eFootball PES 2020 Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox One)

It's so *ucking booring and stupid game when you play You vs COM.. Worst Pes what i have play. Today i just play one exhibition match and that's was enough for me.. :( Bad coding and VERY bad scripting... Sunday i play againts my best friend, i hope gameplay works better then.. :)

Actually had a bit of fun with this last night, on DP8 or whatever the latest one is.
On TP, exhibition. SS is not fun.
Bayern at Ajax. Lots of freedom, new animations. Able to dribble.
Some new short pass animations.
New long pass type too from Thiago.
It actually felt ok, the ball really rolls so had some momentum to it.
I'm a bit confused by it tbh.
Never lasts to the next morning though...

Actually had a bit of fun with this last night, on DP8 or whatever the latest one is.
On TP, exhibition. SS is not fun.
Bayern at Ajax. Lots of freedom, new animations. Able to dribble.
Some new short pass animations.
New long pass type too from Thiago.
It actually felt ok, the ball really rolls so had some momentum to it.
I'm a bit confused by it tbh.
Never lasts to the next morning though...

Didnt last...

Unfortunately it rarely does last. It's so frustrating that the devs are more than capable of making the ai far better than they currently are with a few tweaks but choose not too.

It feels like they reached the engine limit sometime with pes 17 and since then, theyve had to remove things to add things

What tends to happen is after playing the other game for a while, which I'm still enjoying, the heaviness and precision of pes 2020 can create the illusion of freshness. Then the.total absence of physics or any actual game 'systems' starts to bite.

One part of me is optimistic for pes 2022. Pes 2020 represents the shell of a good game...if, and it's a giant if, if konami could add advanced AI and ball/player physics, then we could have a genuinely good game on our hands.
The good news is those two issues are fairly obvious and discrete and improving them will improve the game hundred-fold.
The bad news is they require investment and the will to genuinely blow us away.

In many ways, I feel they.might even be ahead of EA who need to revamp everything to make it a proper representation of football, whereas konami have to simply add proper technology to a pretty decent base-level of animation, player models, graphics etc.

Somehow I think I can tolerate Pes 20 in league mode,not loving it,barely liking it etc, mainly because of a licensed Juventus/Serie B.
But,how the hell do I make the game look good?
Yellow pitches etc,don't want to fiddle with my TV settings since ALL other games looks superb in 4k/HDR10 on my X.
Any fix inside the game?

Some manual through balls without the need of ∆ (haven't touched the button for years, best to unlearn that habit of you're getting into full manual):

Got the un patched physical version on PS4 and the digital version with all patches installed on another PS4 console. I've noticed the latest live update has changed the Ai somewhat. Ai seem a little more varied and CPU v CPU games are a little more dramatic with even several penalties.
Ai are still a long way off being as great as they could be but games definitely feel more lively. Anyone else feeling this?

Update

Definitely seeing more penalties. What kind of sorcery is this?

Last edited:
Got the un patched physical version on PS4 and the digital version with all patches installed on another PS4 console. I've noticed the latest live update has changed the Ai somewhat. Ai seem a little more varied and CPU v CPU games are a little more dramatic with even several penalties.
Ai are still a long way off being as great as they could be but games definitely feel more lively. Anyone else feeling this?

Update

Definitely seeing more penalties. What kind of sorcery is this?

tenor.gif

here is an example of the disgusting scripting in ML that ruins any enjoyment that's me in white and blue trying to intercept the AI defenders pass that I read (turn off the sound as I had my fan on trying to cool my rage sweating forehead)

Tbh it wasnt even the worst scripted moment in the game that was when my winger won possession from their full back in their half that would have left me in a 3 on 2 situation but the game bumped my player away from the ball so their defender recovered to his feet got the ball and after started the process of 1 touch passing that led to a goal for them lol

here is an example of the disgusting scripting in ML that ruins any enjoyment that's me in white and blue trying to intercept the AI defenders pass that I read (turn off the sound as I had my fan on trying to cool my rage sweating forehead)

Tbh it wasnt even the worst scripted moment in the game that was when my winger won possession from their full back in their half that would have left me in a 3 on 2 situation but the game bumped my player away from the ball so their defender recovered to his feet got the ball and after started the process of 1 touch passing that led to a goal for them lol
I have one League Mode going,plus one ML,both with Olympique Marseille.

Both campaigns has exactly the same schedule,playing the same teams etc.

I'm playing TP/20 min PA1 on both.
The difference is so big between the modes,you can actually feel how bad your players move,you can also see how they react slower,gets bumped off the ball,can't dribble freely,losing a step when running etc.
Huge huge difference between the crappy ML (my TS going in to my first games are 79) Vs how free league mode plays,I know going in to a duel/tackle/dribble that my stats/speed etc will make it 50/50 or better,but in ML, some me moves I just don't do,it's pointless,you'll lose every time.

Can't believe anyone still plays ML.
I'd gladly take a ML without TS, that'll make a lot of the "shitty" Pes games (on ML) very playable.
I'm on n Pes 19 btw

I have one League Mode going,plus one ML,both with Olympique Marseille.

Both campaigns has exactly the same schedule,playing the same teams etc.

I'm playing TP/20 min PA1 on both.
The difference is so big between the modes,you can actually feel how bad your players move,you can also see how they react slower,gets bumped off the ball,can't dribble freely,losing a step when running etc.
Huge huge difference between the crappy ML (my TS going in to my first games are 79) Vs how free league mode plays,I know going in to a duel/tackle/dribble that my stats/speed etc will make it 50/50 or better,but in ML, some me moves I just don't do,it's pointless,you'll lose every time.

Can't believe anyone still plays ML.
I'd gladly take a ML without TS, that'll make a lot of the "shitty" Pes games (on ML) very playable.
I'm on n Pes 19 btw
I've said it before but the biggest shock I ever had with PES (2019 I think it was), was playing the ML on Regular (or Professional, I forget), just to see what happened. I'd never gone below Top Player before.

And it was genuinely shocking. Moving my players around, they had a freedom I'd never felt up to that point. It was like I was playing PES 2022, in all seriousness - the gameplay was THAT different.

That's when I realised that the difficulty levels are much less "opponent difficulty" and much more "the ability of your players difficulty".

Since then, playing PES on a challenging difficulty has just felt like playing a really old, poorly animated game (where your players stumble at the mere sight of a defender), with a laggy controller, via the world's shittest WiFi. The complete opposite of realism - yet it's lauded for realism.

If that's the only way they can make the game difficult, then A) they don't deserve my money and B) PES 2022 was DESPERATELY NEEDED.

So I have to support their plan, to essentially "skip" 2021. I'm not interested in this same, shitty "shortcut the programming to make the game difficult" game for the next ten years. Enough...

I've said it before but the biggest shock I ever had with PES (2019 I think it was), was playing the ML on Regular (or Professional, I forget), just to see what happened. I'd never gone below Top Player before.

And it was genuinely shocking. Moving my players around, they had a freedom I'd never felt up to that point. It was like I was playing PES 2022, in all seriousness - the gameplay was THAT different.

That's when I realised that the difficulty levels are much less "opponent difficulty" and much more "the ability of your players difficulty".

Since then, playing PES on a challenging difficulty has just felt like playing a really old, poorly animated game (where your players stumble at the mere sight of a defender), with a laggy controller, via the world's shittest WiFi. The complete opposite of realism - yet it's lauded for realism.

If that's the only way they can make the game difficult, then A) they don't deserve my money and B) PES 2022 was DESPERATELY NEEDED.

So I have to support their plan, to essentially "skip" 2021. I'm not interested in this same, shitty "shortcut the programming to make the game difficult" game for the next ten years. Enough...
I played Pes 19 on regular difficulty for a while (ML) and I really enjoyed it, unfortunately it got a bit to easy,even on PA0,but pretty much all Pes games plays very good on that difficulty (especially 18+19 which feels free Vs 17+20)

I kinda feel that if they let go off TS,this game (or 19,I hate 20) would be very good.
I'm playing league mode which is free of TS,TP as a mid table team is challenging,I get beat more than I win,but so far (two seasons in) I haven't felt cheated.
Or I haven't felt cheated like I do after one game of ML football.

I changed team (restarted) from a bottom team in Serie A to a top 5 team in France,so far im winning,but once I start playing PSG/Lyon or other teams in my Europa League group I'll see if it holds up.

But I'm really liking it,feels fair,I can pull off moves ,I can win battles/tackles,I can lose the ball dribbling,but still retain it quite often,this never happens in ML.
Yeah,no transfers etc,but after years of shitty gameplay both here and on FIFA,I'll take it!

Interesting. I don't think I've played below TP either. Nor have I played League, free of Team Spirit.

That said, to agree with you I don't need to. I stepped down from Legend for my own sanity and - despite myriad complaints from other quarters - I don't fine Superstar so bad. Although perhaps it's only by comparison.

But after stringing together a few wins I thought I'd up it again, in the vain hope that my newfound mastery of Superstar had let me find my mojo. Oh no.

I could tell almost from kick off, as the recipient turned like an oil tanker to play a laboured pass out wide, poorly controlled by the winger to accelerates like... an oil tanker.

The difficulty levels are merely tranquilisers for your squad.

i kept on playing my 1-3 vanilla matches each night for over a week now (licensed teams only, licensed stadiums only, 20 min, fuma). just couldnt let it go! really. its rough around the edges but still the best 2020 version, imo!

and i'm writing this not because i want to praise the game for the sake of it, but something happend last night. :D
i finally managed to use the right stick dribbling to a fuller potential. flicking or holding, as we all know, are the base controls. and i used to flick it a lot of the times in combination with the left stick (some step overs with R2+RS in between). why i did flick it more than holding? because its much more unnatural to me to hold that RS rather than using R2+LS like it was before.

but since last night (i had to go to bed because of work today but i wish i couldve stayed up all night) it clicked. boy oh boy... i'm holding the right stick now in combination with LS but i hold it a bit longer than before. so many lovely animations are "hidden" here! please believe me! i've never seen some of them and i bet we all could unleash them when we had R2+LS back. the new control setting need some getting used to (and i'm still a fan of the old scheme)... and as i said, it took me month, but it clicked now and i want to see more!

i'll surely upload some more vanilla nutters gameplay soon! youll see. should look different to me prior gameplay videos.

have a good day folks!!!

edit: my man @The_Knight made me fiddle with the cam settings again (i'm wathcing to much of his stuff) :D. i lowered the cam even more and it looks even more like tv now. not the cam mods from pc quality (that is just insane :APPLAUD: (in a good way)) but better. my settings sould be something like zoom: 3, height: 0, angle: 8 now.

Last edited:

Yes, I've always maintained that the difficulty levels aren't so much the challenge of the AI, It's more the handicap on the human player.

Legend difficulty is the cheapest. The AI doesn't actually do anything any differently to you then they do on Superstar, It's just there's even more resistance between your defenders on their attackers, yet as soon as you touch the ball your pressed off the pitch in an instant, everything is even less responsive, Your passes and shots are softer than a baby's bubble bath and everything you do is a foul. All in the name of "challenge". Well, It's got nothing to do with football.

But that's why as you say, It's great to drop it down to a difficulty level for a stress free experience. You shouldn't be playing a football game and dreading simple things like player switching or responsiveness. It's like being scared of your daily commute to work because your steering wheel is unreliable. But you can fix that at a garage or heck, get a new car. The difference here is there's not much you can do to fix the game and you can't exactly get a new game. But you can go and play older games which like old cars, Have less bells and whistles but are more reliable and do the damn job!

Yes, I've always maintained that the difficulty levels aren't so much the challenge of the AI, It's more the handicap on the human player.

Legend difficulty is the cheapest. The AI doesn't actually do anything any differently to you then they do on Superstar, It's just there's even more resistance between your defenders on their attackers, yet as soon as you touch the ball your pressed off the pitch in an instant, everything is even less responsive, Your passes and shots are softer than a baby's bubble bath and everything you do is a foul. All in the name of "challenge". Well, It's got nothing to do with football.

But that's why as you say, It's great to drop it down to a difficulty level for a stress free experience. You shouldn't be playing a football game and dreading simple things like player switching or responsiveness. It's like being scared of your daily commute to work because your steering wheel is unreliable. But you can fix that at a garage or heck, get a new car. The difference here is there's not much you can do to fix the game and you can't exactly get a new game. But you can go and play older games which like old cars, Have less bells and whistles but are more reliable and do the damn job!

Totally agree. There are three things that piss me clean off about Legend: acceleration, acceleration, acceleration. When dribbling, when receiving a pass or intercepting, and when covering in defence. Couple the latter with atrocious player switching and I'd sooner have a bath with my PS4 than continue to play it. It becomes a chore to play.

Went back three consoles yesterday for some J League Jikkyou Winning Eleven 2001. Bittersweet experience because it's fantastic but also because some things - like player switching - are (preposterously) better than they are in a game I want to love, made nearly 20 years later.

Went back three consoles yesterday for some J League Jikkyou Winning Eleven 2001. Bittersweet experience because it's fantastic but also because some things - like player switching - are (preposterously) better than they are in a game I want to love, made nearly 20 years later.
This. I say this all the time but these games engineered the basics flawlessly compared to the modern games. They work so well that your literally not thinking about it. It's like how you don't think about chewing while your eating, You enjoy your food - Until you have tooth ache and you can stop noticing it & you know it needs adressing.

Player switching, responsiveness & team positioning are things that work as they're intended that it allows to relax and enjoy the other aspects of the game such as the creativity & the drama of football.

No other game makes me swear every match like 2020 does due to someone doing something at somepoint which would make Sir Alex slit his wrists. If I'm muttering swear words under my breath every match then something is wrong.

No other game makes me swear every match like 2020 does due to someone doing something at somepoint which would make Sir Alex slit his wrists. If I'm muttering swear words under my breath every match then something is wrong.

I've been in a state of constant "fucking shit game...look at that..wtf...gotta see the replay of that move/positioning" pretty much since after the first update of this game,and didn't play it for 6 months.
When I returned to it,it was the same story,haven't felt that in any previous Pes games.

Haha pes 2020 perfectly summed up

Dare I say it but I started my 878th ML on superstar in search of mastering the game and it all clicked just enough tonight for me to feel an ounce of enjoyment I started off well opening game I was 2 nil down vs trapani at HT same old story with cyborg defending by them

but I played great 2nd half and pulled it back to 2-2 and should have won then a couple of 0-0 draws and finally a 1-0 win before knocking out serie A side Genoa in the cup in an epic 4-3 win at home after getting a 1-1 draw in the first leg by riding my luck and holding of for dear life

Thing is I'll turn it on tomorrow and everything will likely turn back into pure hell and frustration but I think tonight was the peak of enjoyment I can get from 2020 trying to beat those cyborgs is hard work

@Chris Davies interesting point about difficulty levels. A few years ago a hard game was a 5-1 or 4-0 thrashing. Now it's a frustrating nothing game, where typically the opposition creates few chances and scores from one of them, and the user creates fewer chances and doesn't.

This must have been a conscious decision from the developers somewhere at is also applies to the game beginning with F and ending with A, with a two digit number on the end.

Haha pes 2020 perfectly summed up

Dare I say it but I started my 878th ML on superstar in search of mastering the game and it all clicked just enough tonight for me to feel an ounce of enjoyment I started off well opening game I was 2 nil down vs trapani at HT same old story with cyborg defending by them

but I played great 2nd half and pulled it back to 2-2 and should have won then a couple of 0-0 draws and finally a 1-0 win before knocking out serie A side Genoa in the cup in an epic 4-3 win at home after getting a 1-1 draw in the first leg by riding my luck and holding of for dear life

Thing is I'll turn it on tomorrow and everything will likely turn back into pure hell and frustration but I think tonight was the peak of enjoyment I can get from 2020 trying to beat those cyborgs is hard work
Mastering the SS in one season is too soon, as the core ML-TS mechanics work now. You must wait until second season at least, when your real TS, this that comes before any team role effect, will hit 85+. Then is the point that you can evaluate the mastery level.

There still will be CPU BS, but having the real TS 85~90 makes your team play close to exhibition mode game play.

In my current save, reaching 2025 by now it happened two times to me. Switched clubs in January, started with a "disguised" 80+ TS, the real TS without the captain with teamrole effect was 60+ and my win rate was 33%. Next season same roster, true TS 85, disguised TS 90 and I run a 15W-1D-1L. Unfortunately you have always to waste a season, no matter what, in order to build up the proper TS, so you can rate your mastery level. Everything earlier, is just distorted by the heavy effect of low TS. Before any shitty CPU cheating, boosting, handicap.

If you have the patience to reach 2nd or 3rd season with same or similar roster and high real TS you will be amazed by yourself and what you see. Judging by first season only, is impossible to have a safe result of your mastery level, cause the intervantion of CPU handicap on your players is too intensive.

Last edited:
I'm sure this was discussed before but still. I think I might be going crazy. So I started a new master league with 1FC Union Berlin using Evo Web patch, and after my 3rd victory playing at Top Player difficulty, the next 3 matches my players started feeling like snails, I honestly though there was something wrong with my input mapping, as if the players were stuck into the finesse dribbling animation all the time. I closed the game, checked my button mapping and nothing, the Right Stick was working as intended. I realized the reason to why my players were behaving like crap, I was just not willing to admit.
It annoys me deeply how much of these "dynamic difficulty" stuff they keep putting into the game to make up for laziness on programming the AI to be actually more challenging instead of nerfing you or boosting the CPU skill to unrealistic levels. It totally breaks immersion.

As for now, this BS seems to be happening every 3 game cycle, I kid you not.

This is what I´ve been feeling in the latest years. The game isn´t harder, instead your team plays worse. This concept is totally wrong on games and proves the lack of interest by the companies to invest in a better programing for a true challenge that tests your abilities in "realistic" way, one that makes sense.
This year I moved away from this game and I probably won´t be back until some new football game rises from nowhere, as I don´t believe that they´ll change their mind anytime soon, about doing something completely diferent. I blame the online gaming masses tbh. It changed the course and objective on gaming industry.

did not watch my download queue last night and patch 1.13 slipped in... "ah, f it" i said... lets play. first match i tried was the same fixture i just played with the vanilla that night (ManUnited vs. Milan). night and day! that speed increase alone... the movements... na... really not my type of game. deinstalled the patch, copied over my vanialla save: aaahhhh.... relieve! :D

i see the vanilla as a football sandbox now (exhibition matches is what i'm playing). not a full game... i play the hand full of licensed teams in the hand full of licensed stadiums whenever i feel in the mood. and i dont turn off my console at the end of the day being depressed or something. i turn it off and looking forward to have another match the next day or the day after...

it could (and should!!) all be much better, but i'm glad i found a way how i can handle the given situation without my nerves being wrecked. never lost my passion for the sport and the games that represent it along the way though!!!! :RSCARF: dont get me wrong here! :BYE:

btw: i was lend an ipad pro from a friend. i will try copying over some videos and edit on that pad.
you wont believe me what awesome goals i had just last night. i dont know... maybe the RS dribble clicked for me and thats the reason... but you gotta see these goals. i was so proud! so happy! never in my life i have scored those beautiful looking goals! and they did feel good at the sticks as well!
i know, this might sound funny when i admit feeling joy while playing this game (VANILLA!!!) that has so many problems... but i do (for what it is)! ;)

im even more sure now, that all i need (not want) is good gameplay. gimme like 10 licensed stadiums and 10 balls to this. 2020 graphics and a huge editor! but again, all i want primarily is gameplay, however stripped down the rest would be (exaggerating here a bit, but you get my thinking, right!?).

Last edited:
Just loaded the game for an exhibition match. 14mins total, played 20 game mins of the first half. Its worse than i can remember, definitely not gonna buy 2021 if its exactly this indeed.

Id agree with you to a point.
Unfortunately - in the long run - even professional difficulty will give you moments where you just want to strangle whoever coded this game. It happens less often, but after a while of playing ML on Professional - those moments will accumulate and drive you insane.

As it stands - there are no settings on earth that can make the game fair and enjoyable. Not in Master League anyway.

Back
Top Bottom