Top Spin 4

it must be something about the on line.

I only play offline and i find the game awsome, the more i play the more i like it, it has depth and fun and challenge written all over it. reminds me of the old pes.

If anyone is interested in a REAL tennis simulation, try this game:

http://www.fullacetennis.com/

It´s an independent game that cares only with simulation aspects of the game, if they had some more support to make better animations the game would be even better, but even with poor animations is the best tennis game around. Yes, much better than TS4 or VT.

It´s an independent game that cares only with simulation aspects of the game, if they had some more support to make better animations the game would be even better, but even with poor animations is the best tennis game around. Yes, much better than TS4 or VT.

at last one game that has worse animations than pes!!!!

good ball physics. the rest is crap.

I agree, it's between Full Ace and Dream Match for me - both very good simulation-type tennis games.

I like how in Full Ace you have to prepare your player before taking the shot - can easily be done on a controller with the shoulder buttons (L1/R1) as well so doesn't make it much more difficult. There's an option to turn it off but it's a good thing to have IMO, makes inside-out shots very natural.

The line calls are even wrong sometimes when it's close, and you have to challenge the decisions, another realistic element.

Might buy it once an accurate roster is made and available for download (there's a player creator thing) and the game becomes more popular.

good ball physics.
Exactly, that's what matters.

Realistic gameplay > Animations/graphics... Other examples;

Virtual Pool 3 > WSC Real '11
WE9LE > FIFA 11

If i spend my money i want the full package. Animations and gameplay and gamemodes and presentation.

I don't care much about license.

I think top spin 4 is the best package outhere. Limited roster is my only complain.

Nope, Tennis Elbow 2011 is THE best tennis sim, better than Full Ace and Dream Match Tennis.

I say this due to the fact that each shot has a curvature about it like you see in real life tennis, i.e. slice shots actually curve in flight, this gives the ball movement the depth of PES and FIFA, and just like we see in all other sports games except most Tennis games.

It pi**es me off so much that each time Top Spin and Virtua Tennis get new versions released, only the serve shots actually bend in flight, ALL other shots are straight as the preverbial dye.

Ok, I forgot, we can swerve all OUR shots in Virtua Tennis but the CPU AI doesnt have this in they're locker, and in Top Spin you will see EVERY damn shot fly perfectly straight. Sim my ar*e.

ahahah,

those 3 tennis games are a pile of pc garbage.

but since they are for pc...it's pure gold for some people here.

but i suggest u people make a specific thread about those games. this should be about top spin 4.

Nope, Tennis Elbow 2011 is THE best tennis sim, better than Full Ace and Dream Match Tennis.

I say this due to the fact that each shot has a curvature about it like you see in real life tennis, i.e. slice shots actually curve in flight, this gives the ball movement the depth of PES and FIFA, and just like we see in all other sports games except most Tennis games.

It pi**es me off so much that each time Top Spin and Virtua Tennis get new versions released, only the serve shots actually bend in flight, ALL other shots are straight as the preverbial dye.

Ok, I forgot, we can swerve all OUR shots in Virtua Tennis but the CPU AI doesnt have this in they're locker, and in Top Spin you will see EVERY damn shot fly perfectly straight. Sim my ar*e.
I love the physics of Tennis Elbow, but I found that the rallies were ridiculously long, whereas in DMT and Full Ace they seem to be much more realistic in length.

Still, a good tennis game no doubt.

For me, in order;
1) DMT
2) Full Ace
3) Tennis Elbow
4) Top Spin 4

Will VT be any better? i hope it is, TS4 is very bad imo.
Nope, VT will always be typical VT, never expect the gameplay to change much from the original Dreamcast version!

ahahah,

those 3 tennis games are a pile of pc garbage.

but since they are for pc...it's pure gold for some people here.

but i suggest u people make a specific thread about those games. this should be about top spin 4.
You don't half talk some crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
ffs. why is VT the same damm game from 30 years ago! time for Sega to move on
Hmm, I don't blame them really - as an arcade game Virtua Tennis was great fun, and that's its intention.
You see the original VT in amusement arcades all over the world even today, it's a formula that worked.

However, as a console game to sit down and get stuck into, it just doesn't work IMO, but there is a place in the market for an arcadey tennis game - I just wish there were a "mainstream" hardcore-sim tennis game rather than two unrealistic ones...

Top Spin 4 Patch Notes - XBOX 360 & PlayStation 3

Hello all,

Below you will find the details for the Top Spin 4 patch that was released May 9th, 2011 for XBOX 360 and PlayStation 3. Please boot up your Internet-connected console with the game disc inserted to receive the update. Enjoy!

Thanks,

Top Spin 4 Dev Team

XBOX 360

General

■User modified profiles are now detectable and cheaters will be banned.
■Dpad control is now enabled.
■Fixed a bug where Control Shot icon does not disappear in cutscene.
■Rude words are now properly filtered when combined with other letters.
■Sparring Partner Training text is now displayed properly in Spanish version of the game.
■Music tracks no longer overlap in specific cases.
■Coach info is now properly displayed.
■"Percentage Tennis 6 points" unlock description is now always displayed properly.
■Fixed a bug where camera settings weren’t saved properly.
■Vera Zvonareva hair and depth of field on racket bug has been fixed.
■Directional pad control is now enabled for player movement.
General Online

■Fixed a bug where user wasn’t given the Join Session popup when invited by a friend during or after the loading screen and is taken into Online gameplay.
■Fixed a bug where players were invisible in entering cutscene after rematching online match.
■Fixed a bug where client was unable to exit player match properly when he has accepted invite in "Controller assign screen"
■User now gets "Connection lost" message way faster than before if connection to opponent is lost during replay.
■Fixed a bug where ping icons were not displayed correctly.
■Fixed a bug where bad connection or lags caused player movement animation to be interrupted.
■Fixed a bug where Strict NAT settings would cause users to get stuck in the lobby with the message “Looking for best opponent…”.
World Tour

■User no longer receives "No Opponents were found before the countdown timer ended. Please try again later." when leaving the match lobby before countdown reaches 0.
■Fixed the case when the 8th player joins a lobby right before the countdown ends, they will appear to be in their own lobby yet still connect to another player correctly.
■The game no longer crashes when re-entering World Tour from gender select menu after forfeiting Sparring Partner Training.
■Fixed a bug where user and CPU players were stuck in the net after loading World Tour Sparring Partner Training.
■The B button is now unavailable to be pressed after player selects "PLAY" option in Sparring Partner Training in World Tour.
■Male players are now able to see correct stats of female players in World Tour and vice versa.
■Fixed various game crashes in World Tour Sparring Partner Training.
■Entering World Tour no longer causes 2K open rating reset in specific cases.
■Player name is now always properly displayed in Select screen in World Tour.
■The player saved on the memory card is now present on the selection screen in World Tour when starting the game with the memory card.
Player Match

■Fixed a bug where it was unable to invite a friend to Player match lobby when disconnected from Sparring Partner Training during gameplay.
Offline modes

■Points gained from tournaments in Career mode are now calculated properly for user and AI players.

PlayStation 3

General

■Player creator text is now properly displayed on 4:3 TV.
■Fixed a bug where Control Shot icon does not disappear in cutscene.
■"Power shot icon" now appears properly in 3D mode.
■Fixed a bug where user was unable to save player when Top Spin server is down.
■Coach's skills list is now displaying correct buttons for all skills.
■Coach info is now properly displayed.
■Sparring Partner Training test is now displayed properly in Spanish version of the game.
■Italian description of coaches’ skill has been fixed.
■Fixed exploit where player was able to unlock trophies when loading user data of different user.
■Correct message is now displayed when user attempts to load save that was created with different profile.
■Vera Zvonareva hair and depth of field on racket bug has been fixed.
■Unlocks are now displayed properly in in-game Recap Screen.
■Fixed a bug where accepting invite erased Unlocks progress.
■Directional pad control is now enabled for player movement.
PlayStation®Move fixes

■PlayStation®Move controller doesn't lose vibrating functionality when assigning to specific port.
■Specific fixes to ensure PlayStation®Move motion controller is now recognized properly.
■T button of the motion controller is now displayed when connecting Move controller.
General Online

■Fixed a bug where players were invisible in entering cutscene after rematching online match.
■Fixed a bug where created player disappeared from Player Select screen after accepting invite from a friend.
■The user is now able to proceed past the lobby and into gameplay when playing against players from different region.
■User now gets "Connection lost" message much faster than before if connection to opponent is lost during replay.
■Fixed a bug where ping icons were not displayed correctly.
■Fixed an issue when game crashed and erased all save data while accepting invite during loading screen.
■Fixed a bug where players got “frozen” during online game.
■Fixed a bug where bad connection or lag caused player movement animation to be interrupted.
■Fixed a bug where Strict NAT settings would cause users to get stuck in the lobby with the message “Looking for best opponent…”.
World Tour

■User no longer receives "No Opponents were found before the countdown timer ended. Please try again later." when leaving the match lobby before countdown reaches 0.
■Fixed crash that occurred when entering World Tour from Gender select menu right after forfeiting Sparring Partner Training match.
■Fixed various game crashes in World Tour Sparring Partner Training.
■Fixed a bug where user and CPU players were stuck in the net after loading World Tour Sparring Partner Training.
■Male players are now able to see correct stats of female players in World Tour and vice versa.
■Entering World Tour no longer causes 2K open rating reset in specific cases.
Player Match

■Player is now able to exit Player match properly after being invited by a friend.
■Client is now able to exit player match properly when they have accepted invite in "Pad assign screen"
Offline modes

■Specific crashes in Career mode have been fixed.
■Fixed collision detection between zones in Top Spin Academy.
■Points gained from tournaments in Career mode are now calculated properly for user and AI players.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/top-spin/top-spin-4-patch-notes-xbox-360-playstation-3/223928650955598

I love this game to death but have been unable to hit one ace in over 30+ matches. I'm using the advanced serve but can't come close to hitting the lines. Anyone have any advice?

I hit 3 in 100 games i think. all 3 of them with williams.

Hold the left stick a tiny bit on the left and down.

But i think for gameplay purposes aces are to be limited. if exploited it could be a game killer like the infamous low cross in pes 2011.

I love this game to death but have been unable to hit one ace in over 30+ matches. I'm using the advanced serve but can't come close to hitting the lines. Anyone have any advice?

Just pull left or right on the left stick for direction. I hit two last night in my first session with the game.

I must say, I really like this, much better than the last Topspin game that I had on the Xbox. Really impressed. There is an issue though for some reason with the DLC. When I download it, the game wont boot. It gives an error code 8000514 or something like that. I had to remove it from my HD for it to boot. And even then, there was an issue. It was resolved when I switched of my PS3, so it must be something to so with that. :CONFUSE:

Discovered the latest installment of the Top Spin series today... and it is really addictive. Love to have the opportunity to play with Pistol Pete or Agassi (I'm a bit older :D ).

Like it!

It's easy to slag off the roster of a game that actually pays for its licenses, it's very obvious that Tennis Elbow is using all these players without the legal rights to do so.
I'm not sure how Tennis Elbow manages to get all of the real player names that it has, or if it's even legal.

Top Spin however is ridiculous for it's lack of players - imagine a football game with just 10 teams...
If you can't get the licenses, at least make the game heavily and easily moddable - if we could create and share players, and add them into the World Tour mode in TS then it would be more acceptable, I don't own the game but I presume you can't add 500+ real players to the tour...

Looks like it could be quite good, way too expensive though.
£15 too expensive? :CONFUSE:

It's a game made by a small team who focus their attention on gameplay and listen to feedback from the customers, actively using the forums to see what people like/dislike, identify bugs/glitches and see what people would like to see changed/implemented in the future, and releasing new versions quite often to improve the game.

I think it's quite cheap considering that you can easily pay £30+ for unrealistic and basic sports games dressed up in fancy graphics, made by companies who will happily take your money and do a runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the line ups from TS3 compared to TS4:

TS3
Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal (PS3)
James Blake
David Nalbandian
Andy Murray
Andy Roddick
Tomáš Berdych
Mario Ančić
Gaël Monfils
Tommy Haas
Mark Philippoussis

Justine Henin

Caroline Wozniacki
Amélie Mauresmo
Maria Sharapova
Nicole Vaidišová
Svetlana Kuznetsova

TS4
Roger Federer
Rafael Nadal
James Blake
Novak Djoković
Andy Murray
Andy Roddick
Nikolay Davydenko
Stanislas Wawrinka
Gilles Simon
Bernard Tomic

Serena Williams
Caroline Wozniacki
Ana Ivanović
Vera Zvonareva
Jelena Janković
Dinara Safina
Eugenie Bouchard

Some of the decisions seem a bit strange. Bouchard in and Sharapova out?
Tomic and Simon in for Nalbandian and Berdych / Monfils seems bizzare. That's not even taking into account players not in TS3 they could have added (e.g. Tsonga, Ferrer, Youzhny, or Schiavone or Azarenka)

Last edited:

I say this due to the fact that each shot has a curvature about it like you see in real life tennis, i.e. slice shots actually curve in flight

Sorry to revive this thread just for that, but if you're saying this you never actually played Full Ace. It has always included topspin and backspin curvatures, and latest versions even include lateral curvature in all shots.

ive got this on ps3 if anyone wants games.

I played a bit of single player seemed quite reptitive gameplay but then again I never tried for long and tennis is quite a simple game

ive got this on ps3 if anyone wants games.

I played a bit of single player seemed quite reptitive gameplay but then again I never tried for long and tennis is quite a simple game

pong is more fun than most tennis games. tennis ain't a good sport for videogaming in general.

Last edited:
Is Full Ace basic like Tennis Elbow? That game reminded so much of Sensi Soccer back on the Amiga.
This attitude is stupid.

It's no more basic than the mainstream tennis games (TS/TV/GST) in everything but visuals/sfx/superficials, and the gameplay is infinitely deeper and more tactical.

Tennis is a fairly simple sport... Simply put, you hit the ball into the other side of the court and past the opponent - you don't have stuff like complex teamwork or off-the-ball runs to deal with like football or basketball (obviously), but that doesn't mean that there's no tactics involved in the sport.

I don't want to repeat myself again, but anyone who has played tennis at a decent level in real life and/or watches it a lot will understand - tennis games needn't be "Pong HD", and TE2011 isn't, can't comment on Full Ace as it wouldn't run smoothly on my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom