos and his cap as a Libero must be quite the sight!...Glad to see the "Zamenhofian" approach to virtual football catching on!
My friend, that Baggio goal is not the Retro-PES Goal of the Week, it is the Retro-PES Goal of the Season!

@Special4988: I can't speak for PES3, but on my last long-term ML (on PES08 PS2) those "rise and falls" you speak of totally happen. For example, Bayern became naturally the best team of my division over the years (a league comprised of the best teams from the Other Teams A/B section). They already had Lucio, Klose, Schweinsteiger, and then added a few other great players to that already powerful squad. Consequently, they dominated the first years of my save alongside Benfica. But while Benfica kept building upon their squad, often making moves to freshen it over time, Bayern just kept relying on their rapidly aging roster - which was still wonderful, mind you, but at one point those former superstars were reaching the age of 40...a decade after the beginning of the save, Bayern started to fall from grace and even the likes of Galatasaray are able to outplay them: Galatasaray became known for buying a lot of newgens/regens early on, like Barth/young Maldini/young Hakan Sukur; these had little impact early on while they were still teenagers but as the years went by, they became superstars and the team become one of the most successful in the whole of the ML "universe".

If you play a ML save long enough you'll start to see these little "side-stories" develop. These retro-PES MLs are much more random and chaotic than a modern game (just look at Madmac's screenshot, Galatasaray getting Zidane, Rivaldo...) because unlike say, a modern FM, teams don't really have budgets, so any one of them can become the next footballing powerhouse. It's next-level drama really.

Genuine editing question. I noticed on PSP 2014-2013 versions that the Other teams section with teams A,B,C,D... is removed. It is the league that everyone creates Bundesliga usually. On PES2014 ps2 IIRC it is the same, Teams A,B,C,D... are gone. Although on pes2008 ps2 they are there, as i have already created some players from its database, PLAYER001,002,003...etc. Does anyone know if it it the same case for every PES PS2 or PSP? I mean from 2009~2013. Cause if it is true and i did not miss something, it removes most of the creative possibilities.

Yo mat, as i missed the beginning of your PES 2012?/2013? project, (in your post above you said 2013) and it is difficult to catch up. May i ask how do you work on your game? You edit the OF and you import data by CSV? HOw did you create 50 teams? you unlocked hidden teams indatabase, or you overwrite existing ones?

Yes it's 2013. I am overwriting existing teams. So far I've been overwriting all the unlicensed teams, PES/WE and most of the Premier. I've now found out that unlike in PES6 as I posted yesterday coincidentally, you can't overwrite an unlicensed team to make the kit available to edit, at least I can't see how anyway. I tried exporting a non licensed team but the licensed teams are greyed out when you try to import. So now I have a kit problem, just been messing around trying to see what I can come up with (given that I am about as much use at that as a 3yr old with a crayon). I did manage this as a basic AIK, but it took about an hour and seeing as it eventually consisted of a couple of colours that's some going. It's not helped by the free photoshop not scaling properly as I have my screen set above 100% scaling, so I need binoculars to see the menus and toolbars. So I don't have a clue what I'm doing on there and am using irfan or did for this anyway.
aik.JPG

It's all black too rather than different shades although that's still better than Konami's black(grey) on the editable kits.

Editing wise yes I'm using the 2013 editor and importing team by team as I go along via csv. I'm using transfermkt to get positions, using current season where possible, but career now as these teams haven't started their seasons yet of course. For career I'm just taking the positions they've played a good number of games at, not where they've filled in a game here or there.

Going back to the kits issue, does anybody know if there's a way to convert from 2017 onwards kits to 2013 as that kit creator looks ideal and nice and simple as you can create the kit on an actual model rather than the pes format itself, but it starts at PES 2017 it seems. Maybe some kind of photoshop macro? Although I don't have photoshop itself only the CS freebie and I don't know if it is possible to use in there anyway.

Given the teams I am doing there's not exactly going to be more than a handful of kitserver kits made for them. With the kit creator and some kind of conversion I could get them all done.

EDIT: I just made the AIK home kit in 5 mins on that kit creator. Shame it's for 2017 though!

Last edited:
Ended my third season on Pes 3.

Was a quite interesting league:

I've stayed unbeaten way past half season, even if I was VERY lucky more than once (just look at the draws lol). Bought Bierhoff in the first transfer window and the guy helped me a lot staying competitive. I was fighting for the title until I lost the direct confrontation against Milan, then a mini results-crisis started and I lost track of them, despite ending not too far (but all the first six are there in just a few points as you can see). Will go in Europe, anyway.

Interesting to see the squad building around. Galatasaray for example put togheter a kind of all star (they are indeed one of the much tougher teams in the division):

And even tactically I'm seeing very interesting things. Lazio plays with Mihajlovic and Darit (Davids) in front of the defense and they constitute an unusual but nice barricade. Roma uses Cassano as a CM (despite him not even being one as a second role iirc) and he looked quite strong there when I faced them.

Anyway, the true beauty of the season was the D1 Cup victory. Beaten Emilia Sud, Bourgogne in semi, then I faced Peloponnisos (Olympiacos) in the final; I thought it would have been easy, as Giovanni (their big brazilian striker who usually makes me suffer) was disqualified.
At the opposite, a super intense final took place, me losing 1-0 for most of the match and risking the 2-0 more than once, only to draw in the last 10 minutes with Mauro Silva, having Nakayama expelled for a bad tackle, going in the extra time and risking even more, just to stole the victory with an Aldair header in the last minutes. I've put togheter a small highlight:

Miracles of both keepers, missed chances on both sides.. truly loved this final. And this game.

Final notes:

-I bought Burgos cause he looked peculiar and apt to an "old guys" team, with his cap and all, but he revealed himself as a super solid keeper; being inspired by Miguel, to give some breath to my few defenders, I've even made him play as a dc (as a sweeper to be more precise.. old guys team, old tactics ;) ) in the semi returns of Cup (where I was relaxed from the previous 1-3) and he did super well. Then I realized that generally keepers in Pes, despite being slow or having not the softest feet, usually do have high defense and balance stats.. so I guess the good ones could do more than decently there lol.

-I like the way the season is compressed in Pes 3. Less games, more thrills and more chances of both recover or lose it all. Doesn't feel short but definitely doesn't feel too long. The perfect balance.

I'll close with my best goal of the season:

Great stuff @Madmac79 , it's really good to see how the CPU teams build their team. Hopefully you will play a number of seasons and see how they develop. Yes and great Baggio goal!

Here are the next two matches in my ML.

First up in Matchday 7 is an away match against Sheff U who are 3rd as the fight for promotion begins to hot up.

Excellent match this one.

Sheff U 3 Canvey 3, as I said this was an excellent match. When we went 0-2 up I was actually thinking that it may be time to put the difficulty up but then they came right back into the game. They constantly tried to beat our offside trap as you can see from their first two goals.

So the halfway stage and this is the table...

1588782345327.jpeg

No offers during the transfer window which is no surprise. But a few interesting purchases especially by Liverpool.

1588782499352.jpeg
1588782518072.jpeg

Only one transfer in the Championship and that was for Huddersfield who brought in Youcef Belaili an Algerian who apparently has just recently returned from a drug ban. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Here are the most valued players in the ML...

1588782737647.jpeg

Sorry I am only sharing these things because I love stats myself. :)

Anyway on to Matchday 8.

Cardiff v Canvey

Cardiff 2 V Canvey 0, we were pretty poor in this match. It wasn't a classic like the last one. It will be a tough finish to the season me thinks.

1588782918141.jpeg

Thanks guys. I'm particularly proud of that Baggio's goal cause it resembles more than one of the divin codino's real life ones.

@Special4988 I'm not completely sure myself. Miguel described it perfectly for the most of the saga, but Pes 3 is a bit of a world apart cause players don't age and I think the whole transfers system got a massive rework from WE8 onwards. Galatasaray won D1 last year and it's still a powehouse, the same Milan is a super good team even if they sold or exchange some of their superstars (although the bone of the team is still there). Other teams that did pretty well last year fell the current one so I don't know. 3 seasons aren't still enough to have a precise idea anyway :) .

@miguelfcp Burgos has a cap as default, indeed :) ! Can't say how much I love this little details. But unfortunately it just stays on on keepers, they didn't made him wear it when I put him as a libero:
He had to opt for an hair band, indeed. I agree that it would have been a sight. He even looked kinda pissed himself :P
Burgoscapless.jpg
Will look for other ways to pull off some other Zamenhoflans, anyway :) .

@geeeeee loved that 3-3 game. That Freeman's soft touch on the keeper's rush looks so damn good and real life like. But generally the CPU moved around really well. Amazing to see this level even on regular.
Also your OF looks fantastic! I hope you'll grab promotion, I'm really curious to see your big teams in action, bet CPU will look even more surprising.

I've got to stop having test games as it's making me want to start even more!

Few highlights here in another cracking game. AIK wearing their new Mattmid Shitwear(TM) kit against Djurgarden, still wearing their replaced team's pes default kit.

The game started with a bang as Djurgarden had a man very harshly sent off after a minute! Ito's protege? Despite AIK dominance DJurgarden took a 2-0 lead, scoring from 2 of their 3 shots in the match. AIK poured forward late on and got one back around 82 minutes. They then threw the kitchen sink at Djurgarden and with the last kick of the game, equalised!

AIK's first was from their striker Goitom, who, rather than head it in, decided to go for the spectacular and channel his inner Zlatan, as you'll see in the video. Then a cross into the box is headed against his own keeper's head by the defender which keeps it out of the net! The final goal I absolutely love - Goitom again, this time he chases in a cross from Seb Larssen (yes, that one) and gambles that the centre back will miss it. The gamble pays off and in a valiant stretch he gets his toe to it just before the keeper can get there and prods it home to the despair of the Djurgarden players.

Excellent stuff there @mattmid , some excellent goals. I have always loved the shooting in PES2013, i love the one where he is stumbling but manages to out muscle the defender to get the shot in.

Ha I know how you feel when you are editing and playing testers and you just want to start. It is a nice feeling when it is done and you can just sit back and enjoy actually playing it. :)

@Madmac79 thanks yes I am quite pleased with how the game plays. I just wish I had the knowledge and know how of how to get the CPU teams to play like real life, like @Chenghis.Khan and, i think it was, @Tinker

And I wish I could get good quality videos recorded but that is the best I can get it.

I may turn the commentating off in the new season. I don't mind it but it could be a bit more exciting. Another thing I noticed that they took out of the newer games is the different settings for the commentating.

You can choose:-

1. Off or On
2. Call names
3. Numbers
4. Neither names or numbers
5. Frequency *
6. Frequency **
7. Frequency ***

I may try frequency * which I believe means they only commentate on the goals.

@geeeeee Yeah that's exactly it! It was bad enough of PES6 editing but I'd played countless hours so it wasn't so bad where as 2013 is basically a brand new version to me. It will just make it all the better though when I do start. I've mixed between playing and just coaching one side and effectively spectating on the tester games and I'm really impressed with how the AI play against itself. That last one was AI v AI, I can just imagine had it been an import game, even if I'd been in coach mode, when the equaliser went in with the last kick.

I wouldn't worry too much about the video quality, they are more than watchable :) I know what you mean though, with me I can record them in great quality but I have to generally limit the quality when saving by doing it to a smaller resolution because my upload speed is awful and pretty much kills the internet connection for any other use while uploading.

As to commentary if Jim Beglin says that goal gets them up and running in this tournament one more time, lockdown or not, I'm going to go round his house to tell him, no, stop it. :) I have it on but it's turned down low so I can barely hear it. I don't like Jon Champion much on real football commentary so it's bad enough then, let alone in the game as well.

They remove options that there's no reason to remove don't they?

Great stuff @Madmac79 , it's really good to see how the CPU teams build their team. Hopefully you will play a number of seasons and see how they develop. Yes and great Baggio goal!

Here are the next two matches in my ML.

First up in Matchday 7 is an away match against Sheff U who are 3rd as the fight for promotion begins to hot up.

Excellent match this one.

Sheff U 3 Canvey 3, as I said this was an excellent match. When we went 0-2 up I was actually thinking that it may be time to put the difficulty up but then they came right back into the game. They constantly tried to beat our offside trap as you can see from their first two goals.

So the halfway stage and this is the table...

No offers during the transfer window which is no surprise. But a few interesting purchases especially by Liverpool.

Only one transfer in the Championship and that was for Huddersfield who brought in Youcef Belaili an Algerian who apparently has just recently returned from a drug ban. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Here are the most valued players in the ML...

Sorry I am only sharing these things because I love stats myself. :)

Anyway on to Matchday 8.

Cardiff v Canvey

Cardiff 2 V Canvey 0, we were pretty poor in this match. It wasn't a classic like the last one. It will be a tough finish to the season me thinks.

wow.. I like it.. btw.. about the top paid players.. is there a list of players (with id) from highest to lowest paid (like robinho, lampard to Braafheid) and players who always on transfer headline and can be on loan? or a salary calculator like pes6 overall calculator? or you did it manually by your experience.. because in pes6 more younger player become lower paid.. I want to make mbappe become the higest paid to transfer.. thanks before :)

@imansa1990 It has to do with the player’s ID. It’s quite simple but takes time. I checked each player in ML to see what their rating is wether A, B, C, D, or -. Then i changed their name to the rating so i had some player name’s as A, B etc...

To work out who to write over with what players, i went to sofifa.com and used their OVR as a guide.

It was something like this:-

86-99 - A
83-85 - B
78-82- C
70-77- D
69-lower - -

I did alter it slightly as i went along because i started running out of certain rated players.

Another important thing is i didn't use any of the extra teams or players from the shop because these can bring out 5000 or really low waged players regardless of stats.

For some reason though Aghahowah, when overwritten becomes one of these 5000 players even though he is not from the shop. So i left him as he is apart from adjusting his age to late 30’s.

One last thing, i had to make Japanese and Korean players No Nationality otherwise all their prices are 350.

Konami certainly added some strange things in the game and i hope they don’t start appearing as my ML progresses.

Remember this may be different for PES6, hope this helps though :)

wow.. I like it.. btw.. about the top paid players.. is there a list of players (with id) from highest to lowest paid (like robinho, lampard to Braafheid) and players who always on transfer headline and can be on loan? or a salary calculator like pes6 overall calculator? or you did it manually by your experience.. because in pes6 more younger player become lower paid.. I want to make mbappe become the higest paid to transfer.. thanks before :)

This might be of help, I got this from a thread on the South American forum, Pesretro, it was by someone called Tomi1889 so it's all his work. All the players names are changed to their ML salary with all player stats on 60. However there are still some weird things going on with Konami and what some salaries end up depending on the players stats, position and age etc but it might be a useful starting point for you. :)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7gjqbeh4aek3c9l/MLvaluesKONAMI-WIN32PES6OPT/file

Anyone else feel spoiled for choice sometimes? So many games and - even with lockdown - not enough time.

I almost feel the need to write down a schedule. My retro spinning plates right now:

- ISS Pro Evolution 2 Master League
- PES3 Master League
- PES 2008 (PS2) Master League

As well as a PES 2020 Master League, Championship Manager 01/02 save and a FIFA 14 Career Mode.

I'll soon have all the PESes on PS2 (the less said about how much I paid for 2014 the better, considering I gave it away by mistake for nothing about five years ago; but then I've spent next to nothing in the past two months) so that's another temptation. And I'm itching to get at the PS3 titles after I gave up, heartbroken, at 2008. That'd be another load.

First world problem to be fair.

This might be of help, I got this from a thread on the South American forum, Pesretro, it was by someone called Tomi1889 so it's all his work. All the players names are changed to their ML salary with all player stats on 60. However there are still some weird things going on with Konami and what some salaries end up depending on the players stats, position and age etc but it might be a useful starting point for you. :)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7gjqbeh4aek3c9l/MLvaluesKONAMI-WIN32PES6OPT/file
Thank you.. I'm in your debt.. you help me twice..

I'll soon have all the PESes on PS2 (the less said about how much I paid for 2014 the better, considering I gave it away by mistake for nothing about five years ago; but then I've spent next to nothing in the past two months) so that's another temptation. And I'm itching to get at the PS3 titles after I gave up, heartbroken, at 2008. That'd be another load.

Crikey. 2014 has just arrived and it's still sealed. Makes sense that it was pricey. Should... should I open it? Last PS2 game released in Europe but, realistically, how valuable will it get?

EDIT: Opened it. Who am I kidding. I bought it to play it.

Last edited:
Matchday 9 in my ML

Canvey Eagles v Aston Villa 3rd v 7th.

We need to win to keep our promotion challenge going. Last time we played Villa we came back from one goal down to win 2-1. Will this be Villa’s chance for revenge?

Canvey 1 v Aston Villa 2, yep they certainly did get revenge. Stein scored his first for the club although it should have been an Engels own goal but he claimed it even though the shot was going across the pitch. They scored a great goal by Luiz and the Wesly finished it off after a great cross from the right. Next match is against the leaders Brighton. I will upload tomorrow.

@geeeeee I don't know what you did to attribute changes, but your gameplay videos look amazing. The way the CPU attacks is impressive. Did you already upload your OF for download? If not, I would be very interested in trying it if you didn't mind uploading it. I have a Master League going with the original 2007-2008 rosters, but I have a 2nd PSP and would like to get a Master League going with updated rosters as well. And your OF looks really impressive.

@geeeeee I don't know what you did to attribute changes, but your gameplay videos look amazing. The way the CPU attacks is impressive. Did you already upload your OF for download? If not, I would be very interested in trying it if you didn't mind uploading it. I have a Master League going with the original 2007-2008 rosters, but I have a 2nd PSP and would like to get a Master League going with updated rosters as well. And your OF looks really impressive.

Being honest all i have done is used stats from PSD and various other sites. No stat gameplay changes. I use wide camera with the biggest swing, i think setting 9, and that might make it look better.

For me though 2008 has the best CPU attacking. It also helps that i am probably not as good as some of you guys. If you look at that Luiz goal, my defender did a sliding tackle to get away from him, not to get him :LOL:

I will upload it later today and send it via pm. I didnt want to officially release it because, even though the stats are done, some kits and faces still need doing.

You prefer PS2, PSP, or both uploaded?

Christ; he's doing well to get that one. Might as well have given it to me! :LOL:

:LOL: But his reaction after the goal gave the ref and the ‘who scored the goal’ panel (sorry cant remember their official name) no doubt that it was his goal. He plays snooker in his spare time and he use Engels to cannon the ball in. :P

How is 2014?

Hello everyone,
Anything know please what situation is best to play in PES6 -
Semi Auto / Full Auto / Manual ? (your opinion)
* and with the Goalkeeper Cursor need to be ON/OFF ?

thanks for the answers !! :)

Hello everyone,

In the beginning I was semi , 4 bars. I ended up SEMI 2 bars, it felt better balance between total control and useful automatic switches.
GK cursor always OFF for me.
For the cursor change I agree with @mattmid , you must try and find what suits you more. It took me two years to end up with 2 bars and feel in total sync.

@geeeeee Awesome, thanks! I only have a PSP version at the moment so that would be fine. No worries about it not being completely done. I am not the best player as well, but I only play "fixed player" anyways so I can only do so much just controlling 1 player. Have to rely on the pretty good AI in the 2008 version, which does quite well finding a pass to me when I make a good run.

Hello everyone,

There's no best, all depends on you personal play style and preference. You can go into training, set it to manual and test out all five bars to see how your team reacts, their positioning, mentality etc. Get a feel for each level. In a high intensity match I sometimes prefer auto attack/defense as it's less to worry about during the game. The computer doesn't always make the best choice though so on the whole I prefer manual, same for player switching. Means I can do stuff like come flying out of the blocks on level 5, then shut up shop when necessary. I generally use level 1 and 5 less and more like the emergency buttons for parking the bus or chasing a late goal. As for the GK cursor, I enjoy manual. I like repositioning him and then pulling of a wonder save (or not) lol.

@geeeeee Awesome, thanks! I only have a PSP version at the moment so that would be fine. No worries about it not being completely done. I am not the best player as well, but I only play "fixed player" anyways so I can only do so much just controlling 1 player. Have to rely on the pretty good AI in the 2008 version, which does quite well finding a pass to me when I make a good run.

That's fine I will upload it later today.

I have never played with fixed player. I might try that one day. What do you play that in? Is it a League or Cup? What camera angle do you use?

Back to the ML...

With the disappointing defeat to Aston Villa in the last game and the sending off of Ivarov it means we have it all to do against the league leaders Brighton. In goal again is Zamenhof and at the start of the match it is good to see him really jeering up the team but can he take that enthusiasm onto the pitch?

Canvey 1 Brighton 2, boy what a hard fought match that was with plenty of fouls and bookings. Both teams were looking nervy, Brighton in particular at the back which was surprising as their defence has been solid throughout the season. The annoying thing is that we had chances, not clear cut chances but chances to break with a man over but we couldn't find the right pass. Zamenhof was showing all that enthusiasm at the beginning and it kind of spilled onto the pitch when he came rushing out to the pass to Murray only for Murray to flick it over him and into the net. The second goal was calamitous as Macco defended poorly (not his best quality) and then Zamenhof being beaten as the shot hit his near post and came out to Murray for his 2nd of the match and 4th of the season.

That leaves the table looking like this...

1588950786900.jpeg
so we are now 4 points behind promotion spot with only four games left. The worrying thing is that we have lost 4 and drawn 1 of the last 5 matches in all competitions. In 3 of those games we were winning only to be pegged back. I may need to change my formation, at the moment I am playing 4-3-3 with a high back line but now teams are exploiting that back line with balls over the top. I also want to try to get Macco playing a bit more so I may shuffle it around for the next match against Norwich.

Other competitions are looking like this in the final stage of the season baring in mind that the first season qualifiers are random compared to the seasons after that.

1588951076307.jpeg

1588951120390.jpeg

@geeeeee Nice to see Zamenhof geeing up his men. They probably wondered who he was :D That's a very tight table between 2nd and bottom! Any of the bottom three could yet go up with a run of wins, as indeed could Canvey. Great to see the first season unfolding after all your hard work. :) Come on Canvey!

@geeeeee Nice to see Zamenhof geeing up his men. They probably wondered who he was :D That's a very tight table between 2nd and bottom! Any of the bottom three could yet go up with a run of wins, as indeed could Canvey. Great to see the first season unfolding after all your hard work. :) Come on Canvey!

:LOL: Maybe they thought Zamenhof was a fan that got on the pitch. Yeh it's a really tight table and our form is so bad at the moment that it could mean that we finish bottom. I will play next two games tomorrow and hopefully upload on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom