The Retro-PES Corner

Does anybody know if it is possible to make the strikers go or stay further up the pitch in WE9LE? I find that mine keep dropping too deep even though I've edited their positions to be higher up. Maybe it's just the way the game works but wondered if there was a way?

I'd give that a go one night for sure. I have all of those games but none of those patch versions haha. I can look for them in the Sany thread though presumably?
WC 98 does sound good even though pes6 is my least favourite of those 4 games. I have fond memories of that tournament.
The beauty of Parsec is that you don't need to install any of them yourself - it's the equivalent of "Share Play" on the PS4. The simplicity is brilliant - the downside is that it's a stream so it needs a decent connection, but I've played with people across the world and found no issue (usually 20ms-30ms latency).

Shoot me a PM and we'll sort something out! :D

Does anybody know if it is possible to make the strikers go or stay further up the pitch in WE9LE? I find that mine keep dropping too deep even though I've edited their positions to be higher up. Maybe it's just the way the game works but wondered if there was a way?

Set them to low defense. That alone makes them look for forward runs more than linking play. Positioning them as high as possible (even byline) helps, but you already did that. A forward arrow will tell them to focus even more on those forward runs. Then the AGGRESSION & TEAMWORK stats are important. If AGG is high and TW is low (Pippo Inzaghi), the striker will do his own thing and look to be a through ball/cross target. If AGG is low and TW is high (Bergkamp, Benzema), the striker will drop deep and link play more.

If you want them to stay up when you're defending and then be upfront once you regain possession, the Counter Attack strategy is for you.

Let me know if that helps.

Set them to low defense. That alone makes them look for forward runs more than linking play. Positioning them as high as possible (even byline) helps, but you already did that. A forward arrow will tell them to focus even more on those forward runs. Then the AGGRESSION & TEAMWORK stats are important. If AGG is high and TW is low (Pippo Inzaghi), the striker will do his own thing and look to be a through ball/cross target. If AGG is low and TW is high (Bergkamp, Benzema), the striker will drop deep and link play more.

If you want them to stay up when you're defending and then be upfront once you regain possession, the Counter Attack strategy is for you.

Let me know if that helps.
Cool, thankyou. I will give these a go and let you know if it improves the situation. My new striker isn't getting into enough forward positions and I am trying to create more chances for him...not that it matters as the few I have had, I have balooned over the bar (but that's more me than him I think)

Regardng PES 6 I always believed that you can't determine the participants for the European competitions in the first season. Well, I just tried to sort the teams in the team selection screen of Master League from best to worst and it worked. First two teams are directly qualified for the group stage, the following four teams play in the qualifying group stage. I tested this three times by always creating a new game to be absolutely sure and for each of the four leagues. I don't know if this is common knowledge but I needed 14 years to realize that this works perfectly fine. But: you can't make your own team a participant of the European Championship in the first season by placing yourself into one of the first six spots.

Regardng PES 6 I always believed that you can't determine the participants for the European competitions in the first season. Well, I just tried to sort the teams in the team selection screen of Master League from best to worst and it worked. First two teams are directly qualified for the group stage, the following four teams play in the qualifying group stage. I tested this three times by always creating a new game to be absolutely sure and for each of the four leagues. I don't know if this is common knowledge but I needed 14 years to realize that this works perfectly fine. But: you can't make your own team a participant of the European Championship in the first season by placing yourself into one of the first six spots.

Interesting, I expect it is the same for PES 5 as well, though I've never tested it. Certainly the teams that appear in Europe when you are in that first Div 2 season seem arbitrarily chosen, with unexpected teams often featuring. This would explain it.

They'll remember this one for years- they are the champions!

Yes, I did it. After nine seasons, eight of them in D1, I won the league. I still have a game to go, but I beat Chelsea in the penultimate game when already four points ahead. They needed the win to stand a chance of retaining the title they had won for the past seven years, but a 44th minute goal from Ordaz gave me the three points. Ximilez sent a slightly curving hard ground pass through the defence, Ordaz rolled his marker and was suddenly inside him; one touch took it to the edge of the box, the second fired it low and hard just to the side of Cech.

Chelsea dropped a few points this season, Man Utd doing me a great service as one of the few to have defeated them. Drogba doesn't seem to have featured as much, perhaps that explains Chelsea's slightly less impressive performance. For my own part, I've been a bit more consistent and resilient, not losing as many games when I've gone behind. I also had a fair bit of luck- I often moan about outrageous refereeing decisions against me, but in the third match from the end against Villa I secured the victory with a solitary goal late on. A ball was played along the ground, with Takahashi, Ordaz and a Villa defender going for it, but Ordaz bumped into the defender, knocking him off the ball, leaving the mercurial Japanese free to place it expertly past the keeper. A few games earlier I had faced Newcastle, and at 1-0 up they lost Babayaro to a relatively innocuous challenge. He slid in on Burchet as the Aussie threatened to overtake him, catching his heels but not fully arresting his progress. He might have been considered the last man, but I have seen far, far heavier challenges not even punished with a yellow. In fact I cannot remember even seeing the computer team get a straight red in this playthrough! I don't think it was pivotal in that match since I had already scored and went on to win by the same 4-0 margin as I had against them earlier in the season (their attacking was a bit poor in both games), but it is typical of how things have been going my way late this season.

I did in fact do the treble this year- Chelsea stubbornly scraped through to the finals of the D1 and CL cups, tediously reducing the variety for me. I won the D1 cup 2-1. An early goal by Gazza, laid on by Argentine superstar Orellano, was quite soon equalled by Robben firing low into the corner after Essien found him with a 30 yard pass. In extra time though, my pacey Orellano came up trumps with the silver goal. It hadn't been a great performance by Chelsea, and they were even less impressive in the CL, which I won 4-0! Out of the four times I met Chelsea this season, I only failed to beat them once, when we drew in our first league encounter.

The Uefa Cup was won by Juve, narrowly beating Arsenal 2-1. The Gunners are bound to finish fourth in the league, behind Man Utd who still stand a chance of taking second despite losing to lowly Blackburn. As for scoring, I have again slightly improved on my previous year's tally in the league, scoring 61 with a game left (ended with 59 last year). I also achieved a few more points than ever before. Ordaz has 16 league goals with a game to go, Orellano 19, but the Spaniard has been prolific in the cups and finished as top scorer in both with 8 in each competition! This puts his goals in all competitions for the season at 32, and that doesn't count any goals scored in the CL qualifying stage. Gazza has scored more than ever before for me, netting 8 times in the league and a few in the cups, and though Burchet hasn't scored many this year he has been invaluable with assists (so too Ximilez). All in all, a stupendously successful season, a nice way to potentially end this playthrough as I intend to patch the game to freshen things up.

To tell you the truth I've played all the WE 9 based games to death and never appreciated sensible differences between all of them.. I've also never seen concrete proofs from people claim that LE plays this much better than the rest (which is usually the argument).

I'm particulary confident it is the case since in mid titles of other editions differences were glaring in a lot of stuff. If you take idk we6FE or we8LE there is a quite good amount of different things you can point out compared with their respective parent, tangible elements like gameplay or animations. Definitely not the case here.

Thank you so much for finding this out. It also works in PES2008. :)

I ended up carrying on my continuing my PES 5 ML after patching it, for the time being at least. The patch changes the ball physics, apparently, as well as making poor keepers prone to making mistakes and allows higher resolution graphics. My 'wide' camera view is now a lot further out, which allows me to play with minimal reference to the radar, though I am not sure it helps me when players are very close together. I've certainly noticed keepers being a bit more fallible, which is good to see.

It is 2014, and I made just one summer signing; a young French defender named Valeny, nephew of Fabrice Valeny who used to play for me! What a coincidence! In the last few matches I've come across two of the original PES 1/2/3 lineup playing for other teams, which is nice to see (I don't like to think of them never being bought). Portsmouth had Kelsen in goal, and he did ok though he couldn't stop Gazza scoring twice to give me a 2-1 win. Then I faced Juve in my CL group, and who was at left back? Edingson! The little Scot was unable to prevent me winning 4-0, however. Del Piero has retired, and Trezeguet partnered Giuseppe Sculli to begin with. I think they must all be getting quite old.

I am doing really well this season, though so are Man Utd. With Chelsea definitively no longer top dog, Man Utd and me are the competitors for the title, and are currently neck and neck after 10 games and both with a 9-1-0 record. I actually began quite poorly, only winning the first game against newly promoted NAC Breda by a single, late goal. It was very fortunate; the keeper rushed out to deal with a through ball and his parry bounced off the defender who had come to help, and it fell wonderfully in front of Feurer my Austrian winger, who tapped it in. Two 2-1 victories followed in almost as unconvincing a fashion, but then I started scoring more and got my act together. Just as well, because Man Utd have been putting 5 or 6 goals past a number of opponents.

I actually beat Newcastle 8-2 in an exciting game; After I went ahead early they soon equalised through Owen, whose goal grabbing persists. I did get a couple more in the first half though, and was settling down. They weren't creating many chances but their team was playing quite well, with the exception of Bramble who was having a bad day. Passing the ball to me, jumping for headers only for it to skim off into my path, and conceding a penalty (which I missed). Early in the second though, I grabbed my fourth goal, which seemed to turn the game into a rout and illustrated the benefit of playing at home. A Newcastle player had it in defence and was turning this way and that to try and get a pass beyond Takahashi, who was hounding him. The big Japanese forward then ran through the back of him, taking the ball without censure by the referee, and scored. After this Newcastle seemed to crumble a bit, though they did rally to score another goal. I was becoming more accurate by the minute with my shooting, passing so well that it was like playing against 10 men, and I won two more penalties (both of which I scored). It was the most goals I've scored in this playthrough, and in fact the most I can remember scoring in a single game for years. More recently I played at St James' Park in the first round of the cup and won 1-0; quite a contrast between home and away, as well of course as me not playing quite as well nor having my full squad available for the cup.

Another interesting game was against Villa. I was 4-0 up until the 82nd minute, when a dangerous cross near the goal was accidentally chased in by Southgate (playing because Libermann was tired). Soon after, they scored a bit of a corker; a midfielder played an aerial ball to Anelka, who with his back to goal volleyed it over his head into the box. It bounced once before Prandini (someone they bought back in 2005, he can play in a number of positions) put it in with a flying volley. The game ended 4-2, and Villa stayed in 5th place.

The league has been interesting so far this season. Man Utd first on goal difference and me in second, Arsenal are now third five points behind us, and Chelsea are a further point behind them. In sixth are Everton, a team which have been struggling most years in this playthrough. Seventh and Eighth are West Brom and Newcastle. Spurs are in the lower half, not all that unusual, but it is strange to see Liverpool down there; indeed they have been hovering above the two relegation spots.

By the way, is it possible to upload replays from PES 5 to this site directly from my game files, and if so could someone point me towards the instructions for doing so?

Last edited:
By the way, is it possible to upload replays from PES 5 to this site directly from my game files, and if so could someone point me towards the instructions for doing so?

I don't know if that's possible, especially if you're on the PS2.

---

I decided to play some PES4 after a long break from it, was in the mood for some frenetic action. Casually started a ML with Puerto, and what a roster they had. Remember this was the first PES after Mourinho's Porto conquered the Champions League; though Ricardo Carvalho, Paulo Ferreira or Deco are no longer playing for them, there's still Vítor Baía, Jorge Costa, Nuno Valente, Costinha, Maniche, Carlos Alberto, Derlei and some very promising newcomers such as a young Quaresma, Seitaridis, Diego (nowadays still playing for Flamengo) and...Pepe, who 16 years later is playing for Porto in real life again.

D2 is filled with unimpressive teams such as those mid-table Dutch/German sides - though there's a solid Hamburg there -; plus this Porto squad is truly on another level, so that might explain my super-successful run so far: I'm winning all matches and scoring plenty of goals. I don't remember PES4 being this easy; maybe it's the game that brings the best out of me (PES4's electric rhythm makes attacking so goddamn exciting!). Next season on D1 will answer my questions certainly.

A couple of PES4 goals, the first scored by the CPU:

Loved [scenarios] Always remember one on ISS 64 or 98 where you were Norway and had to score from the corner you were presented with straight away. About 70% of my goals in that game were scored by Dan Eggen for that very reason, part of many failed attempts. Think the last time they appeared in a Konami game was MLS ExtraTime 2002 - I stand to be corrected though.

So now I'm better equipped for these older more obscure games on my PS2 I thought I'd give this another go, for the scenarios. Please, please, please bring them back, Konami. They're absolutely brilliant, even from matches I don't even recognise.

It's well worth a go, that game. ISS PE engine with lipstick on so naturally it plays well. Plus it's just so American it could be a comedy spoof. Shame it just doesn't have the modes to make it worthy of a deeper dive, but the scenarios mean it's enough to dip a toe.

Today i will confess my eternal question. I think it is a childhood placebo.
Does anyone else has the same feeling as me (maybe placebo), that the crowd in ISS SNES is cheering the chant "TIME UP, TIME, TIME, TIME, TIME , TIME ...TIME UP" And when they cheer in more intensive way they just yell "TIME UP, TIME UP, TIME UP".

Anybody else or it is just me? :P (Go on, smash my childhood memories!) :D

Or can it be like @miguelfcp "i would through my sister on you"? :P :P

Afternoon all, I have yet another question about WE9LE if I may?

Try as I might, I can't seem to get stadium server to work. It is in the right folder in kitserver, the stadiums are correct, the DLL and the stadiums appear to load successfully in the log but I'm game I can't get anything to work.
I can't even get the HUD/server text to show up, just the ballserver one.
Ballserver works find and I cam select balls no problem but it's not the case with stadium server.

I've tried pressing 7 for random and 8,9 and 0 too but it always uses the stadium selected in game.

Is there a way to get the text to show up on screen? If I can do that, I will be able to see if anything is being changed/selected.

Thanks in advance

Anyone remembers which PES this song was? My mind has stuck since yesterday...Or if placebo which video game it was? Or is it total placebo. I strongl recall this to be in a PES....

I've sunk thousands of hours in pes 5 and we9le and the differences are subtle, the ball physics mainly. Its smoother and aesthetically pleasing when taking shots/passing in we9le. I find myself playing cross field balls more often because the players down the flank are more open.... and freekicks are more easier is we9le. Great game it is. I'd play WE9Le over pes 6 any day.

Here are the two videos I think makes me want to go back to we9le. These attest to the point I made above. A cracking fk by the maestro Jaric followed by hamsuns long pass to young Cristiano to hit one home on a counter.

This game is my escape from modern day football games.

Hope you are all doing well.

A couple of questions for those that edit via PESfan Editor.

First of all would you recommend using HD emblems or SD emblems? I have been using HD recently which look pretty decent but they have that ‘white wavey’ line that goes through the middle which looks fine on the league table etc but no so good on the flags in the stadium.

Secondly, i know i asked this about 2000 posts ago, but does anybody know why sometimes the emblems turn fuzzy when going in and out of edit mode? It can be resolved using PESfan editor by deleting the fuzzy emblem and replacing it with another one but it can be a hinderance when it happens, and annoying because it happens randomly.

Thanks

@geeeeee I think that must be either a PS specific problem with 2008 or perhaps just 2008 in general. I've never seen it happen on previous PC version 3/4/5/6. I have never played PC 2008 long enough to know if happened in that version though.

I would say @sniglet is the man for the first question. :)

Thanks for getting back Matt. It used to happen when i was editing PES5 too but only on the PS.

I think it has something to do with the transferring from PC to PS and also creating kits etc... It’s really annoying though when everything is all good and then i start to play ML and the emblem is a blob :)

Thanks for the heads up regarding @sniglet. I will drop him a pm if he doesnt reply here.

Can somebody please help me with stadium server for we9le? I can't get it to work at all and all looks fine in the log, it loads, the DLL loads and the stadiums load bit there is no ui/selection options for stadiums in the game, just the ball selector ui.
I can't figure it out...

Thanks in advance

rsl1, check "kload.cfg", maybe there are some disabled "#" modules, e.g:
<< #DLL.6 = "kitserver\stadium.dll" >>
Thanks for the suggestion but there isn't any # in front in the kload cfg unfortunately so it should be working. It shows in the log as loading correctly b with no errors etc so I don't really get it.

Back
Top Bottom