The Retro-PES Corner

Talking about obscure versions in the series, I wonder if any of the arcade cabinet versions were any different and could be emulated these days? Some of them might be fun to play.

It's hard to find many videos as they only seemed to be available in Japan (never seen one in person) but I've seen clips from versions ranging from 2002 to 2012.

You mean like a playable version? I'd love to try it live!
Sany has the files IIRC. I don't know the playability, I think Sany states that is not playable IIRC again and makes sense, since it was an online mmo service, it is supposed to connect P2P games back in 2011.
I think there was a workaround, you had to create a Korean account somewhere, back then, but I failed back then.
Don't think it is playable today so..
I would post the link from Sany topic but I am from mobile phone.
It was in the first couple of pages.

My best idea would be to explore the CM4 or CM 03/04 database and look for players with the best rating or reputation not in PES3. I might give it a bash to fix up my option file but couldn't guarantee it'd be any time soon!

Great video. And some real throwbacks. World Cup and Goal were likely my first games too, on the Gameboy and NES respectively. You've really got me thinking about my timeline now, and how it was hampered a little by my devotion to Nintendo.

What I played (although now my collection goes beyond it:

Gameboy: Super Kick Off, World Cup, USA '94 official game, Sensible Soccer

NES: World Cup, Goal

SNES: FIFA International Soccer, FIFA 96, Super Soccer

N64: FIFA 64, ISS 64, ISS 98

PS1: ISS PE, ISS PE2

PS2: PES 1-2008

PS3: FIFA 09-15

PS4: FIFA 16-17, PES 2020

The 18s and 19s aren't worth mentioning - I thought PES and FIFA were both really poor. Although overall it's been a bit of a dud for me, certain patches of PES 2020 brought me a lot of enjoyable play time.
Ah man I played Super Kick off on the GameBoy for ever, it was the only handheld game I had so was great in the car/on holidays.

My first football game was MatchDay 2 on the Commodore 64 though, I poured hours and hours into that even though it was super slow and the players kind of looked like pixies lol. Almost certainly where I got my football gaming love from though.

Sorry for the slight OT, but I guess Guardiola being kicked out of CL by a mostly vertical team who also is much worse (at least on paper), should count as a point for the Retro corner :BOP: ?

if anyone is interested im doing a Pes 5 and 6 master league series on Youtube Both with default players (one as Arsenal one as PES Utd)
here is the link to the playlist of both.
PES 5: PES 6:
if you do watch some please comment saying your from here!

Sorry for the slight OT, but I guess Guardiola being kicked out of CL by a mostly vertical team who also is much worse (at least on paper), should count as a point for the Retro corner :BOP: ?

Yes from me.

I have no time for the Cult of Guardiola or the notion that there's a "right way" of playing.

Watching Barcelona getting their neck wrung and then Guardiola dumped on consecutive nights feels like we can finally close that chapter. That "right way" is okay when you have and exceptional generation including Xavi and Iniesta. How's it gone for Barcelona and Guardiola since?

It's infested coaching in Scotland, the idea that football is won by technique, a lot of which is innate. Glad we can move on.

You mean this? From videos seems more like a PES6 with PES2010-2011 player models. I think there is something about this in Sany's topic.
Perhaps a simpler way to experience this would be PES 2012 or 2013 on the Wii. It's basically a higher resolution PES 6 with better ball physics and 360 dribbling. Bit of a pain in the arse to set up on the Dolphin emulator but it's still more playable than this WE Online would be.

A bit of a segue but @MafiaMurderBag - was it you who posted a meme of the bloke in bed regretting selling a memory card of/deleting old PES replays? And where did you post it if so? Went to share it, couldn't find it and it's bugging me.

Tried here and your socials to no avail!

Here ya go!
I can relate somehow.

I used to record footage of my best goals because I thought that one day I'd release a "best of" with all my goals worth seeing (no matter the game they were scored with), then usually delete many of them over time in any possible way: re-installing the system without doing a proper backup, moving the ones I recorded with Xbox One to OneDrive then wiping OneDrive's content without thinking about it, moving them from my "Videos" folder and then forgetting where I had put them, deleting them on purpose due to lack of space on the hard drive (a classic)... You name it, we have it. 😄

I can relate somehow.

I used to record footage of my best goals because I thought that one day I'd release a "best of" with all my goals worth seeing (no matter the game they were scored with), then usually delete many of them over time in any possible way: re-installing the system without doing a proper backup, moving the ones I recorded with Xbox One to OneDrive then wiping OneDrive's content without thinking about it, moving them from my "Videos" folder and then forgetting where I had put them, deleting them on purpose due to lack of space on the hard drive (a classic)... You name it, we have it. 😄
We really are spoiled nowadays with such convenient ways to record as well as storage. Saving replays seemed so state of the art despite being expensive storage wise. Kids really don't k ow how easy they have it now a days.
Cheers! Where was it that you posted it?
It's on my Twitter. I also posted it to Reddit.

Perhaps a simpler way to experience this would be PES 2012 or 2013 on the Wii. It's basically a higher resolution PES 6 with better ball physics and 360 dribbling. Bit of a pain in the arse to set up on the Dolphin emulator but it's still more playable than this WE Online would be.
Ah you weren't joking were you...

I thought I'd give it a quick go bit trying to get a 360 controller to work so that the game is playable is a real faff. I can get it to work a bit but the controls aren't mapped fully and it's annoying. I think it would be quite good fun if I could sort out the control scheme. I might have to dig out my actual Wii at this rate lol

the wii games where great severely underrated that champions road mode was so fun and unique mode to the wii version i wish they would revisit it again in modern pes as people are always moaning about wanting a new mode champions road should be that mode(its not like a lot people played the wii versions)

the wii games where great severely underrated that champions road mode was so fun and unique mode to the wii version i wish they would revisit it again in modern pes as people are always moaning about wanting a new mode champions road should be that mode(its not like a lot people played the wii versions)
What is the Form and structure of this Champions Road?

Ah you weren't joking were you...

I thought I'd give it a quick go bit trying to get a 360 controller to work so that the game is playable is a real faff. I can get it to work a bit but the controls aren't mapped fully and it's annoying. I think it would be quite good fun if I could sort out the control scheme. I might have to dig out my actual Wii at this rate lol
Yeah, It's so frustrating because the WII versions are real treasure trove hybrids of the PS2 titles but with some nice aesthetic changes so it's not too much of a departure from the classic art style.

But yeah, It's a shame they we're locked behind the gimmick of the wii and it's simplified motion controls. You can play with a wii gamepad on the original hardware though.

Yeah, It's so frustrating because the WII versions are real treasure trove hybrids of the PS2 titles but with some nice aesthetic changes so it's not too much of a departure from the classic art style.

But yeah, It's a shame they we're locked behind the gimmick of the wii and it's simplified motion controls. You can play with a wii gamepad on the original hardware though.
I've just fiddled about with it some more and got it to work much better with the Xbox 360 controller. I can now control the Wii pointer thing with the right stick in the menus but use the full controller when playing the game. Still a few issues to iron out but it's working now at least. I'd rather not dust off the Wii as the graphics are way worse than through dolphin

The short version @slamsoze is you choose a team and start with the default players and you play mini leagues winning them to unlock others. but the best bit was that when you win you get to choose a player at random from the other team to sign. and you do this after every match gaining more picks as you go along. Thats what its like in pes 2008 in pes 2009 etc its the same buy you can unlock like training ground expansions to get better competitions with better players.
here is a video of what happens when you win a match on pes 2008 version(btw there was no master league on that version on this game mode)

There is also a playthrough on pes 2012 wii (only a few parts theres only 3 in this playlist but i think he did like 6 parts)

I've just fiddled about with it some more and got it to work much better with the Xbox 360 controller. I can now control the Wii pointer thing with the right stick in the menus but use the full controller when playing the game. Still a few issues to iron out but it's working now at least. I'd rather not dust off the Wii as the graphics are way worse than through dolphin
Yeah i can't remember how i did it but because they had a hard on for the motion pointer thing (ugh) i had to map the motion sensor to the mouse for the menus than once the match started i had to pause the game, tab out to dolphin, switch my config around for my controller, tab back into the game and play.

Problem is, Everytime you pause the game - BOOM Motion controls enabled again, Tab out and switch configs....

And absolute farce, I've got to be really, realllly in the mood to fart around with this game and even then i've had enough after one match despite the actual game being really good.

Motion controls - A total blight on the gaming industry.

Yeah i can't remember how i did it but because they had a hard on for the motion pointer thing (ugh) i had to map the motion sensor to the mouse for the menus than once the match started i had to pause the game, tab out to dolphin, switch my config around for my controller, tab back into the game and play.

Problem is, Everytime you pause the game - BOOM Motion controls enabled again, Tab out and switch configs....

And absolute farce, I've got to be really, realllly in the mood to fart around with this game and even then i've had enough after one match despite the actual game being really good.

Motion controls - A total blight on the gaming industry.
Yeah that's what I was doing last night and it was a pain in the arse but I now have it so there's none of that. The right stick is the mouse when in the menus and then the controller is as normal when you're actually playing. When you pause, substitute etc then you use the right stick to move the cursor. It's not that bad now.

The short version @slamsoze is you choose a team and start with the default players and you play mini leagues winning them to unlock others. but the best bit was that when you win you get to choose a player at random from the other team to sign. and you do this after every match gaining more picks as you go along. Thats what its like in pes 2008 in pes 2009 etc its the same buy you can unlock like training ground expansions to get better competitions with better players.
here is a video of what happens when you win a match on pes 2008 version(btw there was no master league on that version on this game mode)

There is also a playthrough on pes 2012 wii (only a few parts theres only 3 in this playlist but i think he did like 6 parts)

Absolutely loved that mode. The cards system was upper fun.
Two cards association could unlock one "special" card, an some special cards togheter unlocked "unique" cards. You got some to get for example "80" on speed to unlock a card etc.
It was even better on the 2009 version.
It was upper cool. I gotted 2008 and 2009 version (similar to PES 6 but better of course, nothing related to PES 2009 "next-gen" for example)
Also i loved the controls, you could launch for example 7 players in attack if you click on them and gives him a direction.

In terms of "full team control", it was by far the most tactical football game ever. Well, for shooting you just got to shake the Wii controller and it was managed by stats only, but it didn't matter at all regarding the system and the freedom you could get with Wii system controls.
Parking the bus manually or left a winger in attack, separated from the whole team, forming a block in the middle etc.

It was PES with PS2 engine (who was already good), but a totally different game in fact. You can't compare, it was more like a mix between a game like some PC tactical RPG with multiple people to move in the same time, and a classic football game.

Dribbling was cool too, but as you saw on vids you couldn't dribble with 360 degree directions, as it was with the nunchuck pad if i remember... But i don't remember if you could select your player and assign him an arrow to make him run or advance to any direction you wanted (I think so if i remember well, so 360 degree but not dynamic as it is with an analog pad)

Last edited:
Absolutely loved that mode. The cards system was upper fun.
Two cards association could unlock one "special" card, an some special cards togheter unlocked "unique" cards. You got some to get for example "80" on speed to unlock a card etc.
It was even better on the 2009 version.
It was upper cool. I gotted 2008 and 2009 version (similar to PES 6 but better of course, nothing related to PES 2009 "next-gen" for example)
Also i loved the controls, you could launch for example 7 players in attack if you click on them and gives him a direction.

In terms of "full team control", it was by far the most tactical football game ever. Well, for shooting you just got to shake the Wii controller and it was managed by stats only, but it didn't matter at all regarding the system and the freedom you could get with Wii system controls.
Parking the bus manually or left a winger in attack, separated from the whole team, forming a block in the middle etc.

It was PES with PS2 engine (who was already good), but a totally different game in fact. You can't compare, it was more like a mix between a game like some PC tactical RPG with multiple people to move in the same time, and a classic football game.

Dribbling was cool too, but as you saw on vids you couldn't dribble with 360 degree directions, as it was with the nunchuck pad if i remember... But i don't remember if you could select your player and assign him an arrow to make him run or advance to any direction you wanted (I think so if i remember well, so 360 degree but not dynamic as it is with an analog pad)
Great breakdown mate. That's why I am begging for a PES on Nintendo Switch. So much possibilities with the joycons, the pro controller, the LITE mode and a pes with the mobile Unreal engine. Add to this the Nintendo creativity freedom, who don't mess with the PESvsFIFA crap competition, and always go the extra mile in innovation, and we could get a modern very decent alternative football sim.

It's kinda relaxing playing Pes 6 on my laptop when wife's watching her shit on the telly
How true. I'm doing this with Kopanito and PES 3 at the moment, but I get the feeling. :D

About option files, there are some good ones around but not many... Nowadays most of them are bundled with patches.

I used to remember that among the great "standalone OF's" there were Crackpot's ones, the ones by Milanista and Mike (here's one uploaded by @Sany023) and the ones by Pategato and Goalgerd (which has relaesed a megapack including some of them not long ago).

Hmm,i need a good (or Original) option file for Pes 6,mine got lost when fiddling with other ones way back (I blame @mattmid and his youth League)

It's kinda relaxing playing Pes 6 on my laptop when wife's watching her shit on the telly

I downloaded Kronos OF enormous collection time ago, 4 bundle folders plenty of Pes 6 OFs of every league and kind. I could up it if you (or anyone else) want it.

Back
Top Bottom