UEFA Champions League 2014/2015

But on the other hand, UEFA follows rules when it's about relatively important matches. When Vojvodina played against Trencin in this year EL qualifications, in an away game they lost 4:0, but Trencin used a player that they couldn't, yet UEFA did not give a single f*** about it (it would matter since Vojvodina won home game 3:0). I guess they were like, who does give a f*** about those teams, whoever passes this round will lose to Hull City in the next anyway. :THINK:

I still think Celtic should do the decent thing and forfeit.
Not for Legia, but for Maribor.

IMO both Celtic and Legia don't deserve to be in the CL.
And this is coming from somebody who really likes Celtic.

And Celtic forfeit £20m?

And what happens to the EL? To Celtic forfeit another £5-7m?

Although it's a great way to bankrupt teams.

I see where your coming from, but it's not going to happen and I don't believe any club whether it be Real Madrid, Man Utd or Crewe Alexandra would do similar. No-one would give a shit if Celtic did it anyway, teams need money, not plaudits.

FD

i really don't see why all this fuss. legia are a professional club, right? they're not an amateur club. they have people working for them, right? people who are paid to do what we might assume isn't exactly a very difficult job...
they knew the rules... and the consequences of their violantion. they are the ones who messed up. so what are we talking about exactly?

and why would it be "noble" or "decent" on celtic's part to step back? have legia been unfairly treated perhaps? no, they simply paid the price for their sloppiness, as it happens to all of us in our lives.
they were responsible of their own misfortune... and even though the penalty might appear way too harsh, the people at legia were aware of that penalty, which was all the more reason to focus on their job.
it is noble or decent to sacrifice onself in order to right a wrong, but there's no wrong to be righted here; and if celtic were to step back (which they obviously won't, and rightfully so) they wouldn't get any plaudit from the likes of me. i would simply laugh at their stupidity.

it's also worth mentioning that, as edmundo already pointed out, fifa would most definitely punish celtic if they were to take any course of action other than taking legia's spot.
and even that punishment wouldn't be harsh or undeserved, because stupidity, just like sloppiness, has its own price.

i'm 100% with edmundo on this one.
i sympathize with legia players, who beated their opponent on the pitch, but it was their own club who let them down, not fifa, and certainly not celtic.

Last edited:
After those two matches, Celtic don't deserve to go through.
There are precedents of clubs who did something similar.

After those two matches, Celtic don't deserve to go through.

that may well be the case, but one might argue that, according to the rulebook, legia didn't deserve to go through either.

anyway, after reading your post, i quickly googled "legia-celtic precedent" and, as as it turns out, u're right. so i guess there is some legitimacy to legia's claims afterall.
i honestly don't know where i stand on this affaire anymore :P

there's one thing we can probably all agree on though. uefa is quickly turning into as big a joke as fifa.

Saying that Celtic should forfeit makes no sense. They had nothing to do with the problem and that would benefit another team that had nothing to do also. Only Legia is too blame, although I fell that is an unjust punishment. The player in fact didn't play two matches; UEFA in this case should understand that there was a mere technical error, and maybe give a strong financial sanction, but never exclude Legia from the next round.

Celtic shouldn't be "punished" also. They lost on the field, but they didn't won in secretariat. It was Legia who lost on the secretariat.

Well UEFA have ruled against the appeal, looks like Legia are going to CAS now.

What precedent has been set already for a suspended player, wasn't aware of this? I heard of the idiotic Debrecen incident but that was quickly knocked on the head with people not understanding regulations/rule books etc i.e. people being a bit thick. :p

FD

Celtic will be kicked out pretty quickly anyway as it's not Deila's style to play 6-4-0 as Lennon did in difficult matches.

Only Legia is too blame, although I fell that is an unjust punishment.

But rules are rules Andy, you may feel that the punishment is unjust but Legia cannot complain as the punishment is well known, and it was known before the match. It's like players getting yellow cards for taking their shirt off after scoring - even if people think it's harsh, every player knows the sanction - if you take your shirt off you get a yellow, so no players can complain when it happens. It is the same scenario here, if you field a player who is banned you will forfit the game 1-0 - I'm astounded at how so many people dont have the capacity to understand this.

The player in fact didn't play two matches; UEFA in this case should understand that there was a mere technical error, and maybe give a strong financial sanction, but never exclude Legia from the next round.

The point is players have to be registered for games in which they are banned otherwise they do not serve the ban during those games and the ban wont expire. Berezinski wasn't registered for the game against St. Pats and so he didn't serve his ban during that game. The Legia vs St.Pats game had no more bearing on Berezinski's suspension than say the EL final (Benfica v Sevilla) last season - both games took place after Berezinski's red card (vs Apollon) and crucially both games didn't involve him in any way since he wasn't registered.

You say it was a "mere technical error", but if UEFA / CAS / Celtic pandered to this ham-fisted Legia campaign (this sentimental crap of "oh look at us were a poor Polish club nobody loves us") then it would set a dangerous precident. Chelsea could have made a "a mere technical error" and played John Terry in the CL final in 2012, Uruguay could have tried to play Suarez for the R16 match against Colombia, Croatia could have played Mandzukic vs Brazil, Portugal could have played Pepé against the USA. Afterall these were players serving bans as well.

@cfdh_edmundo. The thing about the examples that you presented is that they would play the next game, and not the game after that, so that's is not a comparable situation with a player that miss two games, and play the third thinking that he already fulfil his ban. That's not the same.

I understand that rules are rules, but there's the spirit of the law and the letter of the law. This doesn't mean that UEFA could give a softer punishment, I don't know the rules, nor the principles behind them, so I'm not making any type of judgment, just think that UEFA should at least revise this rule. The punishment does not fit the crime, IMO, because this is a UEFA mistake also. The player should never been allowed to play in the first place. Since he was banned, UEFA shouldn't let Legia put him in the match-day squad. Simple as that. I know that they have a lot of games to supervise, but there's in every UEFA match a person (other than the ref) responsible to watch if everything goes by the rules. He failed his job in this instance (or the informatics system does not have these kinds of info, etc.). This big mess could be avoid if UEFA control things like they suppose to, and the on-pitch justice could be followed.

Whilst I can understand what your saying, surely UEFA notify the club of suspensions so as I actually work in administration it's upto 'administration' to ensure that these are taken into account.

As said, it's a rule with a designated penalty, they haven't made up a score, it's there in black and white. Into the bargain, if it doesn't fit the crime, then what penalty are we talking? A fine? A player ban for a few games? So Ronaldo is supsended for the UEFA Cup Final. Ancelotti thinks 'feck it' I'm playing him as we'll only get a £100,000 fine or the player get's banned from facing Viktoria Plzen and Celtic in the group stage.

ZerotheHero - By the way, Ronny Deila was supposedly bringing in attacking flowing football, it's been anything but, sorry I was never a great Lennon fan, but Deila hasn't impressed me with his tactics and some of his team selection. Into the bargain, him and the board need lined up and shot for not bringing in a striker as yet, it's laughable.

FD

in match Slovan Bratislava against BATE Borisov, our ultras sector will be closed because some racist shouts on opposite tribune :o but club and delegate in last match didn't hear anything
the most important match in our modern history and they close sector which create all the atmosphere during the match
UEFA MAFIA!!! they care only about the money, not about football and fans
its better for UEFA if will be in group stage BATE then Slovan!

As said, it's a rule with a designated penalty, they haven't made up a score, it's there in black and white. Into the bargain, if it doesn't fit the crime, then what penalty are we talking? A fine? A player ban for a few games? So Ronaldo is supsended for the UEFA Cup Final. Ancelotti thinks 'feck it' I'm playing him as we'll only get a £100,000 fine or the player get's banned from facing Viktoria Plzen and Celtic in the group stage.

Sorry, but if a TV station knows what players are banned how in the world a UEFA delegate can miss these bans? If CR7 is banned don't let him dress up for the game. Simple as that. If the team insist, make them loss by 3-0 prior even to the game being played.

UEFA is a professional organisation, they should have all the data available prior to the game. So a mess like this can be avoided.

So do i, Stef. Great player and a fantastic role model for my football playing son who is very talented but also very litle.

Celtic is out for sure this time, Maribor were definitely the better team and deserve to go through.
also wont it be funny as fuck if celtic and legia are drawn into the same group in the europa league:LOL:

Last edited:
Celtic is out for sure this time, Maribor were definitely the better team and deserve to go through.
also wont it be funny as fuck if celtic and legia are drawn into the same group in the europa league:LOL:
Wait is that even possible :CONFUSE:

Wait is that even possible :CONFUSE:

Yes I think it is. After losing last night Celtic have dropped into the Europa League group stage by default. Legia dropped into the Europa Play Off and are 1-0 up (with an away goal) against Aqtobe of Kazakhstan so they also look like going into the Europa League group stage.

Of course all this (dangerously) assumes that the morons running Legia Warsaw can actually fill in a team sheet for the second leg against Aqtobe.

I hope not, as it could be another heavy defeat for Celtic.

The chickens have came home to roost with our penny pinching board, hope they're happy now, have been very lucky in recent years to qualify for CL, and thought they'd do it again.

Don't have any faith in the people running the club and Deila doesn't have clue, should be sacked straight away for failing to bring in a striker, that alone is a sacking offence.

FD

Great drama in the Ludogorets vs Steaua match. It's 1-0 so 1-1 on aggregate, goes to extra time in the last seconds the Ludogorets keeper rushes out to tackle and gets a red card, they made all 3 subs and so Moti a Romanian center back (who played for Steaua's big rivals Dinamo Bucharest) has to go in goal, he saves a free kick and then in the shoot out takes the first pen scores it and then saves 2 Steaua pens to win it for Ludogortes

Back
Top Bottom