eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

here's a vid of another penalty from this morning. I'm getting used to letting go of controls and let shielding kick in then sudden shift of direction using super cancel. which is what I did here. Shielding the defender behind me to point the ball stops and then quick shift passed the next defender who takss me out. This game had 6 fouls, 1 penalty and about 3 advantages

here's a vid of another penalty from this morning. I'm getting used to letting go of controls and let shielding kick in then sudden shift of direction using super cancel. which is what I did here. Shielding the defender behind me to point the ball stops and then quick shift passed the next defender who takss me out. This game had 6 fouls, 1 penalty and about 3 advantages
Overall i find it plays best when „letting go“ or like I use to say „let it flow“. :D
Not switching team mates like crazy, to always control the man next to the ball, keeping position and holding the formation in shape, no constant gegenpress, plus some (wisely used) team mate pressure... is starting „the flow“!
Shielding, as you said, using mates and opponents momentum and weight, fuma and the will to play football first and then go for a win is part of the next step!
....aaahhh, it can shine so bright. :D

Please let it become a habit clicking the touchpad once you entered the replay mode, mate! ;)
But hey, for weeks I’m trying to get Spoony disabling that celebration menu! :LOL:
I have special needs - not the norm. :D

Edit: Imo, what helps as well: the fine tuning of AI, collisions and ball speed done the last weeks!

Edit2: played my Las Palmas ML last night after having a relaxed Christmas time. 2 matches. 1 win, 1 loss. What fun I had. :)

Last edited:
Is swear I have seen 3 wrong offside calls after the last update, where a player not interfering with play is called offside. Maybe it was there before but at least I wasn't noticing it as much.

I don't think we should find ways to make penalties happen, they should naturally happen because of AI being aggressive, because of AI making a mistake or because of referees giving penalties the few times AI decided to be a bit more aggressive.
bit of a strange statement as penalties don't just happen in a real game of football they are usually due to an attacker out smarting a defender.its very rare you see a defender foul someine these days in the area purposely they normally try and win the ball but get it wrong. I wasn't looking for a penalty I was looking to cut inside and then shoot or cross the penalty was a result of me out smarting the defender. My point being there are penalties in the game you just néed to be smart to win them and use the close controls at your disposal. I don't want a penalty for the sake of having a penalty or a needless foul for the sake of having a penalty. My other point is I've had as many pens since last patch compared to all other patches put together

Oh this game... it can be so lovely at times!! Been playing Norwich vs Tottenham tonight and I can’t wait to have another one of this fixture!! It’s just so fun for me to sit deep with patience, waiting for a counter attack opportunity. And Tottenham is so much better, you can smell it.
During the first match, when Kane scored the opening goal with a lovely volley from 7 meter, I noticed again how AI behavior has changed for the good. No more 120mph top corner volleys most of the time. They put em low, ball is touching the ground before crossing the line or mid high, they do curve with the inside of the boot after turning the body accordingly... it’s all so much better and organic now (and varied a little more). The whole thing flows much better! :) Same when the AI using the trick system. I see roulettes now, left to rights, dragbacks...! it’s plain to see. And it could be even better!!
It’s a joy to play the tactical part of the game alone, imo.
And then I watch the real deal on sky, and it looks nearly the same! That patience needed to wear down the Defence. Pukki all alone on a counter waiting for his mates to follow. Fouls not given (like in the PES/EPL). Scratching and biting from Norwich.
20min, prof, fuma, real football in mind... :LOVE:

Edit: and then comes Kane and snatches a pen! ^^
:LOL:

Last edited:
I beat legend on full manual with ease .. i won french league with nice in custom mode.. but lost fun and attraction to the game due to super humanish ai defence tackles and unresponsive dribbling... just making good defence and being clinical in finishing make u win but it is no fun without real dribbling... if handicapping and scripting is active it is nearly impossible to dribble pass an ai defender with skill ... in pes 2021 it has to first thing to be rectified. Pes 2019 balance was good on dribbling

Had the mates over tonight for some football and beers. We played random selection matches.
When I played a mate who was constantly pressuring and slide tackling, I could counter that to some degree.
But at the same time it showed how broken the ref and collision system can be. If you force it, it can look and feel like the hell of football video games. :)
Had good matches when both players had football in mind. Build up, counter, AI pressure...

So yes, it’s partly down to how it is played. Not saying one is playing it wrong though. :D

Edit: heard one of the guys saying: „look how cool the misplaced paces look. I like that.“
I was just grinning and kept on playing. :D

Edit: and every time we play I have to explain to the new guys, or the one not interested in football but sitting by, that for me it’s not about winning alone but how I accomplish that! Call me the Mou of PES, but I really have a look at HOW my team is playing/winning. :)

There is so much beauty in this game hampered by its flaws. So unnecessarily hampered by!! It’s crazy sometimes. Still... it delivers for me, with all the positives it brings to the table!
It’s up to everyone to enjoy what is given!

We want more, I want more... and there will be more in the future (wich looks bright overall). Like I spread out me tactics... be patient and there will be deliverance! ;)

Peace. :LOVE:

Last edited:
@loco so another question about WE 2020 - I have PES 2020 digital so if I get WE 2020 disc does anyone know if that'll mean I need to delete my PES 2020 digital or will it overwrite PES 2020 or will it appear as a separate game (allowing me choice to play WE 2020 and PES 2020)??

also what is the text language in we 2020 - is it english or mostly japanese?

and finally - any comment from you or your friend regarding ML (and script) in WE 2020? Is ML a satisfying experience?

thanks

Hi, mostly Japanese, but everything is in the same place as in PES 2020.

About having both PEs and WE, I don't know. I guess it's possible since technically they are two different games.

I haven't played ML but my friend has, and despite of the mode not being perfect, scripting happens less frequently (it's still present though) and ML is fairly more enjoyable than in PES 2020.

Very very true but it feels like we're so close to getting the game I'd like to be playing a ML in long term :

Having played only occasional exhibition mode matches, accepting default teams/kits, spending some time adjusting tactics manually, I've still got patience to see what WE 2020 might deliver IF IT DELIVERS based on what other's are saying about this.

The journey to get to this stage has been an expensive one that began with a gaming PC purchase in 2013 just for PES then moved to a PS4 purchase for PES 2016 plus multi-format purchases over the years.

If WE 2020 is the final move necessary - the holy grail of PES that I've been searching all these years for - I'm all up for that.

But its important for me to know the answers to the questions I asked above to work out whether any further "investment" in PES is going to be worth it or whether I just accept PES 2020 for the fun exhibition mode it provides.

.....and all when I read the enthusiastic Chuny is disappointed by PES 2020 and loco comes in saying WE 2020 is a better experience. Its hard to resist making enquiries.

My friend deleted PES and stuck with WE on the PS4. It seems that WE has been the slightly or better better game of the two all of these years.

I've been playing WE 2014 on the 360 and it's a brilliant game, to me everything I could ask for out of a Football video game. It's not perfect (you still have to play league or cup mode to get the "real" gameplay), but I'm pretty found of it and have become accustomed to the real inertia and physics it provides (not enjoyable to the average Joe I must reckon). It's become my "PES 2020".

Hi, mostly Japanese, but everything is in the same place as in PES 2020.

About having both PEs and WE, I don't know. I guess it's possible since technically they are two different games.

I haven't played ML but my friend has, and despite of the mode not being perfect, scripting happens less frequently (it's still present though) and ML is fairly more enjoyable than in PES 2020.

Well thanks for the feedback - IHad a think and I don't think I'm keen to drop more money on a less-tha-perfect konami product

If anything, I think for 2021 I will only get WE 2021...I just need to remember this closer the time and not get pulled in by the PES hype. when it comes.

Its kind of surprising though there is not more talk of WE on this forum - if I'd known about WE superiority a year or three ago I;d probs be all over it by now

Well thanks for the feedback - IHad a think and I don't think I'm keen to drop more money on a less-tha-perfect konami product

If anything, I think for 2021 I will only get WE 2021...I just need to remember this closer the time and not get pulled in by the PES hype. when it comes.

Its kind of surprising though there is not more talk of WE on this forum - if I'd known about WE superiority a year or three ago I;d probs be all over it by now

You're welcome!

Yeah, at the end of the day the foundation of both games is the same. For WE2020 what you would be looking at is a polished version of the PES demo gameplay, but the foundational flaws are still there: lack of player individuality, scripting, playing on rails feeling, lack of foot planting, lack of power headers, awkward or incomplete animations, lack of variety in CPU gameplay and the ping-pong feeling (although this year is the least ping-pong paced of the ping pong era).

Winning Eleven never stopped being the better game as I just found out recently. That's why I went for WE2014 on the 360 and it's been pure bliss for me, the gameplay it's actually superior to PES 2020 and perhaps the way 2020 should have been. It's strange the most recen WE discussion found around here is for 9 Liveware Evolution. I guess like me, people assumed it was the same game, so why bother with the Japanese version?

If I get a PS5, my videogame is definitively going to be
eFootball ウイニングイレブン 2021 (provided Konami does a decent job on it)

I think it's probably cause, at the super opposite of the past, the WE version isn't as accessible as it was anymore.

How after all this time player switching issues continue to plague this game is beyond me.

Playing against Sheffield United I work hard to finally break them down in the 58th minute. Only for Fred to run away from the ball a minute later putting Maguire in a 1v2 because Lindelöf was between to the ball. All my effort wasted as it was 1-1 a minute later.

I can deal with poor play, but the problem with player switching are honestly egregious at this point.

And please for the love of all that is good, Konami needs to make team spirit optional in ML. I'm sick and tired of this cheap bs mechanic.

I've fallen out of love with PES 2020 now. [...] I see the same issues I've been seeing for the past 4 years. Too much space between the lines. Too easy to get to 3/4 of the pitch or to the other team's box. And I also think there are some problems with player movements, sometimes feeling stiff. [...]
I still think this is the best PES since PES 5 or 6 though. But there are some game-breaking issues that could only be fixed with more animations or with a total re-work of player movements. Not with a few tweaks in the next official update.
I think it's the best old-school-feel PES that you could hope for.

So now's the time to tear it all up and make something new.

We've got our HD PES 5. Forget tweaking 2020 a little here and there for the next ten years - keeping core problems, improving very few.

Time for a next-gen, "wow" football game. That can't be achieved by carrying on with the same core gameplay (with its same core deficiencies). In my opinion.

The problem is - do they care enough at this point to try and make something new, or are they happy raking in the money they'll get from the guys who just want "classic PES".

I've fallen out of love with PES 2020 now.
I just don't like how players are positioned on the pitch. I see the same issues I've been seeing for the past 4 years. Too much space between the lines. Too easy to get to 3/4 of the pitch or to the other team's box. And I also think there are some problems with player movements, sometimes feeling stiff. I do like the feeling of weight in them but sometimes they just move like they are in the sand.
I still think this is the best PES since PES 5 or 6 though. But there are some game-breaking issues that could only be fixed with more animations or with a total re-work of player movements. Not with a few tweaks in the next official update.

Gameplay can vary so much by changing formations. Unfortunatly you have to do a lot of experimental stuff and not go by football logic. I sacrificed my nominal defenders to get a high line and decrease the length of positioning on the pitch. This forces the AI to get more crowded as well.

Increasing difficulty to legend should also solve all boreness in midfield.

Gameplay can vary so much by changing formations. Unfortunatly you have to do a lot of experimental stuff and not go by football logic. I sacrificed my nominal defenders to get a high line and decrease the length of positioning on the pitch. This forces the AI to get more crowded as well.

Tactically the players do as you say. 1st two games inmy new league as Liverpool and I draw nil nil, could hardly create then I noticed mane and Salah had dropped too far back. So pushed them up closer to firminho and went false 9 and center attack and now I have Salah and mane overlapping into the box. Last two games I won 2 nil mane scoring in both. Still think this game is great

The ai is shockingly bad, i cant even get through one half of play after 3 months. It plays very linear and dumb spamming the same stuff all over again according strictly to the team tactics, its defense lets you run through it. However it has superman goalies, matrix neo defender reflexes to intercept your shots with any teams any defender, and attacks with perfectly calculated math equation where you know from the first pass out of the 30th final pass that it will be a goal and you cant do anything about it because the equation will run its course and ends with a goal. Its terrible and boring, annoying.

Thankfuly during the weekend had some pvp on couch play going on and it was kinda fun...have to have much more games 20+ at least to decide its ok or not but unfortunately time is too rare to get together people to play games.

Derby games againts Arsenal are, how i say it... big joke..

I forgot I quoted this a day or so ago, but I agree completely. Derby matches are one of the worst things in PES. Unfortunately there's no way to eliminate them for everyone.

The problem is - do they care enough at this point to try and make something new, or are they happy raking in the money they'll get from the guys who just want "classic PES".

I think it's more about how viable it is to undergo a massive fundamental change/reconstruction of the game. Because, unless PES goes on hiatus for a few years, it probably isn't considering they, the dev team, have to release something every year, truly significant change just isn't as likely.

If they ever do try to fundamentally make a new PES, it'll take a lot longer for them to get it to us because they still have to put out their marginally improving yearly product at the same time.

However it has superman goalies, matrix neo defender reflexes to intercept your shots with any teams any defender

I record a lot of clips when I'm playing. I noticed in one, during the build up, I was running at a defender and he was backing up. He's backing up towards his left, I cut to his right and I watch his animation just......click into place into the path of the ball. His foot didn't even touch the ground.

and attacks with perfectly calculated math equation where you know from the first pass out of the 30th final pass that it will be a goal and you cant do anything about it because the equation will run its course and ends with a goal. Its terrible and boring, annoying.

I played on top player and watching my teammates get completely dominated by Watford. At home. They'd have made Guardiola's Barça proud with how they moved the ball around. Nothing like seeing Delafeu outmuscle Koulibaly and beat him in the air over and over again.

I would love to try higher difficulties, but my AI teammates are clueless defensively as it is.

I play on top player in the league fuma and beat Watford 2 nil, they played nothing like Barcelona at all in my experience

I played them in a cup match in ML (fixed cursor) on top player (cup matches feel faster for some reason) They pinged it around effortlessly. My AI teammates were completely helpless.

Edit: I decided to unlock legend so I'm gonna give it a try

Last edited:
@loco so another question about WE 2020 - I have PES 2020 digital so if I get WE 2020 disc does anyone know if that'll mean I need to delete my PES 2020 digital or will it overwrite PES 2020 or will it appear as a separate game (allowing me choice to play WE 2020 and PES 2020)??
Since they are different regions games, then they install as separate games and do not share space. I have both USA and UK versions every year as one is for regular OF's and the other for Classics. Come summer each year, I add the WE version when prices dropped from previous release.
So yes, you can play both without having to delete.

Back
Top Bottom