Assassins Creed

Looking at the review the game seems a bit repetitive, them stealthy kills all the time and most of the sword fighting looked the same. The way your practically invisible when using stealth is a joke and so is where the enemies queue up to be killed

The game looks great but it seems like the basics are wrong

Well having seen the gametrailers review and having read the 1up review im not going to be getting this game, atleast not at full price. Out of the 3 elements the game is about it fails on two. graphically its beautiful, however the combat is flawed and that is half the game. Also the "exploration" is repetitious having to do the same each time. With one of them mentioning that the cities arent that diffferent either in the way you play in them.

Shame really, as it looks like its a very good base, but according to the 1up review there is gonna be a sequal anyway. Hopefully that will forfill its promise.

Enemies don't queue up to fight you one by one, they encircle you and you can be attacking one in front of you and one to the side or rear may attack you so you need to watch out for it and block their attack or counter-attack......

I will get this as asian version will be £25. doesnt seem to be as good as I thought it would be though.

In no way does it deserve the blatant over-hype it got, but saying that it's still a damn good game. I've been playing it for a few days now and here are some basic thoughts(trying my hardest not to spoil the game here);

Graphically it's one of the best games I have ever seen, every little thing, even down to the bricks in the walls are near perfect. There are very little loading screens in the Kingdom, and the only times you really encounter them are when you are heading into the big cities, but even then they are not very long at all, and you can even control your character during them to practice some moves. All cut scenes are controllable, you can move your character around and move the camera around and there are prompts for camera angle changes, too, so look out for them.

The free roaming aspect is as good as they say. You can go anywhere at any time as long as you have unlocked that certain area(can't say any more as it will ruin the story). The overall game play is a little slow at first, but give it a few hours and you will come to appreciate it, the game gets a little faster and you are able to develop some form of style to your play, too.(You can opt for the all-out balls to the wall kill every bad guy in sight style, a more stealthed out hide where you can and only harm those you really need to, or take a more neutral approach.)

The fighting isn't as bad as some may make it seem. I find it to be very intuitive, and while the NPC AI isn't all that great they do attempt to surround and ambush you several times. You also have a choice of weaponry to use during the later stages of the game.

The control system is a little bit awkward, but very easy to get used to. However, like all games it has it's annoying moments where it does things on it's own or doesn't do what you really wanted it to, and even on the rare occasion does nothing at all.

Storyline so far is great and I actually look forward to seeing what's going to happen next. The voice over work is a little dry, especially with the main character, but the sound effects of blades and animals and everything else is spot on, and the odd moments that you encounter music is very well done, too.

Now, onto the repetition issue. Believe what you hear ... it gets real old, real quick. The only real differences between missions are the people and environment. It gets tiresome, more so than any other game I have encountered before. The great story and fantastic visuals can almost make up for the repetition as you still want to carry on with it, but they really could have done with some more ideas for missions. Almost everything about this side of the game is predictable after you get passed the first main mission area(trying my hardest not to spoil anything here).

I think I got everything, so anyway the basic point is;

Don't believe the over-hype ... it's no world-beater. On the same note, don't believe the disappointments you hear, it's not all that bad. Judge for yourself, some will like it, others won't. Make up your own minds.

Going to buy it tomorrow. Gametrailers always critizes game and gives great score so I'm sure 100 % it's a great game.
But yes it's a bit ridiculous how fights are. But I don't care, there's so much things to appreciate in this game.

Thanks for the mini-review DVC :)

I might wait for a few weeks to pick this up, let it go on eBay on the HUKD forums and get it cheaper.

a review on IGN, and the ps3 version has apparently really bad framerate in comparison to xbox 360 version

"The cities, as I stated earlier, are truly remarkable pieces of art. These big open worlds, which are fully interactive, do come at a severe cost on PS3. There is considerable texture pop-in and noticeable framerate issues. Playing back-to-back with the 360 version, it's obvious that Ubisoft did not devote enough resources to the PS3 edition. The framerate is considerably worse, so much so that it begins to affect gameplay in the later levels. You can get through the first two-thirds of Assassin with the framerate being just an annoyance, but it becomes more of an issue for the final third of the missions"

a review on IGN, and the ps3 version has apparently really bad framerate in comparison to xbox 360 version

"The cities, as I stated earlier, are truly remarkable pieces of art. These big open worlds, which are fully interactive, do come at a severe cost on PS3. There is considerable texture pop-in and noticeable framerate issues. Playing back-to-back with the 360 version, it's obvious that Ubisoft did not devote enough resources to the PS3 edition. The framerate is considerably worse, so much so that it begins to affect gameplay in the later levels. You can get through the first two-thirds of Assassin with the framerate being just an annoyance, but it becomes more of an issue for the final third of the missions"

"There are few differences between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. PS3 owners are blessed with a slightly more solid frame rate, although the 360 version features a little more contrast in the lighting, so it's pretty much a wash. But regardless of which platform you go with, you'll have an amazing and unforgettable game. Assassin's Creed is the kind of game you tell your friends about, and one that should be in your collection".

From Gamespot...go figure

;)

The main thing about the framerate issues is what type of TV and what settings the reviewers were using when they tested the game. Obviously a high quality HDTV set at 720p(although personally I would recommend 1080i for this game, very little fast motion so you don't get the interlaced wash) should cause you to see little frame jitters, where the opposite 576p SDTV will most likely make the game unplayable.

My suggestion would be to rent it and see if your system setup is capable of running it smoothly before buying.

Damn, the months of looking forward to this, and now I'm wondering if I've just wasted £40. If I end up trading this in for Mass Effect it'll be the quickest trade I've ever done, I think. :|

I can see what people have been saying about 'queued' battles in most of the videos. I hope its not like that in-game, as it makes it look repetitive, like Gametrailers said in their review.

It reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Colossus, not overly sure why, maybe it's the riding around on a horse through beautiful landscapes, if you could enjoy Colossus for what it was without getting bored I think you'll enjoy doublebutt for what it is without getting bored :)

Eurogamer and IGN giving it 7's doesn't bode well. I'm going to pass on paying full price for this and wait to get it for about £20 maybe.

Well it hasn't arrived, I don't know whether it's down to ShopTo or my new biggest enemy the Post Office.

Depends on your postie, some leave it by the door and some leave a card to collect.

I know that much... But before the strikes they ALWAYS arrived on Wednesday. It's just a disappointment.

Completed the game last night after playing since monday.
Pretty good, i'm impressed with it.
If i can be arsed i'll go around the cities again to get the flag finding achievements and kill every templar to get the 1000pts

The ending in the assassin's era is quite predicatable, you can see it coming a way off.

Gameplay is good, your character has an amount of montum feel to him, you can't just bound around or sprint and change directions in a snap.
The free roaming building climbing is really nice.

Graphics are excellent, the city atmosphere and detailing is breathtaking.

To hide you can dive into hay carts and stacks, rooftop gardens, mingle with scholars or sit on a bench and blend in.
Scholar groups also act as a way to get past guards.

When you help a citizen their reward is usually a group of vigilantes (although sometimes its scholars), these guys will grab any guards that come after you in their area so you can either run away or kill them easily.

The throwing knives are quite cool, also when you run out you can pickpocket more from a thug in the city.

Beggars coming upto you in the street whinging about having no money and being hungry are nicely dealt with via a grab and throw if you wish.

The combat it a little too easy imo, even when you're a lower level assassin.
Insanely easy once you get the ability to counter strike, counter grab and dodge.
They don't just "queue" up, they circle you and sometimes 2 or 3 people will attack at one, but that's quite rare.

Finding information on your target can be done by pickpocketing, eavesdropping, interrogation or doing a task for an informant within the city district you're assigned.

Does start to feel repetetive as its the same thing 9 times over.

I'm just starting the 8th one, and yeah I know what you mean. I am like 90% certain what is going to happen for the 9th mission, or at least just after the 9th. Looking forward to seeing how the very ending plays out though, very mysterious.

I have found myself starting to skip past the repetitious side missions just to get to the end. If I am bored one day I'll probably come back and try to 100% the game(I already got some of the Templars on accident, they attack you when you start a fight anywhere near them, very hard to beat, too). It's just too much for me right now though.

I need to find:
3 more assassin flags in Masyaf
20 more Hospitalier flags in Acre
18 more Templar flags in Acre
26 more Teutonic flags in Acre
74 more Saracen flags in Damascus
46 more King Richard flags in the Kingdom
69 more Jerusalem Crosses in Jerusalem

Kill 19 more Templars

to get the full 1000pts.
All down to if i can be arsed tbh.

Easiest way to kill the Templars mate (other than sneaking up and stealth killing them lol) now you're upto that level (8th target) is keep dodging their strong attacks, countering their normal ones and hacking the shit out of them once they're down.
Sometimes if you're lucky they'll go for a grab as their first attack, grab counter, they fall, you do two or three strong attacks.

If they spot you trying to walk upto them, they stand there threatening you for a couple of seconds before they attack, if close enough this is the time to get in one good strong attack and it makes the rest so much easier.
Usually only takes two or three counter attacks before you finish them with a killing counter.

Last edited:
It's just turned up five minutes ago, the posties used to come at 8am if it was a recorded delivery... Bastards.

I'll be giving it a blast in a few hours.

Let us know your thoughts Jack. Just read the Eurogamer review and I'm pretty put off. It just sound sooo repetitive, too much fighting and a bit boring towards the later stages.

That's the kind of persons who find GTA repetitive too ;)

I mean you like it or not ! All the French sites gave it at least 8.5/10.
talking about 15 hours to finish it with the basic missions and 25 hours to complete the secondary missions.

I think to judge this game you must try it before.

Lot of people like GTA but I don't...but I'll don't give it a 7/10 :)

Back
Top Bottom