The Retro-PES Corner

Man this 2013 game..

Had the usual bad streak at january.. a lot of draws and some bad defeats. I start to think it's actually programmed to give you hard times in the resume after the winter break, just to simulate the way many are teams actually in bad shape in that moment of the season.

Regardless, it's still very fun and I managed to (at least temporarily) recover with some good wins/results in the second half of february. Two matches shined in particular for me: one I succeeded in drawing from being 0-2/one man less in the first time, and the match with Bari; I was up 1-0, they managed to draw after a truly well fought battle, and right before desperation settled in, in the last minutes I scored this way:

More joy in winning like this than with a bycicle kick goal :D .

By the way, will be difficult to be promoted. It's so damn hard to stay attached to the top three.. I'm 5 points from the third place, I still have more than 10 games left but it's gonna be some tough road to the promotion. I wouldn't particularly mind if it wasn't that I'm scared for the year bug to come back if I stay in B :D

Last edited:
I plowed through the Pes 13 master league to thread,which is from back then.

Needed some answers on some questions.
Like,TP,the most scripted difficulty?
Seems like a few think so (me included)
Cup games being very "computer friendly" check!

So im going to keep at it on SS.
Maybe go Fuma on professional?
But as far as I can remember,playing on professional makes the CPU controlled teams being less realistic Vs each other.
For instance Barcelona/RM/Valencia not really pulling away in the table etc.

One other thing I noticed reading that thread is some people couldn't wait for newer games, especially FIFA because it's going to be better and more realistic.
Oh how wrong we all were on that.

I plowed through the Pes 13 master league to thread,which is from back then.

Needed some answers on some questions.
Like,TP,the most scripted difficulty?
Seems like a few think so (me included)
Cup games being very "computer friendly" check!

So im going to keep at it on SS.
Maybe go Fuma on professional?
But as far as I can remember,playing on professional makes the CPU controlled teams being less realistic Vs each other.
For instance Barcelona/RM/Valencia not really pulling away in the table etc.

One other thing I noticed reading that thread is some people couldn't wait for newer games, especially FIFA because it's going to be better and more realistic.
Oh how wrong we all were on that.

Really? I've never played TP. SS it's already scripted enough for me, if it's as you say TP must be hell on earth!

Really? I've never played TP. SS it's already scripted enough for me, if it's as you say TP must be hell on earth!
I prefer SS Vs TP,even though it's tough as hell,I don't feel cheated,I do it on TP a lot.

Feels pretty realistic,I'm having a hard time in La Liga,which I should since I'm a bottom team.

Grinded out a great game Vs Granada away,0-0 draw,but I created enough to win it,but strikers couldn't make anything good up front.

One thing I like on SS is that the CPU comes at you pretty full force,but if you can ride that out,and get in to the game,it plays very well.

Im looking for a LB and RMF as soon as the window opens

Thanks @slamsoze, corrected it.

Almost half a season later in my ISS Pro Evolution-fueled adventure, I'm 16th in the 16-team International league with 1 win, 3 draws and 9 losses. Ponto Vera is still, somehow, one of the top scorers alongside Anelka. This game is hard.
Technically it was correct, as 2014 was the rushed transition to foxengine.

It was not a pure transition, like ps2 to ps3 or ps3 to PS4, but if you ask me it was something very similar. I mean the point of your phrase was 100% correct.

Also if you ask me again, pes2014 Should be on ps4, as ps3 seemed very underwhelming, to handle Fox Engine+Havoc.

Round of 16 pairs are:

Sweden vs Denmark
Paraguay vs Cameroon
Spain vs Germany
Nigeria vs Uruguay
Italy vs South Korea
Brazil vs Tunisia
Costa Rica vs Russia
Croatia vs Portugal
Crikey, What the hell happened to England & Argentina! 😂
Man this 2013 game..

More joy in winning like this than with a bycicle kick goal :D .
Haha I love this, You're absolutely right though, Firstly when you struggle and you get a scrappy goal like this, You take what ever you can get but secondly there's something very satisfying about watching the ball fly about the place and the way the various players react to it too. The way the keeper tried to hop on top of it on the goal line like an escaped chicken while proclaiming "Gotcha" only for it to fly from his grasp a split second earlier is priceless.

Technically it was correct, as 2014 was the rushed transition to foxengine.

It was not a pure transition, like ps2 to ps3 or ps3 to PS4, but if you ask me it was something very similar. I mean the point of your phrase was 100% correct.

Also if you ask me again, pes2014 Should be on ps4, as ps3 seemed very underwhelming, to handle Fox Engine+Havoc.
Yeah it's a common misconception, Why wouldn't you think they'd mark the debut of a new engine on a new console right? That's why it seemed like a very unseal decision to release a clearly unfinished PES 2014 and risk all that scrutiny which they inevitably faced when a PES 2013.5 certainly wouldn't have been as ridiculed. It's like when you go to a new barber than your regular one and they shave your head off when you only wanted a slight trim. Well you can't reverse it now and you regret even leaving the house because you appreciated your hair wasn't that bad in the first place. That's what PES 2014's release was like.

Why did they do it, Must've been pressure from the top surely? Was they afraid of the ridicule for releasing the same game the 3rd year in a row? Was the pressure of the innovative and beloved FIFA 14 getting to them?

Who knows.

-------------

Here's match day 2 of my All Star League on PES 2010, As usual some very interesting highlights and very surprising audacity show by the AI in this episode. One could say the AI's instincts and decision making are even more life like here than in the modern games.

The European All Stars are on a roll and they take on Lionel Messi's South American's in the most anticipated clash of the league so far!

Crikey, What the hell happened to England & Argentina! 😂

I played three matches with Argentina vs CPU and I wasn't able to win a single one. :( I think this is the first time that I really really planned to advance with a strong team and I didn't succeed. But I drawed with England (1-1 with goals by Crespo and Scholes), so England had the same number of points (4) as Sweden, which had a better goal ratio. Nigeria beat both England and Argentina, (they lost to Sweden 0-4), so they had 6 points and got the first place in the group of death.

Pes 13 is really clicking on all cylinders for me atm.
Tough games vs top/mid table teams,and hard but winning vs bottom teams.
Just beat Espanyol 4-0 at home,Helder Postiga with the Hattrick.
Don’t know if it’s me or not,but I feel a difference in home vs away games,winning or drawing most at home,but very hard away.
That’s something I feel is lost on more modern games.

Unless, of course, you Babangida your team somehow. Get yourself a 9 speed or 8 on a red arrow and it's a hell of a lot easier with the one-two, 45° angle one-on-one system. I don't think Portugal will have that luxury in the squad? In fact, I'm not sure Babangida was around in that game... I think the poor man's Babs was Simeu/Simo of Cameroon... I'll check later. One of those things that's too geeky to Google!

Babs.jpg Simmy.jpg

Here are my guys. Your hot ticket(s) to Master League stardom. Stick Pavia (controversially) in between these two in a front three and you're set.

Just played a bit of ISS Pro 98 and ISS PE back to back. More advancements in the latter than I previously realised. The chipped through ball and one-two, the shot dummy, the knock-on dribble. One-twos in general are more probing compared to the "to feet" efforts of the predecessor. Those introductions don't leave 98 behind though. A fabulous game. Think the ball is more chaotic and unpredictable in it than in any other PS1 instalment.

@Flipper the Priest: Yep, I somehow was able to stop Babangida on a test-ML before this league I'm playing, but once he had the ball on his feet it looks as if everyone else on the pitch is moving underwater except him.
Supposedly, there would be enough talent in this Portugal team for us to make it: Rui Casta, Fego, whatever fake name they gave to Paulo Sousa, Sérgio Conceição...but the manager insists on playing with the default 4-1-3-2 formation that leaves pour Fernando "Cutto" Couto helpless at the back, because for some reason his ever-reliable Portuguese Vornander Jorge Costa is not on the database (the only thing I don't like about ISS PE, by the way).

Big fan of the penalties and keepers on ISS Pro 98.

That swaying side to side on the line, the slight delay on the dive to add to the tension. Also, because of that slight pause, the tried and tested low-down-the-middle is less effective.

Also, looking at the previous shootout on ISS Pro - Konami fairly put a shift in 1997/98. 98 is so much more polished. Especially the commentary.

Big fan of the penalties and keepers on ISS Pro 98.

That swaying side to side on the line, the slight delay on the dive to add to the tension. Also, because of that slight pause, the tried and tested low-down-the-middle is less effective.

Also, looking at the previous shootout on ISS Pro - Konami fairly put a shift in 1997/98. 98 is so much more polished. Especially the commentary.
Enter Sir Axel Fergilon and ye olde hairdryer on Scoles and Backham when returning to Manchester

for some reason his ever-reliable Portuguese Vornander Jorge Costa is not on the database (the only thing I don't like about ISS PE, by the way).

Talking about it, what other excellent exclusions do you guys remember the most from past rosters?

First one that comes in my mind is Batistuta in Pes 3. He was in WE7 and in both Pes 4-5, but he's nowhere to be seen in 3 while still being in activity.

Great to see retro PES still alive and kicking. As if it wouldn't be given the state of the current attempts at footy games.

I'm feeling rather pleased with myself for not succumbing to temptation and instead sticking with retro for the first time in 20 years. My current game of choice remains PES 2011 but on the PS2. It really is a gem of a game - very PES6 but with a ruthless AI and all the ML bells and whistles that we all miss from the PS3 version.

My aim is to win some kind of silverware on this game (I'm currently 12 seasons in!) before moving onto something else. I have to say MafiaMurderBag's PES 2010 adventures have me eyeing up a return to that game. I wonder if it still holds up.

Last edited:
Just played few games of pes 2013 ML on ps2. Got cocky and selected superstar. Its brutal. The gulf in quality between top teams and default ML player is massive. Even drawing a game feels like a win.
Playing Club Line Up,with a shit team on SS,it's tough,though I've had a 3-1 and a 4-0 win,it's fight for your life in D.
Got RM and Barca coming up...

Just played few games of pes 2013 ML on ps2. Got cocky and selected superstar. Its brutal. The gulf in quality between top teams and default ML player is massive. Even drawing a game feels like a win.

Wait a sec. They reintroduced 6 stars/superstar on Ps2 for 2013?! While a sixth level is available on J-Leagues Championships (can't remember if in them all), I thought they never put it back in those old gen PAL games after they removed it in Pes 6 :SHOCK: ..

I'm experimenting with widescreen hacks for PES 2 (Winning Eleven 6 FE). It looks gorgeous, I can't wait to show it to you guys. It plays so good, but when you run the emulator and record the video at the same time it lags on a lower end computer like mine. Still, I've managed to record it at 30 fps, you'll see. :)

SO I failed prom, as expected. I was going with a decent rythm but after losing the direct bout against Genoa I simply couldn't keep up. However, after completing the market, with my great relief and pleasure I could appreciate there was no blank championship bug this time.. what triggered it it's still a mistery. Maybe my better placement grant me to play the Cup a month later and not prior to the season, that might screw things up, but I can't think anything else.

Anyway, I had to revolutionize the roster, since two of my pillars (Baiocco, who was also my captain and Ely, respectively GK and CB) revelead to be treacherous scum and asked to be sold after I refused offers to them. However their transfers, united with the other ones, gave me the chance to pick up 8 new players with which I hope I'll be able to be a bit more competitive. That's my team as of now:

pes2013 2020-10-16 23-22-50-18.jpg pes2013 2020-10-16 23-22-51-60.jpg

Entering in my fourth (real) season and still no guarantees I'll be promoted. This game is so damn tough, but equally rewarding at the same time!

Quick question for you Retro purists, I am thinking of revisiting PES4/WE8 International for old times' sake.

Is PES4's AI difficulty more challenging than WE8? For instance, I believe WE9 International was slightly more difficult than PES5 if I am not mistaken? Cheers.

Good to see history being 'rewritten'.

Never seen such a scandalous and bias refereeing in my life. Wonder how much did the bookies pay him that day :D

Against Spain it was even worse. I think I read this referee was later arrested for drug trafficking.

World Cup 2002 is the one I always want to play again on PES, unfortunately this patch does not run so smoothly on my laptop. There was just so much going on in the real WC that I wonder what a great tournament it could have been. I remember there was an extremely short break between CL final and the 1st WC game, many stars were injured or simply tired and played like bad copies of themselves. And then the referees....

With the time difference and because the pay TV almost had the exclusive rights here it was a must to watch a highlight show in free TV every night. Almost no live games were shown in free TV, and then at a time we had to stay in school. Turkey played Brazil one morning and the Turkish guys at school received SMS from their fathers with the goals, I remember the enthusiasm when they took the lead and the disappontment when their Nokia 3310 vibrated again with the short messages: "1-1" and "1-2". Strangest World Cup I can remember from that point of view. But it always has a special place in my heart for these little anecdotes.

As usual, before the WC we were all talking about who will be World Champion, most people said France or Argentina, Portugal was also a favorite, same as Italy. Some also said England after the humiliation of Germany in Munich. As far as I remember Brazil wasn't mentioned a lot, at least in my little circle of school friends. We were shocked to see all the favorites lose early while one of the weakest German sides ever won one game after the other thanks to the brillant performances of Oliver Kahn. Senegal came out of nowhere and after this WC didn't show up again for a long time.There were so many great players around at this time I always thought how amazing it could have been if they were all around in their best form and with good referees. Thanks to PES 6 and all these patches it is possible to rewrite history.

I played a lot of PES 2017 on PS4 again, I was pleasantly surprised with the high number of fouls compared to the newer games like 2020. This and the fact the season update 2021 won't include the famous stadium of Inter and AC Milan anymore makes it easy for me to say no to the new PES for the 1st time since 2015. In the end, sooner or later I always return to PES 5 and 6 anyway. I always like the Korean Patch for PES 6 with 2008-09 season, I worked a lot on the Option File and now have a long term save running, playing a Serie A season as all 20 teams. I don't know if I will ever finish it but at least 6 match days are played already. I might upload a highlight video with some goals soon. Also the Firebird patch of 2019-20 is great. What I liked the most however was the new Shollym patch with special OF for harder gameplay. I hope to also find patches for 20-21 season soon. Old PES games are simply the best, and I would like to thank all the people who keep it alive with these amazing works. It just never gets boring and is still challenging after so many years and so many matches played.

Back
Top Bottom