eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I'm done with PES for now, try as I might just can't see past all the blatant disregard Konami show towards authenticity in the games.

Been dealing with it for a while but final straw is playing in SPFL and a couple teams got the konami mega stadium when the teams barely average crowds of 3000-4000 and then most of the other teams play in a stadium called village road with ad boards from who knows where but were supposed to overlook it because two of the stadiums are the real deal.

As for chemistry another thing I'm sick of, its there for what reason? I've just had enough and can't be bothered making excuses for the poor overall product that PES will always ship out.

I really wanted a kind of fully editable D2 that could be assigned to a league without a d2. Playing a ML without relegation/promotion doesnt appeal to me. And as for the cup , 12 teams isnt enough for a decent cup competition, you need 16 at least. Kind of why i dont play SPL . Id love to play it .
It surely wouldnt have been hard to create a couple of smaller stadiums of l0,000 less capacity for the smaller teams would it. Theres lots of smaller teams in the Belgian,Danish , Swiss leagues etc.

I really wanted a kind of fully editable D2 that could be assigned to a league without a d2. Playing a ML without relegation/promotion doesnt appeal to me
Thats my biggest issue, when it comes to Pes for years now. Id love to play SPL, Eredivisie, portugese league, even custom made Bundesliga. But I simply cant stick to their ML for more than one season.
In every Pes im ending up with standard 4 leagues with D2's to choose for my ML. Its a major pain in the hoop. When Adam spoke about bringing italian and spanish D2's (in a very modest and humble way) he also said - "and there is something else that we are working on in terms of D2's but its too early to say".
Now I think that he meant brazilian D2 (which is a nice addition), but at the time I was proper hyped, as I thought they will introduce fake D2 that will be available to add to any league, exactly like you said.
Id love to see that.
It would open so many new doors for me..

I mean, I even get joy out of shots that I don't score. :P
yeah on advanced shooting it was nice to see lalanna balloon one high and wide with his left foot off balance and mane 6 yard out back to goal and skews it wide.. Poor shooting decisions by Me but I'd prefer missing

Had a friend over today and we played 2020. What great fun!!! :)

My Rangers won 4:0 versus ManUnited. Next match; 4:1 win for my Iceland versus Netherlands. :D
20 min matches, fuma for both.

Today it showed. He’s a fifa player for years but he plays PES when he’s over at my place. Same settings, manual, but different attitude. He got so much fifa in his thumbs, that it’s hard for him to adapt to PES sometimes.
Anyway, today he did great. Took his time using RS, positioned the player well for crosses, passed with much more thought; hammered some shots “on target” into the upper ranks... but he played football!! And I loved that.
Sure, i have to teach him a lot and need to be firm (?!, like repeating stuff all the time), but I see progress in his gaming behavior.

I wish I had more mates over to play local on a more regular base. Let’s see if I ain’t starting a WhatsApp group to get my friends interested... in a league, cup... whatever. Most important we meet and play some PES. :D

Edit: btw, my buddy scored his first goal in PES2020 today, after 5 matches. It was a deflected ball but still... I’m pretty proud at him! That old fifa dog don’t know it any better! :D

Last edited:
Had a friend over today and we played 2020. What great fun!!! :)

My Rangers won 4:0 versus ManUnited. Next match; 4:1 win for my Iceland versus Netherlands. :D
20 min matches, fuma for both.

Today it showed. He’s a fifa player for years but he plays PES when he’s over at my place. Same settings, manual, but different attitude. He got so much fifa in his thumbs, that it’s hard for him to adapt to PES sometimes.
Anyway, today he did great. Took his time using RS, positioned the player well for crosses, passed with much more thought; hammered some shots “on target” into the upper ranks... but he played football!! And I loved that.
Sure, i have to teach him a lot and need to be firm (?!, like repeating stuff all the time), but I see progress in his gaming behavior.

I wish I had more mates over to play local on a more regular base. Let’s see if I ain’t starting a WhatsApp group to get my friends interested... in a league, cup... whatever. Most important we meet and play some PES. :D

Edit: btw, my buddy scored his first goal in PES2020 today, after 5 matches. It was a deflected ball but still... I’m pretty proud at him! That old fifa dog don’t know it any better! :D

Yea thats what i loved so much about the demo. Played against a friend for a few hours who only plays FIFA occasionally (and PES with me a few times a year) and it took just a few matches for him to adapt to this version because he could apply things he knew from watching football. Especially the defending i thought would frustrate him to bits but on the contrary, it really clicked for him. Ofcourse i gave him a lot of pointers but the game did the most explaining by itself. I didnt put him on FUMA tough to handicap myself a bit, I see that you felt less morally concerned about that :P:LOL:.

But yeah its too bad its such a niche thing. My friends, unlike me, did grow up or are avid PC gamers. I do get together 2 times a year with some of the people i work with to play 4v4 FIFA. Always try to steer them back to PES but its a slow progress. Next time i will bring my pro with to give them a taste of the sweet stuf, hoping that will change their minds.

Thank god for evo-web, its the only place where people really understand my quirky passion for this video game.

Yea thats what i loved so much about the demo. Played against a friend for a few hours who only plays FIFA occasionally (and PES with me a few times a year) and it took just a few matches for him to adapt to this version because he could apply things he knew from watching football. Especially the defending i thought would frustrate him to bits but on the contrary, it really clicked for him. Ofcourse i gave him a lot of pointers but the game did the most explaining by itself. I didnt put him on FUMA tough to handicap myself a bit, I see that you felt less morally concerned about that :P:LOL:.

But yeah its too bad its such a niche thing. My friends, unlike me, did grow up or are avid PC gamers. I do get together 2 times a year with some of the people i work with to play 4v4 FIFA. Always try to steer them back to PES but its a slow progress. Next time i will bring my pro with to give them a taste of the sweet stuf, hoping that will change their minds.

Thank god for evo-web, its the only place where people really understand my quirky passion for this video game.
:D right, who plays at my place has to go full manual. No pity and shit. My place, my rules. :D
AND, this „forces“ my friends to get the best out of the game. ;)
Wish they would use more of their football knowledge to actually put it on the pitch!! Years of action soccer crippled them somehow... ;)
He can ping pong pass well when he plays the other game at home. :PP

Again: what great matches we had. Delightful. :)

Last edited:
I really wanted a kind of fully editable D2 that could be assigned to a league without a d2. Playing a ML without relegation/promotion doesnt appeal to me. And as for the cup , 12 teams isnt enough for a decent cup competition, you need 16 at least. Kind of why i dont play SPL . Id love to play it .
It surely wouldnt have been hard to create a couple of smaller stadiums of l0,000 less capacity for the smaller teams would it. Theres lots of smaller teams in the Belgian,Danish , Swiss leagues etc.
Agree about the lack of smaller stadiums. No excuse really for not including some even if only generic ones. As for Division 2 editing to increase promotion and relegation, my way round it is league mode, not Master league. Edited the fake league into a D3 Italian league and play it that way. At end of season just swap the promoted and relegated teams around. Really enjoyable with less scripting and bypassing all the frustrations and craziness of a Master League session.

Really enjoyable with less scripting and bypassing all the frustrations and craziness of a Master League session
Yeah but you have to do everything manually, no transfers, no building team, no aging. This is not a viable option for most people.

I usually analyze the behavior of the cpu while I play in my M.L., so I constantly change my custom tactics to improve them.
In this case I noticed that I went to the shot too easily (by the way the low shot from outside is great in this version..)
I didn't like the picture at all...
Quick check post match and did the fix:
slightly backward position of the two CCs, changing the role of one of them in DM, moving it further down...
Slightly raised the defensive line of Charlton
Charlton's tactic is now ok.

I'm playing with 1.0 - Top Player - and I'll move on to the next patch only if it manages to balance the gameplay towards 1.0, otherwise I'll continue to use vanilla version.

Last edited:
Yeah but you have to do everything manually, no transfers, no building team, no aging. This is not a viable option for most people.

True. It is time consuming but there are positives. Once the fake league is edited it won't be affected by any Konami updates. Transfers in live updates will still affect the top two leagues so squads will be ok there. I can change my players at any time during a season and transfer in and out at ends. No TS to worry about so better matches. I can choose one team and feel an immersion with them as they try desperately to claw themselves out of the lower division and through as many seasons as I like. After all its fantasy, just as Master League is fantasy but without the bs involved. I still get injuries, bad form arrows and highs and lows. To me, its all I need to get a kick out of the game. I've found a team in the Italian D3 with a ground not unlike the Sportsfield in PES so I'm happy to try with them. In real life their ground only holds 5500. If they get promoted eventually to Serie A maybe I'll move them to a bigger stadium. Who knows.

I'm convinced after the latest patch there is more fouls given, which i really likes. At least that's my experience in ML.
My experience is quite the opposite.
There are fouls, but only every 11th is for me, rest is for AI.
In fact - last night all my matches were exceptionally bad. Must have hit some "Master League Chapter" where im supposed to be struggling or something.
There was everything that I hate about current version multiplied by in-your-face factor. Turn-and-shoot galore, WWE AI, whereas my every sneeze was a foul for AI, players werent running, switching, reacting, nothing. Couldnt block, couldnt position anybody, all the balls were going right back to AI, after each tackle my players were forgetting to take the ball with them.
What really pisses me off is the way they nerfed tackling. Our tap X, double tap X and sliding tackles are nowhere near as effective and visible as they were on 1.0. Basically, most of the time, your only option is to hold X. But hold X leads to AI free kick quite often.
Could have beed just one of those days, I dont know. We'll see what tonights session brings.
On a positive note - apparently despite all the losses - fans and the boss think im doing great.. whoop-de-fucking-doo..

In an effort to find a formation and tactics I like I've been playing random friendlies with similarly-ranked teams. To me the gameplay feels totally different but - unlike many here - not for the better compared to ML. Seems more unresponsive, and commands sometimes appear to be ignored completely.

Again I feel as if Konami may have released a million different versions of the game as a social experiment to watch us all get at each others' throats.

I saw someone mention the inaccuracy of Scottish Premiership stadiums.

I reiterate:

St Mirren's default home ground is Konami Stadium:

konami-stadium.jpg

IRL:

StMirren2.jpg

What bugs me is that they don't even have a generic closed-square, one-tier, roofed-over few-thousand-seater stadium, which would work perfectly well as a home stadium for loads of teams in Eredivisie, Bundesliga, Europa League, Championship, Swiss league, Turkish league... It's the single most common stadium type for small to medium sized teams around Europe, and there isn't one in PES. And yet we have about eight different generic variations on the 60,000-seater megabowl. Including several which look practically identical to licensed stadia already in the game.

Worst of all, they had one like this in PES 6. I think it was called Online Stadium or something, intended for online games. But it worked very well as a generic, same as they have those good generic versions of the small open-bowl type stadium, with and without running track. Why take out a Konami-made stadium?? Obviously the licensed ones drop out as they lose the license, but useful generic stadia vanishing into the Konami Triangle... makes no sense to me. Oh but hey, have the Hoofswotsit stadium instead. Looks exactly like Schalke's ground, which is in the game already... but it's twice the size. Very useful for all those Danish league and Scottish Premiership teams.

All the stadiums tannoys suck arse.

Scored a superb goal : "Ohhhhhhh. On 54mins. Number 27." then silence.

Substitution : "Substitution. Number 16. Number 14." then some random mumbling like "This job is shite. Can't wait to go home."

(Playing Spurs Brighton. Couldn't win with standard Spurs team so brought in Higuain, Modric and Pique and now I'm 3-0 up. Result!]

The stadium announcer has a strong Japanese accent too. Which is fine if you're playing the J-League (except that he speaks in English) but a bit weird otherwise.

Still, at least all the chanting crowds don't have Japanese accents this time, which they did in PES 2014 or something, when they just recorded 10 Konami employees chanting in a small room then multi-tracked it (and proudly uploaded a video clip to their website to show us how they'd weaved the magic). The current non-stop wash of white noise sounds better than that.

Quick question: is there any stat implementation on manual shooting? I find it easier to score rockets with someone like levandowski, just wondering if someone like Harry Maguire was in the same position would the shot be the same or his shot be nerfed due to inferior ability on the shot? For me atm it’s the only shooting mechanism that has decent variety

Konami are amateurs, so what do we all expect from them?

The gameplay isn’t too bad this time round, but the overall game is stuck in the year 2000 and is designed as though it’s still the old PS1/PS2 hardware everyone’s still playing on.

The fact is therefore, that the dev team at Konami are still stuck in the same era/hardware mindset.

Even when they move to a new engine and next gen console like PS5, I suspect the game will still be clunky, show a lack of content and have very poor interfaces. Nothing will change much, except the gameplay a bit.

Sigh!

Quick question: is there any stat implementation on manual shooting? I find it easier to score rockets with someone like levandowski, just wondering if someone like Harry Maguire was in the same position would the shot be the same or his shot be nerfed due to inferior ability on the shot? For me atm it’s the only shooting mechanism that has decent variety
I was only talking to Chris about it the other day.
This is a horrible topic to discuss and Id rather if we didnt trigger any arguments here further down the road.

I did play a lot with average teams. By average I mean Parma, Mallorca, Monaco, Rayo, Fiorentina. This is the usual level of teams that I pick.
But now Im playing ML with custom made irish fantasy club, where my top player has OVR 67. And I havent scored a single long range goal. My passes are dreadful, my shots are diabolical. The only thing that doesnt seems to suffer are crosses.
I really do believe that stats matter on manual and I can feel it in every single game that I play.
And before anyone starts - its merely my personal opinion and I have big FAT zero evidence to provide. :LOL:

I was only talking to Chris about it the other day.
This is a horrible topic to discuss and Id rather if we didnt trigger any arguments here further down the road.

I did play a lot with average teams. By average I mean Parma, Mallorca, Monaco, Rayo, Fiorentina. This is the usual level of teams that I pick.
But now Im playing ML with custom made irish fantasy club, where my top player has OVR 67. And I havent scored a single long range goal. My passes are dreadful, my shots are diabolical. The only thing that doesnt seems to suffer are crosses.
I really do believe that stats matter on manual and I can feel it in every single game that I play.
And before anyone starts - its merely my personal opinion and I have big FAT zero evidence to provide. :LOL:

I think you are right bro.
I think it’s more difficult to score with players with lower shooting stats even on manual, which is how it should be;
I tried shooting from 30 yards with Ronaldo then Chellini and the difference was notable on manual;
These are my initial results so gonna need to test further;

It depends what u like..
better freedom and randomness with horrible squads more fouls -vanilla
More challenging better ai .. mid and def stays connected .. latest squads .. less fouls- 1.3

I wish 1.4 to be just between these two versions... sum them up divide to two
better freedom and randomness with outdated squads and more fouls, more physicality and fair challenges, more weight to players, better pace and momentum, more animations... - vanilla

more challenging/active ai... mid and def stays connected... latest squads... less fouls, unfair challenges, t&s more pronounced, AI more varied, MC compatible... - 1.3

I put in some opinion of mine...! ;)

1.4 should make it all good. At least I hope so. Fingers crossed!! :)

Been playing some online unranked quick matches on FUMA (against any pass support) and it was actually better than I expected - much of that could be due to there being far fewer idiots using 6-0-4 formations etc like in Divisions. Showing any visible W/L ratios and overall records/rankings seems to bring out the absolute worst in people in online games. Would much prefer there to only be a simple ELO rating without the W/D/L, goals scored/conceded etc in ranked modes.

This was the highlight of today :D

Been playing some online unranked quick matches on FUMA (against any pass support) and it was actually better than I expected - much of that could be due to there being far fewer idiots using 6-0-4 formations etc like in Divisions. Showing any visible W/L ratios and overall records/rankings seems to bring out the absolute worst in people in online games. Would much prefer there to only be a simple ELO rating without the W/D/L, goals scored/conceded etc in ranked modes.

This was the highlight of today :D

respect and thumbs up for that quick full manual counter attack!! :APPLAUD:

Back
Top Bottom