eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

My experience is quite the opposite.
There are fouls, but only every 11th is for me, rest is for AI.
In fact - last night all my matches were exceptionally bad. Must have hit some "Master League Chapter" where im supposed to be struggling or something.
There was everything that I hate about current version multiplied by in-your-face factor. Turn-and-shoot galore, WWE AI, whereas my every sneeze was a foul for AI, players werent running, switching, reacting, nothing. Couldnt block, couldnt position anybody, all the balls were going right back to AI, after each tackle my players were forgetting to take the ball with them.
What really pisses me off is the way they nerfed tackling. Our tap X, double tap X and sliding tackles are nowhere near as effective and visible as they were on 1.0. Basically, most of the time, your only option is to hold X. But hold X leads to AI free kick quite often.
Could have beed just one of those days, I dont know. We'll see what tonights session brings.
On a positive note - apparently despite all the losses - fans and the boss think im doing great.. whoop-de-fucking-doo..

Lol on the „Master League Chapter“. So true.

All issues with the game have been there for years, Konami know about them and choose not to address anything.

fouls are still not there, injuries penalties and fatigue aren’t effecting our master league teams like it should.

AI is so poor and plays the same way, catch up bug and scripting is so obvious that you don’t even enjoy it when you win.

Teams sit too deep and leave you the midfield open and rarely dribble you when in possession, Gks glued to their lines pathetically and shots are identical laser guided arrows.

Playing offline is such a shallow uninspiring experience that is so boring and tedious, It has no redeeming features and hasn’t progressed at all.

Now add to that the untouched off the pitch stuff like commentary,licenses,ambience,master league,be a legend and all other abandoned modes and you will realise how we’re being fooled.

Again they will try to mislead us about a patch then revert back to this sad excuse of a football game, Not even 100 facebook pages or surveys can restore little of this game’s legacy, it’s over guys.

Been playing some online unranked quick matches on FUMA (against any pass support) and it was actually better than I expected - much of that could be due to there being far fewer idiots using 6-0-4 formations etc like in Divisions. Showing any visible W/L ratios and overall records/rankings seems to bring out the absolute worst in people in online games. Would much prefer there to only be a simple ELO rating without the W/D/L, goals scored/conceded etc in ranked modes.

This was the highlight of today :D

What is the noise 8 seconds in lol

All issues with the game have been there for years, Konami know about them and choose not to address anything.

fouls are still not there, injuries penalties and fatigue aren’t effecting our master league teams like it should.

AI is so poor and plays the same way, catch up bug and scripting is so obvious that you don’t even enjoy it when you win.

Teams sit too deep and leave you the midfield open and rarely dribble you when in possession, Gks glued to their lines pathetically and shots are identical laser guided arrows.

Playing offline is such a shallow uninspiring experience that is so boring and tedious, It has no redeeming features and hasn’t progressed at all.

Now add to that the untouched off the pitch stuff like commentary,licenses,ambience,master league,be a legend and all other abandoned modes and you will realise how we’re being fooled.

Again they will try to mislead us about a patch then revert back to this sad excuse of a football game, Not even 100 facebook pages or surveys can restore little of this game’s legacy, it’s over guys.
Over for you...only just beginning again for some.

Playing master league last night (Brazil serie b) a couple of observations on the annoying things.

Player reactions are still bad, despite seemingly better (Since last patch) in online games.

I have trouble getting through on goal, my CF is heavily marked and when threading a through ball through my running players pause or stop slightly at the point they would make that break. As a result, the AI defender easily gets in front and my runner hits the back of him and can't past.

The most infuriating issue is that whenever I do get a man through their defence, their defender easily catches up to me and either tackles me/stops me shooting/slows down my shot. Now in these cases, I'm sprinting but they outrun me every time. On the reverse, when their CF is through on goal, my defender cannot get near them despite sprinting. Why is this?

Outside of chance creation, I'm loving the whole build up and fun of the game.

Oh, one final thing. In all the finesse dribbling displays Konami show on their press releases and also you tube tutorials, there is so much space around the player. Defenders are not near them. In a game, AI or online, that space is not there. They're on you like a homing missile

Last edited:
@Dozuk try sprinting away with double pressing R1. If your player is faster they won’t catch you.
I like the difference to just holding R1, it gives me opportunities.

I like to change speeds a lot and it seems to work best. Walk, sprint, double sprint, walk again, come to full stop, do some stepover or sidesteps, sprint again...
It can and should all be combined. I try to think real life football here.

I’m finding nice stuff every day I play. I’m not done with this game yet. :D

Edit: totally forgot one, for me, super important thing. Try using the LS but not all the time full movement. Try to wiggle I bit without hitting the case of the ds4 with the stick. It’s hard to describe for me.
This “micro-movement” of the stick triggers some lovely animations. It’s not that you have to use R2 (in combination with LS) or RS to look fancy. ;) LS and sprinting alone, with various speeds and stops in between, plus using LS just slightly gives a lot of nice trick and movement animation of the player AND it gives you more chance of beating the opponent. Again: think real life football here.
And take your time. Walk the pitch, look out for mates, sprint a little and play a pass, calm the game down again and do some RS sidesteps... it can flow so nice.
Please, don’t rush it. TAKE YOUR TIME. it’s key! Like irl! ;)

I bet, and that’s not meant in a bad way, a lot of users a) don’t know about all the controls available and b) get stuck in their gaming pattern (muscle memory)! So some will never see and/or unleash the full potential of this game.
And hey, I’m no different!! And im not a better gamer than any other user. I still find new controls mechanics and learn how to use them and in what situation. And yes, i have to work hard to let go of my muscle memory too... but every time I do: it’s football heaven! Really. I am a very happy football gamer these days. :LOVE:

Have a good start of the week y’all!! :BYE:

Last edited:
I have trouble getting through on goal, my CF is heavily marked and when threading a through ball through my running players pause or stop slightly at the point they would make that break. As a result, the AI defender easily gets in front and my runner hits the back of him and can't past.

It's really good to see someone else mention this, thought I was losing my mind. It's so annoying.

Brilliant post and well summed up.

Unfortunately there are still enough people that buy the game and this is why it will never change. I’ve bought it again this year, like a fool. So sales figures are probably good.

The thing with PES is that it’s got it’s hardcore, dedicated fanbase. People that buy the game regardless of it’s state. I didn’t buy it between PES 2008 and PES 2012 because quite frankly, those games were terrible.

PES 2020 is better than those titles. But I’ve finally realised that I’ve grown out of PES full stop. It’s so laughably shallow still that it’s why I get so bored, so quickly.

It’s a shame the other game is in such a state as well because this year will see me without a single player football game again.

yeah me and my cousin record results of all our games all season long. so on pes 19 we are currently even!!!!! so we need one last best of 7 or 9 session to end pes 19 before we move on to pes 20

a champion will be crowned this weekend!
well i am sure you all spent your weekends wondering who won the pes cup 2019 lol

well after 10 games on saturday i emerged victorious 7-3 and lifted the trophy(a legit ingraved 7 quid trophy from amazon lol)

championnnnnn! and with that put pes 19 away and will let my lil nephew have it.

time for pes 20. may order today

All these issues mentioned in the last few pages, AI, responsiveness, players ignoring the ball etc etc etc have all been there from game 1 of Fox Engine. They are still there, every year, sometimes masked well other times glaringly obvious. No patch is ever going to sort all this stuff, only one thing might bring about change... a move to a new engine.

It's why I don't understand the group of people who seem to fear moving away from Fox, you're just dooming yourself to a perpetual cycle of the same underlying issues year after after year that are now clearly unfixable... probably soon to be proved again by the upcoming patch. Time to move on and a fresh start imo.

All these issues mentioned in the last few pages, AI, responsiveness, players ignoring the ball etc etc etc have all been there from game 1 of Fox Engine. They are still there, every year, sometimes masked well other times glaringly obvious. No patch is ever going to sort all this stuff, only one thing might bring about change... a move to a new engine.

It's why I don't understand the group of people who seem to fear moving away from Fox, you're just dooming yourself to a perpetual cycle of the same underlying issues year after after year that are now clearly unfixable... probably soon to be proved again by the upcoming patch. Time to move on and a fresh start imo.
Agree. Game needs to leave the Fox Engine and soon.

ok ordered from shopto 32.50

should get my moneys worth over the cours eof year, especially if even though not as good as demo most say better than pes 19?

I was just playing my 2nd Spanish league ML with Las Palmas and I was 2 down. I was able to come back to 2:2 and then I subbed in Drole and he scored the winning 2:3. :) What a match. What an away win. What a comeback. That was so nice as I ain’t “cheating” and auto save every time.
Great match. Great satisfaction.

Question: can it be, that switching between aggressive and conservative defense isn’t effecting TS in a bad way, when I use both for some time?! By the start of the season it had an effect on my TS when I changed that. Now my team can play both versions and the TS stays he same. Has my team adapted to play both styles?!

Question: can it be, that switching between aggressive and conservative defense isn’t effecting TS in a bad way, when I use both for some time?! By the start of the season it had an effect on my TS when I changed that. Now my team can play both versions and the TS stays he same. Has my team adapted to play both styles?!
Yes. I noticed that too.
Same goes to possession/counter attack. If you use both, change them during matches, you will start noticing smaller drops in TS. It might take a bit longer to 'grow' TS this way, but it will give you more flexibility.

Players certainly adapt to your playing style (on those 4 core lines). If I thought I needed to improve a position in my team quickly (like when I desperately needed a better striker to replace Giois after a season in the PL with him as my main backup) I would check that a player already fairly well matched my tactics before signing them as I didn't want too big a TS hit for playing them :)

@Dozuk try sprinting away with double pressing R1. If your player is faster they won’t catch you.
I like the difference to just holding R1, it gives me opportunities.

I like to change speeds a lot and it seems to work best. Walk, sprint, double sprint, walk again, come to full stop, do some stepover or sidesteps, sprint again...
It can and should all be combined. I try to think real life football here.

I’m finding nice stuff every day I play. I’m not done with this game yet. :D

Edit: totally forgot one, for me, super important thing. Try using the LS but not all the time full movement. Try to wiggle I bit without hitting the case of the ds4 with the stick. It’s hard to describe for me.
This “micro-movement” of the stick triggers some lovely animations. It’s not that you have to use R2 (in combination with LS) or RS to look fancy. ;) LS and sprinting alone, with various speeds and stops in between, plus using LS just slightly gives a lot of nice trick and movement animation of the player AND it gives you more chance of beating the opponent. Again: think real life football here.
And take your time. Walk the pitch, look out for mates, sprint a little and play a pass, calm the game down again and do some RS sidesteps... it can flow so nice.
Please, don’t rush it. TAKE YOUR TIME. it’s key! Like irl! ;)

I bet, and that’s not meant in a bad way, a lot of users a) don’t know about all the controls available and b) get stuck in their gaming pattern (muscle memory)! So some will never see and/or unleash the full potential of this game.
And hey, I’m no different!! And im not a better gamer than any other user. I still find new controls mechanics and learn how to use them and in what situation. And yes, i have to work hard to let go of my muscle memory too... but every time I do: it’s football heaven! Really. I am a very happy football gamer these days. :LOVE:

Have a good start of the week y’all!! :BYE:

Thanks, that's a lot of great advice. I didn't know about the subtle left stick moves so generally just push till it stops.

Yes, I play slow as I also like to mimic real football. I play 20 min games and walk more than run, which is great after coming from Fifa where my sprint button was constantly pressed.

Love the game, I just hope these frustrating issues will be fixed in the incoming patch. Some I can ignore, but some really frustrate.

Still, best footy game out there

Yes, no chants on console.
found a possible workaround/ not ideal. but put chants on usb pen and play them on ps4 in background

be less specific but hopefully improve atmosphere. think you can have in game music on at same time

can you still turn down volume of crowd in pes?

found a possible workaround/ not ideal. but put chants on usb pen and play them on ps4 in background

be less specific but hopefully improve atmosphere. think you can have in game music on at same time

Or your can use Spotify on PS4. That’s the way I do it.
Adding songs to my PS4 playlist in the Spotify app and then I’m able to select it on PS4!

Yes, but most importantly - you can turn pitch sounds up. I have everything at 5 and pitch sounds at 15. Really helps with the atmosphere when you hear every kick of the ball and every scream of the players.

Yeah I do check player styles before I sign a new player as wel
Thats one thing I dont do. I know that if you find "playmaker" or something - it will boost you TS straight away by 20 or something.
I find it stupid and unrealistic. How can new player come in to new team and everyone out of nowhere understands each other better?
There are things I can swallow in Pes (even regens) but this is one of the things I find cheaty enough not to use it.
Currently my TS is at astonishing value of 41 and I dont mind. Team is crap. They deserve it. :LOL:

Yes, but most importantly - you can turn pitch sounds up. I have everything at 5 and pitch sounds at 15. Really helps with the atmosphere when you hear every kick of the ball and every scream of the players.

Thats one thing I dont do. I know that if you find "playmaker" or something - it will boost you TS straight away by 20 or something.
I find it stupid and unrealistic. How can new player come in to new team and everyone out of nowhere understands each other better?
There are things I can swallow in Pes (even regens) but this is one of the things I find cheaty enough not to use it.
Currently my TS is at astonishing value of 41 and I dont mind. Team is crap. They deserve it. :LOL:
I don’t mean that. I mean checking if they prefer counter attack or possession game, short pass or long balls and such things.
The one thing you described I don’t like either. Same view on things like you!
I checked on those “TS booster” in advanced search but never bought one.

My second Spanish team couldn’t effort one of those star players anyway. :)
Im trying to get my team a little bit younger. Currently changing the whole squad. :D it’s fun!!

can you add chants to your spotify though?
You can. Just search for “chants” in the Spotify app, put it in a playlist. Link your Spotify account to PS4 and you’re good to go.
I added some South American chants while I was playing Flamengo in a cup. It adds so much.

I tweaked my audio setup as well. Did that before adding chants. Here is my setup:
d877624d-d6ff-4248-91ikpx.jpeg

Last edited:
Pes 2020 has a tremendous potential to be a a++ game.. there are some moments that i feel i watch a real match.. but deliberately or not they are not rectifying minor issues .. maybe they dont want to make the prrfect game for further versions still to come...

Pes 2020 has a tremendous potential to be a a++ game.. there are some moments that i feel i watch a real match.. but deliberately or not they are not rectifying minor issues .. maybe they dont want to make the prrfect game for further versions still to come...
GTA V and TLOU were/are examples of Triple AAA games. Brilliantly produced games with loads of content and they're still played by many to this very day. I'm not saying everyone liked these games, because they didn't. But they're examples of a Triple AAA.

Comparing PES 2020 to one of these classics is ridiculous and it's the sort of thing Adam Bhatti/Konami/Official PES thrive on reading because it means they can keep on churning out the same turgid titles year after year.

This series will never, ever reach the heights that most of us want to see whilst we still get people praising the latest installment with stuff like "potential to be a Triple AAA game". I'm sure you mean well and I'm happy you're enjoying the game (I'm envious in fact) but a 'Triple AAA' has quality, content, depth - it's the package.

PES 2020 is a million miles away from being that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom