Battlefield : Bad Company Series

Haha, had to laugh at some of the recent comments. I've had lag on the 360 version, too. But it's certainly rare compared to how much I play. When I unload clips into folk and they don't flinch, or I stab someone with no reward, I simply switch the game off. There's no way I'm going through that bollocks when a day earlier I was having a great game and everything was bliss.

It's worse when the lag is so bad you run but are transported back 10 yards every time. I've fired off a round into a guy who's in freeze frame stutter mode only to have him stab me in the back while I'm still shooting him at another location. Now that's magic.

Still, can't complain lately, it's been tip top. Really enjoying Vietnam again. I wasn't a fan of the weapons as I prefer scopes but I'm used to the iron sights a bit more now.

I should get back into Vietnam really, I enjoyed it when it initially came out. You're right on switching the game off, there's no point when stuff isn't working properly. I think it's to do with the server nationality, I almost never hear anyone using their headsets when you join a squad, but when you do they're always from America. I'm pretty sure a player from the UK is supposed to be in European servers, but there you go, nothing I can do about that.

I haven't had the old 'run 10 yards then rubber band back to where you started' problem for ages, just hit markers generally appearing all over the place and nothing happens. I can't complain too much I suppose, I've gotten a crazy amount of value for £35 - I'm ashamed to say I've literally got hundreds of hours now out of the MP, and it's really only now that I can't get a decent game. Disappointing, but it must be to do with BF3 being fairly imminent.

I've never seen a game though that can be so polarised. If the game lags, or the games are one-sided against you, it feels like the worst game in the world. But when it works, and you have some epic games, even if you end up losing, it's shockingly good fun. No other MP game has ever been that fun for me, when it plays well of course!

Last edited:
I very rarely get lag, when it happens I just quit and join a different match.

Sometimes that fixes it, other times it doesn't and feels like a server thing for that time of the day etc.

Tried the game again for the first time in a few days, it's just as bad. WTF is wrong with the matchmaking in this? It's recently made it unplayable. I tried 5 games tonight before switching it off. First three games I joined a team who lost Rush without taking a single objective, then when it was our turn to defend, the other team ran in and destroyed the first charge within 30 seconds and without losing a ticket. At that point I gave up, you can already see how the games will play out. The other games, I joined both games on a defending team only to find both objectives going off simultaneously, got spawn killed in the back immediately after joining the game in my base for the first time, and when I checked the scores, our 'top' player was on a score of 165 compared to the oppononents, who had 6 players all near 2000 points. Crazy.

Urgh time to try some other games I think, I just played it tonight with some friends and it was utter rubbish. We had one amazing game, followed by lag, lag, lag, disconnecting from out party, messages saying "cannot connect to EA online" sporadically occurring, and cheating. Yep, full on cheating.

I kept repeatedly getting shot by pistols like they were assault rifles, then I noticed that they actually were firing like assault rifles. People are using rapid fire pads for that and the single shot rifles. Brilliant. I've also heard people are using aimbots etc, though not sure how you can do that in the console version but I'm sure it's possible.

Then I noticed in a Conquest match there was a player on our team who was working with a player on their team. He'd basically run into a corner of the map, with his mate on the opposing team hiding in a bush or something, then he'd join a squad, let people spawn on him then his mate would shoot them once they spawn.

If anything could sum up how dysfunctional this game has become, it's that some guy was creeping alongside a wall of a house. I spotted him, and as he turned around, I smacked him from about 20 yards with a grenade launcher. His back was against the wall, the grenade whalloped him, and through the smoke his 'machine gun-like' pistol (which was a single shot pistol, not the rapid fire one you can select) fired an entire clip in a micro second and dropped me. On the killcam, he was still standing by the wall, and was teabagging me. I noticed that the wall, about 3 inches behind him, now had a gigantic hole in it, of which he was stood right in the middle. What complete and utter bollocks.

Last edited:
Are you playing on PS3?

We should play a game some time, I've had some frustrating moments but none on that level.

Mainly 360 but occasionally PS3. Apparently it's impossible to use rapid fire, it's just plain old lag meaning some dude fires 6 or 7 pistol bullets that don't register on my end until they suddenly all hit me at once. I'm not on PS3 much but when I am I'll look you up dude :)

Maybe you should try playing hardcore mode. I haven't had any problems with the game and people I'm playing with/against. Had a great 5 hours on yesterday. My team was communicating all night and playing together.

In all my time playing this I've never tried hardcore mode. I might give it a go. It's not like your team mates in regular mode help out by spotting anyways, I'm not sure half the players in this game even know that you can do it at all. And I don't think I actually use the radar that much anyways!

Nah that's it now, this game has gotten fucking ridiculous. Just 'enjoyed' a nice session on the game with a couple of mates and endured repeatedly hammering people with bullets only to see them run across the screen like nothing was happening, all with hit markers, then I get instantly dropped by one stray bullet. It's shit.

Now, on top of all the other stuff, I no longer seem to get points for laying down ammo or health packs. Nothing. I brought down another chopper, no points again. It's become a joke.

Final straw was some guy repeatedly killing me despite the fact that almost every single time, he turned round and one-shot killed me after I'd crept up behind him and WHILE I was plastering him with bullets into his back. One other guy was crouching near a bin, unaware I was there, I hit him with 100 M60 bullets with magnum ammo, again with hit markers, and he just sat there and eventually ran off. I'm not even sure the game was telling him he was being shot, it's that bad. Oh, and that's before the fact that six times in one match I pressed A to respawn and then died before I fully spawned. Being shot at before the game would actually let me move in any direction isn't really fair.

Last edited:
Stats reset bug appears to be back (I'm on PS3), also the Ranked servers on PC are down.

Haven't yet managed a sly fix via dying repeatedly, changing lobbies etc. And it's typical as more than ever today I've been gagging for a sesh on this tonight.

Oh well, back to keeping tweets about running bugs trending worldwide.

The behavior of some of the people in this has gotten really unsporting, and not to stereotype but they're always level 50 players. Maybe they take their scores too seriously or something.

Once again, one guy (level 50) spent virtually all of an attacking game on Oasis in the attack chopper and was lethal. His mate was using the Alt perk to remove tracer tags (if you could hit him at all he was travelling so fast). By the time the attacking team got to the final round of objectives, he was on some crazily good score, all from racing around in the chopper for the entire match. The moment he got shot down, and his chopper would no longer respawn, the guy just fecked off and left the game.

In the next match, one level 50 guy was on the opposition team, then when we were about to win, I noticed he disappeared then re-appeared on our team. He then spent 3 or 4 matches swapping teams at the last minute to register that he'd been on the winning team. Really odd!

This was the best online game I've ever played but recently it's degenerated into a steaming pile of shite. Utter shite.

Four times today I tried to join a game on a particular map, except the join game button was greyed out and half of each team had a crazy looking score, the other half of the team minus points. Oh, and the overview of the game map you see at the beginning while choosing your class was 'exploding' constantly all at once, across the entire land mass. It's totally fucked.

Add to that, the amazing ability for people to sprint up stairs with me waiting, looking through my gun sights fully aware they're about to run up them, and sitting at an unusual angle sot they wouldn't know immediately where I was - yet they manage to fire a shot gun round almost before they appear, and it overrides everything it seems. Oh, and try using the same shotgun and loadout yourself, it doesn't seem to work. I shot someone in the back from 10 feet away twice and two hit markers, yet the same guy with the exact same kit had just previously shotgunned me from literally the entire map away, like a sniper shot. Hmm. Also, still with shotguns, some of them are crazily slow but devastating, it takes a good few seconds to get off more than one shot. Not so when someone uses the same gun on me. Nothing at all, then they seemingly (thanks to lag) fire off 3-4 shots like a machine gun. That's fair then.

Oh yeah add to that my friends still have massive connection problems just getting online with EA at all, and you have a really defunct pile of shit now. I've even timed the lag. It's approximately 3 seconds now. I can count it when someone shoots at me and I run or duck behind a safe surface, only to fall to the ground three seconds after I've hidden. Great.

Oh and what's with the sudden appearance of assholes trying to knife UAV pilots in the initial base safety zones? Three times in a row I went on a UAV in White Pass, three straight times I almost immediately got stabbed by someone who then dropped dead having committed suicide from running into an out of bounds area. All so that they can get a free dogtag. Brilliant.

Last edited:
Oh and what's with the sudden appearance of assholes trying to knife UAV pilots in the initial base safety zones? Three times in a row I went on a UAV in White Pass, three straight times I almost immediately got stabbed by someone who then dropped dead having committed suicide from running into an out of bounds area. All so that they can get a free dogtag. Brilliant.

That's been happening for a long while now. It's annoying as fuck.

As much as I really love BF:BC2, the game suffers badly from balancing issues. I think that bases should be out of bounds to the other team thus creating a safe have to stop spawn killing and sneaky fuckers stabbing UAV pilots. Games of conquest can quickly deteriorate into a one-sided turkey shoot when one team gets pinned down in their own base, with the other team getting behind them and spawn killing. I know this alone caused my mate to stop playing the game completely. There needs to be a way for a pinned down team to break out when they are trapped in their own base. Perhaps offering a parachute drop in at a random point would help keep the game alive in this situation.

Helicopters are another example of poor balancing. Those guys that circle strafe and rape the whole map are almost impossible to take down, especially when they zero in on the AA gun as soon as someone hops on it. Air defences need to be better, with either more AA gun emplacements or more powerful AA weapons.

I tend to play Vietnam mostly now as I enjoy that a lot more. The helicopters are vulnerable and easy to take down, and I prefer the more inaccurate and less advanced weapons. It's just more fun.

I've even cancelled my BF3 pre-order because it dawned on me that I'm not really interested in it. It's looking worryingly like a COD clone.

It can be the best multiplayer game in the world and the worst in one fell swoop :SHOCK: .

My gripe has always been poor Recon players, now i know there's good ones as my mate does his best, and you do get those who spot and use motion mines. I can almost guarantee though, every game we get spawn trapped in is one where you see three "smurf" triangles sat on a tree as far away from the action as you can get.

I love it when my mate teams with me as a Recon because he makes a beeline for the far points in Conquest and both softens up the enemy as they attack you, and provides a nifty spawn point so you're stealing bases from the others, but then when he's not on i invariably get squadded up with someone who insists on protecting a rock somewhere behind your own spawn point.

-

Now reading BF3 and all it's perks, i hope even the dead-weight on teams contributes something via these Squad Perks, so even though iPwNSniperX is playing hide and seek with his own team mates, at least the marksman perk benefits the rest of us.

To be honest, even after me having a moan, i'm going to love BF3, a lot of my friends are COD converts and there's a few close friends as well as drinking buddies who will team up regularly now as opposed to going the pub, so thankfully there's a team of people to squad with and have some banter with at the same time...which helps the appeal no end.

Yeah the spawn areas need to be more safely cordoned off. It happens in some, like the first base in Oasis if you're an attacker, no-one can get anywhere near your base. Oddly though, in levels like Isla Inocentes, the attacker's base is cordoned off from people coming in, but when the game progresses, the attackers still have to use the same base but the enemy are then free to run down right into the base, which is odd. Despite that, snipers love getting you on the UAV on Isla, but I only use the UAV really in those first base situations. The rest of them later in the games are guaranteed that you'll get some joker sitting in a bush waiting for you to jump on the UAV.

I think the problem with recons, and people in general on this game, is spotting. I hope, assuming you can still do it in BF3, that the game will make people more aware of it. Sometimes you win games by dominating a team because everyone approaching you gets lit up on the map. Everyone on your team then has good warning as to where attacks will come from. On the other hand, other games seem to show no-one being tagged at all and they constantly sneak in, set charges, and then defend their positions because no-one defending knows where the attackers are.

As for the spawn killing thing on Conquest, it's really why I never play it. Almost every time I've tried to get into it, particularly on that level set in dusk (the one that's only available in Conquest and Squad Rush, forget it's name) , it does seem to consist of one team getting on top of the other, driving tanks into a the tiny spawn area that has only one exit, and then pounding people as they spawn. People leave the games really quickly after that, and then it becomes a case of 8 v 2 or something with those two players braving on despite having no way of escaping the spawn point. Silly really.

Last edited:
I keep thinking with the spawn killing that if it becomes obvious it's happening, the team trapped in their base should be able to have a second spawn point away from the base or at least be able to spawn at the furthest flag away to see if they can take it.

I only play Conquest nowadays and it gets bloody annoying if it happens. Actually the thing that annoys me the most is when it's obvious people aren't spawning anymore and the dickheads that are in the base insist of shooting at nothing and blowing everything up with the tanks.

I think the problem with recons, and people in general on this game, is spotting.

Most people haven't got a fucking clue how to play recon properly. At all. People just play purely as a sniper to get the best k/d ratio. Spotting can be the most useful thing you do for the team and can earn more points than sniping.

It's amazing how few people know how to spot, and that it can be done with any weapon by aiming and pressing select/back. I know because I've had to tell my mates how to do it. I blame the game as I don't think it's made clear enough, and nobody reads game manuals these days unfortunately.

I prefer to get mobile as recon class, using the shotguns or the VSS, and get where the action is. Then I continually throw motion mines at groups of enemies or flashpoints. I try to do my best to help the team by doing so, but most people don't think to do this.

I've even cancelled my BF3 pre-order because it dawned on me that I'm not really interested in it. It's looking worryingly like a COD clone.

If BF3 is like original BF series it will be nothing like COD.

In fact bfbc is more similar to COD than any other BF game in the series.

Most people haven't got a fucking clue how to play recon properly. At all. People just play purely as a sniper to get the best k/d ratio. Spotting can be the most useful thing you do for the team and can earn more points than sniping.

It's amazing how few people know how to spot, and that it can be done with any weapon by aiming and pressing select/back. I know because I've had to tell my mates how to do it. I blame the game as I don't think it's made clear enough, and nobody reads game manuals these days unfortunately.

I prefer to get mobile as recon class, using the shotguns or the VSS, and get where the action is. Then I continually throw motion mines at groups of enemies or flashpoints. I try to do my best to help the team by doing so, but most people don't think to do this.

Yeah most people definitely don't do this, which is why playing in a group of mates is so much better than dipping into games on my own. That said, I mostly play in a group with two other friends, and though we try to help each other out (we act as bullet shields when our mates are defusing objectives for example) it's still tough when that's just three players out of twelve. Last night I played a game against a team that were really awesome, they were clearly spotting, the UAV was doing it's job, and they saw us coming at every turn. Add to that, a couple of dudes were using near constant smoke grenades near objectives and it caused chaos. That team hammered mine, despite the fact that we had a level 50 player with a massive score but only interested in running into their base. When they attacked our objectives he was nowhere to be seen.

If you enjoyed BC2 then I'd still pre-order BF3 if I were you, but it does look a little alarmingly more like COD or Medal of Honor. Videos are so misleading though, and I'd be inclined to agree that BF games are likely to be more realistic than the Bad Company side games.

Last edited:
It's not so much a case of realism for me. Bad Company 2 feels realistic enough for a console shooter. At least it simulates bullet drop and has destructible environments. I'm not so sure BF3 will push the series much further forward in terms of realism, because they are going after the COD market, and COD is a fairly basic, arcadey shooter.

Also, good point about the smoke grenades. I hardly ever see them used. Smoke grenades have huge tactical value, but because they don't win points for the player they are not considered worth using by most people. My personal favourite is to equip the V-Smoke perk and then fire salvos of smoke from high above using the UAV. The objective can be completely clouded in smoke with a good aim.

Haha that's a great idea, I've never tried that! Smoke causes absolute chaos, but you're right most people don't use it because there's nothing to be personally gained from using them, aside of course from helping your team, but I sense that's not a lot of people's motivation. Generally, I tend to use the smoke when playing with friends, we can co-ordinate exactly what to do once the area starts to get a little cloudy..... :)

Re: Re: Battlefield : Bad Company Series

Nice jet ski skills, Proxi. :FAIL:
Haha. It would have looked good if I'd pulled it off. Done it before on Rush on Arica Harbor. Launched the buggy over the hill and parachuted down into the town! :D

For other thread readers - I captained a boat on Oasis, flung us out of the playing area, recovered badly, Hawaii 5-0 it was not.

Back
Top Bottom