eFootball PES 2021 Discussion Thread (CONSOLES)

10 minute match, PA0 on Top Player
only one of those 14 fouls was in overtime.. can't even be because of rivalry since it's not even possible for national teams to assign rivals (probably it's hard coded?)
I guess so , I get around 4 or 5 per game but then out if nowhere I will get 11 especially if it goes to ET and I always put it down to fatigue setting but who knows

I have a dream... A world where there's only manual so you know... you have to play the game... as opposed to this Assisted world we have right now. Don't get it twisted, PES2021 is a FOOTBALL game but you wouldn't know that if you'd only play this game with assistance... It looks really arcady when you can just press 4 buttons to score a goal, however, on manual, there's muuuch more to it.

When did Football games become so easy? Was it this gen? It's like the only genre you don't need to have brain cells to play lol, both fifa and pes.

Would it be so unrealistic to hope for a only manual future? If PES pushes for the realism, surely they need to drop the comical assistance levels right?? Anyhow I'm starting to win every game, against assisted or not, but it just looks like I'm playing against a bot and not a person. It feels like shit to get scored on by bots, and I found much more toxic behaviour against us Manual players online - when people see me dribbling and stuff, joga bonito, passing round they face, toco y my voy, tiki taka, hollywood passes, 95% start kicking the shit out of my players and passing round the back the whole game, or forcing plays with full power bars for passing and shooting, yet by assistance they get away with that... Just completely dumb game design IMO, the better player should be "rewarded" and not punished. When I say rewarded I'm talking about giving the fouls if someone hacks me away.... the community is rotten folks - the major community (casuals etc)

I have a dream... A world where there's only manual so you know... you have to play the game... as opposed to this Assisted world we have right now. Don't get it twisted, PES2021 is a FOOTBALL game but you wouldn't know that if you'd only play this game with assistance... It looks really arcady when you can just press 4 buttons to score a goal, however, on manual, there's muuuch more to it.

When did Football games become so easy? Was it this gen? It's like the only genre you don't need to have brain cells to play lol, both fifa and pes.

Would it be so unrealistic to hope for a only manual future? If PES pushes for the realism, surely they need to drop the comical assistance levels right?? Anyhow I'm starting to win every game, against assisted or not, but it just looks like I'm playing against a bot and not a person. It feels like shit to get scored on by bots, and I found much more toxic behaviour against us Manual players online - when people see me dribbling and stuff, joga bonito, passing round they face, toco y my voy, tiki taka, hollywood passes, 95% start kicking the shit out of my players and passing round the back the whole game, or forcing plays with full power bars for passing and shooting, yet by assistance they get away with that... Just completely dumb game design IMO, the better player should be "rewarded" and not punished. When I say rewarded I'm talking about giving the fouls if someone hacks me away.... the community is rotten folks - the major community (casuals etc)
Well, other genres feature assists too.
I wouldn’t go full manual but instead I’d set the standard game to be full manual when you first start it and give the assist to be enabled by the user in the options menu. Like the opposite how it is now. You just can’t and shouldn’t take away assist completely. I get where you coming from but they have to cater to the masses.

I wouldn’t go full manual but instead I’d set the standard game to be full manual when you first start it and give the assist to be enabled by the user in the options menu. Like the opposite how it is now. You just can’t and shouldn’t take away assist completely. I get where you coming from but they have to cater to the masses.
I think all competitions where money is involved should be default manual. All these frauds calling themselves pros and playing on PA3 or any kind of assistance is laughable

yes I believe that is true. I would have said it but I was trying to get the manual point across. They need the masses, I know that, but what about a rating system? say you go past 400 you can only play manual, would it be a feasible system?

And about other genres's assists, they are much less pronounced imo.... Take GT Sport for example, you can turn all that shit on, ABS, TC, etc, but all that makes you slower than a good/great driver. COD - aim assist is the only way to play consoles, but on pc there's no assistance and fools blast you quick - sports games suffer a lot from assists as they change the way the game is played

Mate, I admire your patience. ;) I think I could hold up if I knew that my opponent had PA1 as his highest assistance but since you can't filter that out I can't imagine how frustrating it would be playing manual against PA2-3...

But again, PA0 vs PA0 is the best online footy experience I have had. I think I can say that for sure now. It might change in a couple of weeks but yeah, it's great atm.

Regaridng the survey posted before, I don't think it's a coincidence that NO questions involved anything about Passing assistance. That won't change. People want the easy, high scoring fest. But I would love if Konami would have the stones to say; "Hey, we are not for everyone. You want a challenge? Come join us!" You know, make a thing out of it. Set yourself apart from the other game.

Mate, I admire your patience. ;) I think I could hold up if I knew that my opponent had PA1 as his highest assistance but since you can't filter that out I can't imagine how frustrating it would be playing manual against PA2-3...

But again, PA0 vs PA0 is the best online footy experience I have had. I think I can say that for sure now. It might change in a couple of weeks but yeah, it's great atm.

Regaridng the survey posted before, I don't think it's a coincidence that NO questions involved anything about Passing assistance. That won't change. People want the easy, high scoring fest. But I would love if Konami would have the stones to say; "Hey, we are not for everyone. You want a challenge? Come join us!" You know, make a thing out of it. Set yourself apart from the other game.
Yeah I did notice there was no talk about passing and assistance, not even a mention about the control options. PES next-gen will probably have the same assistance levels but I'd be lying if I said I ain't looking forward to try the new one with full manual controls :SMOKIN:

Im convinced now manual shooting alters the AI difficulty in exhibition matches. I find the AI play much better when I use basic shooting and are a lot more forgiving when playing manual shooting.

You just can’t and shouldn’t take away assist completely. I get where you coming from but they have to cater to the masses.
This.
I play PES and FIFA with full manual controls, but I'm also playing F1 from time to time (using the pad, which doesn't help) and without TC set to medium and ABS I would be a dead man by now as I would hit the wall too hard that I would suffer damage also in real life.
I mean, I'm not going for full throttle assist and full braking assist because I would get tired of the game very soon, but a little help is appreciated.

Going back to PES... Keeping them in the game but giving the chance to the user to opt in (instead of opting out like it is now) seems the most reasonable thing to do.

I think all competitions where money is involved should be default manual.
Aaaand this. Honestly, ça va sans dire.
If you're willing to prove you're the best at the game (and win money on top of that), you shouldn't have the game pass the ball for you.

My biggest issue with manual is that player awareness is not exactly good enough to facilitate using it. I remember my first go with PES 2015 when I quickly realized I can just pass around defenders and they have absolutely no chance of turning quick enough, will just run past the ball most of the time. Abused the hell out of it and then got bored. Not to speak about all the times when my players would ignore the ball completely. Game's still a bit too stiff and robotic if I'm being honest. And also it does feel there's lot less animations when I do manual passes, may be just me? How would I go about making curved passes too?

Had above not been a problem, man I am with u on full manuel boat. Cause it is awesome, true. No issues with manual shooting, I just wish I could bang in more sick longshots like in PES 5/6. Not all the time, just couple more.

I'll try asking - anyone playing ML at superstar/legend - any tips? Its top player but my team makes no runs and doesnt eat breakfast so no physicality they just get bodied 9/10 times. But maybe I'm doing things wrong?

Another tangent - are we even meant to touch low-tier teams? Sometimes I feel like legit this game is only working as intended when playing top teams. Can't handle lower stats? Idk how to describe that.

🐑

My biggest issue with manual is that player awareness is not exactly good enough to facilitate using it. I remember my first go with PES 2015 when I quickly realized I can just pass around defenders and they have absolutely no chance of turning quick enough, will just run past the ball most of the time. Abused the hell out of it and then got bored. Not to speak about all the times when my players would ignore the ball completely. Game's still a bit too stiff and robotic if I'm being honest. And also it does feel there's lot less animations when I do manual passes, may be just me? How would I go about making curved passes too?

Had above not been a problem, man I am with u on full manuel boat. Cause it is awesome, true. No issues with manual shooting, I just wish I could bang in more sick longshots like in PES 5/6. Not all the time, just couple more.

I'll try asking - anyone playing ML at superstar/legend - any tips? Its top player but my team makes no runs and doesnt eat breakfast so no physicality they just get bodied 9/10 times. But maybe I'm doing things wrong?

Another tangent - are we even meant to touch low-tier teams? Sometimes I feel like legit this game is only working as intended when playing top teams. Can't handle lower stats? Idk how to describe that.

🐑
true that. The major problems on PES are the AI, the AI awareness, the referee, the defense's shape, the counter attack player switching for me... But Manual makes it the best football game out here, though that's not saying much

Getting the hang of manual passing. 65% plus possession most games. Now onto basic dribbling..

I can get past 1 or sometimes 2 players. How does everyone on here find it dribbling wise? Not talking tricks just basic quick turns/feints etc. I understand it depends on what players you use.

Do most of you, just use the left stick or a combo of both sticks?

Getting the hang of manual passing. 65% plus possession most games. Now onto basic dribbling..

I can get past 1 or sometimes 2 players. How does everyone on here find it dribbling wise? Not talking tricks just basic quick turns/feints etc. I understand it depends on what players you use.

My player (I play fixed cursor) has ridiculous stats so this post might be useless info.

I don't really use the right stick for tricks. The only thing I occasionally do is when stationary, hold R2 and do a flick right or left with RS (relative to my player's direction) to drop a shoulder and move off in the other direction. Honestly though I'm not sure it fools them at all and whether I could just double tap sprint to get away from them.

I mainly use 2 techniques:

1) super cancel on shots (and passes) as a shot feint.

2) using left stick to drop a shoulder/body swerve

Re: number 2, I don't see lots of chat about this online but for me it can quite useful and look quite realistic when timed right. If you don't know, it's just a really subtle flick with the left stick, which doesn't change your running direction, followed then by a change of direction. It's all left stick. Sometimes that first flick will change your direction which is annoying and a sure fire way to lose possession. Easier to do when sprinting as you have more time between strides to do the initial flick but can also be done when stood still but you have to be quick.

My player (I play fixed cursor) has ridiculous stats so this post might be useless info.

I don't really use the right stick for tricks. The only thing I occasionally do is when stationary, hold R2 and do a flick right or left with RS (relative to my player's direction) to drop a shoulder and move off in the other direction. Honestly though I'm not sure it fools them at all and whether I could just double tap sprint to get away from them.

I mainly use 2 techniques:

1) super cancel on shots (and passes) as a shot feint.

2) using left stick to drop a shoulder/body swerve

Re: number 2, I don't see lots of chat about this online but for me it can quite useful and look quite realistic when timed right. If you don't know, it's just a really subtle flick with the left stick, which doesn't change your running direction, followed then by a change of direction. It's all left stick. Sometimes that first flick will change your direction which is annoying and a sure fire way to lose possession. Easier to do when sprinting as you have more time between strides to do the initial flick but can also be done when stood still but you have to be quick.
While I’m using LS dribbling much more the latest weeks, I rely on the shoulder drop/flick by slightly (!!!) flicking the LS a lot!
when I was trying hard to get the hang on RS dribbling before, I now use the step over moves that come with it (R2) in combination with the shoulder oder body fakes (LS). So it’s kinda new setup of dribbling tools to me.
RS really became second in command for me and is mainly used to get some secs off the clock now; letting my mates get in better positions and me having a bit more time spotting the recipient. So I just do that sole roll thing and try to avoid the opponent.

Last edited:
This is kind of OT but PES related so anyway...

I'm planning on getting the new PS5 eventually. Probably in the fall of 2021. I've read that you have to get a new tv to get the most out of it (support for 120ghz, HDMI 2.1 etc). But how necessary do you guys think that will be for games like PES and NHL? Will other people with a newer tv have a big advantage for online gaming? Or do you think it's more a question further down the line, when the games produced for the ps5 are more advanced?

Sorry for dumb questions but I'm a tech- moron. :)

It's a shame the way they changed the pass assistance, I think it was 2013 where PA1 had assistance on the regular X pass, but with manual through balls. That meant that most of the gameplay was still accessible/familiar to most, but anything creative or the final killer pass needed good vision/execution.

I'm not surprised PA0 isn't very popular when as a beginner it makes even the most simple passes either cock up or look unrealistic. Like when you take a throw-in and try to just cushion the ball back to the thrower. On manual this requires a tiny tap and very precise aim, or may even be impossible depending on the animation. On PA1+ you can do this easily, and it should be easy. Manual often makes these short distance delicate touches much more difficult to be accurate with than a raking 60 yard pass.

Simple exchanging of the ball between players should be easy IMO, it's the passes that need more thought which should be manual, to me this seems much more likely to be adopted more readily by casual players and accepted as the default setting.

Currently PA0 is the best option, but that's only because PA1 is basically PA3-lite. Same thing but a bit shittier. It should actually take away assistances between PA3 and PA1, not just make their effects weaker.

I use both for sure. It’s all situational. Simply turning away from a tackle can be enough sometimes.. but body feints can be killer too combined correctly
the double tap of sprint is really important for me. Once I’ve gotten away from the tackle or skipped the challenge as soon as I have the space, I use that to get away and gain more space. Be careful not to kick the ball into the next defender tho. Isolating players and trying to trick my way past them is honestly the most fun I have online (The scoring satisfaction of PES 4,5,6 is long gone.)
Even just using it to get past someone.. slowing down, waiting for their approach, which is usually very 1 dimensional, and hoping I choose the right side to double dash past them (acceleration stat is very important) ... scissors and double touch are OP I admit, but only once you’ve mastered them. I use finesse dribble too, but only when I’m in enough space that by slowing down I can manipulate the angle that the defender approaches and turn players body is certain ways, it can be really great with the right players ..
I managed to get iconic dinho in myclub and I can genuinely say I went from absolutely despising myclub games to not liking them very much. 🤙🏽

Which is nonsense because these driving aids make you faster in real life.
Yep, you're right.
I mean, a lap with all aids on is definitely faster than a lap in which you lock the brakes at every corner and spin each time you dare putting your foot on the throttle.

But if you can properly handle the car, I think you can come out faster from the corners with TC off.

Which is nonsense because these driving aids make you faster in real life.
Nah. On GT SPORT it works differently. Of course ABS and TC makes you faster IRL. But on gts it works like: you have weak,real and on value for ABS and 1-5 TC value, for it to be the fastest you should put ABS on real and TC on 1.

What I meant in my post was that if you turn the assists on to "help" you, you are probably putting TC on 5, and that makes you much slower on the game, because it's decelerating your car so it can keep the player in control, and not make him lose control of the steering

On dribbling - it comes naturally, I use what I think will work based on my years playing real football, I always been a dribbler - on pes 21 you can do whatever feint, just time it right - I like the la croqueta one for fast pace counter attacks, but a scissor and change direction can work too...

Super cancel is one of the most important features in this game, you can use it to do pretty much anything. I like faking that I will run to get the ball, say a through ball is coming towards me, I will start running to get it and change direction, if the defender comes with me, he has no chance to get the ball anymore as his turning is much heavier - PES has body momentum. I find that dribbling versus full manual is much easier than a player that holds Square, those are the hardest to dribble.

Someone mentioned the body feint, that's a fantastic one, the more attentive players WILL be fooled by that. I insist, pes looks like it's a mechanical game because of the way people play, the tools are already here, the dribbling can look amazing tbh, I find it much more nuanced than fifa's, which on a superficial level, might look better skills-wise, but I can guarantee is not

Fatigue is very noticeable in sprint speed but aside from that it does feel a bit OP when you've got some very good players on the bench and bring them on against lesser opposition. Playing with Bayern and putting Costa and Coman on against dead tired opponents is like a cheatcode.

Well it just means you have a good bench and a well balanced team where everyone plays a part.

Unless you are breaking FIFA (WEFA?) Financial Fair Play rules I think it's not cheating 🐑

Playing my first season as Watford in ML, not doing so bad at the moment.. TS started in 70 and now mid season we're at 80.
I have been able to score only 1 FK, and i have had plenty of chances.. i'm liking that

Loving the player individuality, even if these are lesser players..

As i had disabled the transfers from the first period, now in winter i changed things a bit. I got rid of 7-8 players that did not had played a minute and had offers, and i managed to buy 3 players:
  • Kalvin Phillips from Leeds (DMF)
  • Matheus Sávio from Kashiwa Reysol (AMF)
  • Rolando Mandragora from Udinese (DMF)

Kalvin hit the ground running, what an amazing DMF/CMF! he looks cool as well, definitely he'll be a legend for us. I have no idea how i was able to sign the yorkshire pirlo
Matheus has not adapted yet, but has bits of brilliance.. he just seems to be out of position most of the time and not connecting with other players :/ i hope he adapts soon because he has great potential (he has a generic face tho)
Mandragora has been good as CMF but not as DMF, he has not adapted very good either altough he's strong and has a mean shot.. he has hit the post a couple of times from a distance, which is always welcome (he also has this Antonio Margareeeeti look which is cool)

standing 4th after 23 games played, looking forward to 2nd half of season now

Oh, i've had had a lot of injuries, even 2 in the same match

Last edited:
Cheers pal. I still play now albeit not a high level and speed is my attribute for getting past someone mixed with a simple feint or quick footwork. You can replicate this on pes which is good.
I use both for sure. It’s all situational. Simply turning away from a tackle can be enough sometimes.. but body feints can be killer too combined correctly
the double tap of sprint is really important for me. Once I’ve gotten away from the tackle or skipped the challenge as soon as I have the space, I use that to get away and gain more space. Be careful not to kick the ball into the next defender tho. Isolating players and trying to trick my way past them is honestly the most fun I have online (The scoring satisfaction of PES 4,5,6 is long gone.)
Even just using it to get past someone.. slowing down, waiting for their approach, which is usually very 1 dimensional, and hoping I choose the right side to double dash past them (acceleration stat is very important) ... scissors and double touch are OP I admit, but only once you’ve mastered them. I use finesse dribble too, but only when I’m in enough space that by slowing down I can manipulate the angle that the defender approaches and turn players body is certain ways, it can be really great with the right players ..
I managed to get iconic dinho in myclub and I can genuinely say I went from absolutely despising myclub games to not liking them very much. 🤙🏽
Thanks mate. Like realife, I just use a mixture of speed and a feint with the dip of the shoulder or a shot cancel. I think using a good player with good dribbling stats make a difference, such as F. Anderson /Neymar or dybla.
To be fair everytime I do a trick, more times than not, I give the ball away. The over running thing when you end up giving the ball to the defender is so annoying and I do this often especially on the counter.

Finesse dribble is still r2 I assume? Wasn't sure if it was still present in the latest pes game. I don't remember using it last year.

Yep, you're right.
I mean, a lap with all aids on is definitely faster than a lap in which you lock the brakes at every corner and spin each time you dare putting your foot on the throttle.

But if you can properly handle the car, I think you can come out faster from the corners with TC off.
I mean, it's pretty off topic, but modern GT3 cars for example are literally built around their traction control. The level of traction control can be adjusted to control the amount of slip under acceleration which helps with getting the car to rotate out of the corner. Similarly, ABS helps massively when trailbraking into the corner.

Back
Top Bottom