eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

TTB is shocked!

Ricky is shocked for all the wrong reasons. The own goal is a mistake from the AI defender and yes it looks stupid. It happens irl. 2 PL games yesterday had comedy gold goals (ManCity midfield mistake and Southampton goalkeeper comedy ball distribution).
He was spamming the sprint button and most of his players were drained early. He complains AI doesn't shoot from outside the box and after 2 minutes we see them shoot.
He complains about AI variety and in his game Chelsea is playing some beautiful balls, switching sides etc.
He rarely uses shielding, he doesn't even cross with L1+triangle. He's constantly playing the give and go resulting to his players being out of position several times.
I played 2 games yesterday in my English Championship ML and Bristol committed 16(!) fouls in a 25min match. West Brom commited 13 fouls in the next game.

I was just thinking about the disappointment that is derby matches in ML.

Entire cutscenes are dedicated to its build up. You're now interviewed before the match itself. You get one final scene before you start the match as well.

You get into the match and your opponent is aggressive with their tactics and their physicality.

But there's one aspect that Konami appears to not have considered and that's the referee.

With derby matches being the wars they want them to be on the pitch, Konami should've implemented something that reduced the referee's tolerance for bad behavior. Because a referee should absolutely not be in the position to lose control of the match. Especially one as fiery as a ML derby match.

The last derby match I played was against Liverpool. Frankly they went out of their way to injure me and you would've thought the ref caught me with his wife and daughter at the same time with the level of indifference he showed to Liverpool's behavior.

There was once a time where referees had characteristics. I think that should absolutely come back. But even if they don't, Konami need to augment the refs in the same way they've augmented everything else in regards to derby matches.

Any match that's played with the level of physicality that the AI plays against you should never end 11 on 11 imo.

Ricky is shocked for all the wrong reasons. The own goal is a mistake from the AI defender and yes it looks stupid. It happens irl. 2 PL games yesterday had comedy gold goals (ManCity midfield mistake and Southampton goalkeeper comedy ball distribution).
He was spamming the sprint button and most of his players were drained early. He complains AI doesn't shoot from outside the box and after 2 minutes we see them shoot.
He complains about AI variety and in his game Chelsea is playing some beautiful balls, switching sides etc.
He rarely uses shielding, he doesn't even cross with L1+triangle. He's constantly playing the give and go resulting to his players being out of position several times.
I played 2 games yesterday in my English Championship ML and Bristol committed 16(!) fouls in a 25min match. West Brom commited 13 fouls in the next game.
So he played the game the wrong way?
Got it!
Funny you didn't mention flaws like in the 19th minute were he can't even receive the ball,it just bounces off him,did he play that wrong too?

I played a game in my Lecce ML earlier,and I'm so disappointed with this game,it's so poorly done.
The CPU didn't dribble once in 20 minutes.
The obvious short cuts were all there,my strong/fast fw got bullied off the ball everytime by very low rated defenders,or couldn't out sprint them or just had a perfect tackle Vs him every time.
Instead of coding the players properly,making stats matter for the ai,they just have a slump generator raising the their skills when facing a good striker,a cheat code that is so boring.
And the obvious cheat of having a bad pass reception in a critical situation (through on goal) making your player lose a step or too and the CPU is in and wins the ball

I felt absolutely nothing playing this,still regard Pes 15 groundbreaking Vs this mess,not to mention how fresh 17+18 is Vs this

The last derby match I played was against Liverpool. Frankly they went out of their way to injure me and you would've thought the ref caught me with his wife and daughter at the same time with the level of indifference he showed to Liverpool's behavior

This has been in for ages,at least since 17.
All my derbies Vs Inter results in a long term injury for me,until I learned if I injury them first my players won't be
I've hacked down Icardi in every derby on 17 the past 4-5 seasons.

So he played the game the wrong way?
Got it!
Funny you didn't mention flaws like in the 19th minute were he can't even receive the ball,it just bounces off him,did he play that wrong too?

I played a game in my Lecce ML earlier,and I'm so disappointed with this game,it's so poorly done.
The CPU didn't dribble once in 20 minutes.
The obvious short cuts were all there,my strong/fast fw got bullied off the ball everytime by very low rated defenders,or couldn't out sprint them or just had a perfect tackle Vs him every time.
Instead of coding the players properly,making stats matter for the ai,they just have a slump generator raising the their skills when facing a good striker,a cheat code that is so boring.
And the obvious cheat of having a bad pass reception in a critical situation (through on goal) making your player lose a step or too and the CPU is in and wins the ball

I felt absolutely nothing playing this,still regard Pes 15 groundbreaking Vs this mess,not to mention how fresh 17+18 is Vs this
So he had a wrong first touch or whatever once in the game which felt completely random and it's a major game flaw? Many times as he receives the ball he right away presses the sprint button. Compare his games to Spoony Pizza YouTube series.
I don't expect everyone to have the same experience from this game. If you wanna go back to the "playing the wrong way" argument I'm not gonna follow.

So he had a wrong first touch or whatever once in the game which felt completely random and it's a major game flaw? Many times as he receives the ball he right away presses the sprint button. Compare his games to Spoony Pizza YouTube series.
I don't expect everyone to have the same experience from this game. If you wanna go back to the "playing the wrong way" argument I'm not gonna follow.
That wrong touch is a very occuring thing,funny how often that happens,often when having a chance to move fw.
Horrible and completely soulless game

Are you gonna chalk this off as user error as well?

I suppose I didn't properly utilize Dele Alli's pre-match, R1+R2+X+X+O spaghetti combo to satisfy his hunger. If only I did he wouldn't be running off for a half-time snack.

This has been in for ages,at least since 17.
All my derbies Vs Inter results in a long term injury for me,until I learned if I injury them first my players won't be
I've hacked down Icardi in every derby on 17 the past 4-5 seasons.

Rock said this isn't a derby this is a blood feud lmao

Are you gonna chalk this off as user error as well?

I suppose I didn't properly utilize Dele Alli's pre-match, R1+R2+X+X+O spaghetti combo to satisfy his hunger. If only I did he wouldn't be running off for a half-time snack.
It's an issue with the AI awareness in this situation because of the initial contact between the 2 players. If you think it's game breaking and it's happening all the time to your games why are you torturing yourself by playing it?

It's an issue with the AI awareness in this situation because of the initial contact between the 2 players. If you think it's game breaking and it's happening all the time to your games why are you torturing yourself by playing it?
Because it does not happen in all 90 minutes of his game, as you trying to present it, in order to make his point ridiculous.

And because whoever plays the game has the right to showcase the negatives and criticize them.

Or should all us, become zombies and only post comments : "Wow, awesome. Can't wait to play it in my 4K TV. Awesome pre-ordered. Best of the best of da best ever soccah game created. Best PES ever, even better than last PES. "

Because it does not happen in all 90 minutes of his game, as you trying to present it, in order to make his point ridiculous.

And because whoever plays the game has the right to showcase the negatives and criticize them.

Or should all us, become zombies and only post comments : "Wow, awesome. Can't wait to play it in my 4K TV. Awesome pre-ordered. Best of the best of da best ever soccah game created. Best PES ever, even better than last PES. "
You're making illogical leaps and saying things I never said in my posts. Ofc it's great showcasing the negatives and ofc there are flaws in the game. If you don't want some random things happening in the game and you want full skill control then you need to find another football videogame. I'm totally OK with random bad first touches even though there is a specific button to press while receiving the ball. I'm accepting AI awareness issues as long as it doesn't happen all the time.
My opinion won't change. This game is hands down the best recreation of football. No other football videogame have ever done so right the attack vs set defense game and it's a joy trying to break down this kind of defense by being creative in the way you play.

You're making illogical leaps and saying things I never said in my posts. Ofc it's great showcasing the negatives and ofc there are flaws in the game. If you don't want some random things happening in the game and you want full skill control then you need to find another football videogame. I'm totally OK with random bad first touches even though there is a specific button to press while receiving the ball. I'm accepting AI awareness issues as long as it doesn't happen all the time.
My opinion won't change. This game is hands down the best recreation of football. No other football videogame have ever done so right the attack vs set defense game and it's a joy trying to break down this kind of defense by being creative in the way you play.
You told @Redhat to stop torturing himself by playing the game, when he posted a video of Dele Alli being completely unaware of a ball in front of him (possibly he got dizzy by the collision :P), and I am the one making illogical leaps?

I am the one stopping the leaps here. Let's stick to the clip. I see a "Benny Hill" collision and a player running to unknown. What do you see?

Last edited:

It does indeed. Their are a tons of issues in the game. But, no other football game comes close to this realism, in how it feels. Having played football in the real, this, feels like football to me.

Something i noticed re dp8... .. after watching truebrits playing on superstar, i tried going up to the same level (as ive been playing on Top player for the last 3 or 4 weeks, including this new dp8 - where ive noticed quite a positive difference in gameplay). After trying Superstar, which seemed the same sucky scripting as dp7, im convinced that Top player is where this game is at.. this is where ive noticed the all the positive differences. Superstar seems very similar to dp7, where key players dont matter as much, the gameplay is quite a bit faster and more frantic, and you get the ping pong crap from the opposition where limited mistakes are made, and they are so hard to dispossess and close down. Top player is a totally different game.
The ones how arent getting the vibe from this new dp, what level are you guys playing on?? for me topplayer and superstar are night day apart... makes or breaks the game for me.

Im finding SS a lot easier on this DP8. I still didnt play any league or cup mode though.

Anyway, this game was fine a couple of DP ago. I said fine, not great or the best, but It was quite playable. Im keeping asking myself whats happening.

You told @Redhat to stop torturing himself by playing the game, when he posted a video of Dele Alli being completely unaware of a ball in front of him (possibly he got dizzy by the collision :P), and I am the one making illogical leaps?

I am the one stopping the leaps here. Let's stick to the clip. I see a "Benny Hill" collision and a player running to unknown. What do you see?
Sorry I was meant to quote Redhat. I'm seeing exactly what you see. The engine algorithm fails because of the collision and issues the order for the player to seek place either in his normal positioning area or to defend. It depends on how frequently it happens. I had it also like twice in hundreds of games? Is it an issue? Yes it is. Is it game breaking? I don't think so.

I desperately want to love PES2020 but the fundamental flaws make it impossible for me to even enjoy it. The Ai is so one dimensional and inorganic that often feels devoid of fun and replayability. Their are moments of sheer joy when playing but these moments are as rare as the Ai conceding a penalty. Pes 2019 had it's share of issues but the fun factor is a lot more consistent, imo.

Comeback PES 2019 all is forgiven.

I'm accepting AI awareness issues as long as it doesn't happen all the time.

Except they do happen all the time. Literally actually every single match. Not to mention the player switching issues that just exacerbate the AIs complete lack of situational awareness.

Of course my experience is slightly different as I only play fixed cursor. But yes I see pretty egregious behavior every single match and that isn't an exaggeration.

No one will ever put it better.

I desperately want to love PES2020 but the fundamental flaws make it impossible for me to even enjoy it. The Ai is so one dimensional and inorganic that often feels devoid of fun and replayability. Their are moments of sheer joy when playing but these moments are as rare as the Ai conceding a penalty. Pes 2019 had it's share of issues but the fun factor is a lot more consistent, imo.

Comeback PES 2019 all is forgiven.

It was fun, wasn’t it ... watching the ai walk to the corner flag when 1 on 1.

It was fun, wasn’t it ... watching the ai walk to the corner flag when 1 on 1.
I was referring to gameplay fundamentals not bugs. I never said pes 2019 was perfect, but subsequent updates improved the game to a certain degree. Pes 2020 seems to be getting progressively worse with each data pack (Iin my opinion).

Mate, what does Ofc stand for I may ask?!

Back
Top Bottom