World Cup 2010 - England Thread

Yeah and he was totally right. I don't really rate Green that highly, he's good but he's not anywhere near top class and never will be. He's 30 and he's played what, 5 seasons in the Premier League and spent the rest of the time in the 2nd tier of English football. If he was good enough a better team would have picked him up.

Personally, I'd have gone with James but his fitness is in question so I guess Fabio had no choice as Hart, although the most naturally talented, is too young really.

I saw a stat a few weeks ago that the player in the Premier League who's mistakes directly resulted in the most goals last season was Green. Crackin' stuff to be taking to a World Cup.

We haven't had a really good keeper since Seaman.

He is a Muppet, on another note I thought England were not that good, seems everyone was happy with this performance, we looked toothless and bereft of ideas..
SWP looks like he's playing at school level...

It wasn't great but it wasn't that bad.

If Lampard finishes that cut back from Lennon, SWP scores that one-on-one or that long ranger from Rooney creeps in we're looking at a different score. It's not like we didn't create chances, the US defended quite well and we missed the chances we did make.

England did ok yesterday, Green's error was horrendous. However that performance would not have had the likes of Spain, Argentina and Brazil worried.

For me Capello has to get Rooney to play like he does for United, for the last 18 months he hasn't really played well for England. For the next game I would be tempted to go to a 4-4-1-1 formation, bring in either Gareth Barry or Michael Carrick, push Gerrard forward and bring in Joe Cole on the left side. England will also have to wary of the Algerians, they are no world beater but they do possess ALOT of pace in attacking positions which will cause the likes of Terry and Carragher problems.

As with all things England, the media has gone overboard in it's criticism, hopefully last night will help bring down the inflated expectations.

I'm not saying it was that bad, just toothless..
We couldn't break USA, there will be far bigger games than this (if we qualify) and with the forwards we have we are going to rely on either the midfield getting up or some very good crosses and I saw little of that...

Yeah but toothless makes it sound like we couldn't break them down at all! We scored once and I just showed 3 examples of chances we could or should have finished and I'd forgotten Heskey's storm down the centre.

Rooney still looks like he's recovering from the injury that ended his league season early, he's not quite firing on all cylinders just yet.

Last edited:
Heseky should not even be in the england. His fucking shit

You really don't have the slightest clue about football, do you ?
Have you seen that marvelous assist from Heskey?
He's one of England's most important players and all his teammates acknowledge that...
Heskey is the living proof that the best team is not about the 11 eleven best players. IMO is the most underrated player in the English competition.

Everyone makes mistakes.

Green is still a top keeper and will repay for the faith shown in him. I felt really bad for him. But that's why as players you are encouraged to shoot. And US did a lot of that. They don't have to be great shots, with this ball and the pressure this high, anything can happen. So it's worth having long-range efforts rather than passing ball million times around trying to create perfect opening like some teams do.

I thought England played fairly well. The result may have not been what many were hoping for but it's not a bad one. You went up against a very good team and did your best and were a little unlucky not to get the win.

Just as I thought, US and England both proved they are good teams in my opinion. And unless Slovenia and Algeria massively surprise us tomorrow with one showing serious quality, I wouldn't say there's much to worry about.

Compeletely agre ewith that view, not surprisingly, it comes from a neutral, not a fan...
England did well against a difficult team.

You really don't have the slightest clue about football, do you ?
Have you seen that marvelous assist from Heskey?
He's one of England's most important players and all his teammates acknowledge that...
Heskey is the living proof that the best team is not about the 11 eleven best players. IMO is the most underrated player in the English competition.
Should've scored though. Through one on one and blast it straight at Howard.

True, Englands main weakness is the keeper. England in attack has only Rooney as a world class striker but Heskey and Crouch do not come even close to him.
So why tries Capello to play with two strikers? Then he is forced to put a weaker second attacker in his team. That way he weakens the team. Rooney was everywhere apart from the place where he belongs to be: On the striker-position.
That makes his performance weak as well.

Why doesn't England play with only one striker ( Rooney ) and Gerrard close behind him?

Tbh I think England will look far better against the stonger sides.
In yesterday's match (and the ones coming up) they are expected to make the play, which with their shocking ball retention isn't their game. Sitting back and letting the wingers, Rooney and Gerrard/Lampard counter they should be a lot stronger.

In theory anyway, the CM of Gerrard and Lampard will be ripped apart as neither can defend well.

I don't think he'll play 4-4-2 when Barry is fit.

I can see Milner getting the chop, Barry coming in, Gerrard behind Rooney and Cole on the left and Lennon on the right.

I think he'll stick with Green so as not to destroy him.

Has anyone else noticed Ashley Cole's refusal to cross the ball?

Cole probably received order not to go forward too often. Must have been frustrating for him.

If Barry is unfit, I'd like to see Carrick in so that Rooney can play upfront alone with Gerrard right behind him. Those two have been working well together. And with a defensive midfielder in, maybe Ashley Cole will be allowed to go forward a little bit more.

Also, Joe Cole and Lennon on the wings please! SWP was just as bad as Walcott and Milner probably didn't recover enough from that virus.

It had to be SWP rather than Joe Cole on for Milner as the whole reason he was taken off was because he couldn't deal with Cherundolo's pace. Cole wouldn't have fared any better than Milner as defensively he's not great although he would have given us more going forward and probably would've finished that chance SWP hit at Howard.

That's his first howler he made in an England shirt that lead to a goal. The guessing game as to who Capello might choose as his number one doesn't help either.

It wasn't great but it wasn't that bad.

If Lampard finishes that cut back from Lennon, SWP scores that one-on-one or that long ranger from Rooney creeps in we're looking at a different score. It's not like we didn't create chances, the US defended quite well and we missed the chances we did make.
in the same respect, we hit the post, altidore missed a header etc... it was a close game, the score could have gone either way

It had to be SWP rather than Joe Cole on for Milner as the whole reason he was taken off was because he couldn't deal with Cherundolo's pace. Cole wouldn't have fared any better than Milner as defensively he's not great although he would have given us more going forward and probably would've finished that chance SWP hit at Howard.

milner must be the slowest player in the tourney, cherdolo is not exactly known for his blazing runs down the line...

At least he came out and spoke to the media. I like Green and want him to do well.

US hit the post, Heskey and WP fluffed some one-on-ones... maybe a fair result, but the English in me says we shaded it.

Carrick needs to be in the team in order to get the best out of Lennon. It's a shame The Hudd isn't there to send his patented homing signals out him on the wing. They need to get him in more iso situations.

He was decent last night but he also fell back in the 'Chimbonda' shell at times. He took the easy option too often.

All the players in general were bad in possession, they couldn't wait to off load after they received. In comparison the USA were comfortable in possession.

Carrick needs to be knowhere near this team......

He is the best passer in the squad but I know what you mean.

If Barry is fit, he should change to Gerrard supporting Rooney with Cole roaming from the left. There be more emphasise on using the wings.

Carrick needs to be in the team in order to get the best out of Lennon. It's a shame The Hudd isn't there to send his patented homing signals out him on the wing. They need to get him in more iso situations.

He was decent last night but he also fell back in the 'Chimbonda' shell at times. He took the easy option too often.

All the players in general were bad in possession, they couldn't wait to off load after they received. In comparison the USA were comfortable in possession.

Yeah it's an absolute tragedy, these guys were banking on him being there. The England team's hiring them out for catering and without Huddlestone half the food will go to waste!

I think Hart has the mentality to play in the World Cup (not sure about know with Green's howler). He seems a very confident lad which isn't always true about English players and could have probably taken to the pressure.

The reason Capello plays Rooney behind Heskey is to create, last night showed that even with Rooney not being the furthest forward he found it difficult to receive the ball, if he was played even further he wouldn't touch it all game.

I think Green has got better distribution generally than the other two despite at times looking suspect at kicking before. Capello recognizes that and Heskey won a lot of headers from Green's kicks. The mistake isn't part of the plan but there's always your first.

Many people saw Argentina as a slow team. But england played twice as slow, and no one seems to notice. Only Rooney seemed to genuinely want the victory, the rest were just walking and not realising the clock was advancing: slow passes between Carragher and Terry, Green delaying a goal kick, all of this during the last 10 minutes.

People blame it on Green for his mistake, but I think that's unfair seen as how the rest of the team has been so short of pace and so predictable in their approach.

Anyone got the same impression?

Last edited:
Everyone makes mistakes.

Green is still a top keeper and will repay for the faith shown in him.

The guessing game as to who Capello might choose as his number one doesn't help either.

3 keepers - Green, Hart & James that, rightly, have gone into this tournament without their manager's confidence to say 'yes, you are number 1'.
All with a nervous sense of pressure that they don't want to mess up, no clear indication of faith that they are the man for the job.

This Green howler could be the best thing that's happened in this respect.

If Capello brings in James, all the pressure will then start on him, renew all the tension that Green has already dealt with. Back to square 1.

Green has done his gaffe within 40 minutes of the tournament starting - done, out the way, nerves are settled, monkey off his shoulder.

After his error, him making that great save & keeping us in it, then being kept in for the rest of the games, will give him more confidence than any event leading up to the tournament.

If his mentality is thus, he will finally feel like England's number 1 in the next game - which, hopefully, will be good for everyone. :))

I feel terrible for Greeno and feel personally responsible!!:CRY::D

People saying we weren't that bad need to open their eyes and actually watch the game. We were trully awful.

None of our players are comfortable on the ball, and when off it they don't move. The astounding amount of hoofball played from the back purely because none of our midfielders showed for the ball proves we're simply in trouble. It was horrible to watch Terry wack it up constantly and yet because Heskey was far bigger than the US defenders, it's seen as a good thing because he kept winning headers.

The US midfield looked far, far better than ours and if they had someone other than the useless Altidore up front we'dve been made to look very silly. We had more of the ball and more chances in the second half and I think that was basically down to them getting knackered. First half we couldn't get the ball off them.

I know it's knee-jerk to say look at Germany tonight to see the difference, but they were so good because they do all the basic things so well. Pass and move, creating triangles by moving into space, keeping runs going and simply being able to keep the ball are all strengths they showed today and it trully shows how awful we are technically.

That said, we'll probably score a few against Algeria and Slovenia by virtue of being bigger than them at set pieces and suddenly we'll be painted as world beaters again.

The less said about Green the better but at least he got a decent save in to build his confidence again. I'dve played Hart purely on the basis he's simply the best keeper we have and sod the lack of experience but I don't want to see Green dropped now, it'll simply destroy him.

Back
Top Bottom