eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

I didn't played the game the past few weeks, so I was caught by surprise after the latest updates when jumping online (only play online seasons).

For me the changes are horrible. The game feels slow, stiff, unresponsible and sluggish. Shooting feels as if your shooting with a wooden leg. My Defenders react to slow, I received a over the top through ball goal (first time this year!) because Immobile managed to outrun my complete defense after they fall asleep. Players move as if they are walking in water/cement. They turn around like a 60 year old. Feels like the worst PES in years now.

This demise started already after they messed up the briljant demo; after that it went downhill with every update. Are they playing their own game? Been playing since Snes, this is unbelievable.

Rant over after rage quit online; uninstalling the game. Even Fifa sounds interesting now for 35 Euro digitally.

P.S. Have a Nice Christmass everyone!

Last edited:
merry christmas everybody. ho ho ho.

5 year old timmy : granny - there's a rock in my christmas stocking
granny : timmy. that's not a rock. its a black ball. you'll get one every day from 25/12/19 - 1/1/20
5 year old timmy : wow! i love you granny!
[timmy hugs granny in front of the fireplace then a PES replay logo appears and we can see it again in slo-mo.]

2 years later .... servers shut off .... Timmy is now 7 years old.
He spent the last 2 years nurturing his BBs - now they are unusable online.

Later, Timmy fell into a life of crime and is now behind bars.

Imo, every update released made the game better. Not one update that brought bad stuff to the game. If so, I’d like to know!
But that’s just my opinion on fuma offline gameplay. :)

i have a question - if you started a ML e.g. when v1.1 was around, and you have then updated to current version - is your ML going to play with 1.2 code of current code?

same question for BAL.

Fixed cursor/BAL is unplayable because of your team-mate's defensive passiveness, refusal to tackle and as you say, when you tell them to press, they run around the attacker and are quite obviously programmed to not win the ball back.

And because the cpu AI refuse to shoot unless they're within about 6 yards of the goal, it leads to these prolonged passages of play where the cpu is passing and dribbling around your box but refusing to shoot, with your team-mates doing this pointless jockey and clearly not going to try win the ball back .... and it can last for minutes at a time. It's like a stale-mate where nothing is going to happen until you move in and make the tackle yourself...every time.

And it doesn't help that every cpu player can shield the ball like they have a 2 feet thick steel barrier around them. But your guys are shoved off the ball at the slightest touch.

The team-mate attacking AI has improved a reasonable amount since the game was first released but the defensive side is now game-breaking. It wasn't as bad as this in earlier patches. Badly needs fixed.

I've honestly been thinking it's by design; almost as if they want the human player to decide matches. Which is all well and good in standard matches and should certainly be the case in multiplayer.

The AI shouldn't decide human v human matches. A passive AI limits this.

But when you're playing BAL or fixed cursor where you have to rely on the AI it's just leads to a lot of frustration. As we've both said, the AI doesn't seem to wanna tackle and it's jockeying with attackers is massively ineffective.

And speaking of jockeying, I did notice that opposition AI player can seemingly hold off my teammates endlessly at times which is ridiculous.

You tell your teammates to press and they take a weird angle instead of closing down the player with the ball directly. Maybe this was done to limit the the effectiveness of pressing.

Honestly I'm worried of the game being too easy on a lower difficulty but I'm gonna give a few matches a try and see how it goes.

I do think the game is good overall but the AI is lacking.

I dropped the difficulty from top player to professional and I can't tell if it made my teammate AI worse. Easily the most frustrating night I've had playing 2020 so far.

I'll keep playing to see how things are when team spirit gets into the 90s. But I don't feel like that's going to solve my issues with the AI especially defensively.

I dropped the difficulty from top player to professional and I can't tell if it made my teammate AI worse. Easily the most frustrating night I've had playing 2020 so far.

I'll keep playing to see how things are when team spirit gets into the 90s. But I don't feel like that's going to solve my issues with the AI especially defensively.
Cool. I’d like to know more about that and what differences you noticed while dropping from TP to Prof.! Let us know please. :)

Cool. I’d like to know more about that and what differences you noticed while dropping from TP to Prof.! Let us know please. :)

Honestly I don't think I can say with any kind of accuracy because I wasn't looking at gameplay overall just specifically how my teammate AI defended.

Plus given that team spirit is fluctuating based on my lineup, it's hard for me to really objectively look for differences as I'm not really working with a constant right now.

What I did see was my teammate AI continue to struggle and play incredibly passive defensively.

Maybe my teammates will defend better on higher difficulties. Who knows.

Once team spirit is in a good place overall, I'll pay more attention to the differences in difficulty.

Or maybe I'll say screw it and play on regular lol

I was on the verge of stopping playing but then my team spirit broke the 90 barrier and my team started to play some lovely football. Defence was still a bit dodgy but the game became a lot more enjoyable.

(this is my ML fixed-cursor btw)

Last edited:
About a month ago I played Winning Eleven 2020 at my friend's PS4. That game has the Demo gameplay base and is a refined version of PES 2020. I was gladly impressed by the physics and pace of the game; very happy to return to the original series (the last Japanese Winning Eleven I played had been WE9).

I've fallen out of love with PES 2020 now.
I just don't like how players are positioned on the pitch. I see the same issues I've been seeing for the past 4 years. Too much space between the lines. Too easy to get to 3/4 of the pitch or to the other team's box. And I also think there are some problems with player movements, sometimes feeling stiff. I do like the feeling of weight in them but sometimes they just move like they are in the sand.
I still think this is the best PES since PES 5 or 6 though. But there are some game-breaking issues that could only be fixed with more animations or with a total re-work of player movements. Not with a few tweaks in the next official update.

I was on the verge of stopping playing but then my team spirit broke the 90 barrier and my team started to play some lovely football. Defence was still a bit dodgy but the game became a lot more enjoyable.

(this is my ML fixed-cursor btw)

That's good to know. I'll keep up with it until I get there for the whole team.

Currently my team spirit is 88 but only when Pogba is captain. When Pogba isn't playing, it's in the 50s. It's a struggle.

I just don't like how players are positioned on the pitch. I see the same issues I've been seeing for the past 4 years. Too much space between the lines. Too easy to get to 3/4 of the pitch or to the other team's box. And I also think there are some problems with player movements, sometimes feeling stiff. I do like the feeling of weight in them but sometimes they just move like they are in the sand.
I still think this is the best PES since PES 5 or 6 though. But there are some game-breaking issues that could only be fixed with more animations or with a total re-work of player movements. Not with a few tweaks in the next official update.

Exactly. AI positional awareness has arguably been this game's biggest weakness the last few years. A CB shouldn't be able to pass to a CF, completely bypassing the midfield, anywhere near as often and as effectively as it happens in PES. And for whatever reason, no matter how deep the opposition gets, your backline will continue to retreat until they're pretty much standing in the goal.

The sense of weight is great I agree, but some of the animations just look clunky and play out way too slowly (I've watched Pogba get closed down at the top of the box because it looked like he was getting ready to take a free kick instead of just shooting it normally).

Which is frustrating considering the AIs ability to catch up to attackers regardless is attributes and stamina. Sometimes I'm sprinting, despite being 90+ speed and accel, and I feel like I'm running in place. Or I'm getting out paced by a much slower defender.

The jockey animations are also clunky, activate too early, and don't give the player enough power to disengage imo.

I think it could be a great fun experience overall, but player movement and AI behavior are holding it back. Especially in my fixed cursor gameplay where I rely so much on the AI.

About a month ago I played Winning Eleven 2020 at my friend's PS4. That game has the Demo gameplay base and is a refined version of PES 2020. I was gladly impressed by the physics and pace of the game; very happy to return to the original series (the last Japanese Winning Eleven I played had been WE9).
Good morning!

Are you telling me WE disc version is making a difference again?! Last WE I played was on PS2...
Did you play the, for the time, updated version?

Honestly there hasn't been a single Pes i have played all year long. I just can't. I have always taken monthly breaks after intensely playing around release period. After release month i play it just few times a week, when i feel like it. Even if the game would be the best game ever after i have played something like hundreds or thousands hours i would become bored with it. It's always been like this for me, even with Ps2 Pes games.

I assume one would need a Japanese PS4 for this? Or not? I'm not clued up here.

Is WE 2020 gettable on PC?

I just don't like how players are positioned on the pitch. I see the same issues I've been seeing for the past 4 years. Too much space between the lines. Too easy to get to 3/4 of the pitch or to the other team's box.

This is the problem I have with it. They've done so much that is right with this version. It's really excellent. But this spreading out of the lines just breaks it for me.

It's good game, but.. Scripting and collision system kills that game. I only play offline mode and ML. There that scripting is absolut robbish. I play Pro level and Spurs. Couple of nights ago i play against Everton, game end 0-0. I have 30 shots and 20 those are goal attempt. They goalkeeper overall was 68, Everton have 2 shots hole game :D
Same night i play againts Bournemouth. That game i lose 3-0. They play better than Barca or Madrid. Absolut perfect football. They press high all the time and run faster than my man and have invisible shield they players. There's nothing i can do that game.
AI tackles still too perfect and attackers shot too often goal, they just take crossing on chest, turn and shot goal..

Derby games againts Arsenal are, how i say it... big joke.. :D I know my skills aren't good.. :) I have only won FA Cup all the time what i have play Pes 2020. Those scripted games cost usually my league champ. chance.

These are my opinion Pes 2020 :D

Good morning!

Are you telling me WE disc version is making a difference again?! Last WE I played was on PS2...
Did you play the, for the time, updated version?

Yes, I played the game with the latest patch applied. It's seems as it never stopped making the difference: as of late I have been playing WE 2014 on Xbox and to me it's perhaps the best football game ever created. Haven played WE 2015 through 2019, but I am assuming they're also more polished versions of their respective PES releases.

Still enjoying this but there’s a major issue with collision system and refs. Every time there’s a 50/50 the AI get a free kick. I’ve literally had players kicked and thrown to the floor and get nothing. Yet the moment one of my players brushes one of the AIs it’s a foul.
I wish I filmed it but I had my player dribble by one defender into the box who clipped him, then was hacked at then fouled from behind so pen right? Nope. Free kick to AI obviously. Utter madness.
I’ve had players go up for headers and then aI gets free kick.
Really needs to be sorted as it’s stopping this game from being very enjoyable. I can only play 2 games at a time as I can’t deal with constant aI cheating with these crazy decisions.

@loco so another question about WE 2020 - I have PES 2020 digital so if I get WE 2020 disc does anyone know if that'll mean I need to delete my PES 2020 digital or will it overwrite PES 2020 or will it appear as a separate game (allowing me choice to play WE 2020 and PES 2020)??

also what is the text language in we 2020 - is it english or mostly japanese?

and finally - any comment from you or your friend regarding ML (and script) in WE 2020? Is ML a satisfying experience?

thanks

are you talking about console version or PC + all the game-enhancements the modding community can throw at this game?

[i know its the console thread but i think i assumed you were a PC player with enhanced mods ]

Im sorry, but I need to jump in for a second..
Do you not think its getting a bit much?

Lets go through a journey of an average Pes Fan..

So, in order to enjoy the game, apart from installing full option file, Im gonna spend few days on editing all the tactics. Shit.. still not exactly what I was looking for..
I know! I'll get a disc copy and go back to version 1.0 and edit all the teams manually. I wont have any updated transfers, but game will feel fantastic..
Damn.. AI still a bit off.. how about if I go back to current version and bring my team spirit to over 90? That means I'll need to edit all the tactics again.. but there's hope it will be great then. I just need to spend half of the season throwing my controller around the house in anger, but it will be worth it..
Fuck! Still feels off!
Maybe I will build a PC and try all the mods?
Or maybe...... I will order third copy of the game? I already have digital, disc copy (so I can go back to version 1.0), but now I need to get japanese version, coz legend goes this one is perfect...
What next? Ritual in the middle of the forest during full moon?
When enough is enough?

Obviously - I am not here to judge anyone and yall can do whatever makes you happy, but I think I'd appreciate if, every now and again, some friendly stranger tapped me on the shoulder and said - "Yo, its getting ridiculous.. let it go, man.."
:LOL:

Im sorry, but I need to jump in for a second..
Do you not think its getting a bit much?

Lets go through a journey of an average Pes Fan..

So, in order to enjoy the game, apart from installing full option file, Im gonna spend few days on editing all the tactics. Shit.. still not exactly what I was looking for..
I know! I'll get a disc copy and go back to version 1.0 and edit all the teams manually. I wont have any updated transfers, but game will feel fantastic..
Damn.. AI still a bit off.. how about if I go back to current version and bring my team spirit to over 90? That means I'll need to edit all the tactics again.. but there's hope it will be great then. I just need to spend half of the season throwing my controller around the house in anger, but it will be worth it..
Fuck! Still feels off!
Maybe I will build a PC and try all the mods?
Or maybe...... I will order third copy of the game? I already have digital, disc copy (so I can go back to version 1.0), but now I need to get japanese version, coz legend goes this one is perfect...
What next? Ritual in the middle of the forest during full moon?
When enough is enough?

Obviously - I am not here to judge anyone and yall can do whatever makes you happy, but I think I'd appreciate if, every now and again, some friendly stranger tapped me on the shoulder and said - "Yo, its getting ridiculous.. let it go, man.."
:LOL:

Very very true but it feels like we're so close to getting the game I'd like to be playing a ML in long term :

Having played only occasional exhibition mode matches, accepting default teams/kits, spending some time adjusting tactics manually, I've still got patience to see what WE 2020 might deliver IF IT DELIVERS based on what other's are saying about this.

The journey to get to this stage has been an expensive one that began with a gaming PC purchase in 2013 just for PES then moved to a PS4 purchase for PES 2016 plus multi-format purchases over the years.

If WE 2020 is the final move necessary - the holy grail of PES that I've been searching all these years for - I'm all up for that.

But its important for me to know the answers to the questions I asked above to work out whether any further "investment" in PES is going to be worth it or whether I just accept PES 2020 for the fun exhibition mode it provides.

.....and all when I read the enthusiastic Chuny is disappointed by PES 2020 and loco comes in saying WE 2020 is a better experience. Its hard to resist making enquiries.

Very very true but it feels like we're so close to getting the game I'd like to be playing a ML in long term :

Having played only occasional exhibition mode matches, accepting default teams/kits, spending some time adjusting tactics manually, I've still got patience to see what WE 2020 might deliver IF IT DELIVERS based on what other's are saying about this.

The journey to get to this stage has been an expensive one that began with a gaming PC purchase in 2013 just for PES then moved to a PS4 purchase for PES 2016 plus multi-format purchases over the years.

If WE 2020 is the final move necessary - the holy grail of PES that I've been searching all these years for - I'm all up for that.

But its important for me to know the answers to the questions I asked above to work out whether any further "investment" in PES is going to be worth it or whether I just accept PES 2020 for the fun exhibition mode it provides.
Im really glad you took it this way, as I was a bit weary of how you'll respond to my post.
Thing is - I get it.
I was on the same boat, you've seen it - jumping between versions, adjusting tactics, changing teams, editing stats, leagues and whatnot. Eventually I gave up.
I dont believe there is, or will be, this perfect version of Pes20 that so many are looking for. I think we have to either accept it the way it is, or let it go.
But the closer it is to brilliant football game - the harder it gets to accept the flaws.
I just know that Im glad I left it, as I was spending more time on a search for perfect gameplay than on actual game itself.

Back
Top Bottom