eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

On the Kurt thing, I only watched a couple videos from his youtube, the ones where he criticizes the new fifa, and haven't seen anything remotely out of line. To me, it is ea, as usual, that is a complete disgrace here.
Do Konami deserve the same treatment in your eyes? From your post I'd say no. You've said you're LOVING 2020 right now - and EA are shit.

And yet:

"I made your game relevant. Get on your knees and thank me." (Increasing the Twitch viewers for PES by 5,000, last time I looked.)

The guy is, and is famous for being, a psychotic, threat-making man-child. End of story.

This kurt guy is an asshole, i have no idea why is he so popular. Like seriously ?
I never got this myself.. he's a scumbag, nothing else. I was amazed how all the streamers were so happy to see him on this side of the pitch. Now they will slowly all go into hiding and pretend that nothing happened.
I honestly thought Pes community were wiser than this..

He looks like a psychopath (at least a sociopath) to me.
I did not know this guy a week ago. I do not disagree that he sounds lunatic.
By i do not believe he is the only one. I have reposted in the past, most "PRO" players in most game genres, let's say 90% , back from 2010 that i started watching them streaming and speaking (it was League of Legends) until today , all have the same MEGA-issues: arrogance, flaming, unfair attitude, bullying the unskilled "noob" players, mocking those who ask simple questions cause they are starters.
At general they do everything that is opposite from politeness and even political correctness. And it is impressive, cause most of them have multimillionaire sponsors and managers behind them, who even if they dont believe in FAIRPLAY they at least demand from professional athletes in real life to respect every opponent when speaking public , even fake respect for the shake of political correctness.
IE although we all know the untamed character of Ibrahimivic or Balloteli, but even if they play against Stirling Albion, they will comment something "cliche" like "we respect every opponent etc,etc". Not because they believe it, but because that's political correct and keeps some balances.
Something that i have never seen on E-Sports. Especially in their personal streams, most pros even if they play shite, they just flame in other people with expressions like "nub" "git gut" l2p" "die noob" etc etc.
Or maybe there are polite e-sports pros, but they are very rare and i have not spotted them.
To sum up what i want to say is, i usuall dont take serious what these type of people are saying, or even better i just don't give a damn, about pro-influencer-esports dudes opinions. They seem to me worse than a 7 years old spoilled child ,the way they behave.

P.S.: I think @Madmac79 who used back in the days to play LoL too, can confirm.

Ha. Apparently, the guy played FUT professionally for years, that will do a number on your mental state. No exaggeration. It's a wonder these guys don't end up committed. Anyway, soon the dust will settle and he will go back to ea. They seem to be made for each other.

I did not know this guy a week ago. I do not disagree that he sounds lunatic.
By i do not believe he is the only one. I have reposted in the past, most "PRO" players in most game genres, let's say 90% , back from 2010 that i started watching them streaming and speaking (it was League of Legends) until today , all have the same MEGA-issues: arrogance, flaming, unfair attitude, bullying the unskilled "noob" players, mocking those who ask simple questions cause they are starters.
At general they do everything that is opposite from politeness and even political correctness. And it is impressive, cause most of them have multimillionaire sponsors and managers behind them, who even if they dont believe in FAIRPLAY they at least demand from professional athletes in real life to respect every opponent when speaking public , even fake respect for the shake of political correctness.
IE although we all know the untamed character of Ibrahimivic or Balloteli, but even if they play against Stirling Albion, they will comment something "cliche" like "we respect every opponent etc,etc". Not because they believe it, but because that's political correct and keeps some balances.
Something that i have never seen on E-Sports. Especially in their personal streams, most pros even if they play shite, they just flame in other people with expressions like "nub" "git gut" l2p" "die noob" etc etc.
Or maybe there are polite e-sports pros, but they are very rare and i have not spotted them.
To sum up what i want to say is, i usuall dont take serious what these type of people are saying, or even better i just don't give a damn, about pro-influencer-esports dudes opinions. They seem to me worse than a 7 years old spoilled child ,the way they behave.

P.S.: I think @Madmac79 who used back in the days to play LoL too, can confirm.

Yeah I completely confirm 100%. I don't follow Fifa and Pes pro/streaming scene (except from some local, innocent exception) but LOL one.. man, it's miserable, don't know how else to comment it.

I'm no sociologist, but I suspect that the moment you give a kid tons of money (sometimes even millions euros) and you let him be worshipped by thousands of people because he's essentially good at a videogame without any kind of real control or adult figure to help him cope, things might turn bad for his character, absolutely.

Then I don't say it's absolutely always 100% the case. But the examples are there and quite abudant.

Random editing question : In the promo period it was shown that shirt names can have special characters like È, Ě, Ü etc. And it was a Bayern screenshot.

Until now indeed, in the edit mode the PS4 keyboard allows me to enter special characters in shirtname, but it is never shown on kit. It shows them like plain characters IE the Ü in kit is shown as U.
Is this a feature only for some kits or for some licensed clubs?

@slamsoze @Madmac79 agreed. I always got a feeling of negativity and toxicity in competitive online gaming, too. And it's not just kids, it's grown men that suffer from unhealthy addiction and some sort of mental degradation from this. I've seen many posts online from people describing in detail how FUT changed their personality and literally ruined their lives (socially, financially, etc.). Again, hundreds of thousands (millions?) of grown men who structure their lives around "weekend league" and trying to game a market of digital trading cards... all in a game that induces uncontrollable rage from most of them. And this kind of gaming is a relatively new phenomenon still, as a segment of entertainment industry, so perhaps regulators haven't found a way to properly handle it yet. When the Belgians passed that law, it was promising, but I haven't heard about developments since.

So I view this dude is a typical fut player, but with a crown that grew on his head due to being on top of that "field", so to speak. We here mostly just like old-school style gaming, purely for fun - playing with friends, playing our master leagues, enjoying football. And this guy comes across as psychotic. But, unfortunately, for them that's the norm.

euro2020_main_en.jpg

Paperthin content.

I never got this myself.. he's a scumbag, nothing else. I was amazed how all the streamers were so happy to see him on this side of the pitch. Now they will slowly all go into hiding and pretend that nothing happened.
I honestly thought Pes community were wiser than this..

People love watching trash content. Thats it. Entertaining to some extent and creates discussion.

Random editing question : In the promo period it was shown that shirt names can have special characters like È, Ě, Ü etc. And it was a Bayern screenshot.

Until now indeed, in the edit mode the PS4 keyboard allows me to enter special characters in shirtname, but it is never shown on kit. It shows them like plain characters IE the Ü in kit is shown as U.
Is this a feature only for some kits or for some licensed clubs?
These special characters are only available for the kits of some of the partner clubs.

Thank you @slamsoze @Madmac79 and @Sobakus for the hint. Reading that this guy is totally in the norm of this crowd should not surprise me that much, but still, what an asshole! To think that footy game development is now influenced by these guys makes me really desperate for the future of footy games. A third company targeting a different gamer niche is our only hope.

In my opinion i am scared that such a guy is now associated with Pes streaming. Scared because watching his number Konami will be even more validated in focusing on Myclub alone. Anyways i prefer streamers like Pesep and others with their little chill communities.

I think that's the plan regardless. One streamer isn't going to change that. One look at their investors reports will tell you all you need to know about what their plan has been and will continue to be.

I don't watch streamers as much as I used to. I always felt like there were 2 categories: chill and over the top. Nothing in between. This dude is in the latter from what I've seen and read.

I'm not a fan of toxic behavior even if it's just his streaming persona.

As for the argument that the extra attention is good, honestly I really don't know. It would be good if say Konami was looking to can the series because of lack of sales but PES has done well financially the last few years.

The only way a playerbase increase could genuinely impact their plans for the game is if a bunch of new people strictly played BAL or ML and then demanded improvements to those modes.

But the reality most people are gonna go right to their marquee online mode. The one they've prioritized anyway.

Thank you @slamsoze @Madmac79 and @Sobakus for the hint. Reading that this guy is totally in the norm of this crowd should not surprise me that much, but still, what an asshole! To think that footy game development is now influenced by these guys makes me really desperate for the future of footy games. A third company targeting a different gamer niche is our only hope.

I don't think either company puts anywhere as much stock into streamers etc. as much as people think they do. I think the invitations of streamers and youtubers etc is purely a form of marketing.

I don't think either company puts anywhere as much stock into streamers etc. as much as people think they do. I think the invitations of streamers and youtubers etc is purely a form of marketing.

English is not my mother tong so sorry if I don't get it correctly. Do you mean the FUT/Myclub/Streamers crowd have not their word to say in the game development process? If that's what you mean, I think FIFA20 is a perfect example that they actually do have an influence. Look at what EA did to the defensive system for the sake of FUTers thirst for skill gap!

English is not my mother tong so sorry if I don't get it correctly. Do you mean the FUT/Myclub/Streamers crowd have not their word to say in the game development process? If that's what you mean, I think FIFA20 is a perfect example that they actually do have an influence. Look at what EA did to the defensive system for the sake of FUTers thirst for skill gap!

I don't play FIFA so fair enough.

And what I meant was they don't have as much influence as people think they do.

Companies certainly listen to what consumers have to say, but consumer feedback isn't something easy to take advice from because a lot of what players say is contradictory anyway. Same goes for the more 'influential' folks.

So I'll always take the whole 'listening to the community' stuff with a grain of salt

FUT is they're primary mode. So whatever changes they make are always going to be tailored towards that experience because that's what people are playing and that's what they want people playing.

Just like how I feel the behavior of the AI has been tailored more towards myclub and competitive play in PES.

Last edited:
Thank you for this! The game has opened up quite a bit for me due to these tips.

It's still horrible when you play someone using PA2-3 online but otherwise it's ok.

A question though, I kind of like Basic shooting since it feels kind of stat- based now (especially with better players) but how is Advanved animation- wise? More varied?

I prefer basic, Advanced is nice in theory but its so alien in button input to everything else you doing, its becomes poorly mapped to shoot consistently.

Basic is solid, i like how its so reliant on body position, i dislike how a lot of shots do go centrally towards the keeper.

I 8/10 times use manual when shooting form range.

I prefer basic, Advanced is nice in theory but its so alien in button input to everything else you doing, its becomes poorly mapped to shoot consistently.

Basic is solid, i like how its so reliant on body position, i dislike how a lot of shots do go centrally towards the keeper.

Advanced is weird in that I didn't know for the longest time you have to aim away from the goal to shoot low. I haven't used basic I think ever honestly

Advanced is weird in that I didn't know for the longest time you have to aim away from the goal to shoot low. I haven't used basic I think ever honestly
Advanced is great , it's the only mode where 1 on 1 I can place low accurately as the keroer.. I see a more variety of shots compared to manual. On top of that you can use the manual over ride button so best of both worlds for me..

The guy that switched form Fifa Kurt or something like that yesterday already said that Pes gameplay is shit.

All is good, hopefully he will stop streaming Pes.

The gameplay still feels soulless. The ball physics on shooting is terrible. Feels like there are no buoyancy or gravity. The trajectory is too flat. The CPU AI is still linear when it comes to their attacking 3rd. All they attempt to do is through pass to their striker and turn and try to score. Once you get use to that, you can easily win 38 matches. It's too predictable and easy. Also for some reason, there seems to be 0 awareness for players off the ball. When a ball is loose, no one wants to take the ball. Players are too busy trying to get into the correct position and follow tactics more than follow the fundamentals of football. Also don't get me started on CPU just back tracking leaving so much space and time on the midfield. The whole logic is flawed. The last good PES was 2017. It's a shame because the gameplay controls and graphics have improved so much. But the gameplay is soulless boring and have no replay value. I am in the same boat as @Matt10 here. They really have to focus on priorities here with the behavior of a player. Like get the fundamentals correct. And then the player stats before moving to tactics and traits.

The gameplay still feels soulless. The ball physics on shooting is terrible. Feels like there are no buoyancy or gravity. The trajectory is too flat. The CPU AI is still linear when it comes to their attacking 3rd. All they attempt to do is through pass to their striker and turn and try to score. Once you get use to that, you can easily win 38 matches. It's too predictable and easy. Also for some reason, there seems to be 0 awareness for players off the ball. When a ball is loose, no one wants to take the ball. Players are too busy trying to get into the correct position and follow tactics more than follow the fundamentals of football. Also don't get me started on CPU just back tracking leaving so much space and time on the midfield. The whole logic is flawed. The last good PES was 2017. It's a shame because the gameplay controls and graphics have improved so much. But the gameplay is soulless boring and have no replay value. I am in the same boat as @Matt10 here. They really have to focus on priorities here with the behavior of a player. Like get the fundamentals correct. And then the player stats before moving to tactics and traits.
PES is virtual table football (foosball). It's all about rigid player positioning with no programming that considers transition, a huge part of the game that's just... completely missing. To repeat myself, I say this as someone who currently enjoys it more than the other game purely because I have to build up play around the box due to A) how deep the AI sit and B) how the AI will take the ball off you 10/10 times if you try to dribble around them, which I actually really like (even though it's not realistic), because I have to work the ball past them instead.

It has huge problems. Unfortunately, I still don't think there's much that's better - and it'll only get worse with game design decisions being made purely based on eSports (e.g. defenders being mannequins in the other game, because of online players crying about AI representations of world-class defenders doing defending on their own, WHAT ABOUT THE SKILL GAP, WAHHHH). But anyone who says PES is the "real football simulation" etc. is just being, in my honest opinion, massively pretentious and willing to ignore everything that's missing because it's not FIFA. In-fact, the game may as well drop "PES" as a title and just be called "Not-FIFA". That's all that matters to some.

I'm trying to wean myself off football games in general, and it's hard, because every console I've ever bought as an adult, it's been because I couldn't wait to see what football games were like on there. Here we are in 2020 and... They're shit. Sorry, but they are. The fact that the closest thing to fun I can get is by getting a PC and cracking open the gameplay files of the other game, modding every physics variable to try and slow everything down... I mean... It's depressing.

Here we are in a world with flight simulators, train simulators - and the guys who make Train Sim World have even said they have to limit their plans based on the limited technology of current consoles, due to how many mechanical and physical calculations are built into their engine. But football games... It's a choice between "same game restrictions from ten years ago with pretty faces" or "speedboat microtransaction world".

Last edited:
Advanced is great , it's the only mode where 1 on 1 I can place low accurately as the keroer.. I see a more variety of shots compared to manual. On top of that you can use the manual over ride button so best of both worlds for me..

Yeah I agree. Hence why I've stuck with it.

They really have to focus on priorities here with the behavior of a player. Like get the fundamentals correct. And then the player stats before moving to tactics and traits.

I agree. But they won't. Because their priority is efootball and not real football; competitive sports gaming will never look like the real thing. Hence why they won't bother trying to make their game, that prioritizes online multiplayer, resemble it anymore than it already does imo

As I've mentioned a thousand times, I'm playing a fixed cursor ML save instead of BAL. It's nice but one thing that I wish I had was the ability to sub my player on and off without having to control other players.

So I was wondering if there's a way to switch coach mode on and off during a match. I wonder if there's some kind of tool that let's you do this on PC.

I had a new idea, which I tried out yesterday; playing keeper when 'my player' is on the bench. The keeping controls are very weird so I don't think it's going to be a long term thing for me

Since I have a lot of time under my belt lately (sic) I gave another try to Pes 2020.

I think the latest data packs made it a bit better, but essentially it's still.. don't know how to put it.. unfun? Boring? And certainly not in a way real football is.

I started a ML with Ganzhou, in China, the team of Paulinho and Talisca.
It has some nice rythm at zero. Animations are top notch. When this game propose you a small percentage situation to happen, it feels great.. I remember I was attacking, being stopped by the defender, steal the ball with another midfielder, barely passed between two defenders, shoot with the toe of my foot and beat the keeper on the near post. Man it felt GREAT.

But situations like this are.. rare? Neglectable? For the most of my gaming time I experience super defenders, super goalkeepers and a generally "static" game that force me to search always the same goals.

Ball in the feet sometimes it looks fantastic, especially with a superstar or a even just a well known player, like Paulinho here or some Naingollan at Cagliari. But ultimately it reveals like an illusion.. once you start to dribble or to pass around or to shoot, it's kinda dull all the same.

I mean for how much you could tinker or adjust it, most of the awful things are still there.
Like for example how CPU still doesn't consider player ID or even move said players on the field with some intelligence.
I want Dzeko to defend the fucking ball and be a fucking pain in the ass on long balls. I want Sterling to dribble me if I give him space. I don't want the perfect thing, but at least a decent approximation of that.. fuck yes. Shouldn't be this much to ask.

Since I have a lot of time under my belt lately (sic) I gave another try to Pes 2020.

I think the latest data packs made it a bit better, but essentially it's still.. don't know how to put it.. unfun? Boring? And certainly not in a way real football is.

I started a ML with Ganzhou, in China, the team of Paulinho and Talisca.
It has some nice rythm at zero. Animations are top notch. When this game propose you a small percentage situation to happen, it feels great.. I remember I was attacking, being stopped by the defender, steal the ball with another midfielder, barely passed between two defenders, shoot with the toe of my foot and beat the keeper on the near post. Man it felt GREAT.

But situations like this are.. rare? Neglectable? For the most of my gaming time I experience super defenders, super goalkeepers and a generally "static" game that force me to search always the same goals.

Ball in the feet sometimes it looks fantastic, especially with a superstar or a even just a well known player, like Paulinho here or some Naingollan at Cagliari. But ultimately it reveals like an illusion.. once you start to dribble or to pass around or to shoot, it's kinda dull all the same.

I mean for how much you could tinker or adjust it, most of the awful things are still there.
Like for example how CPU still doesn't consider player ID or even move said players on the field with some intelligence.
I want Dzeko to defend the fucking ball and be a fucking pain in the ass on long balls. I want Sterling to dribble me if I give him space. I don't want the perfect thing, but at least a decent approximation of that.. fuck yes. Shouldn't be this much to ask.

You mean something close to a game from 7 years ago at least? You are asking for way too much nowdays.

Apart from the shot power which is bad across all shooting types, they really have improved basic shooting quite a bit this year and I'm happy to use it with the occasional manual modifier

I feel that manual shooting is somewhat easier this year, and I would likely use it more if it didn't have such a high wrong foot accuracy. Manual headers are great but because if the issue with the wrong foot I have been playing on basic. An option to mix basic shooting with manual headers would be neat.

Back
Top Bottom