World Cup 2010 - The Italy Thread - Prandelli!!!

Re: World Cup 2010 - The Italy Thread - Forza Azzurri!

Dropping Grosso is a mistake for me. He doesn't deserve to start but he's very handy when you need a goal. Going forward, you'll need someone like him who offers intelligent movement off the ball, like his last goal when he 'ghosted' in behind two CBs to secure a win for Juve. Or his goal when Pirlo lifted a pass over the defensive line. He's the best attacking left-back in the world. Very surprising decision. Candreva should go along for the experience. He's a bit of a flair player who can add another dynamic to the midfield.

I also was surprised about Grosso absence. I believe Lippi saw him out of form in these training days

A fit Grosso playing with Pirlo is certainly a big threat, but as we've seen he isn't so fit... Candreva's exclusion surprised me, though :\

oh and dominic, I think you're forgetting Cossu :)

Candreva exclusion was almost announced in my opinion. Actually in Lippi's mind he's not able to steal the place to players like Pirlo, Marchisio, De Rossi, Gattuso (...) and Palombo. Maybe there were a duel Montolivo-Candreva and Candreva was dropped; don't worry, also Montolivo will be dropped, it's only a matter of time.

I read in some websites that Camoranesi is risking his place. I believe without him we can say goodbye to 4-3-3 and change to 4-3-1-2 with Pirlo as attacking midfielder (and Cossu as reserve), otherwise Pepe will play as winger in 4-3-3.....

Ahead of Pazzini and Gilardino? I don't think so.

This season, I think Borriello has been more impressive than Gilardino, Pazzini is definitely a goal scoring machine though.

Borriello offers that extra physical strength. Plus, he has the ability to score some screamers from tight areas and is a very decent dribbler. But the positioning of the other two inside the box is better.

A question for my Italian colleagues.

It does regard Andrea Ranocchia of Bari. Would this giant capable defender have made the squad alongside Bonucci had he not been injured ?

It does regard Andrea Ranocchia of Bari. Would this giant capable defender have made the squad alongside Bonucci had he not been injured ?

From what I heard, he had a sure spot for South Africa before the injury and Bonucci or Legrottaglie are probably his replacement.

From what I heard, he had a sure spot for South Africa before the injury and Bonucci or Legrottaglie are probably his replacement.

Thank you for the reply Hey there. :))

A pity. I really liked the way they defended together. He's still a youngster relatively speaking so there's always next time.

Surely. Because Ranocchia is a better CB than Bocchetti, so he would be called.

Based on our choices, I think we'd play this squad:

------------------Buffon----------------
---------------------------------------
Cassani-----Chiellini---Cannavaro----Zambrotta
---------------------------------------
-------------De Rossi--Marchisio----------
-------------------Pirlo-----------------
----Camoranesi------------------Di Natale??
----------------Pazzo/Jack**--------------

Lippi has been playing around with 4-2-3-1 lately a lot, so I'm not surprised if we use it with 2 high wingbacks. I'd try sticking Maggio, Rossi or Quagliarella where Camoranesi plays too.

** Jack Sparrow is Borriello's nick name by Pellegatti, a legendary Milan commentator.

I don't think Mauro should be in 1st team anymore.

As for Chiellini, he would be the left CB where you put Canna, no?

And now he is being pushed forwards. Lippi is testing Marchisio in a more advanced role, mainly because of his good off the ball movement (according to Lippi's words). This is somewhat in the line of how Marchisio developed this season, as the season progressed Marchisio dared to be more adventurous and grew into a more offensive role.

Italy first 11 is starting to look like this;

Buffon
Maggio Cannavaro Chiellini Zambrotta
Pirlo De Rossi
Camoranesi Marchisio Di Natale
Gilardino

And now he is being pushed forwards. Lippi is testing Marchisio in a more advanced role, mainly because of his good off the ball movement (according to Lippi's words). This is somewhat in the line of how Marchisio developed this season, as the season progressed Marchisio dared to be more adventurous and grew into a more offensive role.
He was a support striker in his earlier days. Very similar player to Del Piero in fact. Too bad he's a juve player because I rate him highly. Not sure what to make of Quaglia's inclusion, Cossu is far more versatile in forward areas. This is going to be hard to watch.

Bocchetti and Quags should have been the ones to stay behind not Rossi and Borriello. Lippi's arrogance better pay off dammit.

By stay behind I meant cut from the team.:P Boriello and Rossi should have been included in the final 23.

Yeah that's a shame.

I would've had either of Boriello or Rossi ahead of Quagliarella and Iaquinta too but well Vincenzo like we spoke about earlier, offers something different than all other Italian forwards so I can understand his inclusion.

Giuseppe and Marco will be disappointed though and are more deserving of a place than Fabio. Having said that, Quag man is one spectacular player, I wouldn't have selected him but I wouldn't be surprised if he hits a beauty or two for Italy coming off the bench once World cup is on the way. ;)

Cassani cut! Disappointed and of course Cossu thought he may have just earned a place as well... but nah...

He was a support striker in his earlier days. Very similar player to Del Piero in fact. Too bad he's a juve player because I rate him highly. Not sure what to make of Quaglia's inclusion, Cossu is far more versatile in forward areas. This is going to be hard to watch.

He was a support striker when he was about 13 years old :P. He modeled himself on Del Piero, he wasn't like Del Piero.

Back
Top Bottom