Top Spin 4

so top spin4 isnt the best tennis game about?
In my opinion, no.

To casual fans of the sport (as I suspect most of you are, this being a football/PES site) it's probably the most appealing due to the presentation/graphics/animations etc. but as I said, to anyone who understands/plays tennis to a competent level will find the gameplay laughable...

Have you tried dialing down the visual options in the settings menu ? You should be able to find a configuration that's smooth.
Yeah I tried that - even with everything set to the lowest level and the lowest resolution it was only just playable (still a bit choppy) in training mode, my laptop has pretty much no GPU and struggles even with the likes of PES5! TE plays on high settings very smoothly for me though, but it doesn't really have any demanding lighting effects.

From what I played of Full Ace though, it was promising, but not quite a complete game that could compete with TE - that was months ago and newer versions may have streamlined the game a bit.

Dream Match Tennis used to be another very good sim-like game, but recent versions seemed to have made it quite arcadey/broken, not touched it in months since I bought TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Tennis or Game, Net, Match were the best two in my opinion.

Also liked Virtua Tennis 2 and Tennis Elbow is great when you get into it but it has a very steep learning curve and takes ages to master.

Have not played Top Spin since Top Spin 2 but the reason for this is they were both incredibly easy you only need to play a couple of games then you can win very easily on the hardest settings, especially Top Spin 2 that is the easiest tennis game I ever played.

Last edited:
Virtua Tennis 3 was the best version, the games you could get online with that were incredible if both gamers were brilliant at the game. 2009 was awful not played the latest game yet.

PC or ps3? I might get it. I had vt2 on ps2. I liked it. though very arcadey.

I treid demo of new one and again gameplay is very arcadey and not much thought. But the career is fun world tour and silly side games and stuff like that. I think it does well for being a fun game.

Top spin 4 focuses on being a sim in career/game modes as well as gameplay and as a result gets boring.

In my opinion, Top Spin 4 is very far from being a sim (except as I said earlier, if we're speaking about simulating tennis on the moon)

yeh thats the problem it focuss on being a sim but isnt really.

Its not aiming to be arcadey and isnt completely...in the end its neither full arcade or sim but tries to be sim in its career mode and presentation.

Overall it ends up quite boring.

Whereas virtua tennis aims to be, tries to be and sells itself as an arcade game. It does what it says on the tin. And can be fun in small doses.

yeh thats the problem it focuss on being a sim but isnt really.

Its not aiming to be arcadey and isnt completely...in the end its neither full arcade or sim but tries to be sim in its career mode and presentation.

Overall it ends up quite boring.

Whereas virtua tennis aims to be, tries to be and sells itself as an arcade game. It does what it says on the tin. And can be fun in small doses.

I agree if you're looking for an arcade game, you may as well go for the real deal, and one that sells as so. As far as I'm concerned, though, arcade sports games get boring very fast. When it comes to tennis, as a real life player and hardcore fan, I want a video game that's true to the real sport experience.

I agree if you're looking for an arcade game, you may as well go for the real deal, and one that sells as so. As far as I'm concerned, though, arcade sports games get boring very fast. When it comes to tennis, as a real life player and hardcore fan, I want a video game that's true to the real sport experience.

and that is ''full ace''

whats the deal? it has single player career mode?

Ill dowload the demo

whats tennis elbow like?

and that is ''full ace''

whats the deal? it has single player career mode?

Ill dowload the demo

The deal is that ball trajectories are realistic, that you can attempt most shots a pro would be able to, and aim for all angles, but any shot can go out depending on your positioning, timing and such.

whats tennis elbow like?

I can't really say much about tennis elbow as I tried the demo and don't like its gameplay. Ball trajectories look ok but it feels like there are only a few different ones that repeat all along the rallies. When looking at videos from accomplished players I mostly saw neverending rallies of topspin shots, very stereotyped in my opinion.

The deal is that ball trajectories are realistic, that you can attempt most shots a pro would be able to, and aim for all angles, but any shot can go out depending on your positioning, timing and such.

ok thats gameplay and it has realistic career mode? online etc?

and tennis elbow?

ok thats gameplay and it has realistic career mode? online etc?

You may play online, though as the game isn't very well known, it isn't crowdy.
There is only a season mode (but with 2000 players and 500+ tournaments) for now as some features like stamina and player evolution are not implemented yet. But the game is updated frequently (without additional fee) and the career mode is the top priority.

You may play online, though as the game isn't very well known, it isn't crowdy.
There is only a season mode (but with 2000 players and 500+ tournaments) for now as some features like stamina and player evolution are not implemented yet. But the game is updated frequently (without additional fee) and the career mode is the top priority.

cool real players? real tournaments?

i guess i should check the website

cheers

top spin 4 could be playble if it had 64 male players and maybe 32 female players. but with 20 players all together is just plain boring since the gameplay is a bit like ping pong.

btw rockstar table tennis was a hell of a game.

Haha well maybe not as bad as Tennis Elbow but they are still pretty awful.

They're enough for me, I'm sure it could be much better if they had more financial means. After all, any studio with big money is able to make pretty games. Big money, however, doesn't automatically buy a good gameplay and an interesting game.

top spin 4 could be playble if it had 64 male players and maybe 32 female players. but with 20 players all together is just plain boring since the gameplay is a bit like ping pong.

There are almost 2000 players in Full Ace ;)
They can be edited and you can even create as many more as you like. And they all feature in the ATP-sized circuit the game offers.

Back
Top Bottom